The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I approach businesses?

xmartel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jul 22, 2008
Canada, eh!
Slight thread derail.
At what point will you delegate these tasks?
If your company is decent sized surely you've admin etc that have authorisation & autonomy for small purchases such as websites jobbers etc
Shouldn't a boss work on his business not in his business?
Yes Andy I know you like coal.

A complete website redevelopment isn't something that I'd ever not be involved in regardless of how large my company got. A lot of the technical work is delegated, but I'd be involved in the process. For small tasks to keep it updated, yes this is handled by my team and I have little involvement other than to occasionally critique it to make sure it's meeting my standard.

I'm not sure there's a set answer to your question. It depends on your business.

I've learned that business ebs and flows. Sometimes working on your business involves getting dirty and working in your business for periods of time.
Don't ever think you'll be too high to not get your hands dirty, and if you're not willing because you think your time is too important at those moments when you should, then your business will suffer for it.

One example is from last summer. Long story short we had a landscape component to two custom homes being built side-by-side. Our landscaper became a liability and it was the 11th hour. I certainly had a ton of important things to do to work on my business. But working in my business at this moment was more valuable.

So I rolled up my sleeves and rented a skid steer. I had to bring in about 100 yards of soil through a less than 4' wide space (so I had to use an S70) and build up the grade on a steep hill over 4' deep feathered down to 1' deep at the bottom. Half of which was on the other side of a freshly poured (2 days previous) concrete walkway that went up the hill, and was almost 2' above starting grade where I had to cross. So I had to build a dirt ramp up and over it in such a manner that the concrete would be protected.

So I spent close to 34 hours in 2 days working in my business.

Could I have delegated the work to one of my employees? Possibly. But it was a critical job that none of them were trained for, and how could I ask them to put that kind of hard work and time in if I wasn't willing to do it?

I lead the way and worked hard in a very dirty and noisy job. And my employees saw it and were inspired by it. I gained more of their respect that day, and it was a great team effort. We bonded and they ended up putting personal things aside and stayed late with me to help make it happen. With no extra pay because they're just on salary.

And in the end we did a better job than any landscaper typically does. That much fill and after a year of rain and settling, (anyone that's built homes knows disturbed soil can settle an incredible amount), it only settled about 1/2".

As the boss, by working in my business those days, I did work on it.

This is a larger tangible example. But there will be many smaller times where as the boss, it's just time to roll up your sleeves and get dirty.

I can look back and see the times where I thought my time was too important and I didn't work in the business when it called for that attention, and it cost my business dearly.

Also, regardless of any delegation, it doesn't stop people from getting a hold of my number or email and trying to solicit me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LaneMan

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 4, 2020
Mauritius
I run a decent sized construction business and I get solicitation calls daily from guys like yourself and other small construction business owners trying to get sub work from me.

It's at the point that I don't answer the phone or return their call unless I know the number, and I delete all the emails that come through without response.

Everyone has a generic message about wanting work, or wanting to "have a conversation about my needs.." blah blah.

And speak of the devil, I just got another call from an electrician as I was writing this. He did a piss poor job in his message. He won't be getting a call back.

I know some people are going to think this is rude of me. They took the time to call, so why can't I extend the courtesy of letting them know that I don't have work for them.

But when you get to a certain size, you don't have time to return all these messages. I like being courteous to people, but I can't afford to be wasting time returning calls when I've got a business to run.
And I would also argue that it's not courteous wasting my time doing a crap job trying to get my businesses. If you want me to invest time in a return call, then invest time in reaching out with some value and professionalism.

There's only 2 ways anyone has ever got a message or call back from me.

1. I just happen to really need exactly what they were selling at that moment.

For example, years ago my trim carpenter was no longer available and I got a message that day from a trim carpenter looking for work. He got called back. He did good work. And now he still works for me.

This is based on the pure luck that you call at the exact moment the owner is experiencing a pain that your service solves.

But you can't do a shotgun approach hoping for luck to strike. This leaves option 2 has the best in my experience.

2. Guys have sent me an email, (so that I can process it when I have time instead of an interruption by phone), and the email clearly and succinctly tells me what value they provide and includes a quote with real numbers that I can dive into without needing to reach out to them.

For example, the electrician that just called me should drive by one of my job sites. And without trespassing on my property, evaluate the home from the street and send me a quote for that home with a brief description of the quality work they do and their experience.

For building a website, this would be even easier for someone, as a drive-by of my internet property is quite simple.

Then follow up, as this method isn't guaranteed to work on the first attempt. I'm still a busy guy.

This approach certainly takes more time. But I guarantee it works way better than any other method anyone has ever tried with me.

It's an interesting to see it from your perspective because you would be a potential client.

I would. Your target business may not see it that way.
For me, at the very least, I want to have access to dns servers so that I can turn it away from a website that went rogue if the dev ever went south on me.
Had my last dev die on me, middle aged man, you would never have known.
He had everything on his server, and a lot of things in his name, luckily we things were in my name so I was able to get everything with the help of one of his friends before the server went offline.

See above, control is very important to me, for obvious reasons.

Yea it's really bad when devs ghost on you and I offer a contract for that reason.

Basically, it makes sure that the website stays up online as long as the client is paying me and if he decides to stop, I give him the right to transfer his domain.

When I started, I thought about giving the client the site to host himself but then my first two clients didn't know anything about websites and they wanted someone to manage everything.

The only thing they did on their own was configure Outlook to get emails.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
A complete website redevelopment isn't something that I'd ever not be involved in regardless of how large my company got. A lot of the technical work is delegated, but I'd be involved in the process. For small tasks to keep it updated, yes this is handled by my team and I have little involvement other than to occasionally critique it to make sure it's meeting my standard.

I'm not sure there's a set answer to your question. It depends on your business.

I've learned that business ebs and flows. Sometimes working on your business involves getting dirty and working in your business for periods of time.
Don't ever think you'll be too high to not get your hands dirty, and if you're not willing because you think your time is too important at those moments when you should, then your business will suffer for it.

One example is from last summer. Long story short we had a landscape component to two custom homes being built side-by-side. Our landscaper became a liability and it was the 11th hour. I certainly had a ton of important things to do to work on my business. But working in my business at this moment was more valuable.

So I rolled up my sleeves and rented a skid steer. I had to bring in about 100 yards of soil through a less than 4' wide space (so I had to use an S70) and build up the grade on a steep hill over 4' deep feathered down to 1' deep at the bottom. Half of which was on the other side of a freshly poured (2 days previous) concrete walkway that went up the hill, and was almost 2' above starting grade where I had to cross. So I had to build a dirt ramp up and over it in such a manner that the concrete would be protected.

So I spent close to 34 hours in 2 days working in my business.

Could I have delegated the work to one of my employees? Possibly. But it was a critical job that none of them were trained for, and how could I ask them to put that kind of hard work and time in if I wasn't willing to do it?

I lead the way and worked hard in a very dirty and noisy job. And my employees saw it and were inspired by it. I gained more of their respect that day, and it was a great team effort. We bonded and they ended up putting personal things aside and stayed late with me to help make it happen. With no extra pay because they're just on salary.

And in the end we did a better job than any landscaper typically does. That much fill and after a year of rain and settling, (anyone that's built homes knows disturbed soil can settle an incredible amount), it only settled about 1/2".

As the boss, by working in my business those days, I did work on it.

This is a larger tangible example. But there will be many smaller times where as the boss, it's just time to roll up your sleeves and get dirty.

I can look back and see the times where I thought my time was too important and I didn't work in the business when it called for that attention, and it cost my business dearly.

Also, regardless of any delegation, it doesn't stop people from getting a hold of my number or email and trying to solicit me.
The hairs came up on the back of my neck reading this.

“People listen to experts, they follow leaders.” (Dan Gallapoo)

Not everyone is able to do the coal-face work for the business they run. Some would argue that they shouldn’t. I prefer to be at what we deliver, and this story reminds me why.

Thanks for sharing!

( @Kak @Vigilante ... I know you guys discussed this in one of your threads. Maybe a good topic for a radio show?)

GMBSource

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 1, 2020
Canada
Send a fake fax. You may be thinking what the hell is this guy talking about?

I got my first client by sending a fake fax. On a piece of paper, I wrote, "Hey Dustin, I've been calling your office but you guys are slammed right now! Website is done and it looks beautiful! Not bad for just $900!"

Honestly, the price was way too low, but this was my first method.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
I've edited because of this

Last edited:

Ma.Gico

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Jun 7, 2020
Germany
Just the reply I hoped to elicit.
Worthy of its own thread, inspiration to the youngsters.

Definitely a nominee for a Golden Canary at the next Coal Face Worker's AGM Andy?
That's what it's all aboot eh?
We've all had to hitch up our skirts & get down & dirty, although for me it's usually when the navy's in port.

My reply may sound glib but I'm being totally sincere here, I was painfully shy, an introvert, shy/wild & even today pretty much a recluse that avoids any kind of social interaction.

I detest making calls even as a customer to order things when there's no internet option, it's extremely debilitating.
So after agonizing, feeling that sick sensation in the pit of my stomach from dread, overcoming the panic attack, I just hit dial, gird my loins, hope I won't be paralyzed by fear & make a complete fool of myself.
*Remember this is a call I'm making as a customer, to buy, not sell, imagine what I go through for those.*
Sidenote, I've currently delayed sending an email for a month because it entails the guy calling me back, oh the horror!

And if you don't face your monsters it won't get easier the older you get, I'm almost 57, lived with this my whole life.
As a child I sheepishly stood on the sidelines, terrified to ask if I could join in the soccer game.
As a youth I was mortified by girls, recoiled from any interaction with them.
In fact I once had a girlfriend that I managed to avoid for our whole brief one week courtship; her friends asked if I would go out with her, I proceeded to avoid her at school & finished with her by the same method, not once did we lay eyes upon each other during that time.

Yet every single job I've ever had put me in the precise predicament I dread: being in front of people! Customer service, salesman, actor, model, teacher, trainer, speaker, comic

Oh cruel fate how you mock me, my karma haunts me like the ghosts of Christmas Carol.

Now I sit here in my armchair, cold, empty, a broken, twisted, shriveled husk, hands set like talons, bitter, resentful, filled with scorn, hatred, regret.

I implore you LaneMan, don't make the mistakes I made, fight your demons, for they are paper tigers, without substance, claws or teeth to harm you.

They are but a mirage of your mind, phantoms whose ghoulish vapours prey on doubt in the tiniest recesses of your psyche, they cloud your thoughts, they seize them, magnify them into an all powerful genie, unstoppable & omnipotent.

But it's only in your mind, because when you actually quell your fear & take action they disperse, the skies clear, sun shines, birds sing, you revel in being alive, experience the wonders of humanity.

Take action, you'll find the results pleasantly surprising, you'll experience euphoria, endorphins surging, serotonin coursing when you vanquish those thoughts & become master of your own domain.

Behold more introverts!
Check them out, perhaps inspire you.

"Regret" and "What if" at this moment are the drives that motivates me to improve all aspects of my life. Ive never worked so hard to improve myself since last year that i hit my 30s and got conscious about things ive never finished or havent put the work to accomplish.
Im not a native english speaker and my english is quite regular but in my opinion your writing skills are amazing. Maybe you already do i dont know but you could dedicate yourself to writing a blog, articles, books etc.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
If you join local networking groups, when they start meeting in person again anyway, you'll meet a lot of business owners in your area. Some of them will be at the point where they need a new web site. Others will know people who do. Talk to bankers and consultants and business coaches, and see if they know of any young businesses that took out loans to fund their new business (if that's your target), or businesses that recently got a new owner who wants to update things, etc.

For calling, call the gatekeepers and tell them you're trying to make an appointment with Frank (insert actual owner name) to discuss web development. Plenty will stop you there, others will pass the message on. A few Franks will call you back. If you've met them in person while networking, yet don't have their cell number yet, use that.

Going back to "who has your customer." Supposed competitors are great. In one business, I used to get 80% of my new business from "competitors." Except I solved a subset of problems that they did not.

Also, bankers, because they know who is looking for what and they talk to everyone. Meet the branch managers and loan officers.

Related service businesses, like IT consultants. People who do IT support or security consulting are always being asked "hey you know about computers, can you make me a web site?" They can not make a web site. Give them someone to refer those questions away to, you.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Introvert & pilferer

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.