The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How long did it take you to bench press 225?

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I'm more concerned about looking good naked now, but I've always wanted to hit 3 plates. I'm following Candito's training program for more of a powerbuilding routine. Basically the big 3 (or 4 if you include OHP) plus accessory movements. Be big and strong as opposed to one of the two. I'm about 30lbs shy of 315, can hit 285 solid. No struggle, no squirming, just down and up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

joocenasty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 30, 2013
Question to the doubters: Why do you think this is owed to you?

225 may seem heavy to many here but the reality is that for several others, its commonly the second set for folks who bench. For me, I would warm up with 2 wheels, and my second set would be 4 wheels (225) but then I would wuss out and only add 2 quarters, or 2 35s and then get 6 wheels for hopefully 1-3 solid reps for the 4th, and then add a couple partials on that set to build myself towards higher weight. But that's where I left off, only being 14 weeks in after recovering from surgeries. I also trained 6 days a week though, switching off between anaerobic and aerobic, and a cheat day.

YES I would dose heavy on creatine and eat 5-7 quality meals a day which included 1 portion of protein and one portion of (usually) a low gi carb, with veggies thrown in a couple times but I would also supplement with a micronized whey protein and/or an engineered meal replacement like a myoplex with hmb. And I'll admit it, I would also eat gummi bears after a heavy workout as a reward.

This was only 10 weeks ago, but I stopped because I was told I needed to have additional surgeries (that actually didn't occur due to unforeseen events like flooded hospitals and other odd things). BUT, I am at the point to where I am going to start lifting again. Because, F*ck the system. I'm careful and know how to lift with proper form and am aware of my current limitations. And the most important part - I'll get the surgeries on MY terms.

So, to those of you who think that you're owed something here, I've got a deal for you....

I will rep 225 for you IF YOU @joocenasty @jockinbox @Alveko @allthatjazz @eddiemunster (the selfie kid with the emotional issues) each provide value by each of you purchasing 5 of MJ's books, giving two to me from each of you, for which you will also pay for shipping (for me to pass out to whomever I want) and three to yourselves to pass out to friends/family members of yours who you know wouldn't waste them.

If you guys choose to take this deal, make your purchases through MJ or however he has purchasing set up, and we'll have Allen or MJ hold them -along with the shipping fees- until I complete this task, for you. The deal though, is these books have got to be new physical books, and NOT e books.

Otherwise, honestly, I don't see value in video taping myself just to prove something.

And by the way guys, this all in good fun. Nothing is meant as a negative or from a point of anger, or anything like that!

deal?

Theres no need for you to do that lol. I bought MJ's book. I dont care if you prove yourself man, I'm saying there are many people in here who underestimate the time it takes to have elite strength, especially at certain weight classes, and to those of us who know this its just funny to see people half/quarter rep a bench press and say they did 29 reps.

I have been exercising my entire life in preparation for American Football. Its not commonly the second set, you are mistaken. I was at a top program in HS, in Texas(Elite Place for football), I was in the top 3 for bench, squat, and clean in my class. Going into my freshman year of college I maxed out at 395 on bench, 585 on squat(paralell not ATG), and 335 on Clean. That is considered elite strength for my weight (230 LBS) ,

it took me a LIFETIME of athletic preparation for this and a natural gift.

people underestimate how long it takes to have strength.

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL
its just funny to see people half/quarter rep a bench press and say they did 29 reps.

I dont lock out to keep tension on the chest, check out BPaks videos for more on the method to induce muscle growth

BUT ill tell you what since you are a big talker

for every rep you do past 29 reps I'll donate 1 book to any member on this forum
& I'll let you do "half reps"

post video tonight and state your username in the beginning for proof that its you

good luck

Alveko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 18, 2014
And on a relevant note, without targeting anyone specifically:

lol

PS: Although the reps jockinbox did may not have been legit powerlifting wise, they are more than legit for your standard gym/hypertrophy purposes imo.

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
Depends on what you mean with a 'beach body'. If you mean someone who looks like he barely lifts but has veins on some places and abs then yes, you won't need to reach heavy loads like 225lbs. You will do fine by getting advantage of the 'beginner gains' and gain some minimal mass by lifting mediocre weight.
However, it certainly doesn't mean you will get bulky from lifting heavier loads/big weights like your trainer states. Those guys on the covers of fitness magazines(not pro bodybuilding magazines) don't get their bodies by lifting 'medium weight' or some stuff like that. They train the same way pro bodybuilders do, although with more cardio and less juice.

I Agree with ya for the most part. By Beach Body I just mean lean and defined. My muscle mass is a direct reflection of my food intake. And benching 150 lbs with proper technique Builds muscle and endurance. really it all depends on how long you've been training of course. And I don't have a trainer. I know a very good trainer though.

joocenasty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 30, 2013

Hilarious lmao... And I wasn't aware that the range of motion he posted was enough, learned something new today! I've always been taught to lock out... Sorry for complaint about it @jockinbox I'm at work now but I'll get a vid up

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL
Hilarious lmao... And I wasn't aware that the range of motion he posted was enough, learned something new today! I've always been taught to lock out... Sorry for complaint about it @jockinbox I'm at work now but I'll get a vid up

Ha it's cool man I dont play any sports, just lift to look good and make more money. I'm only weighing 180 so it shouldn't be too hard for you to at least hit the 20s if you are 230s. Although I think there's an nfl challenge that's benching 225 for reps so maybe it'll be good practice for you.

Good luck

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
I can bench 445, 225 about a year, I was 15 the first time I did 225.

Make sure to squat and deadlift.

joocenasty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 30, 2013
Ha it's cool man I dont play any sports, just lift to look good and make more money. I'm only weighing 180 so it shouldn't be too hard for you to at least hit the 20s if you are 230s. Although I think there's an nfl challenge that's benching 225 for reps so maybe it'll be good practice for you.

Good luck

I made the video, only got 24! Guess I'm in worse shape than I thought! Time to
Get back to it lol let me try and get this thing up

Edit :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=vgfUel5LwzQ

according to the 1rm calculation thats a 385 max, not bad i guess

Last edited:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I started working out when I was 11. When I started, I could barely even lift the barbell without any weights on it. After a few years I stopped. Then I started again when I was 15, I decided to see what I could bench-press, so I kept adding weight. Turns out I could bench press about 255

markonestock

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Oct 16, 2014
Ohhhh buddy... I know you're 18... so you have no idea what's coming to you. It likely won't be in the next couple years, but every guy who's athletic at all ends up with lower back problems, and I can tell you the sciatic pain from benching is intense. Anything that activates your core for stabilization has the potential to activate the pain.

Most of the sharks on Shark Tank have ruptured their L4-L5 disc, the same disc I completely blew out at 19. Running, impact excersize (like INSANITY), all end up in your downfall.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I too started lifting heavier but i keep thinking is it really good for your joints/tendons, etc? Are we desigend to lift 2-3X our own body weight?

I can deadlift 130kg (280 pounds?) ...almost twice my body weight but I am in fear of ever damaging my back/discs. Already through benching (about 190 pounds|) my shoulders are as sore as heck. i might back off a bit and keep it 1.5X body weight max.

markonestock

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Oct 16, 2014
John Wendlers 5/3/1 program

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the reps are 5-3-1? i did the 3X5 but on the squats and deadlifts to max. capacity..it's a killer. I really struggle on the last set.

Another thing is my right hip as started to pain me the day of my workouts now....Dammit i am getting old.

normal deadlift is 120KG 265lbs
normal squat is 100kg 220lbs
bench press about 170lbs
pull ups wide grip with 10kg weight attached.

my weight is 74kg. 5ft 7" about 13% body fat. 44 years old

i am not sure i should go any higher.

markonestock

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Oct 16, 2014
it's not about the weight though it's about having as near perfect proportions as possible..right?

I couldn't give a monkeys droppnis what weight you lift surely it's how good your physique looks and how close you are the to Adonis measurments?

Some of the guys here saying they can lift XXXX lbs...in all fairness don't look good at all. What's the point? Body fat should be below 12% and waist/shoulder ratio 1:1.6. That's about 90% of it. No point in having huge pec's and arms but 20%+ body fat.

80% is your diet and lifestyle to look good in a suite and on the beach. Strong but lean looking. No meat heads or beer guts allowed.

markonestock

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Oct 16, 2014
bodybuilders look awful i.m.h.o. especially the steroid induced ones. Why any-one would want to look like that is beyond me. And women bb's that take steroids....christ...what a freak show.

the guys in the above video take steroids,H.G.H., and more....obsessed with size not proportions. Idiots.

joocenasty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 30, 2013
bodybuilders look awful i.m.h.o. especially the steroid induced ones. Why any-one would want to look like that is beyond me. And women bb's that take steroids....christ...what a freak show.

the guys in the above video take steroids,H.G.H., and more....obsessed with size not proportions. Idiots.

idiots because we want to be strong? you must be trolling. You obviously didnt get the message of what he was saying? Ever hear of listening before you speak?

He posted the video for the message, not the dudes in the video.

Emanuel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 23, 2014
USA
I listened and all I heard was **** **** **** ****. Some people can't get a point across without swearing it seems.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY

Trust me brother, you personally will never get too big or too strong.I would not even worry about it.

markonestock

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Oct 16, 2014
http://www.strstd.com/

For anyone doing 5/3/1, that's a really simple layout that calculates your lifts for a 4 week period.

5/3/1 is a godsend for strength increases.
Thank you i'll study it.

The B.B's do not seem to understand the difference between "working out" and strength training.

markonestock

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Oct 16, 2014
idiots because we want to be strong? you must be trolling. You obviously didnt get the message of what he was saying? Ever hear of listening before you speak?

He posted the video for the message, not the dudes in the video.

I never even looked at the video. So what's the message? Get as big as possible *** the consequences...100% those guys are on the juice. Is that ok with you? Great message. A lot of lifters in the gyms are. They are obsessed with putting on size. Crazy

B.B. has nothing to do with strength training. IN FACT bb'S ARE weak for the amount the muscle they have. Their only goal is muscle size not strength increase. Big difference.

My point was there's no point in adding bulk/unatural muscle for the sake of it like B.B's do. It looks awful, isn't good. So why on earth do it?

markonestock

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Oct 16, 2014
http://www.strstd.com/

For anyone doing 5/3/1, that's a really simple layout that calculates your lifts for a 4 week period.

5/3/1 is a godsend for strength increases.

ok i plugged my stats in. i am novice on the weights....wow they like to go heavy on the squats.

Why is it called the 5-3-1? It's three sets of 5's?...what did i miss there? Increase weright on each st..i was always told to start heaviest and work down. Shows, more than one way to skin a cat.

Why is week 4's numbers so much lower? Rest period?

By about March i am going to try and get to

Chinups weighted 5X3 +40kg
Bench press 5/3 100kg (220lb)
Squat 130kg (290lb's)
Dlift 150kg (330lb's)

about 20% under those figures right now.

and that's it. Stop there. I am more than happy with the muscle/physique I have. I am not going to keep pushing it. No need to.

thx

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.