The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I find suppliers for my Ecommerce Stores

Bond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 13, 2009
You can create a place where users go and share their stories, upload videos, images, etc, learn from each others and have items to buy (you sell them ;) )...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Let me give you a quick example here

arnis has 6k some searches. assume 80% of those goto the first SERP result (because they do). thats 4800 visitors a month of you have everything done to a T (the first spot is not to easy to get and hold)

That puts you at about 160 visits a day, at an average 3% conversion rate if everything on your site is absolutly fantastic is about 4-5 sales a day. then factor in all your costs for development, operating expenses, time, and seo man power. Will that work out for you?

Bond

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Dec 13, 2009
And don't forget that Google is about 60% of searches on the net so the real value is around 10.000 searches...

SAGAD_01

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Oct 8, 2009
Let me give you a quick example here

arnis has 6k some searches. assume 80% of those goto the first SERP result (because they do). thats 4800 visitors a month of you have everything done to a T (the first spot is not to easy to get and hold)

That puts you at about 160 visits a day, at an average 3% conversion rate if everything on your site is absolutly fantastic is about 4-5 sales a day. then factor in all your costs for development, operating expenses, time, and seo man power. Will that work out for you?

ok...will work on the expenses and see how it would turn out...

though as early as now, using the fastlane lingo here, this venture seems to be more like a singles, not a homerun...

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
And don't forget that Google is about 60% of searches on the net so the real value is around 10.000 searches...

because G had a now 70% search market share doesn't automatically mean that similar traffic and search queries are put through the remainder of search engines out there.

kconnors@tpna

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 24, 2011
Hey this is Kevin, Mike Mariani's neighbor. Good meeting you the other night. I've compiled a million questions but am finding the answers pretty quickly on the Forum. Good to know you're active on the Forum. Obviuosly I read the book and enjoyed it, I think the Forum is going to be INCREDIBLY valuable. Have a good week, I'll talk to you later.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Hey this is Kevin, Mike Mariani's neighbor. Good meeting you the other night. I've compiled a million questions but am finding the answers pretty quickly on the Forum. Good to know you're active on the Forum. Obviuosly I read the book and enjoyed it, I think the Forum is going to be INCREDIBLY valuable. Have a good week, I'll talk to you later.

Welcome! Shout over to Mike we haven't seen him here in ahwhile, to get on the forum!

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
for those sitting on the sideline, this primer works. I finally settled on what I believe will be a good niche today. Contacted 6 of the 7 major suppliers in the industry (still looking for info on #7). 4 of the six contacted me back today already. All open to doing business with me. So far anyway.

I copied the exact email bio posted, put in my info and my product info and sent it off.

Thanks bio.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
kurt... I believe you'll need a tax i.d. Most real wholesalers won't work with you unless you have an EIN and/or a State tax #. If someone does try to work with you without it, be careful because that can be a red flag. Does that answer your question or am I rambling again? :)

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
kurt... I believe you'll need a tax i.d. Most real wholesalers won't work with you unless you have an EIN and/or a State tax #. If someone does try to work with you without it, be careful because that can be a red flag. Does that answer your question or am I rambling again? :)

Yeah, I have the tax id because I am running it through and old s corp that I have, but this is at the bottom of one of the apps- PLEASE ATTACH TO THIS DOCUMENT A COPY OF YOUR SALES PERMIT

I know I could ask, but I am trying to present myself as knowledgeable in the biz

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Can't believe I have never seen this thread in the past two years!

Good stuff, Kenric!

At the last B&P, I was talking to Bill about his pretty confections site.

He mentioned you guys hire out the SEO.

Care to share??? What steps, etc.

bob- thanks for hijacking my hijack of this thread

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Can wordpress have ecommerce stores?

Where do we find templates?

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
It sounds like the just want proof in hand so people don't make up numbers. When I had my ecom a few years ago I had both Fed and State tax i.d.s and a City Permit for running an internet business. I would guess they just want a photocopy of your state tax license. This covers them from illegitimate people who try to duck out on taxes. Maybe Kenric has something to say about it but I think you'll be ok if you just send the copy.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
That's probably a good idea. It may not have been an issue before, but the states have been pressing hard for years to make internet sales taxable. Right now they have voluntary compliance but pretty soon i think there'll be a mandate. They keep getting hung up on a Supreme Court case from the sixties regarding the ability to tax mail order items.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Can wordpress have ecommerce stores?

Where do we find templates?

from what I have heard, that is similar to trying to plow a field by hooking a plow to a school bus. Yes it can be done, but it is not the best way to do it.

That being said, saw this the other day and it had good feedback- Wordpress Shopping Cart - ShopperPress

Not a personal recommendation, never used it myself

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
yeah, I am guessing a sales tax license will cover me. I am applying for one now. never was an issue before.

That's my guess of what they are looking for. Most folks don't have one, where businesses do.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
for those sitting on the sideline, this primer works. I finally settled on what I believe will be a good niche today. Contacted 6 of the 7 major suppliers in the industry (still looking for info on #7). 4 of the six contacted me back today already. All open to doing business with me. So far anyway.

I copied the exact email bio posted, put in my info and my product info and sent it off.

Thanks bio.

Glad to hear it. You only need a few of the suppliers to go ahead with it. Because in 6 months, when you contact the 3 that turned you down, you will be able to show them a successful store and they will want to be in it.

Yes, you do need a license/permit. You are basically going to be a retail store. You probably need a state and city license.

Just getting the EIN is sometimes enough to get the wholesalers to talk to you. But once in business you will need the licenses.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Kurt,

When you get your license are you getting it in the store's URL name? My advice would be to get a generic sounding name like KURT STORES LLC. Because if you did Baseballbats.com as your license and then you found that Batpoop.com is a great niche, the suppliers will look at your baseballbats.com license funny vs. kurt stores llc. Know what I mean?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Can't believe I have never seen this thread in the past two years!
Good stuff, Kenric!
At the last B&P, I was talking to Bill about his pretty confections site.
He mentioned you guys hire out the SEO.
Care to share??? What steps, etc.

For the most part, we all know that part of SEO is link building. So you can hire some dude to get you a link. So what people are doing is that they are putting together a link package, say like they'll get you 20 links for $5. Then they have become more intricate in that not only will they get a 20 links, but they'll put them into a link wheel for you for $8. etc...

These are called Link Building Packages and guys on Warrior Forum or Wicked Fire sell them like hotcakes.

So you can hire out your SEO by buying these packages.
or you can hire someone to manage the buying of these packages, like an SEO company

but remember that these packages are only a small part of your SEO plan.

If you want a nice broad SEO plan you probably should hire an SEO company to manage it all for you...

But IMO if you learn it yourself, you will crush your competitors. I'll make another post on why.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
For the most part, we all know that part of SEO is link building. So you can hire some dude to get you a link. So what people are doing is that they are putting together a link package, say like they'll get you 20 links for $5. Then they have become more intricate in that not only will they get a 20 links, but they'll put them into a link wheel for you for $8. etc...

These are called Link Building Packages and guys on Warrior Forum or Wicked Fire sell them like hotcakes.

So you can hire out your SEO by buying these packages.
or you can hire someone to manage the buying of these packages, like an SEO company

but remember that these packages are only a small part of your SEO plan.

If you want a nice broad SEO plan you probably should hire an SEO company to manage it all for you...

But IMO if you learn it yourself, you will crush your competitors. I'll make another post on why.

And that post is here:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/we...on-its-like-wearing-sunscreen.html#post161897

Last edited by a moderator:

smith360

Banned
Apr 9, 2011
To add an idea. Don't say eBay or Amazon. Be sure not to mention eBay or Amazon, as these platforms raise immediate red flags. Many suppliers have policies specifically preventing retailers from doing business with such online marketplaces even if their accounts are established and in good standing. :)

Removed by Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Kurt,

When you get your license are you getting it in the store's URL name? My advice would be to get a generic sounding name like KURT STORES LLC. Because if you did Baseballbats.com as your license and then you found that Batpoop.com is a great niche, the suppliers will look at your baseballbats.com license funny vs. kurt stores llc. Know what I mean?

I spent a good part of the night researching this last night and cannot seem to find anything required by pa for a general retail store besides an ein and sales tax number.

If anyone is aware of the contrary, please let me know.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Thanks! I will do! I am thinking of creating a store for members only! I have several suppliers (manufacturers) that should give me a wide range of merchandise for my store. I am thinking of charging a membership fee and selling the products at my cost (plus shipping and other associated fees).

I was recently thinking of doing the same thing in a competitive niche just to throw something different in the mix. Did you end up using this model? Have any success with it?

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
biophase,

I'm curious, and you don't need to answer, but I was wondering if you could throw a rough number out on how much you're making a month from your online sales.

Oh, and how many websites you're running to produce the result.

Thanks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.