The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How has MJ ruined your life?

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Imagine sitting next to her in the office... My head would explode. Literally.

px58f3d319.gif

When this forum became a kind of Reddit? I had to go down to post #10 to just find a coherent comment.

Actually, reddit (r/entrepreneur) was the one that introduced me to Unscripted . It was in some reply to a comment by someone else, who recommended that OP to read this book. I googled for the book, and bam.......I found MJ.

Btw, since there's so many of these ridiculous topics on MJ ("Does MJ have a wife", "How has MJ ruined your life" etc...), there's one thing I've always been curious about.

What does "MJ" initials stand for?

Mickey Jones DeMarco?
Michael Jackson DeMarco?
Martin James DeMarco?
Matthew Jesus DeMarco?
Micah Jeffrey DeMarco?
Mark Jason DeMarco?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tanishatheangel

Bronze Contributor
Sep 22, 2017
life
Before everyone gets their pitch forks out (too late); look at intent rather than delivery.

I studied Communication, so maybe I process messages differently. All the OP has done is express her perception of time management before/after encountering MJ's work.

Attacking her for this is rather funny, considering a significant portion of posts on this forum express this exact message.

Her post is not "negative."
Do you realize how dull human communication would be without figures of speech?

It's like saying every thread on TFLF indicting "slowlane mentality," "action faking" etc is negative.
Sure, they might point out negative effects, but the ultimate goal isn't to be "negative."

She has expressed her appreciation of MJ in a slightly different way from most, with no perceivable malice.
Don't gang up on her because she hasn't done it your way.

thank you, this was one of the most encouraging posts i've received yet

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The title of this thread should be changed. A lot of these threads get indexed pretty quickly and who knows what may trigger someone's search result to show "How has MJ ruined your life?"

Maybe they clickbait to it and see its true intention, but others might take a negative view and move on without clicking. I doubt MJ wants that kind of reaction to his business.

Done

D

Deleted50669

i doubt that most people can really see things as they are, let alone doing something about it

that's why it is so easy to manipulate them at the society level

this is frightening how naive people are.

think on this thing as a metaphor :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI8AMRbqY6w

the only people i know who can see the whole picture in any area are rational types , INTJs in most cases.

in business : Jay Abraham,pope of marketing

eben pagan with his get altitude program and so on

View attachment 17377

stuart goldsmith and his innercircle program

View attachment 17378

in philosophy : Nietzsche

and leaders of secret societies behind the scenes who are almost all INTJs

quote : " Most members of the Illuminati are INTJ and INTP. INTJ (the Mastermind) "

by Adam Weishaupt

View attachment 17379

most people are not wired to look at things like them

Well I’m an INTP and I’m pretty sure I can see through the social engineering across the board. Don’t put too many eggs in the Myers-Briggs basket, it’s a woefully lacking personality construct. People often pigeon-hole themselves to perceived ability boundaries based on their MBT, this is foolish. There may be a likelihood factor (correlation between awareness of truth and INTP), but I doubt it’s a single make or break criterion.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I didn't take the post literally, more like, "OMG, I can't sit around in ignorance like everyone else any longer."

Of course, just having your eyes open doesn't mean anything. You can still get hit by a moving train with your eyes open, the open eyes are only valuable if you use them to do something.

An enslaved, yet ignorant person is actually better than the enslaved person who is aware of it, but does nothing but complain.

Michael John

Thank you. I thought it was obvious she was communicating "MJ wrecked my life in a good way." Surprising to see it taken with so much seriousness.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
I believe, there's more to it than just a black and white thinking of (white) spending time working on your business and (black) wasting time doing something else.

What about the grey area?

I mean, come on. If it's really hurting your business if you spend an afternoon at your grandparents, are you really putting in all the effort you can?

Not saying that you have to be at your grandparents every sunday. But how much of an effort is it to visit them from time to time? At least for me, my grandparents had a big impact on my childhood and spending some time with them, now that they grew older, is the least I (at least in my opinion) can do for them. And therefore, I don't see such an amount of let's say an afternoon, as time wasted.

Yes. It is true, that I can't write on my book in that time. Sure. But if you can't manage your working time around an afternoon at your grandparents, are you really trying your best to do so?

The grandparents thing is of course just one example of many.
The Super Bowl one is another one. I mean, if you decide you'd rather work than watch it, that's cool. Just know, that there are ways of managing it in a way, that even if you'd decide to watch it, so you have a once a year evening with your family or friends and a great BBQ or something, there are ways to do both. Get the work you want to do done and watching it.

The way I see it like is, if you want to keep some joys in your life, or doing something to joy others you love, as long as it doesn't slow your working progress down, or too much down, it's not that big of a deal.

There are other, and way more successful, people on here than me, who may tell you something completely different, so take this post as from someone who's still working on his Fastlane, instead of already being there, or being near it.

But my experience so far is this.
I spend monday-friday working about 50 hours at two jobs (not mentioning the 2 hours commute per day), come home every evening and then write on my book. Most days until I go to bed.
It's not the amount of time I'd love to be able to write, but it's enough to get around 500-1000 words out most days.

On weekends though, there comes a point, where I just want to spend some quality time with my fiancée.
Does that mean, that I don't write on weekends? Of course it doesn't. I usually write more than on weekdays. I just try to fit in both on the weekend. Quality time with my partner and writing.

Now, there comes a point, where this relaxing or other activities can transform into wasting time or not doing the work, that needs to be done. And I won't tell you it doesn't happen from time to time.

There's a quote by Stephen King I'd like to put here:

“It starts with this: put your desk in the corner, and every time you sit down there to write, remind yourself why it isn't in the middle of the room. Life isn't a support system for art. It's the other way around.”

The way I see it, is this: as long as you get the work done. Time spend on something different, something you enjoy, is not time wasted.
It can be time to relax your mind and your body for a while, and, at least for me, it's also the time I get most of my ideas. In times, when my brain gets a chance to let go of the trees in front of me, and see the forest from above.

There was once a thread on here, asking if time spent on the forum is a way of wasting your time, since you can't work on your business during the time spent on here.

Spending time on here (if done right) aswell as spending some quality time with your loved ones, a lovely evening with your partner let's say, does not hurt your working process in my opinion. It even benefits it.

You may not work in those hours you spend with your partner on the couch (after doing the work in the hours before, that is), but the next day, you probably will come to the page (in my case) or to your business with a clearer vision in mind and a new found energy.
And maybe even some new ideas, that have come into your head, once you stepped away from the trees in front of you.

Last edited:

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
this is why reading of books are waste of time
Not quite, reading without taking action is a waste of time - learning by others experience and mistakes is essential and reading is the most accessible and affordable way to do so.

Of course you can learn by your own experiments and mistakes, but using other's gives you so much better leverage to get where you want to be quicker.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Jesus, this is like a public hanging. It only takes a 3rd grade reading level to really get to the nuts and bolts of her actual intent. She's enlightened and expressing it in the only way she knows how using someone else's model of praise. Everyone talking about keeping things positive in mind when taking into account the lack of knowledge of those unaware of time lost, while at the same time viciously attacking someone trying to express themselves to a group of supposedly like minded individuals. Like a pack of wolves feasting upon one of their own.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
The title of this thread should be changed. A lot of these threads get indexed pretty quickly and who knows what may trigger someone's search result to show "How has MJ ruined your life?"

Maybe they clickbait to it and see its true intention, but others might take a negative view and move on without clicking. I doubt MJ wants that kind of reaction to his business.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
You after having finished the book
giphy.gif

Actually I believe a lot of us were already doing the above 1/4 through the book!
I got a pay raise a few days ago but I felt humiliated and disgusted instead.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
well mj has pretty much ruined every area of my life, when my family is watching the superbowl i'm like that's 3 hours of your life that's wasted on people you will never know, when its the holiday season i'm watching all my friends and family max out their credit cards just so they can work the next year just to do it again, even when im at church (sorry God) we're just sitting their doing nothing, i know its spiritual and all but thats 2 hours we just sit and " i guess waste time???" i dont mean it offensively, when i'm at my grandmothers she and grandpa have worked saved and will never buy nothing nice not a single modern convience do they have, when peoples out black friday selling instead of seeing sales i see money taken out of my pocket to fund someone else's dreams, mj i'm sure there's other examples i could list, but you've totally wrecked my life and now i'm seeing all the wasted time that others are doing and saying " oh im just barely making it, WELL DUH IF YOU SIT THERE WATCHING THE SUPER BOWL you cant complain because that's your choice, why not be the one selling the tickets, sorry its just i think next month it comes up again and i'm seeing it from a new perspective i didnt have before
He made me a better entrepreneur. It was terrible.

Also, I didn't win his Fantasy Football league. WTF :rage:

gileneusz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jun 9, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
My story is also "funny". I don't know how exackly I found MF, but my journey started with Jeff Olson's Slight Edge. This is clone of Compound Effect by Darren Hardy and is all about process vs event driven life. Shortly after I turn 30's and my girlfriend left ;) So I decided to follow book-path. 30-40 books/year, one of them MF - definatelly one of the best.

I do not regret a single day spent reading, but MF show me that 50% of previously read books were incorrect

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
He deprived me of any shot at being a career victim. DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!!!???
  • Not starting life with a negative 80k net worth
  • Taking tangible steps to my own goals
  • Figuring out things myself
  • Being accountable to myself
  • AdDinG Value BEforE DemAnDing SomeThINg iN RETURN!!
EDIT: THAT MONSTER!

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I find it hard to believe that all of the people making negative comments or trying to "guide" Tanish to make changes in her life don't recognize the sarcasm/irony in the original post. This was not literal.

Not sure about that which is why she might have received that response.

Tanisha has been banned 4 times. With users knowing her history of posts (and bannings) there was a chance she was serious. Either way, I think people were voicing frustration with her starting threads about nothing, using the forum as a kinda of chat-box.

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
MJ has personally ruined my life. He deliberately went out of his way to tarnish my good name to the public and attempted to embezzle me out of $400,000. He also threatened to burn my house down. He once also drove around my house with a bullhorn making false accusations about me and he once ordered 50 pizzas to my house without my consent.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Why?
You don't like extra money for good capital? Even if it is just a couple of a bucks increase, you may never know where it comes handy...

Yup sure, the measly sum can provide me with additional capital for my day to day needs, but in terms of the long run, it's actually laughable when you think about it.

It's like what the book says, trade 5 days for 2, forced out of bed early in the morning, wasting 4 hours to and fro work in the commute daily, doing zombie work.....for a tiny raise. Heck, I didn't even get any bonuses last year lol

KrzyszWawrzyniak

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2017
Great Britain
LOL. A good moderator would have known that MJ already knew she created a new account and posted in another thread that he was giving her some leeway.

Also, there really isn't anything wrong with this thread. Click-bait? Yes. However, it could have been a fun exercise in pointing out how differently you think now and how its affected your daily life.

Yes, you're right. There's nothing wrong with this thread; it's very educational.
Especially posts like this:

Imagine sitting next to her in the office... My head would explode. Literally.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
well mj has pretty much ruined every area of my life, when my family is watching the superbowl i'm like that's 3 hours of your life that's wasted on people you will never know, when its the holiday season i'm watching all my friends and family max out their credit cards just so they can work the next year just to do it again, even when im at church (sorry God) we're just sitting their doing nothing, i know its spiritual and all but thats 2 hours we just sit and " i guess waste time???" i dont mean it offensively, when i'm at my grandmothers she and grandpa have worked saved and will never buy nothing nice not a single modern convience do they have, when peoples out black friday selling instead of seeing sales i see money taken out of my pocket to fund someone else's dreams, mj i'm sure there's other examples i could list, but you've totally wrecked my life and now i'm seeing all the wasted time that others are doing and saying " oh im just barely making it, WELL DUH IF YOU SIT THERE WATCHING THE SUPER BOWL you cant complain because that's your choice, why not be the one selling the tickets, sorry its just i think next month it comes up again and i'm seeing it from a new perspective i didnt have before
Truthfully this sounds like you are complaining and in victim hood. I don't think he's ruined my life a bit. I entered the forum after reading his first book, which propelled me to joining. Gave me options, and gave me opportunities. As I elaborated before, I have grown, evolved, and it challenges me to reach my full potential. 100% best shot. While everyone around me may be still growing, evolving, and set an example, and as I stated before, I just shared resources with my son a long the way, and it rubbed off on him.

As someone one once stated to me back in 2010, people need me to raise the bar, be in joy, and set the example, because it gives them the idea, perhaps I should bed doing something differently.

And example of this would be some family members I observed all my life who were Entrepreneurs, and I watched them, observed their actions, and although we didn't have many conversations, they were teaching me to go the extra mile. While I've by passed their mindset, and probably will go further, I never complained watching them, while I watched movies, played video games, I still was listening, and observing. People get their when their meant too and ready.

I think naturally, once you're in the hustle and bustle of entrepreneurship, we feel like we're wasting time doing other things. I feel this all the time, but that's more about yourself not allowing yourself to breaks, and I'd work 24 hours a day every day If I'd allow myself. I also already did that in here, and ended up smacking my head, because I wasn't eating enough and the fitness aspect. So, while you're worried about what everyone else is doing, this is wasted time to me. It's not your responsibility, and not your business.

I'm not sure why you took the negative approach, or angle, but it sends the Victim message. I'm a victim because it ruined my life, and the herd isn't following along. I'm uncomfortable.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
If it’s too painful to look at the world for what it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i doubt that most people can really see things as they are, let alone doing something about it

that's why it is so easy to manipulate them at the society level

this is frightening how naive people are.

think on this thing as a metaphor :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI8AMRbqY6w

the only people i know who can see the whole picture in any area are rational types , INTJs in most cases.

in business : Jay Abraham,pope of marketing

eben pagan with his get altitude program and so on

get altitude.png

stuart goldsmith and his innercircle program

innercircle.jpg

in philosophy : Nietzsche

and leaders of secret societies behind the scenes who are almost all INTJs

quote : " Most members of the Illuminati are INTJ and INTP. INTJ (the Mastermind) "

by Adam Weishaupt

adam.jpg

most people are not wired to look at things like them

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
LOL. A good moderator would have known that MJ already knew she created a new account and posted in another thread that he was giving her some leeway.

Also, there really isn't anything wrong with this thread. Click-bait? Yes. However, it could have been a fun exercise in pointing out how differently you think now and how its affected your daily life.
Yea I disagree with renaming the thread. This isn't Nazi Germany lol

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Tanishatheangel

Bronze Contributor
Sep 22, 2017
life
I believe, there's more to it than just a black and white thinking of (white) spending time working on your business and (black) wasting time doing something else.

What about the grey area?

I mean, come on. If it's really hurting your business if you spend an afternoon at your grandparents, are you really putting in all the effort you can?

Not saying that you have to be at your grandparents every sunday. But how much of an effort is it to visit them from time to time? At least for me, my grandparents had a big impact on my childhood and spending some time with them, now that they grew older, is the least I (at least in my opinion) can do for them. And therefore, I don't see such an amount of let's say an afternoon, as time wasted.

Yes. It is true, that I can't write on my book in that time. Sure. But if you can't manage your working time around an afternoon at your grandparents, are you really trying your best to do so?

The grandparents thing is of course just one example of many.
The Super Bowl one is another one. I mean, if you decide you'd rather work than watch it, that's cool. Just know, that there are ways of managing it in a way, that even if you'd decide to watch it, so you have a once a year evening with your family or friends and a great BBQ or something, there are ways to do both. Get the work you want to do done and watching it.

The way I see it like is, if you want to keep some joys in your life, or doing something to joy others you love, as long as it doesn't slow your working progress down, or too much down, it's not that big of a deal.

There are other, and way more successful, people on here than me, who may tell you something completely different, so take this post as from someone who's still working on his Fastlane, instead of already being there, or being near it.

But my experience so far is this.
I spend monday-friday working about 50 hours at two jobs (not mentioning the 2 hours commute per day), come home every evening and then write on my book. Most days until I go to bed.
It's not the amount of time I'd love to be able to write, but it's enough to get around 500-1000 words out most days.

On weekends though, there comes a point, where I just want to spend some quality time with my fiancée.
Does that mean, that I don't write on weekends? Of course it doesn't. I usually write more than on weekdays. I just try to fit in both on the weekend. Quality time with my partner and writing.

Now, there comes a point, where this relaxing or other activities can transform into wasting time or not doing the work, that needs to be done. And I won't tell you it doesn't happen from time to time.

There's a quote by Stephen King I'd like to put here:

“It starts with this: put your desk in the corner, and every time you sit down there to write, remind yourself why it isn't in the middle of the room. Life isn't a support system for art. It's the other way around.”

The way I see it, is this: as long as you get the work done. Time spend on something different, something you enjoy, is not time wasted.
It can be time to relax your mind and your body for a while, and, at least for me, it's also the time I get most of my ideas. In times, when my brain gets a chance to let go of the trees in front of me, and see the forest from above.

There was once a thread on here, asking if time spent on the forum is a way of wasting your time, since you can't work on your business during the time spent on here.

Spending time on here (if done right) aswell as spending some quality time with your loved ones, a lovely evening with your partner let's say, does not hurt your working process in my opinion. It even benefits it.

You may not work in those hours you spend with your partner on the couch (after doing the work in the hours before, that is), but the next day, you probably will come to the page (in my case) or to your business with a clearer vision in mind and a new found energy.
And maybe even some new ideas, that have come into your head, once you stepped away from the trees in front of you.

this has seriously allowed me to embrace the fun in life again (without feeling guilty) i truely appreciate this more than you'll ever know

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
I dunno if I've just read a completely different thing to you guys, but I sort of took this as the person joking about how they now see how stupid the Slowlane behaviour of others is that they used to do.

I don't think the person actually meant MJ has ruined their life, but more that they can no longer participate in time wasting behaviour because they now see that that time can be spent building a Fastlane Life instead.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.