The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How does this make sense?

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
"As a bit of background, the industrial titans of the 1890's began to think that not only could the production line be engineered, but people's lives could be engineered as well, in order to work like homogeneous robots with the machines. Rockefeller and Carnegie gave huge sums to prominent academics to see if this could be realized through the educational system. They found that to a considerable extent it could, and it is still being done today as evidenced in the Congressional Record during the Clinton administration. This is the story that John Gatto has to tell.-DB)"

"The secret of American schooling is that it doesn't teach the way children learn -- nor is it supposed to. Schools were conceived to serve the economy and the social order rather than kids and families -- that is why it is compulsory. As a consequence, the school can not help anybody grow up, because its prime directive is to retard maturity. It does that by teaching that everything is difficult, that other people run our lives, that our neighbors are untrustworthy even dangerous. School is the first impression children get of society. Because first impressions are often the decisive ones, school imprints kids with fear, suspicion of one another, and certain addictions for life. It ambushes natural intuition, faith, and love of adventure, wiping these out in favor of a gospel of rational procedure and rational management."

Very nicely articulated point. But....if this is true, what's the solution? I personally believe there are benefits to school and that's coming from someone that didn't care for school very much at all. Some of us learn that the mind by itself can be a tool used to solve problems. Some learn that the mind in combination with your hands can build or fix things, like Patrick's son. Some just learn the discipline of starting a task and finishing it and the gratification that comes from it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The easier you make money to get the more expensive college will become. Thats why its so expensive right now because idiots think it is worth it to spend 100k on a major in basket weaving.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Very nicely articulated point. But....if this is true, what's the solution? I personally believe there are benefits to school and that's coming from someone that didn't care for school very much at all. Some of us learn that the mind by itself can be a tool used to solve problems. Some learn that the mind in combination with your hands can build or fix things, like Patrick's son. Some just learn the discipline of starting a task and finishing it and the gratification that comes from it.

Very interesting. I hated school as kid. I did manage to graduate college with a bachelor's degree but I wish I had done more hands on learning in high school as I had no idea what to pursue when I got to college. Which I think is a lot of people's problem when they get that far.

With that thought in mind posted by Likwid...What does everyone think of Home Schooling compared to sending kids to school? Everyone needs to learn to read and write and do basic math skills in order to survive(for the most part).

And why isn't everyone who is protesting the 1% protesting their colleges and Universities instead for charging way too much money?

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Very interesting. I hated school as kid. I did manage to graduate college with a bachelor's degree but I wish I had done more hands on learning in high school as I had no idea what to pursue when I got to college. Which I think is a lot of people's problem when they get that far.

With that thought in mind posted by Likwid...What does everyone think of Home Schooling compared to sending kids to school? Everyone needs to learn to read and write and do basic math skills in order to survive(for the most part).

And why isn't everyone who is protesting the 1% protesting their colleges and Universities instead for charging way too much money?

Man this is not a perfect system and I doubt it ever will be. But until we come up with a functional alternative this is what we have to work with. Whether your the 1% or the 99 we all benefit from a workforce that find a sense of purpose in what they do. If access to good affordable education becomes unreachable and certain fields of study become almost extinct because the debt to salary ratio is too great, we will be in big trouble. I personally want my daughter to have the best instructors available every time she walks into a classroom (that's what I pay for) and when I feel they are falling short my feelings are expressed to them. But I am lowering my standards as time progresses because the numbers of great teachers/professors are falling.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
What does everyone think of Home Schooling compared to sending kids to school?

We home school and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Sue

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
If I have kids, they will most definitely be homeschooled with a major bent towards unschooling.

I think I learned how to read from my parents. I learned more from them than I did in school even though they always wanted me to go to school and get a job. Which is what they did.

Home schooling seems like a great way to go and I didn't realize that home schooled kids do have play groups and things to learn social skills and interact with others. That is the one thing I would have worried about. until I asked people what they do with their home schooled kids.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Home schooling seems like a great way to go and I didn't realize that home schooled kids do have play groups and things to learn social skills and interact with others. That is the one thing I would have worried about. until I asked people what they do with their home schooled kids.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

One of the greatest advantages to homeschooling is how personalized the studying and education can be.

Also, the whole deal with "socialization" is really funny to me. People seem to forget there are quite a few kids who go through school who never really develop much or any social skills or how to interact with others. The shy, akward loner kid exists in just about every school, but nobody worries about how they're being "properly" socialized.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
One of the greatest advantages to homeschooling is how personalized the studying and education can be.

Also, the whole deal with "socialization" is really funny to me. People seem to forget there are quite a few kids who go through school who never really develop much or any social skills or how to interact with others. The shy, akward loner kid exists in just about every school, but nobody worries about how they're being "properly" socialized.

I asked about it because that pretty much describes me. I was quiet and sort of a loner going through school.
I have a lot of friends but I was always quiet and laid back in social situations.
EVERYONE worries about it...especially when it is their kid. They just don't know what to do about it

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.