The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I Progress Over Summer?

DistressedDenim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
US
I am in high school and Summer break started yesterday. Here is my current situation and background: (Introduction).

Given my current situation and what I've done so far, what do you recommend I do this Summer to improve as much as possible in entrepreneurship? Also, do you think I should try and convince my parents to let me do online school next year to give me time for my entrepreneurial things?

Thanks,
Will

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dmichaelmccann

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Dec 20, 2015
New Jersey
If I were you I would go into the hustles subform and pick out something there that you can pursue over the summer. There are a lot of great threads but I would definitely recommend reading Sinister Lex's copywriting threads and Fox's web design thread to start. You could also try flipping items on eBay or craigslist but since you mentioned you don't have a driver's license that might be difficult right now.

At age 15 I'd imagine you don't have a lot of entrepreneurial experience, and starting with something like copywriting or web design will teach you some very valuable skills that you will need to be an entrepreneur. Not to mention there are almost no startup costs involved and if you work hard you could probably pick up whatever skill you choose and start making decent money before the summer ends. Just for reference I am 18 and started learning web design about 6 months ago, and I made my first paid sale around 4 months in, but this was while high school was going on so you could probably move faster.

Right now I wouldn't worry about online school or anything like that. Just focus on learning a skill and growing your business, and then revisit it later if you are actually making good money and school is getting in the way.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Get a shitty job.

The experience you have working that shitty job will motivate you throughout the rest of your life to be something more.

Then when you get home from that shitty job, start investing the money you earned into anything that you want to pursue - Amazon FBA, publishing, etc.

DistressedDenim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
US
If I were you I would go into the hustles subform and pick out something there that you can pursue over the summer. There are a lot of great threads but I would definitely recommend reading Sinister Lex's copywriting threads and Fox's web design thread to start. You could also try flipping items on eBay or craigslist but since you mentioned you don't have a driver's license that might be difficult right now.

At age 15 I'd imagine you don't have a lot of entrepreneurial experience, and starting with something like copywriting or web design will teach you some very valuable skills that you will need to be an entrepreneur. Not to mention there are almost no startup costs involved and if you work hard you could probably pick up whatever skill you choose and start making decent money before the summer ends. Just for reference I am 18 and started learning web design about 6 months ago, and I made my first paid sale around 4 months in, but this was while high school was going on so you could probably move faster.

Right now I wouldn't worry about online school or anything like that. Just focus on learning a skill and growing your business, and then revisit it later if you are actually making good money and school is getting in the way.
Thanks for the advice, I am pretty interested in learning copywriting so do you think that it would be better to do that than web design? Also, would you recommend getting a job or hustling?

Get a job or start a business.
What type of business would you recommend for a 15 year old? What should I learn/prepare for before I jump in and start the business?

Get a shitty job.

The experience you have working that shitty job will motivate you throughout the rest of your life to be something more.

Then when you get home from that shitty job, start investing the money you earned into anything that you want to pursue - Amazon FBA, publishing, etc.
Would you consider a job where you do the same tedious thing over and over all day for low pay to be "shitty"? I am a pretty motivated person already, but I agree that it would probably help to see what it's really like to work hard enough to add value before I start a business.

Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Would you consider a tedious job where you do the same tedious thing over and over all day for low pay to be "shitty"? I am a pretty motivated person already, but I agree that it would probably help to see what it's really like to work hard enough to add value before I start a business.

Basically any real job you get as a 15 year old is going to suck. Just get a job.

And it's not about learning how to add value. It's about cementing in your brain that it's a lot better to work hard and sacrifice now, than to be 30 years old and work a job you hate.

Run a business while you have a job.

You have to spend money and often lose money to learn. The money you earn from your job will help fund your learning, while at the same time the job teaches you an important lesson.

4 years from now when all your friends are out drinking and calling you dumb for wanting to start a business, you'll have a lot less qualms about sitting down and doing work. Then 4 years after that they'll go onto their shitty jobs while you'll hopefully be free from the rat race.

DistressedDenim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2018
US
Basically any real job you get as a 15 year old is going to suck. Just get a job.

And it's not about learning how to add value. It's about cementing in your brain that it's a lot better to work hard and sacrifice now, than to be 30 years old and work a job you hate.

Run a business while you have a job.

You have to spend money and often lose money to learn. The money you earn from your job will help fund your learning, while at the same time the job teaches you an important lesson.

4 years from now when all your friends are out drinking and calling you dumb for wanting to start a business, you'll have a lot less qualms about sitting down and doing work. Then 4 years after that they'll go onto their shitty jobs while you'll hopefully be free from the rat race.
I understood what you meant, but I worded my response horribly. Sorry lol.

I had not thought about the fact that I will need money to fund my learning, so I'm going to get a job by Monday.

What type of business should I start?

Hopefully in 4 years I'll have a business that makes enough money to keep haters away.

dmichaelmccann

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Dec 20, 2015
New Jersey
Thanks for the advice, I am pretty interested in learning copywriting so do you think that it would be better to do that than web design? Also, would you recommend getting a job or hustling?

Yeah like Against All Odds said definitely get a job to make some money but also run the business on the side. If you prefer copywriting to web design I would say go for that; they are both great paths so you can't really go wrong.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.