The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How has MJ ruined your life?

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
My moment went pretty much like this.

456D1D1C-A086-4015-87FC-801D860C2A35.gif

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I didn't take the post literally, more like, "OMG, I can't sit around in ignorance like everyone else any longer."

Of course, just having your eyes open doesn't mean anything. You can still get hit by a moving train with your eyes open, the open eyes are only valuable if you use them to do something.

An enslaved, yet ignorant person is actually better than the enslaved person who is aware of it, but does nothing but complain.

Michael John

Thank you. I thought it was obvious she was communicating "MJ wrecked my life in a good way." Surprising to see it taken with so much seriousness.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Thank you. I thought it was obvious she was communicating "MJ wrecked my life in a good way." Surprising to see it taken with so much seriousness.
lmao, it's true

gileneusz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jun 9, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
My story is also "funny". I don't know how exackly I found MF, but my journey started with Jeff Olson's Slight Edge. This is clone of Compound Effect by Darren Hardy and is all about process vs event driven life. Shortly after I turn 30's and my girlfriend left ;) So I decided to follow book-path. 30-40 books/year, one of them MF - definatelly one of the best.

I do not regret a single day spent reading, but MF show me that 50% of previously read books were incorrect

JoshA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Apr 14, 2017
USA
Who needs punctuation anyways?

aint-nobody-got-time-for-that-quote-1.jpg

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
How has Mj ruined my life? I think its the wrong question to ask, more like how has Mj changed my life? And the answer to that is providing this forum, which has some damn good advice that's set me straight. My life has changed ALOT ever since my second post I made here, I can't thank him or the forum members enough. I'd still be stuck in the same pattern if it wasn't for him and this forum/forum members.

Last edited:

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
I believe, there's more to it than just a black and white thinking of (white) spending time working on your business and (black) wasting time doing something else.

What about the grey area?

I mean, come on. If it's really hurting your business if you spend an afternoon at your grandparents, are you really putting in all the effort you can?

Not saying that you have to be at your grandparents every sunday. But how much of an effort is it to visit them from time to time? At least for me, my grandparents had a big impact on my childhood and spending some time with them, now that they grew older, is the least I (at least in my opinion) can do for them. And therefore, I don't see such an amount of let's say an afternoon, as time wasted.

Yes. It is true, that I can't write on my book in that time. Sure. But if you can't manage your working time around an afternoon at your grandparents, are you really trying your best to do so?

The grandparents thing is of course just one example of many.
The Super Bowl one is another one. I mean, if you decide you'd rather work than watch it, that's cool. Just know, that there are ways of managing it in a way, that even if you'd decide to watch it, so you have a once a year evening with your family or friends and a great BBQ or something, there are ways to do both. Get the work you want to do done and watching it.

The way I see it like is, if you want to keep some joys in your life, or doing something to joy others you love, as long as it doesn't slow your working progress down, or too much down, it's not that big of a deal.

There are other, and way more successful, people on here than me, who may tell you something completely different, so take this post as from someone who's still working on his Fastlane, instead of already being there, or being near it.

But my experience so far is this.
I spend monday-friday working about 50 hours at two jobs (not mentioning the 2 hours commute per day), come home every evening and then write on my book. Most days until I go to bed.
It's not the amount of time I'd love to be able to write, but it's enough to get around 500-1000 words out most days.

On weekends though, there comes a point, where I just want to spend some quality time with my fiancée.
Does that mean, that I don't write on weekends? Of course it doesn't. I usually write more than on weekdays. I just try to fit in both on the weekend. Quality time with my partner and writing.

Now, there comes a point, where this relaxing or other activities can transform into wasting time or not doing the work, that needs to be done. And I won't tell you it doesn't happen from time to time.

There's a quote by Stephen King I'd like to put here:

“It starts with this: put your desk in the corner, and every time you sit down there to write, remind yourself why it isn't in the middle of the room. Life isn't a support system for art. It's the other way around.”

The way I see it, is this: as long as you get the work done. Time spend on something different, something you enjoy, is not time wasted.
It can be time to relax your mind and your body for a while, and, at least for me, it's also the time I get most of my ideas. In times, when my brain gets a chance to let go of the trees in front of me, and see the forest from above.

There was once a thread on here, asking if time spent on the forum is a way of wasting your time, since you can't work on your business during the time spent on here.

Spending time on here (if done right) aswell as spending some quality time with your loved ones, a lovely evening with your partner let's say, does not hurt your working process in my opinion. It even benefits it.

You may not work in those hours you spend with your partner on the couch (after doing the work in the hours before, that is), but the next day, you probably will come to the page (in my case) or to your business with a clearer vision in mind and a new found energy.
And maybe even some new ideas, that have come into your head, once you stepped away from the trees in front of you.

Last edited:

Tanishatheangel

Bronze Contributor
Sep 22, 2017
life
I believe, there's more to it than just a black and white thinking of (white) spending time working on your business and (black) wasting time doing something else.

What about the grey area?

I mean, come on. If it's really hurting your business if you spend an afternoon at your grandparents, are you really putting in all the effort you can?

Not saying that you have to be at your grandparents every sunday. But how much of an effort is it to visit them from time to time? At least for me, my grandparents had a big impact on my childhood and spending some time with them, now that they grew older, is the least I (at least in my opinion) can do for them. And therefore, I don't see such an amount of let's say an afternoon, as time wasted.

Yes. It is true, that I can't write on my book in that time. Sure. But if you can't manage your working time around an afternoon at your grandparents, are you really trying your best to do so?

The grandparents thing is of course just one example of many.
The Super Bowl one is another one. I mean, if you decide you'd rather work than watch it, that's cool. Just know, that there are ways of managing it in a way, that even if you'd decide to watch it, so you have a once a year evening with your family or friends and a great BBQ or something, there are ways to do both. Get the work you want to do done and watching it.

The way I see it like is, if you want to keep some joys in your life, or doing something to joy others you love, as long as it doesn't slow your working progress down, or too much down, it's not that big of a deal.

There are other, and way more successful, people on here than me, who may tell you something completely different, so take this post as from someone who's still working on his Fastlane, instead of already being there, or being near it.

But my experience so far is this.
I spend monday-friday working about 50 hours at two jobs (not mentioning the 2 hours commute per day), come home every evening and then write on my book. Most days until I go to bed.
It's not the amount of time I'd love to be able to write, but it's enough to get around 500-1000 words out most days.

On weekends though, there comes a point, where I just want to spend some quality time with my fiancée.
Does that mean, that I don't write on weekends? Of course it doesn't. I usually write more than on weekdays. I just try to fit in both on the weekend. Quality time with my partner and writing.

Now, there comes a point, where this relaxing or other activities can transform into wasting time or not doing the work, that needs to be done. And I won't tell you it doesn't happen from time to time.

There's a quote by Stephen King I'd like to put here:

“It starts with this: put your desk in the corner, and every time you sit down there to write, remind yourself why it isn't in the middle of the room. Life isn't a support system for art. It's the other way around.”

The way I see it, is this: as long as you get the work done. Time spend on something different, something you enjoy, is not time wasted.
It can be time to relax your mind and your body for a while, and, at least for me, it's also the time I get most of my ideas. In times, when my brain gets a chance to let go of the trees in front of me, and see the forest from above.

There was once a thread on here, asking if time spent on the forum is a way of wasting your time, since you can't work on your business during the time spent on here.

Spending time on here (if done right) aswell as spending some quality time with your loved ones, a lovely evening with your partner let's say, does not hurt your working process in my opinion. It even benefits it.

You may not work in those hours you spend with your partner on the couch (after doing the work in the hours before, that is), but the next day, you probably will come to the page (in my case) or to your business with a clearer vision in mind and a new found energy.
And maybe even some new ideas, that have come into your head, once you stepped away from the trees in front of you.

this has seriously allowed me to embrace the fun in life again (without feeling guilty) i truely appreciate this more than you'll ever know

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 26, 2015
For most people the truth sets them free. You’re insinuating the truth has trapped you. That’s not MJ’s problem, that’s your problem. If it’s too painful to look at the world for what it is, then go back to pretending everything is rainbow ponies and sugarplums. No one here is going to sympathize with your rant about being distracted by stupidity. Everyone intelligent is inconvenienced by stupidity - even within their families. If you don’t like your family falling into traps, educate them. If they don’t listen, you tried, but not your (and definitely not our) problem.

Charlie Brown has a word for you...
View: https://youtu.be/wbUEJ05BqLU

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
this has seriously allowed me to embrace the fun in life again (without feeling guilty) i truely appreciate this more than you'll ever know
Also if I can add something to excellent piece @Supa wrote, spend time with your grandparents or any other family while you can. I'd give up everything I've worked for just to spend one more afternoon with my uncle, and just sit on his porch and talk to him about cars. Business can't replace the things like that.

Tanishatheangel

Bronze Contributor
Sep 22, 2017
life
Also if I can add something to excellent piece @Supa wrote, spend time with your grandparents or any other family while you can. I'd give up everything I've worked for just to spend one more afternoon with my uncle, and just sit on his porch and talk to him about cars. Business can't replace the things like that.

yeah that makes me sad about my grandpa who died

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
I do not regret a single day spent reading, but MF show me that 50% of previously read books were incorrect

Interestingly I have consumed a book a week for about two decades - all non-fiction, almost exclusively audiobooks (CD, now Audible).

Since hitting MJ's books I've been struggling to find material to engage with - which is a good thing in many ways as many of the books I've read before were great material anyway and consuming books is it's own form of action-faking.

Knowledge is very important - but only if you are applying it!

Collecting it, curating it and admiring it is of no value (except when you build a community full of it like this - thanks MJ).

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
I dunno if I've just read a completely different thing to you guys, but I sort of took this as the person joking about how they now see how stupid the Slowlane behaviour of others is that they used to do.

I don't think the person actually meant MJ has ruined their life, but more that they can no longer participate in time wasting behaviour because they now see that that time can be spent building a Fastlane Life instead.

Tanishatheangel

Bronze Contributor
Sep 22, 2017
life
I dunno if I've just read a completely different thing to you guys, but I sort of took this as the person joking about how they now see how stupid the Slowlane behaviour of others is that they used to do.

I don't think the person actually meant MJ has ruined their life, but more that they can no longer participate in time wasting behaviour because they now see that that time can be spent building a Fastlane Life instead.

you got it exactly correct, that was my original intention

gileneusz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jun 9, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
the books I've read before were great material anyway and consuming books is it's own form of action-faking.

BAM!

That's why MJ's book is all about process activity towards the goal.

You can have the best ship or plane in the world, but if you don't have a goal or plan of where you're going and how you're going to get there, then you just drift around and never get anywhere.
View: https://youtu.be/Zh6lZ5mTSAI?t=1m40s

this is why reading of books are waste of time

However you need to also invest in your ship. So do your job, and read part time.

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
this is why reading of books are waste of time
Not quite, reading without taking action is a waste of time - learning by others experience and mistakes is essential and reading is the most accessible and affordable way to do so.

Of course you can learn by your own experiments and mistakes, but using other's gives you so much better leverage to get where you want to be quicker.

gileneusz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jun 9, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
Of course you can learn by your own experiments and mistakes, but using other's gives you so much better leverage to get where you want to be quicker.

fully agree

Experience is the worst teacher; it gives the test before presenting the lesson

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Jesus, this is like a public hanging. It only takes a 3rd grade reading level to really get to the nuts and bolts of her actual intent. She's enlightened and expressing it in the only way she knows how using someone else's model of praise. Everyone talking about keeping things positive in mind when taking into account the lack of knowledge of those unaware of time lost, while at the same time viciously attacking someone trying to express themselves to a group of supposedly like minded individuals. Like a pack of wolves feasting upon one of their own.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Jesus, this is like a public hanging. It only takes a 3rd grade reading level to really get to the nuts and bolts of her actual intent. She's enlightened and expressing it in the only way she knows how using someone else's model of praise. Everyone talking about keeping things positive in mind when taking into account the lack of knowledge of those unaware of time lost, while at the same time viciously attacking someone trying to express themselves to a group of supposedly like minded individuals. Like a pack of wolves feasting upon one of their own.

Lol.. I totally agree. It's funny reading some of the replies in here...

Tanishatheangel

Bronze Contributor
Sep 22, 2017
life

yeah i was starting to think i was totally in the wrong, i wasnt saying nothing bad about mj

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.