The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to fix a broken mindset?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Taktik

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 15, 2018
Hi guys,

after trying to start a business for several years now and not really getting anything together except for one, I finally understand that the biggest problem holding me back not only in business but in life in general is my mindset.

I'm just not yet the person to build a successful company long term and stick with it when things get tough.

I'm in the process of starting a new company at the moment. The closer I get to actually implementing my plans, the more resistance, doubts, etc. I encounter, which are extremely hindering me and have brought progress to a standstill. In the last eight months I have made progress that I could have easily done in less than half the time. It has gotten to the point where my inertia is giving me depression.

The question now is how I can change my mindset, to become the person, I need to be to reach my goals, so to speak. I know it won't work overnight, but maybe you guys have some tips for me on how to make it work in the medium to long term, while still trying to get a business going. I see this as a work-in-progress, optimally getting better with time, step by step.

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Marigold

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 15, 2018
Glasgow & Malaga
Hi guys,

after trying to start a business for several years now and not really getting anything together except for one, I finally understand that the biggest problem holding me back not only in business but in life in general is my mindset.

I'm just not yet the person to build a successful company long term and stick with it when things get tough.

I'm in the process of starting a new company at the moment. The closer I get to actually implementing my plans, the more resistance, doubts, etc. I encounter, which are extremely hindering me and have brought progress to a standstill. In the last eight months I have made progress that I could have easily done in less than half the time. It has gotten to the point where my inertia is giving me depression.

The question now is how I can change my mindset, to become the person, I need to be to reach my goals, so to speak. I know it won't work overnight, but maybe you guys have some tips for me on how to make it work in the medium to long term, while still trying to get a business going. I see this as a work-in-progress, optimally getting better with time, step by step.

Thanks.
I can relate. For me it's just focusing on this hour or this day and not being overwhelmed by it all. I also completely surrender to the fact that some days and weeks I just won't feel like it. I'm a woman so that's not likely to apply to you as much.

But yeah, every day is a step forward. Mindset is a constant work in progress. Sounds cliché as F*ck but it's about the journey.

Rather than tell yourself you're not the person to build a successful company long term and stick with it, tell yourself you're becoming the person that is building a company. You won't ever 'get there' anyway.

Stop overthinking it and focus on this present moment and what's the action you need to take right now, not tomorrow or next month or next year.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi guys,

Thanks.
1) I think the change *can* happen overnight.

2) I think you’re likely in your own way.

I found it easy to get out of my own way by putting other people first:

“Is there someone I can help right now? Am I not doing them a disservice by not getting out there, today?”

Maybe listen to “Who have you helped?” in my signature.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I agree with Andy, seek to serve. Don't make it about you but about your people and you'll get immediate momentum.
“Seek to Serve.”

Nice!

D

Deleted78083

Read "Personality isn't permanent".

It's a book that helps you reframe the traumas in your past which influence your present, then help you build the future you want by changing your mindset and encouraging you to identify with who you would like to be, and not who you were.

I am almost finished with the book and plan on writing a thread about it because what I found there was absolutely gold.

Marigold

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 15, 2018
Glasgow & Malaga

It's a book that helps you reframe the traumas in your past which influence your present, then help you build the future you want by changing your mindset and encouraging you to identify with who you would like to be, and not who you were.

I am almost finished with the book and plan on writing a thread about it because what I found there was absolutely gold.
I took Jordan Peterson's Understand Yourself questionnaire after listening to him speak about entrepreneurs and sales people and it was deeply fascinating/disturbing. I recommend it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Vpqm2IaPE

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Its unconscious requirement that you're trying to go against.
Find what that requirement is.
Decide if you want to shift up and fulfill it
or decide to leave it.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012
Read "The Greatest Salesman in the World"

If you read it right it will take you 10 months to read it.

For me, it's a game-changer when it comes to mindset.

BTW the book is about mindset. The teachings also apply if you are not a salesman.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
I've found personally when I'm in a DOD, feedback becomes really important.

Either talk about what you're doing with people, or begin to reward yourself for small wins. It's only in retrospect that you see the purpose in what you've done. Become better at recognizing these small wins and how they contribute to your ultimate effort.

You didn't lose in the past 8 months, you discovered in the process of doing what you can now do in half the time. Thats progress. That's learning.

Personally I've learned that being hard on myself isn't what helps me. Being loving and kind to myself is what brightens my perspective and allows me to push through.

Alfie321

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2016
One thing that helped me was having positive past references in other areas that hard works pays off eventually. Specifically going out and getting better at social skills, coming from a background of a lack of them.

If I could make a random girl like me out of nowhere in 20 minutes through years of hard work, If people thought I was cool without having money and wanted me to hang out with them, how can I not build a business? If I could do all of those things normal people think only happen in movies, then there's no reason I could not do this :)

Taktik

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 15, 2018

BTW the book is about mindset. The teachings also apply if you are not a salesman.

Thanks for the tip, I will read the book.

I've found personally when I'm in a DOD, feedback becomes really important.

Either talk about what you're doing with people, or begin to reward yourself for small wins. It's only in retrospect that you see the purpose in what you've done. Become better at recognizing these small wins and how they contribute to your ultimate effort.

You didn't lose in the past 8 months, you discovered in the process of doing what you can now do in half the time. Thats progress. That's learning.

Personally I've learned that being hard on myself isn't what helps me. Being loving and kind to myself is what brightens my perspective and allows me to push through.

I have heard so much about small wins, but never really put it into practice. Thanks for the reminder, you are absolutely right. I have to do that now.

I like, how you reframed the last eight months, that is the way to go for me.

Being hard on myself is the standard practice for me, but it never really did me any good - the opposite is true. How are you loving and kind to yourself? Do you maybe have any tips?

One thing that helped me was having positive past references in other areas that hard works pays off eventually. Specifically going out and getting better at social skills, coming from a background of a lack of them.

If I could make a random girl like me out of nowhere in 20 minutes through years of hard work, If people thought I was cool without having money and wanted me to hang out with them, how can I not build a business? If I could do all of those things normal people think only happen in movies, then there's no reason I could not do this :)

This is a very good way to see it. Thank you for that.
Do you have any tips on how to become better at social skills?

VPchris

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
May 4, 2019

I love that! It's audacious to think that our life is fixed because of our personality. That we can somewhat be a victim of that.

Let me share with you a couple of ideas that changed the game for me (from the book 'Crazy Good' by Steve Chandler)

- Choices. You have a choice. Do it, or don't. Just make the decision, nobody is going to do it for you.

- 'You don't have to believe in yourself. Just do the work. Test. Experiment. Go out there and do it.' --> Are you waiting for the belief first? Then it probably won't happen.

- Do one minute a day. You can do one minute. Anyone can. Of the thing that is calling you, do that.

-Get rid of 'being busy' and ask yourself: If I could only do ONE thing right now, that would make an impact on my business. What would that be?

- And the biggest one of all: You do not need to create a positive belief or mindset about the thing you want to do or achieve - You Just Go Do It. Over and over again until you get it. Like riding a bike. Or learning to walk.

Hope that helps, it's not always easy!!

eruj22

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 21, 2018
How are you loving and kind to yourself? Do you maybe have any tips?
It wasn't meant for me but still maybe I can help you. For the past month I have been working with a book called 'You can heal your life' and in it there are 2 really powerful exercises that I think can help you. First one is to say to yourself in front of the mirror: "I love you and accept you the way you are." I do it when I brush my teeth in the morning and in the evening. The second exercise is that you constantly repeat in your mind: "I appreciate myself" and do this few hundred times in a single day; it becomes your mantra.
Maybe these exercises sound a little bit silly but their effect with repetition is powerful. Just try it for at least a week and see where it gets you. The power lies in consistency. Through constant practice you start to believe the statements and your view of yourself slowly shifts toward loving yourself.

For changing your mindset I can recommend you Mindset 101 from Tom Bilyeu. He tells you step by step how to rewire your brain into growth mindset. But it's up to you to do the work.

Last edited:

Christopher104

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 27, 2020
That kind of thinking will destroy your confidence. you need to change "I'm just not yet the person" to "I will be".
I'm in the process of starting a new company at the moment. The closer I get to actually implementing my plans, the more resistance, doubts, etc. I encounter, which are extremely hindering me and have brought progress to a standstill.
You came all this way and now you're afraid of rejection? So what if your company fails, that's the beauty of being an entrepreneur. You get to learn from your mistakes and grow as a person from them. You think that's possible in a corporate world? In a job you are shunned and shamed for failure. Fail too many times and you're fired.
how I can change my mindset, to become the person, I need to be to reach my goals, so to speak.
your goal is to become a stronger person at the end of the day than when you woke up this morning. Tell yourself to man up and quit being a work/risk avoidant little boy. While you're having to attend a job and sacrifice your time to make someone else richer, they laugh at you behind closed doors and talk about how stupid you are.

anytime you feel resistance you need to tell yourself:
"Shut up, quit acting like a little bitch, and get it done."

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

10 months?!?!?!?!

lgkV60a.gif

No.1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Nov 14, 2020

A psychologist friend of mine used to say "You're not your past, you're what you do with it".

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Hi Taktik,

why did you name the thread 'how to fix a broken mindset?' - why do you feel (or think) it is broken and needs fixing?

The question now is how I can change my mindset, to become the person, I need to be to reach my goals, so to speak.

Why do you want to reach these goals? Why are they important to you?

bracknelson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 28, 2020
A broken mindset means to live your life with constant fear so everybody wants to fix their mindset. In a fixed mindset, people believe their qualities are fixed traits and therefore cannot change.
Some effective ways help you to upgrade your mindset:
  • Change your Self-Talk
  • Change your Language
  • Create new habits to support your mindset change
  • Determine the mindset you need and act as if
  • Surround yourself with people that match your desired mindset
  • Jump out of your comfort zone

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics