The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hiring employees for jobs that suck

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Suggestions?!?! If I had anything to contribute here, I promise....I would.

My wife and I are running a successful business. Our staff makeup today is my daughter, my daughter-in-law, my sister-in-law, my wifes cousin, and my sons girlfriend. So yeah, its been great being surrounded by family that seems to do a decent job at helping us run this business. But I need another employee, and if we want to scale further, we will need to hire outsiders.

The jobs that we need to hire for are fairly low paying, low skill, and can really test someones patience. That all being said, I have no experience with this. Anyone that can give tips would be appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
This might not help, but it seems that you are in a similar position to mine when my importing business boomed.

I wanted to scale, and all willing and available family members were working in the business. I chose franchising and it took off like a house on fire.

Franchising is not an easy road, so if you can think of some other way to enable your new employees to have some skin in the game, that usually results in them being better employees.

Walter

Sheens

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 13, 2018
USA
It is assumable that every business is unique to the person, abilities, personality, etc. that would be a best fit for the company, but in a case like this possibly look to those in your community that may be retired and looking for extra income.

On a similar note, not necessarily even retired. There are those that I have spoken to recently that don't necessarily want to leave the rat-race he or she has been in for years, but they do want to 'leave work at work' and have home life free of those stresses.

In addition, would you want to cater to people with unique time constraints? For example, trying to work around a school schedule for parents.

Wishing you the best in your search!

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA

My wife and I are running a successful business. Our staff makeup today is my daughter, my daughter-in-law, my sister-in-law, my wifes cousin, and my sons girlfriend. So yeah, its been great being surrounded by family that seems to do a decent job at helping us run this business. But I need another employee, and if we want to scale further, we will need to hire outsiders.

The jobs that we need to hire for are fairly low paying, low skill, and can really test someones patience. That all being said, I have no experience with this. Anyone that can give tips would be appreciated.

While you may not be able to "pay" them more in $, you can pay them more by what you are learning to help them be something more.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona

Good luck man...seriously.

Now, to add something more constructive, it will be a learning curve as you go. You will inevitably make some hires that don’t work out, and you’ll find some gems. The only way is to just start doing it.

As far as the actual position goes, whenever I hired for lower paying entry level jobs I always made the expectations as well as the potential clear. It was a stressful job at times, however the payoff was that I advanced people from within. If there is a legitimate future opportunity for a person that is hired at entry level you might be surprised with how much effort they give you.

No matter what the job and the person if you have their back and keep their interests and future goals in mind they will (generally) do right by you.

Without giving us too much info, can you elaborate on the positions? Is it sales, customer service, cleaning toilets? ( @MJ DeMarco is already experienced I believe, though probably not actively looking to get back into it)

Last edited:

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Can you tell us what type of business? I remember awhile ago maybe you mentioned what business you are in? If you don't want to, that's ok. Might be easier to give insight

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Sure.....we are state licensed care providers. There really is only two positions....house manager and caregiver. There isnt much opportunity for advancement. Advancement is really not something we can offer for great work.

Every single person that knows about our line of business has said that they couldnt deal with it. Its really tough, mentally draining, and invasive. But i wouldnt trade it for anything.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I think you are wrong and have the wrong opinion about this type of work. YOU love it and there are others that love it as well. Don't look down on this, some people live for this type of work.

Do you think it's better or worse than the person that drains the toilets of a plane after every flight?

Do you think it's better or worse than a barnyard masturbator?

Do you think it's better or worse than a lift pump remover? Every time you flush a toilet, the waste is sent off to the treatment plant for processing. Upon arrival at the plant, the first thing that happens to the waste is that it enters the 5 story high lift pump chamber. The problem, however, is that sometimes the pump breaks. When this happens, a person wearing a full body suit and SCUBA gear has to swim through the mess of excrement and tie a rope to the pump so that it can be pulled out and replaced. Not too many have the stomach for this task.

Maybe the job you are offering isn't so bad after all is it? I guess my question is, why do you look down on what you do so bad? No matter what you do, take pride in it, offer the job as if it's the best job anyone could have and you will get better workers. Do you think your family is the only ones that likes that type of work? Don't offer the job and say.... well, I know it sucks and you probably won't make it a week but hopefully you show up tomorrow....... Stand up straight and be proud of what you are offering. You are going to get people who don't want to work, yep, that's the way it is. People will say they are going to show up and you will not see them again unless they are wanted on the news. It's not just the work that you are offering, that's the world we live in.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
I think you are wrong and have the wrong opinion about this type of work. YOU love it and there are others that love it as well. Don't look down on this, some people live for this type of work.

Do you think it's better or worse than the person that drains the toilets of a plane after every flight?

Do you think it's better or worse than a lift pump remover? Every time you flush a toilet, the waste is sent off to the treatment plant for processing. Upon arrival at the plant, the first thing that happens to the waste is that it enters the 5 story high lift pump chamber. The problem, however, is that sometimes the pump breaks. When this happens, a person wearing a full body suit and SCUBA gear has to swim through the mess of excrement and tie a rope to the pump so that it can be pulled out and replaced. Not too many have the stomach for this task.

Maybe the job you are offering isn't so bad after all is it? I guess my question is, why do you look down on what you do so bad? No matter what you do, take pride in it, offer the job as if it's the best job anyone could have and you will get better workers. Do you think your family is the only ones that likes that type of work? Don't offer the job and say.... well, I know it sucks and you probably won't make it a week but hopefully you show up tomorrow....... Stand up straight and be proud of what you are offering. You are going to get people who don't want to work, yep, that's the way it is. People will say they are going to show up and you will not see them again unless they are wanted on the news. It's not just the work that you are offering, that's the world we live in.
True. Perhaps I didn’t choose the right title. Maybe it’s an unsexy job. The point is, I am a little slow nsure about how to attract workers to an unsexy job. My wife and I love it, but not too many people come out of high school or college saying “gee, I would love to be a caregiver”.

Chandler Ruffini

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 28, 2019
I've spent the last week in a class for transitioning veterans seeing as I am getting out of the military here soon, but there is a lot of us that have no clue where to go or what to do, perhaps even looking for a job that will help us pay the bills as we go to school and figure out what we want to do. The number of veterans that are on the streets is also at an alarming amount. Veterans make up 11% of the homeless population while that number may seem small it's actually quite significant when you look at the grand scheme of things and how only about 7% of Americans are vets. While I'm not speaking for all vets, we as a whole are mostly extremely hardworking and disciplined people that want to make a difference and really help people. Maybe you could look into one of the vet hiring programs and see if you could go through one to find some people that need a job as bad as you need help and wouldn't mind the low pay to help people and put a little purpose back into their lives.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
True. Perhaps I didn’t choose the right title. Maybe it’s an unsexy job. The point is, I am a little slow nsure about how to attract workers to an unsexy job. My wife and I love it, but not too many people come out of high school or college saying “gee, I would love to be a caregiver”.

I know a woman that does this for private clientele. And she's extremely good at it, and proud of what she does.

Her clients greatly appreciate her, and she KNOWS she is providing a very valuable service.

Some people ARE cut out for this job, and would thrive in it. Don't be so quick to discount it. Beats being in a cubicle or working in a kitchen for many people - by miles.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I actually just saw a movie about this too. Upside, with Kevin Hart. You HAVE to see that movie. It was so well done - and very honest - that it blew my wife and I away.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013

Maybe you offer something other than direct pay.

At some point, what I am about to mention does cost.. but it's not a direct every 2 week cost. It's more indirect.

1. Offer better or longer paid time off.
2. Offer flexible hours.
3. Can you offer healthcare? If so, make it better than most other employers.
4. Can you offer free room and board?
5. Is there a way to team up with a local university that offers co-op ( in nursing maybe ) to get interns or such in the door?
6. Can you bring in people that are not licensed, train them for lower pay, so they can learn to get their license?

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
I've hired for a similarly boring job a couple of times now. A few suggestions...

1. Look at the candidates past job history to see if they have worked at boring, low paying jobs for long stretches in the past

2. Hire someone older whos just interested in steady pay and isn't looking to climb the corporate ladder

3. Be honest and detailed about the nature of the work during interviews. Let them know exactly what a typical day would look like for them and the challenges they would face

4. Start getting all of your processes documented so they are done correctly and consistently. This also cuts down on training time in the future.

Last edited:

sig559

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 8, 2018
USA
Hire a Filipina (someone from the Philippines). Seriously. My partner is a Filipina and she works as a caregiver in a local retirement home. Loves it. Loves working with a bunch of other Filipinos/Filipinas (o for dudes, a for ladies) who also love caring for old people.

Respect for the elderly plays a big role in their culture so I'd highly recommend making the most of that and active seeking Filipinas for the roles you need to fill. Surely there's a number of new arrivals near you that are keen to work?

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018

This post needs to win an award for Most Encouraging Poo Story Ever.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.