The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hey I'm Frank

TheUnum

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Sep 29, 2015
Chapel Hill, NC
I've been lurking on the Fastlane forum off and on for a little more than a year now, but I never actually engaged. This post aims to change that.

Where I'm At Right Now

Right now, I'm a 19-year old student at UNC Chapel Hill (if anyone in the area wants to meet up, PM me!) who's trying to learn anything and everything. While I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing with my life, I do know that my end goal is to work for myself. Over the last year since joining this forum, I've taken steps to bring this into fruition by starting a website (monetized by ads and affiliate links) that now brings in around $2500 a month. I honestly can't tell you how amazing it feels to start something that makes you a livable income, but I still don't know how long term the site is. This is because the site relies entirely on SEO, and anyone that deals with SEO knows how fickle Google can be.

Things I'm Working On

While I think making a blog and monetizing with ads and affiliate links is a good way for beginners to get into making money online, I don't want to get stuck here. I want to build a brand and promote my own products. My goal at this moment is to get into E-commerce. I started a drop shipping site using Aliexpress a few months back that made me about $1500 profit in a month mostly using Facebook ads, but I ended up shutting it down due to shipping times just being outright horrible. Even though this site was an absolute failure, it did allow me to get a taste of just how awesome owning an E-commerce store can be.

I plan on attempting to create a profitable t-shirt/accessory business due to being able to utilize printing services such as Printful (if anyone's tried this before, please share your experiences in the comments below). I know this is a difficult market to get into and that a niche is crucial if you wish to be successful. The hardest thing with this is trying to figure out how I can add value to a t-shirt/accessory business, even with their already being so many. I've checked out a few stories on successful t-shirt business's, but all of the designs felt tacky to me. I'd probably start by creating an Instagram/Facebook account and posting relevant content for those audiences and then finally promoting my products once they're ready. With this being such a competitive market, I think this will be an awesome time to test how far my marketing skills have come.

I've also looked into some products I could buy wholesale from Alibaba and create a brand around. I'd sell these products on sites such as Amazon, Ebay, and the brands site. I've found a few products that seem to have insane profit margins and sell in huge volumes using tools such as unicorn smasher.

There is so much more that I'd like to talk about, but to keep this short I'm going to cut this off here.

Things I'm Struggling With

If I had to pick one thing, I struggle with it'd be indecisiveness. Everything seems so appealing to me, and I want to try all of it. I thoroughly enjoy making money online and am just super amazed that I've been born into such an era with so much opportunity.

I'm also trying to figure out how to better manage my time. Being apart of a few clubs and being a full-time student takes away a lot of time I could devote to my business ventures. I've been looking into some time management software, so hopefully this will become a problem of the past soon.

Conclusion

Have patience. I've heard these two words hundreds of times by successful entrepreneurs such as Gary Vaynerchuck and even from my father. This has always been something I struggled with, but as I get older I'm starting to realize anything that's worth anything takes time. In order to get to where I want to go, In need to change my mindset and also communicate with other like-minded individuals. My hope is that the fast lane forum becomes an integral part of my journey and that I can also help others who're traveling in the same lane as me. I wish everyone who read this good health, and killer work ethic.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I've been lurking on the Fastlane forum off and on for a little more than a year now, but I never actually engaged. This post aims to change that.

Where I'm At Right Now

Right now, I'm a 19-year old student at UNC Chapel Hill (if anyone in the area wants to meet up, PM me!) who's trying to learn anything and everything. While I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing with my life, I do know that my end goal is to work for myself. Over the last year since joining this forum, I've taken steps to bring this into fruition by starting a website (monetized by ads and affiliate links) that now brings in around $2500 a month. I honestly can't tell you how amazing it feels to start something that makes you a livable income, but I still don't know how long term the site is. This is because the site relies entirely on SEO, and anyone that deals with SEO knows how fickle Google can be.

Things I'm Working On

While I think making a blog and monetizing with ads and affiliate links is a good way for beginners to get into making money online, I don't want to get stuck here. I want to build a brand and promote my own products. My goal at this moment is to get into E-commerce. I started a drop shipping site using Aliexpress a few months back that made me about $1500 profit in a month mostly using Facebook ads, but I ended up shutting it down due to shipping times just being outright horrible. Even though this site was an absolute failure, it did allow me to get a taste of just how awesome owning an E-commerce store can be.

I plan on attempting to create a profitable t-shirt/accessory business due to being able to utilize printing services such as Printful (if anyone's tried this before, please share your experiences in the comments below). I know this is a difficult market to get into and that a niche is crucial if you wish to be successful. The hardest thing with this is trying to figure out how I can add value to a t-shirt/accessory business, even with their already being so many. I've checked out a few stories on successful t-shirt business's, but all of the designs felt tacky to me. I'd probably start by creating an Instagram/Facebook account and posting relevant content for those audiences and then finally promoting my products once they're ready. With this being such a competitive market, I think this will be an awesome time to test how far my marketing skills have come.

I've also looked into some products I could buy wholesale from Alibaba and create a brand around. I'd sell these products on sites such as Amazon, Ebay, and the brands site. I've found a few products that seem to have insane profit margins and sell in huge volumes using tools such as unicorn smasher.

There is so much more that I'd like to talk about, but to keep this short I'm going to cut this off here.

Things I'm Struggling With

If I had to pick one thing, I struggle with it'd be indecisiveness. Everything seems so appealing to me, and I want to try all of it. I thoroughly enjoy making money online and am just super amazed that I've been born into such an era with so much opportunity.

I'm also trying to figure out how to better manage my time. Being apart of a few clubs and being a full-time student takes away a lot of time I could devote to my business ventures. I've been looking into some time management software, so hopefully this will become a problem of the past soon.

Conclusion

Have patience. I've heard these two words hundreds of times by successful entrepreneurs such as Gary Vaynerchuck and even from my father. This has always been something I struggled with, but as I get older I'm starting to realize anything that's worth anything takes time. In order to get to where I want to go, In need to change my mindset and also communicate with other like-minded individuals. My hope is that the fast lane forum becomes an integral part of my journey and that I can also help others who're traveling in the same lane as me. I wish everyone who read this good health, and killer work ethic.

Welcome to the forum, and nice work taking action and getting results.

We can't tell you which route to choose, but having $2500 coming in each month is a good foundation to build from.

Indecisiveness can be a bitch, so pick a route and just do it. Don't stop til it's done.

Looking forward to your progress.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Time management doesn't exist. You can't slow time down, speed it up, or make more of it.

It's all about priorities.

If you say you didn't have time for something, then you're really saying it wasn't important enough to do.

You can use the "I didn't have time" excuse with other people, but don't use it on yourself.

You didn't do it because you chose to do something else.

It all boils down to choices.

(Before someone starts arguing - I don't care whether time management exists or not. It's not about whether it's academically true or not - it's about whether this thinking will help you.)

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Time management doesn't exist. You can't slow time down, speed it up, or make more of it.

I disagree.

@TheUnum is making $2,500 a month. That's enough to start hiring contract workers and delegating tasks. Using other people's finite time, is the easiest way to multiply your own time.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I disagree.

@TheUnum is making $2,500 a month. That's enough to start hiring contract workers and delegating tasks. Using other people's finite time, is the easiest way to multiply your own time.
I pretty much agree with both of you. Most things don't get done because of prioritization but a lot more can get done with delegation. I'm currently working on onboarding other people that will spend money on Diesel and Coffee :D

I don't have time to cruise all over the U.S but Independant Reps do.

Welcome, Frank. I lived in Chapel Hill around a decade ago. Great place. Curious how things have changed!

TheUnum

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Sep 29, 2015
Chapel Hill, NC

It's all about priorities.

If you say you didn't have time for something, then you're really saying it wasn't important enough to do.

You can use the "I didn't have time" excuse with other people, but don't use it on yourself.

You didn't do it because you chose to do something else.

It all boils down to choices.

(Before someone starts arguing - I don't care whether time management exists or not. It's not about whether it's academically true or not - it's about whether this thinking will help you.)

You're 100% right. I'm going to do an audit with what I'm actually doing with my time and find out what I can eliminate that's not getting me closer to where I want to be in the future.

TheUnum

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Sep 29, 2015
Chapel Hill, NC
I disagree.

I've been delegating a lot already with my current site using freelance sites like Upwork. It's made the business a lot more passive than it was at first and has helped me create content at an insanely fast rate. I plan on doing this at a much larger scale as I create more sites.

TheUnum

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Sep 29, 2015
Chapel Hill, NC
I pretty much agree with both of you. Most things don't get done because of prioritization but a lot more can get done with delegation. I'm currently working on onboarding other people that will spend money on Diesel and Coffee :D

I don't have time to cruise all over the U.S but Independant Reps do.

Welcome, Frank. I lived in Chapel Hill around a decade ago. Great place. Curious how things have changed!

That's awesome! did you also go to school here or just live in the area?

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
That's awesome! did you also go to school here or just live in the area?
No. My sister went to school there and my family decided to escape NY and move down there as well. When I returned to the U.S after being stationed in Japan I decided to move down there for a bit.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

I plan on attempting to create a profitable t-shirt/accessory business due to being able to utilize printing services such as Printful (if anyone's tried this before, please share your experiences in the comments below).

Hey, welcome to the forum!

@ExcelGuy has an interesting thread about his current journey down that path. Check it here:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/tshirt-designs-will-they-sell.69556/#post-563202

As for Printful, the manufacturing cost seems too expensive in my opinion ($11-$16ish per shirt I believe. Gooten is around $6-$12)
Using Gooten currently and haven't run into problems with them yet...We'll see though. Somewhat wary of those prices.

What you pay for with Printful, in my opinion, is the out-of-the-box integrations with several Ecommerce platforms.
Gooten only integrates with Shopify out of the box BUT does have API support.

So if you don't mind a bit of coding, it may not be so bad. As for me, learning to do "API Stuff" will be a learning curve :)

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

As a side note, Full Time in college, in clubs, making $2500/month? You must be superhuman.
Which begs the question, what is your motivation for college?

TheUnum

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Sep 29, 2015
Chapel Hill, NC
As a side note, Full Time in college, in clubs, making $2500/month? You must be superhuman.
Which begs the question, what is your motivation for college?

Honestly, I don't have a real reason for being in college other than that my family is really big on education and they want me to graduate. I came into college with a lot of credits as I took college classes in high school, so I only have two and a half years to go. My college debt will end up being less than 20k due to in-state tuition being so cheap, so it's not that crazy. I'm going to pay off the college debt as soon as I can, though. I'm Majoring in economics and am applying to the business school next semester so hopefully I get in. I'm just using it as an opportunity to make connections and learn how to be on my own. A degree also provides a pretty nice safety net.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome to the forum and great intro. Congrats on having success already early!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...