The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you build moats around your e-commerce business?

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
I'm just starting out in e-commerce & I'm seeing lots of sellers flooding the online marketplace, especially in Amazon.

Say for example your selling sleep masks for $15.99 & other sleep wear online, (Amazon, Social Media Ads). What type of moats would you build around your company to keep competitors at bay. How do you keep from getting into a price war with your competitor? Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 10.47.15 PM.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
How do you keep from getting into a price war with your competitor?

Quick answer:

1) find a way to differentiate;
2) build a brand.

Regarding sleep masks, it could be: higher density and softer foam, the antimicrobial fabric it's made from, "anti-slip" design, etc, I’m just making the stuff up.. go over the reviews.

If you want to take it to the next level, find a way to innovate - a new design for a sleep mask, for example. This could potentially be a “moat” for your business.

The more challenging the problem is - the longer your “moat” will last (before some Chinese factory sells your product for twice as less)...

...so build a brand, spice it up with a unique USP that's based on the biggest thing people care/worry about when buying the product (“Deep sleep guarantee” - guaranteed comfort thanks to our custom shape design OR "Anti-slip design" - stays on as good as swimming googles idk lol), consistently improve your product based on reviews, create more products that would be of interest to your target audience.

If improvements you add to the product are your moat, a good brand is like a fu**ing fence.

Maybe you should ask @biophase or @MoneyDoc about it.

Footnote:

I wouldn’t touch this product, as I don’t see enough room for improvement to make a truly unique product or a “know-how” about how you could build a brand of this.

Last edited:

BLIM

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
May 24, 2018
Singapore
How do you keep from getting into a price war with your competitor?
My though is you can see the review from other customer regarding the product and from the positive/negative review you can try to make it better and get sample before you order in a bulk

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
Quick answer:

1) find a way to differentiate;
2) build a brand.

Regarding sleep masks, it could be: higher density and softer foam, the antimicrobial fabric it's made from, "anti-slip" design, etc, I’m just making the stuff up.. go over the reviews.

If you want to take it to the next level, find a way to innovate - a new design for a sleep mask, for example. This could potentially be a “moat” for your business.

The more challenging the problem is - the longer your “moat” will last (before some Chinese factory sells your product for twice as less)...

...so build a brand, spice it up with a unique USP that's based on the biggest thing people care/worry about when buying the product (“Deep sleep guarantee” - guaranteed comfort thanks to our custom shape design OR "Anti-slip design" - stays on as good as swimming googles idk lol), consistently improve your product based on reviews, create more products that would be of interest to your target audience.

If improvements you add to the product are your moat, a good brand is like a fu**ing fence.

Maybe you should ask @biophase or @MoneyDoc about it.

Footnote:

I wouldn’t touch this product, as I don’t see enough room for improvement to make a truly unique product or a “know-how” about how you could build a brand of this.
Good points, I think in the short term, its product innovation and in the long term a well-known brand.

Interesting though that some companies don't necessarily innovate product-wise, but innovate in terms of their product offering.. ie. dollar shave club, toms.

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
My though is you can see the review from other customer regarding the product and from the positive/negative review you can try to make it better and get sample before you order in a bulk
yep, thats exactly my strategy now with my products. works pretty well unless the improved version is patented by a manufacturer. Which is okay, until manufacturer turns on you & sign exclusive contract with other sellers. Had that happen to me just recently

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
1) Branding.
2) IP.
3) Endorsements from "government" bodies and associations.
4) Celebrity endorsement / brand ambassadors.
5) Service
6) User experience / buyer journey
7) Distributions (where you sell)
8) Add-ons / gifts
9) Community / following / tribe
10) Lobby your politicians to create license requirements.
11) Press - make your brand the "real mccoy" and paint all the competition as cheap knock-offs.

Last edited:

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
1) Branding.
2) IP.
3) Endorsements from "government" bodies and associations.
4) Celebrity endorsement / brand ambassadors.
5) Service
6) User experience / buyer journey
7) Distributions (where you sell)
8) Add-ons / gifts
9) Community / following / tribe
10) Lobby your politicians to create license requirements.
11) Press - make your brand the "real mccoy" and paint all the competition as cheap knock-offs.

Nice little checklist that would be good to maintain and keep in mind what needs strengthening now and over time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.