The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How can I Fastlane my current business?

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Just like a fish who isn't aware it lives in water because it was born there, I also wasn't aware I was still swimming in the slowlane ocean because it's all I've ever known.

I should be the one providing jobs instead of working one.
Next step is to find out that creating jobs could be a slowlane and full of headaches venture as well.
Pretty often it gets to the point of no return even worse than 9-to-5.

Currently our problem is that we want more customers so we can make more money.
I'd look into manufacturing from now on. What can you possibly manufacture?
Once you have something, you can scale very quickly, unlike the business you currently run as it relies on too many variables.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Random_0

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Aug 4, 2016
Here are my takeaways from your interview with @Random_0 while we wait for our interview.

My biggest take away from your interview with Random is that just because you own a business doesn't make you a business owner.

The business can very well own you.

Which is still a better and more rewarding life than working for somebody else

Hiring contractors and/or consultants is something I've been reluctant to do,

It's unavoidable - hire experts to do their thing and middleman the process

I think Random said it in your interview that you just can't do it alone.

If you did, you'd be stuck doing the thing you do best and stretching yourself out thin with crap results.

Another take away is the concept of upgrading your problems.

As long as you're committed then each problem will probably uncover new barriers to each step you need to take. You've already passed one step: What do I do about hiring?! - You have already worked out that subcontract workers are a solution to that problem

My mind is racing with ideas, questions, desires and fear.

Feeling overwhelmed because there is so much I don't know but also excited because I have so much to learn.

Just start now, the fear is because you're about to start something new. Have your old actions got you rich?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Here are my takeaways from your interview with @Random_0 while we wait for our interview.

My biggest take away from your interview with Random is that just because you own a business doesn't make you a business owner.

The business can very well own you.

This isn't my first time learning about business systems that run independently of the owner's involvement and I understand the concept, but I was completely blown away by how unaware I had become to the fact that I am the one being worked by my business instead of the other way around.

Even after reading @MJ DeMarco book I saw myself as having at least one foot in the Fastlane door simply because I owned a business, but in reality I've just created another job for myself.

Just like a fish who isn't aware it lives in water because it was born there, I also wasn't aware I was still swimming in the slowlane ocean because it's all I've ever known.

I should be the one providing jobs instead of working one.

Aside from that revelation I also realized how little I've utilize resources that are right in front of me.

AdWords have been around for ages. I see them every time I Google something, but not once has it ever occurred to me to utilize this tool. Honestly, I didn't think AdWords worked. I can't remember the last time I've clicked or even paid attention to one. But it's obvious by Random's results that they do indeed work. It's also possible that the AdWords I've seen are ineffective at making me click or that I've desensitized myself to them because of a false belief that they don't work.

Hearing Random talk about his fear of losing control also rang a bell. I'm so used to BEING my business that delegating aspects of it makes me nervous. I've been my own employee and boss for so long it's hard to think of giving up control. But now I'm also curious as to how I can start delegating more so I can actually get down to running a business.

Hiring contractors and/or consultants is something I've been reluctant to do, partly because we need to make more money, but also because I've been trying to do it all myself. Although I give myself credit for getting as far as I have, I now realize that hiring a pro could have saved me a ton of time. It's comparable to people who spend a whole Saturday morning trying to repair their own washing machine when they could have just paid us to do it in 30 minutes so they could enjoy the rest of their morning playing outside with their kids. Who knows what potential I could've reached by now with the help of a solid team.

I think Random said it in your interview that you just can't do it alone.

Another take away is the concept of upgrading your problems. Currently our problem is that we want more customers so we can make more money. But I want to upgrade that problem to the next level which would be having an abundance of consumers and not enough time to meet all their needs, which in turn would require/allow us to expand. Realizing the problem is there, looking to solve it and seeking bigger problems is an eye opener for me.

My mind is racing with ideas, questions, desires and fear.

Feeling overwhelmed because there is so much I don't know but also excited because I have so much to learn.
Thanks for listening and for writing your takeaways @tonyf7

It's as if a flick has been switched, and I'm delighted.

Yes, as business owners we will always be problem solvers. That not only goes with the territory, but is a role we need to revel in.

Solving one problem means we will be confronted by a new problem immediately. This indicates we're MAKING PROGRESS.

When we're still trying to solve the same problem, then we're not making progress. We are then (by definition) STUCK.

And yes, as the business owner our job is no longer to DO the work at the coalface. We create jobs, we don't do them.

@Random_0 is making great progress because he has got over his ego. He's not "fearless" - because that isn't normal. He's *courageous* because he faces his fears and takes them on regardless.

Let's have a chat next week. I much prefer calling them chats than interviews. We're just guys shooting the breeze over a virtual coffee.

Personally, I'd love to just hear you two guys talking together. I think that would be a really interesting chat to eavesdrop on.

We'll work something out.

Thanks again for your feedback.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Even after reading @MJ DeMarco book I saw myself as having at least one foot in the Fastlane door simply because I owned a business, but in reality I've just created another job for myself.

If your signup date is accurate, you are doing quite well. It takes some of us (me) YEARS to utilize all of the information and help in these forums.

Keep it up!

edit - I thought the quote was a great example of you taking in this info.

Last edited:

Random_0

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Aug 4, 2016

Hearing Random talk about his fear of losing control also rang a bell. I'm so used to BEING my business that delegating aspects of it makes me nervous.

The first time I delegated part of my job out was with my accountant.

I pay approx 20-40+ invoices per week to subcontractors. I hate adding them up and the various legal crap that comes with paying subcontracted tradesmen in the UK. I make loads of mistakes and hate the process.

I wanted someone to do the whole thing for me... my accountant finds it easy and doesn't even charge me extra. I share a Dropbox folder with him and he dictates to me weekly where to make the payments. There is no fear involved. This system saves me time and money.

That delegation means that I can focus on making money.

tonyf7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 27, 2016
Arkansas
Which is still a better and more rewarding life than working for somebody else

Uhm, hell yes.

It's unavoidable - hire experts to do their thing and middleman the process

I'm see that it's inevitable. Time to find me some middlemen.

Just start now, the fear is because you're about to start something new. Have your old actions got you rich?

Well, my current action could get me rich if I just keep investing in this one awesome mutual fun... haha. Fear hasn't stopped me from getting this far and it won't stop me for going further!

Random_0

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Aug 4, 2016
Uhm, hell yes.

I'm see that it's inevitable. Time to find me some middlemen.

Wasn't your repair-man uncle a chance for you as a middleman? He can fix appliances - bring him an appliance, pay him to fix it and sell for more. Is that not a process that can be duplicated all over the US?

tonyf7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 27, 2016
Arkansas
Thanks for listening and for writing your takeaways @tonyf7

It's as if a flick has been switched, and I'm delighted.

Yes, as business owners we will always be problem solvers. That not only goes with the territory, but is a role we need to revel in.

Solving one problem means we will be confronted by a new problem immediately. This indicates we're MAKING PROGRESS.

When we're still trying to solve the same problem, then we're not making progress. We are then (by definition) STUCK.

And yes, as the business owner our job is no longer to DO the work at the coalface. We create jobs, we don't do them.

@Random_0 is making great progress because he has got over his ego. He's not "fearless" - because that isn't normal. He's *courageous* because he faces his fears and takes them on regardless.

Let's have a chat next week. I much prefer calling them chats than interviews. We're just guys shooting the breeze over a virtual coffee.

Personally, I'd love to just hear you two guys talking together. I think that would be a really interesting chat to eavesdrop on.

We'll work something out.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Seems in addition to being problem solvers that business owners are also problem seekers. Not sure if you're into hip hop but maybe @MJ DeMarco will get this Notorious B.I.G. reference. One of his songs says "Mo Money, Mo Problems" but now I see it's really more like "More Problems, More Money."

Changed "interview to "chat" btw.

:tiphat:

tonyf7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 27, 2016
Arkansas
If your signup date is accurate, you are doing quite well. It takes some of us (me) YEARS to utilize all of the information and help in these forums.

Keep it up!

edit - I thought the quote was a great example of you taking in this info.

Crazy how you think you're understanding something, and maybe you are, but fail to put the spotlight on yourself to examine if your'e displaying the same symptoms of the ailment you're reading about.

tonyf7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 27, 2016
Arkansas
The first time I delegated part of my job out was with my accountant.

I pay approx 20-40+ invoices per week to subcontractors. I hate adding them up and the various legal crap that comes with paying subcontracted tradesmen in the UK. I make loads of mistakes and hate the process.

I wanted someone to do the whole thing for me... my accountant finds it easy and doesn't even charge me extra. I share a Dropbox folder with him and he dictates to me weekly where to make the payments. There is no fear involved. This system saves me time and money.

That delegation means that I can focus on making money.

Contractors, accountant and a call center. Seems you're building a nice team there. Looking forward to picking your brain further.

tonyf7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Oct 27, 2016
Arkansas
Wasn't your repair-man uncle a chance for you as a middleman? He can fix appliances - bring him an appliance, pay him to fix it and sell for more. Is that not a process that can be duplicated all over the US?
He's at a point agewise and healthwise that he needs me to take on most of the physical work when repairing appliances. His English is also limited so I do most of the talking when dealing with customers.

Jeanne Gray

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 21, 2017
Westfield
Correct. Like your ideas of craigslist for new business startup. But on the track of fastening your business; no matter how successful your small business is it’s going to be a j-o-b until your crafts it to follow the rules for right business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.