The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have you talked to your friends about TMF?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

kkompoti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 23, 2016
Greece
i am just starting to figure out what is going on with TMF and i am really glad i found the forum. But think that it is really revolutionary in the terms of wtf i am doing with my money.

Have you,the ones that read the book, tried to explain it to your friends in order to help them also?

What was their reaction towards changing their mindset?

I am asking because after reading rdpd and after going through a lot of posts in this forum i changed my mindset and i wanted that for some of my friends and family(sister) also. I tried with a lot of examples and analyzing things to show them what is good for them but they hear me, find things interesting and that's it...

They continue with their slowlane mindset. And that bothers me. Trying to do good and not having any result.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I told one of my better friends about it. I think he started reading it. We made a few comments back and forth and discussed it a little bit, but at the end of the day he's a major slowlaner. He has no ambition and, honestly, the total sum of his life has been a big disappointment. Jumping from place to place, dropped out of 2 colleges, etc. He's a doomsdayer. If he gets something in his head, he'll obsess over it and panic. He is in a good position to start something if he'd put the effort in, but his response is just, "I don't want to start a business." I don't talk to him about it anymore and I really don't even make the effort to talk to him anymore. Any conversation we have is always initiated by him.

I don't have any friends who really have the fastlane mindset. I just keep to myself. It's not worth talking about it to anyone because they aren't going to want to do the work. They aren't going to want to learn. It bothers me that all they see is the paycheck in front of them. It bothers me that they work their shift, go home, and then continue their sidewalk/slowlane lifestyle. It bothers me that I'm generally not completely fulfilled at work because I know there is more out there and when I come home I can't relax because I'm thinking about and trying to take action toward the fastlane. It's mentally draining because I'm constantly thinking about it and I can't stop. I don't know what it's like to "work" and then "not work." It's more "work doing what I don't want to do" and then "think and want to work on what I want to work on."

I don't want to come across as not enjoying my job because I do, but I have started to value my time and happiness a little more.

My point for saying all of this is that it's not worth talking to anybody about the book or fastlane stuff. Most people don't even think about these concepts. They are thinking about getting through Friday so they can go drink at the bars Friday night and Saturday night. They are thinking about what the Kardashians are going to do next or who is going to get voted off the island.

Anything I do to help my friends or coworkers is all slowlane stuff. Invest 10-15% of your paycheck in index funds for the next 25 years, stop trying to time the market, quit making bad investments, stop spending all your money, etc.

Last edited:

superb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Sep 8, 2013
I've not told any of my friends - which I hardly see anymore anyway. If my friends were already entrepreneurialy minded, I probably would share it. It's been challenging enough to overcome my own inertia, I do not need their mindset and low aspirations dragging me down.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
i am just starting to figure out what is going on with TMF and i am really glad i found the forum. But think that it is really revolutionary in the terms of wtf i am doing with my money.

Have you,the ones that read the book, tried to explain it to your friends in order to help them also?

I am asking because after reading rdpd and after going through a lot of posts in this forum i changed my mindset and i wanted that for some of my friends and family(sister) also. I tried with a lot of examples and analyzing things to show them what is good for them but they hear me, find things interesting and that's it...

They continue with their slowlane mindset. And that bothers me. Trying to do good and not having any result.

Lead by example, not your words.

Now go make things happen...

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
None of my friends, or atleast as far as i know, have the same desire to be "fastlane", doing the work and learning, like @InspireHD said very well.
Thankfully, through MJ's book and this forum, I've been in touch with like-minded people from the same "area" as me.
Being able to talk about idea's and motivate and help each other is worth a huge amount to me.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I've told countless people. Given away all my copies of TMF with a personal note in them.

None, absolutely none told me they read it, none joined FLF, and they are still doing exactly what they were before.

I guess TMF is something you have to want to find.

_Seba_

AAA
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Jun 24, 2015
Germany
You can´t change every peoples mindset - they must willing to change it by themselves. Either they´re interested in this mindset or you can provide them 100 great books for free and they won´t even read the first three words.

Last edited:
G

Guest34764

Since I only have a digital copy I decided to lend my sister my little library of books.I gave her Rich Dad Poor Dad and asked her if she read it everyday.Since she always complained about working and not having enough money I thought she'd graciously read it.

Wrong, she never picked up the book or even moved it from it's original spot.

I don't think it's just MJ's book, it's every book that can be defined by self-help or entrepreneurship.You have to have a desire first to seek out such books and read past the norm.

superb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Sep 8, 2013
I've told countless people. Given away all my copies of TMF with a personal note in them.

None, absolutely none told me they read it, none joined FLF, and they are still doing exactly what they were before.

It is, but even more, you have to believe something like that can be found. Those of us who gladly received it were/are dissatisfied with the status quo and could never stop looking until we found it. Most people have resigned themselves to living their whole life the same way their family and friends do.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland

... TMF / TFF are now well known and out there for all that wish to seek / discover / adopt. I suspect a general google search on "Best 10 business books" would spit MJ up in your face fast enough. A further due diligence exercise would determine that the principles are sound, real and clearly led by example. However ..... There has got to be a revolutionary shift in the average mindset to have massive impact . That shift may cause the momentum and sow the seed for success. Most of the population won't grasp this new mindset. Family and friends won't listen, as in so doing would mean that they were inferior or were lacking in some way. I have given some copies to people that I felt had it already within them. Whether one reads it or not is not within my control. Lately If anyone asks I will just tell them to google the book title.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I have told quite a few and I think over 10 have gone and bought the book. out of them I don't think any have joined the forum.

I usually pitch the book by asking how much money they make while they sleep. This leads nicely into passive income and the Fastlane approach.

12Nick12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 12, 2015
Chicago
Finding TMF was like finding a goldmine to me, so I couldn't help but tell several people. Most of them have said they would check it out and never did. I've realized that a lot of people claim to want to change their lives, but when they realize it takes actual work they're right back to Netflix. Two of the people I recommend TMF to are regularly on the forum. One finished and the other is in the process of finishing. They both began taking real action after being introduced to TMF and TFLF and are now in the early stages of their first businesses.

kkompoti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 23, 2016
Greece
Finding TMF was like finding a goldmine to me, so I couldn't help but tell several people. Most of them have said they would check it out and never did. I've realized that a lot of people claim to want to change their lives, but when they realize it takes actual work they're right back to Netflix. Two of the people I recommend TMF to are regularly on the forum. One finished and the other is in the process of finishing. They both began taking real action after being introduced to TMF and TFLF and are now in the early stages of their first businesses.

two out of how many?

it is great to hear that you managed to turn some people to the fastlane side! i did not have such a success.
and now what? are they asking you for being their mentor?
are they trying to become better than you in the fastlane knowledge?
or are they sitting with you discussing about it?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Not until after a 30+ minute conversation about my life, my business, etc.

Most of my friends just started working jobs and are pretty content. They don't care.

12Nick12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Sep 12, 2015
Chicago
two out of how many?

it is great to hear that you managed to turn some people to the fastlane side! i did not have such a success.
and now what? are they asking you for being their mentor?
are they trying to become better than you in the fastlane knowledge?
or are they sitting with you discussing about it?

I've told at least 5 friends and at least 5 family members. The family members I told were typical slowlaners who live for the weekend and complain about their jobs constantly. The friends I told were all college students who regularly talk about wanting to start a business.

I don't necessarily mentor the two friends who read it because I still have a ton to learn, but I did help them avoid some of the mistakes I made after reading it. I really stressed avoiding reading all of the time and never taking action. Reading is great, but it shouldn't be the only thing you do. They both started by flipping on Craigslist and have now moved on to their own ventures.

To me, Fastlane isn't necessarily something you learn, it's more of a lifestyle/decision you make. So, no, they aren't trying to be better than me. We all collaborate with each other and try to solve the problems we run into together.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
I've only recommended it to people who have expressed interest in starting their own business or dreams for more. Otherwise they would probably take offence. Anyone who is slowlane I just leave to it. People see the work in different ways. As long as they're happy who cares how they make a living.

G

GuestUser450

Yep - and what I've learned is: Most people are exactly where they want to be - if their needs don't change neither will their standards.

You can try to persuade them but persuasion is getting someone to do something they already want to do - when you want them to do it. If they don't want it, you're wasting your time and fueling resentment.

To echo @AndrewNC: People are not what they say, feel or even think - they are what they do. So DO something. Change who you are and others will notice.

Chris Kelsey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
943%
Jun 5, 2016
San Francisco
I lent mine to two of my high school friends after I read it back in 2014. One read some of it and liked it, the other didn't read any of it and just gave it back after a week.

@getright is totally right, it really is something that you have to WANT to find.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I've told at least one of my closest friends and one of my family members to read TMF. As far as I know they haven't. I've asked people IRL if they've read it too.

Other times, in short, people I know IRL have stalked me online. That's the reason I changed my username and title of a thread. :watching::eek::wtf:

I'm still hoping I find some fastlane minded folk at the new university I'll be at soon since I didn't find any at my previous college.

If I meet said folk I'll most likely recommend TMF and other useful books to them. I have higher expectations at the new university. We'll see...

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
I really don't like talking about these things (fastlane, entrepreneurship, ideas) but still catch myself doing it when I'm really excited about things going on with my ventures.

I usually regret it.

I'm trying more and more not to share because it's always met with some piece of advice from someone who doesn't have much room to give any.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I rarely talk about work with my friends, so I've never felt the need to. If someone is interested in what I'm doing, then sure I will tell them. Otherwise why should I start telling them how to live their life if they're satisfied?

Fran_Montoya

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2016
You don't need anyones permission to be or not to be friends with someone, especially not the people themselves. To me this sounds like a clique. I sort of imagine a senario like the movie Mean Girls. Really though, you don't need to be friends with someone if you don't want to. Just stop hanging out with them. If they ask why just say "I don't really want to hang out with you anymore." They should have no control over you and if they try to control you and it becomes an issue, tell someone. Good luck.

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
Yeah its a funny world we live in. They seem to be pushing out cigarettes in favour of weed.
Take out the Union part and now you have all the high schoolers in my school.

I have dropped so many high school friends because all they talk about is weed.

Pitiful.

G

Guest34764

Yeah its a funny world we live in. They seem to be pushing out cigarettes in favour of weed.

I don't want to brag, but I honestly can't wait to go back to school with a big wad of cash.I'm gonna be the richest kid there.

I think I might prefer if people smoke cigarettes, you don't have to listen to them rave on about cigarettes, and they get darwin rewards!

Fatrys

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Jul 5, 2016
Paris, France

What's funny about it: I'm pretty sure everyone actually WANT to find a way to work less/earn more money and freedom.

However it's hard to change minds who typically follow the flock. "If everyone gets a job I think I would do that too". Most people want certainty, they want to have their paycheck every single month lest they might lose "control" over their life.

So basically if you tell them there's a way out, when they find out that it requires time (still less than an entire life devoted to a slowlane job...), sacrifice, not having a paycheck every month, not being like everyone else... they just prefer the status quo.

To answer the OP question:
No I didn't talked specificcaly about TMF but I mentioned TFLF (yet I think it is a prerequisite to read the book prior to joining TFLF). I just tell them how they will work until retirement for nothing but paying the bills plus a few extras. It turns out they're all OK "living" just the week-end, having 2 weeks vacation a year. So that is for my friends still studying like me.

I recently talk with one friend and exposed the Fastlane concept and...he understood it and acknowledged that with his job at the bank he will be a slowlaner (he is not a sidewalker and understands it's the worst thing of all). Yet I suppose he will just get back to work and forget that the Fastlane exists.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.