The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you overcome fear of failure and uncertainity?

Anything related to matters of the mind

TylerBiz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 16, 2014
Poland
Paralyzing fear of failure and uncertainity

Because of that feeling I didn’t do anything for a month. Lately I thought about it “why?”. After analyzed my situation I decide to write on the forum.

If you read my other topic you know that I gave up with my artistic venture as a musician and decide to do my best as an entrepreneur. Long story short I gave up with music because of poor feedback. I was doing it few years with huge faith of success and with full commitment but it didn’t work in way that I want. I’ve tried again and again but it didn’t worked so many times that I decided to let go for now.

Two months ago I decided to work on my new project (Japanese language study material). A study guide with all study material and some insights how to prepare and pass the NNS exam. I’ve started and after accomplish few steps I’m starting to wonder “what if this new project will fail, just like my previous music projects?”. I search in the web for a little and realize that the topic of my new project it isn't so popular in my country and that strengthen my doubts and feeling of probably failure. That feeling was so strong that I gave up and don’t continue making more materials. Fear of putting a lot of effort and time to achieve nothing because of small need of market killed my motivation.

I’m afraid that the same will be with my future projects. I think that my subconscience are looking for confirmation that my project has a potential and it is market oriented bullseye! As far as I know (read) “be an entrepreneur is a path of uncertainity”. That is very cruel for my motivation and future projects because I’m still afraid that I'll put a lot of effort in project and it won't work very well.

Maybe if I stick 100% to commandments of fastlane it will be more certain to achieve success but I think waiting for that 100% bullseye Idea could take months or even years. In that time I do nothing and its not the way either because time is leaving.

How do you deal with uncertainity and fear of failure, fear of loosing time and money for something that can be shoot in your foot before you even start the race?

At the end I would like to wish You All a great Easter. I hope you enjoy these days with your family and friends :-D

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Paralyzing fear of failure and uncertainity

Because of that feeling I didn’t do anything for a month.
How do you deal with uncertainity and fear of failure, fear of loosing time and money for something that can be shoot in your foot before you even start the race?

What are the top 5 worst case scenarios that will happen if you fail? How likely are they to actually pan out?
What are the top 5 best case scenarios when you succeed?

What would happen if you don't do anything month in and month out?

Have you ever failed at something in your life and realized the worse case scenario never happens?

It's actually not the fear of failure that stops us in our tracks, despite thinking it is. It's not knowing what will happen after you take a new action. Our brains like predictability with the results of our actions. As a survival mechanism, we sometimes automatically play images of the worst case scenarios in our mind at the subconscious level. This is all rooted back to tens of thousands of years ago where we could easily get killed if we did the wrong action (like build your house in another tribe's area or flirt with the time leader's wife, etc). This is actually a good thing for you that you have that fear believe it or not - for those times in your life where it is actually a life or death scenario.

But those times where those old problems are behind you now. You're not gonna get killed by some other tribe if you market your product and people don't buy it. At the very worst, you'll probably move on to the next advertising source and see if that works for you. When you understand, now, that you should keep reminding yourself of the five best case scenarios, you can now take action and see how every 'failure' you make is simply a lesson that you should simply try something new now so you can get new, positive results.

You can continue to do what you've been doing - but then you'll only get the same results you've gotten up until this point. But you don't want that, do you?

New actions = new results
Same actions = same results.

One day you're going to die. On that day, will you will look back to today and decide that this time right now when you take that action and begin your path to success...is the time where your business life flips around for the better.

Keep those 5 best case scenarios playing in your mind. Trust me - it'll help a lot.

Going forward, what ONE action can you take to get your product out in the market and see what new results it brings?

G

Guest3722A

This was my last business: http://thehivecolony.com/wp/ I started it back in '01 and as you can see it's still going today.

Prior to starting it, all I did was talk about it to all of my friends for years. Everyone said it was a good idea and deep down I knew it was too, and they got sick of me talking about it after awhile. I remember all the driving around I did looking for buildings, and repeatedly calculating numbers with building materials and presumed expenses and I would constantly write and rewrite what I would charge the bands for their practice rooms and square footage and how I would market it etc.

I was in this circle of non-stop planning because I wasn't confident enough to pull the trigger and sign on the dotted line and hand over thousands of dollars for a building and building materials. I didn't know how to pull permits, I didn't know how to do construction, I never dealt with city inspectors, and I even remember one inspector telling me no, I couldn't do the idea in his city. I also remember wanting to partner up with people because I didn't want to take on the risk alone and I just kept on dreaming and wasting time.

Then, one of the worst days of my life happened and I got a phone call that my best friend hung himself and two months before that another friend of mine was murdered. This short period of time completely altered my mind to the reality that life isn't promised to us and that it was too short to not take chances.

After I got through the grieving I didn't care anymore about my fear and I went and met with a landlord of a space I was eyeing and handed him thousands and signed.

My first month was a nightmare because of all of the various issues that I had to figure out because I didn't have a clue but I made it, and after only a few months I had the place full and a waiting list for months out and then I found another building that was three times the size and did it again and the problems with this next building were INSANE. But as you can see, over a decade later it's still going today and I'm proud to say that what I built literally helped thousands of musicians which never would've happened if I didn't take that well calculated risk.

So yeah, you will almost always face fears and doubts and what-ifs when starting. It's par for the course so thicken up!

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Well there you go, what Andy said, PLUS the truth, you aren't going to succeed in a few months.

Question is, can you handle that discomfort for years, can you handle it beyond all fear and pain?

If you can, you'll be tempted to be a cheap dickbag, and you have to ignore that and do everything you can to be a good man every day.

Denial, Anger, Bargaining, etc etc... You can't let loss overwhelm you, you have to create a safe and productive zone where you just work through the struggle...

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
My understanding from reading is that you pursue hobbies and your passion as businesses so yeah, if there is no need for your product in the market, and people will not be willing to pay for your services, it will, indeed not work imo ( sorry if i sound harsh )
On the other hand, if you get validation from the market ( not your mom ) you SHOULD keep going and do what i call " the blinder " technique..... I only see the end result as an objective . Hope it helps

Last edited:

Hooked

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 11, 2013

By getting my a$$ to work ;)

"If you want to conquer fear don't sit at home and think about it, go out and get busy." ~Dale Carnegie

TylerBiz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 16, 2014
Poland
Thanks for all of You:D a lot of good advices and insights. I appreciate that You spent few minutes to share it with me. Andy Black thanks for video, enlightening:). Topherea nice offline biz! It costs a lot of effort and money, congatulations! inspiring thing:)
Andrew Nc, good questions that I must answer. I'll think about 5 best/worst scenarios. That'll be very helpful when new doubts will start attacking me.

if there is no need for your product in the market, and people will not be willing to pay for your services, it will, indeed not work imo ( sorry if i sound harsh )

Yup, You're 100% right. I know it, but I think first I'll try something that I know and maybe it pan out with market. If not, I'll try something else:). Thanks Bila :)

the truth, you aren't going to succeed in a few months.
Yup, that's hard part but I'm trying to accept that, it is no other way.

You can't let loss overwhelm you, you have to create a safe and productive zone where you just work through the struggle...
And that's the hardest part of all entrepreneur thing, working through the struggle.

Still got AndrewNC words in my head "our brains like predictability with the results of our actions." In that case I think that blocks my actions everytime. Now I know it so I can fight with it.

I'll do my best, thank You all!
I'll read Your insights everytime when I have moments of doubt.

Last edited:

TylerBiz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 16, 2014
Poland
Thanks Peakdesire, great vid. A little different point of view but very similiar to video posted by Andy Black :). I like that 4 boxes thinking, that makes sense:)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.