The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How should I do market research for my product without offending/annoying?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Fr33zerPop

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 14, 2020
Portland, Oregon, USA
Hey there,
I'm excited to be creating a graphic product aimed at musicians. However, one of my weak areas (that I love to try to skip) is actually engaging with my potential customers. I'm struggling with a way to ask them about my product without coming across salesy. I know people love to give their opinion, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by asking in the wrong environment. So far, my ideas are:
-- Directly PM or email musicians that I find (sloooow, and hasn't had good response rate)
-- Post a poll with a link to my demo/samples on places like FB or other social (is this cool to do?)
-- Post ad and offer something for free in exchange for survey (I like this, but I'd have to pay for the ad)

Are there better ways to do this? My target audience is undiscovered/amateur musicians.
Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Are you a musician?

Are there Facebook groups or forums of undiscovered/amateur musicians?

Can you join those communities and become a genuine and valued member?

Can you later on ask questions that gets people to raise their hand if they’re interested?

Can you then PM and get into a convo with people at least interested enough to raise their hand first?

Fr33zerPop

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 14, 2020
Portland, Oregon, USA
Are you a musician?

Can you later on ask questions that gets people to raise their hand if they’re interested?

Can you then PM and get into a convo with people at least interested enough to raise their hand first?
Thanks. Yeah, that's kinda what I'm thinking. But one step beyond that, I'm not really sure how to approach that conversation. Are there any helpful demo "scripts" out there that will help me not put my digital foot in my mouth? I feel like I'm asking my friends for advice on how to talk to girls, here! LOL.
Is honesty the best method here?
Something like, "Hey guys, I'm working on a new project to help you guys get "x" done. Would you mind giving me your honest feedback? I want to pour my energy into a product that genuinely helps us as undiscovered artists. Here's my quick survey: <link>"

Fr33zerPop

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 14, 2020
Portland, Oregon, USA
Are you a musician?

And yeah, I'm that amateur musician audience as well. I split my musical time between Electronica and Christian Kids music. (Weird combo. I know. :)

Last edited:

mjb234

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 18, 2018
Hey there,
I'm excited to be creating a graphic product aimed at musicians. However, one of my weak areas (that I love to try to skip) is actually engaging with my potential customers. I'm struggling with a way to ask them about my product without coming across salesy. I know people love to give their opinion, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by asking in the wrong environment. So far, my ideas are:
-- Directly PM or email musicians that I find (sloooow, and hasn't had good response rate)
-- Post a poll with a link to my demo/samples on places like FB or other social (is this cool to do?)
-- Post ad and offer something for free in exchange for survey (I like this, but I'd have to pay for the ad)

Are there better ways to do this? My target audience is undiscovered/amateur musicians.
Thanks!
I think @Andy Black's advice is really on point.

Unless you're already an active member of a community where your audience is, just going around posting polls or ads will probably come off as salesy and get ignored.

The only thing I'd add is that it's always easiest to start closer to home. If you know any musicians in your personal network, you can reach out to them directly and ask for their feedback (you can make it clear you aren't trying to sell anything upfront if you'd like).

If you can't find any musicians in your direct network, you can also ask friends/family if they know any musicians who might be able to give you feedback. If other people make the introduction you'll be less likely to come off as spammy.

The longer-term approach would be finding groups/communities and making yourself a valuable member first before asking for feedback (although I don't think it has to be super long-term).

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Sales is also very much about matching the timing and the need of the end customer.

If you were selling a product that truly delivered value to my company, then I would absolutely take the time to listen and discuss it with you.
But if you're offering something I don't need, or even worse, something similar to what I already have without providing clear information on what makes it different/better, then I am just going to ignore you.

I don't care where you find me (email, phone, social media, etc), but without concisely explaining the value, I'm not going to spend any time reading your message.
Also, personally, the "concise" part is very important. I'm never going to read one of those obnoxiously long landing pages even if it's the perfect product I've been searching for my whole life.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.