The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to land 8 clients a week ($4,000) right now to fund your business

HOVLane

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Sep 25, 2014
Here's how to bank money now so you can get the down payment for a duplex, start a business, etc.

The method's old and forgotten but works like a charm.

==Situation==

Businesses, for the most part, all have websites. However, if their small, they’re likely to use website builders like Weebly, webs.com, etc. These companies offer WYSIWYG solutions that are easy to use, cheap, and simple.

However, most include “powered by weebly.com” or other attribution text on the site. These degrade the site’s professionalism.

In addition to that, these solutions are generic and the design will never accurately reflect the site owner’s business.

Because of that, owners of these sites are in a pain state: they have a site but they don’t really like it and they don’t know how to get a better one (if they did they would have never went with a website builder in the first place).

==Mission==

Contact these website owners, talk to them about their situation (it might not be on their mind when you talk to them), offer your solution, and sell them a website.

==Execution==

===Build a list of website builders===

Google “build a free website”. That will give you a list of SaaSes (software as a service) that you can target.

Find example sites hosted by the SaaS and find a search footprint.

For example, weebly.com is #3 on the list for me. All weebly.com sites have "powered by weebly” in the footer by default (unless its removed in the config file). The footprint is "powered by weebly”.

===Find business owners using the SaaS with advanced search operators===

Here’s a guide on what advanced search operators are.

Continuing the example, lets say I want to business in Las Vegas.

My first search query is "powered by weebly" "muffler" "las vegas" -site:weebly.com. Here’s the logic:

“powered by weebly” - this is here because we only want weekly.com sites.

“Muffler” - I’m targeting muffler shops. I want to see how many muffler shops in LV are using weebly.com.

“Las vegas” - I only want results that have the word “las vegas” in them. Usually, businesses include their address in the site’s footer.

-site:weebly.com - I only want to see results where the business owner is smart enough to pay for a $12/year domain name. If they’re too cheap for that, their not serious about business IMO.

The result is one. One muffler shop in LV whose powered by weebly. www.saharamufflerlv.com/.

That query was too specific. Lets broaden it.

"powered by weebly" "las vegas" -site:weebly.com reports 107,000 results. Now I know there are 107,000 business in las vegas powered by weebly.com! That’s enough to get a few sales!

You can either go down the list of 107,000 and find prospects but, note, Google only shows the first 1,000 results. Or, you can add another search parameter like “doctor” or “lawyer” or “flowers” to get only doctors, attorneys, florists.

When you’ve got a good query, take the sites and place them in a spreadsheet.

===Build a list of business to contact===

Go down the spreadsheet and find the business’s contact info. Find personal details about the owner too if its available. Its always better to call them and say “Hey, is Jack here?” rather than “Hey, can I talk to the owner?”

===Contact the businesses===

Once you have the contact info, go down the list and begin calling. A list of 500 is good for a week of work.

Here’s what you do when you’re on the phone:

get in contact with the person who has the ability to buy a new website. No receptionists.

tell them about their current website and ask if they’re happy with their website. If yes, go to next lead. If no, tell them what you can do for them.

Some will be interested and, sometimes, they’ll want to talk to you in person about the website. That’s fine. That’s also why you should target business in your local area.

===Close the deal===

You can close on the phone or in person. When you close the deal, get 50% upfront and 50% upon delivery. Have the agreement in writing.

==Appendix==

===Pricing===

I price my websites starting at $495. Usually, these businesses just want a simple website that can be done in an afternoon.

===The web design process===

Here’s how you do web design:

ask the client to pick 3 website he/she likes. Those will be used as guides for your design.

for local businesses, they’ll mostly want to get people to call them. The key thing to design for is that the phone number is in the header, the site is easy to navigate, the pages clearly explain what the business does, and that the address and hours are easily visible.

create a wireframe for the business. Get them to approve it.

create a PSD mockup for the business. Get them to approve the drawing.

turn the PSD into a wordpress template. Super easy if you based your drawing off of a boilerplate.

get them to approve the site when you deliver.

collect the last 50% payment.

===Sample web design contracts===

Here’s some samples for you to look at. http://www.aiga.org/standard-agreement/

If you’re closing over the phone or once you’ve got the hang of this, you can close clients who are outside of your physical area. This is *awesome*. Use http://www.signority.com/ when you do this. It’s a hell lot better than having an “email agreement.”

===How to outsource this===

If you don’t know how to write PHP, HTML, and CSS (what Wordpress runs on) you can find a competent Wordpress designer and developer on eLance, Freelancer, or even craigslist for $10/hour.

If you go this route, send them the 3 sites the client wants and their description for the site. Ask for a wireframe. Get that approved. Than ask for a PSD. Get that approved. Than get the dude to turn it into a Wordpress theme. It shouldn’t take more than 2 weeks and $250 if you chose to use a boiler plate.

===What’s a boiler plate===

Web developers have made simple default themes that are properly coded. All you have to do is edit the file to get it to look like how you want it to look. This will save you a ton of time. The other route is to test the design over and over again to make sure it looks right on monitors, phones, and tablets as well as all the browsers past and present. Huge hassle.

Good ones are twitter bootstrap, responsive, boiler plate, and a few others.

===Why 50% upfront===

Here’s why:

you want the client to commit to the deal. Its terrible when they back out after you’ve started work.

you want the client to pay you. It sucks if you’ve have their shit all done and they all the sudden have “problem” and can’t pay you.

you can use the cash to pay your freelancer.

===Hosting===

If they have their own hosting, that’s fine.

Offer to host it for something like $20/month if they don’t.

For hosting, I recommend KnownHost. Their support will get back to you within 5 minutes. They’ll also go out of their way to help you with your site.

==Conclusion==

You’ve now learned how to find leads on Google, how to contact them, how to sell them a website, and how to do it yourself or outsource it. If you can’t code, obviously, outsource it. If you can do it yourself, upset the hell out of your service and charge them more than $495.

Most people won’t pick up the phone. This is totally normal. I say its 5%-10% that pick up. In a day of calling (8hrs), you can land 1 client if you’re a total noob. No joke. The target is basically a sitting duck and the $495 price is *cheap*.

Keep your head up, continue at it, and, once you’ve figured out the ropes, its easy to net $4,000 in a week with this method.

By the end of the summer, you should have enough money to do something else. Its also a good safety net.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
...nevermind. Post deleted

Last edited:

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
People using the website builders like the fact that they can change things themselves, custom design is a pain not a solution.

All your doing is trying to move them onto wordpress maybe, with a theme? I dont see how they gain?

The Duc

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
May 18, 2014
AZ
Take this same exact framework and apply it to a million industries other than web design.

I love B2B sales. Especially if you pick an industry with repeat clients.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
All your doing is trying to move them onto wordpress maybe, with a theme? I dont see how they gain?

Hey Tafy, I see where you are coming from but I do think this has mileage. I expect a lot of the people you see in the hospitality niche depend on their sites for a good part of their business so are much more savvy and have more exacting standards regarding their website demands.

However the web is a big place and most sites built with stuff like Weebly were not meant to be a prime part of a businesses strategy. However the web has become much more important over the years. It is easy for businesses to overlook this fact as time marches on and very soon they are left behind.

Just out of curiosity I Google'd a couple of local businesses. The first a Tyre/Exhaust centre that has a multi-million pound turnover and their site goes back (unchanged) to 2010, has broken links and images, and looks like it was done for a school project. The link to the 'designers' site in the footer leads to a 404.

The other site is for a small architectural practice that do a lot of work for schools, colleges and local government and have some prestigious clients. I built them an award winning website back in 2002. Guess what. It's still the exact same site. Save for an update of contact details it has not changed a pixel.

You have to remember there are a lot of small to medium businesses that have outdated websites that are not mobile friendly (and many have not been updated in an age). Those that have built a site themselves may not want to take on the task again. Or their son/daughter, niece or nephew may well have created the site as a favour and are no longer interested (off at college/uni or working) so they may have been left with something they cannot update themselves.

I recently read that a huge percentage of UK sites are still not mobile friendly and of course since 21st April Google are actively penalising such sites in the search listings.

So, combine the ability to be seen by the majority of uses correctly on their mobile devices. The benefit of a boost in Google Rankings on mobile searches. And the kudos of being one up, or at least on equal terms with their direct competition. I for one see that as a win for the client even if they cannot directly update the site themselves.

Every potential client will have their own viewpoint and circumstances but there are enough small/medium businesses out there to never run out of prospects and if the above benefits resonates with just 3-4 percent of them then you can make a decent wage out of it.

@HOVLane If anyone asks me how to make a living short term I shall be pointing them here. REP++ to you sir.

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Another angle for the salesman and benefit to the business owner (for EU sites at least) is cookie privacy legislation. It is law that any site within the EU MUST seek permission to store cookies on a visitors PC or mobile device. Despite this being law throughout the EU a huge number of websites do not comply and are thus flouting the law.

They might well feel they are outside of the directive but a great number use Google Analytics and GA is covered by the requirements of the EU Cookie Law. This means the website owners must seek consent in order to use GA legally.

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
Another angle for the salesman and benefit to the business owner (for EU sites at least) is cookie privacy legislation. It is law that any site within the EU MUST seek permission to store cookies on a visitors PC or mobile device. Despite this being law throughout the EU a huge number of websites do not comply and are thus flouting the law.

They might well feel they are outside of the directive but a great number use Google Analytics and GA is covered by the requirements of the EU Cookie Law. This means the website owners must seek consent in order to use GA legally.

This I like a lot better. In practice it means a banner across the top that the user must either agree to or X away. You can make that banner once then sell it over and over, only changing colors and wording for each site.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
It is law that any site within the EU MUST seek permission to store cookies on a visitors PC or mobile device

This is from the ICO goverment website that enforces this law

"Bear in mind that in the UK, the ICO is taking a relaxed approach to analytics. Their guidance is that analytics cookies are fairly unintrusive and that therefore, as long as you inform users about their use, explicit consent is not required."

So all you need is a privacy policy essentially, and users dont have to see the super annoying popups, sliders and top bars.

voltron

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 26, 2014
Canada

James Beattie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
May 14, 2015
Nice post even though it is copied however I'm sure it will help out a few guys on here. I am a web developer and this is certainly not a way I had thought about gaining new clients. I may try it if my work dries up a bit!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
@HOVLane how has this approach worked out for you? How long you've been doing it for and has it worked out well for you? It is always interesting to see how others approach things.

The two big downsides that I see here is that these engagements would be both low cost and one off. You'd spend more time cold calling than you would developing.

If it is just a temp solution to get $$$ for another business, fair enough, you do what you gotta do, but if it is a longer term thing then I'd recommend you spend some time thinking about recurring revenue and raising rates (see here).

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Thanks @SlowlaneJay, business has been good. It's nice to spend a bit of time catching up here though.

Another resource for freelancers looking to step things up a bit: Breaking the Time Barrier. I love this book so much.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
If it is just a temp solution to get $$$ for another business, fair enough, you do what you gotta do, but if it is a longer term thing then I'd recommend you spend some time thinking about recurring revenue and raising rates (see here).

Just a stepping stone to put some money in the bank @Mr.B:

By the end of the summer, you should have enough money to do something else. Its also a good safety net.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
"Bear in mind that in the UK, the ICO is taking a relaxed approach to analytics. Their guidance is that analytics cookies are fairly unintrusive and that therefore, as long as you inform users about their use, explicit consent is not required."

Nice find @tafy, I hadn't seen that. As you say they will still need a privacy policy which most don't have.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Take this same exact framework and apply it to a million industries other than web design.

Following your lead bro. Such a good move. Things are moving forward for me, and hope to be joining you on a beach in Greece soon.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
^^^ Yeah, B2B rocks. They are more likely to think in terms of ROI.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I love this post because it's both motivational and practical, it's been going through my mind the whole day

There are easier ways to do this. I would do it like this:

- Buy mobile renegade - You can find it somewhere on the internet if you Google it
- Get their gmail plugin because it collects the Powered By data, but I don't know if I would target the powered by sites.
- Get some proxies
- Target a local city
- Click run to collect the emails and phone numbers
- Hit the businesses with cold calls and emails. For cold calls find a script online or follow this format: - Intro +hook, then 3-4 qualifying questions then start closing towards either a sale or more likely a follow-up apt.
For emails:
- Load the emails into a service called quickmail with a 3 sequence follow-up
- Make the emails sound personal use the quick mail tags like {{company}} to insert company name and stuff
- If you hit sending limits through gmail then use something like SendGrid

You could skip cold calling if it's too hard but sales will be lower. This process automates most of it while still maintaining a level of quality in the emails. And you will come up with much better ideas/upsells/etc..

But use that process with some tweaks. It works.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago

That's a good point. There are so many ways to make businesses more efficient. Energy brokering is just one example. So easy to make money in the real world when you have the right services to sell, and if you have the right niche, you can scale nationally and - in some cases - globally. I think it works to your advantage if you can have multiple services to sell, on a global basis. Your connecting and networking capabilities grow exponentially.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
@Andy Black

LOL. Exactly! If you can get to the owner directly, or if you can access the operations manager, it's more likely to come down to the numbers. And when you are not asking for any money upfront... you win.

I recently saved a client of mine $100,000 on their energy bill, and this increased their property value by over $1,000,000. Because the owner of the property didn't have to put any money out of pocket, it was a no-brainer for him to move forward with a massive project. My competition doesn't have anything like that set up. I feel sorry for em'.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Mobile landing pages are a huge opportunity. I suggest anyone try it.

Combine with a simple mobile advertisement and you can instantly get in the game.

I'll write a post about mobile landing pages and how to offer them unless @Andy Black gets to it first (and honestly, for everyone's sake, I hope he does LOL)

goodguude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
428%
Jun 12, 2016
Germany

Combine with a simple mobile advertisement and you can instantly get in the game.

I'll write a post about mobile landing pages and how to offer them unless @Andy Black gets to it first (and honestly, for everyone's sake, I hope he does LOL)

Can't wait for it! ;)

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014

Please do!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Can't wait for it! ;)

It'll be a little while but the main thing you have to understand about mobile is that in 2016, people are doing the same stuff on mobile as they are on desktop, with one key exception...

...they CALL more on mobile.

If people are on mobile, they're simply more likely to want to get on the phone.

Take advantage of this with local lead gen. For example, I wanted to find an Indian restaurant in Scarborough (where my office is), so I googled it on my phone.

First result: a restaurant with a click-to-call ad. Problem is, I didn't know what I wanted, so I need to get the menu.

Their ad had a menu button, which showed me, quite easily, all of their menu items.

Now, I had two options: navigate through their mobile site (by scrolling back up to the top... ugh) and find their number, or go back to the pay-per-call ad.

Wouldn't it have been easier if I could simply click what I wanted and send an order automatically? Or, if I can't do that, just click and be on the line with the restaurant as soona s I know what I want?

This is one example but it goes deeper

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.