The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

NOTABLE! Has Moving to a Warm and Sunny Climate Made You Happier?

• nikita •

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2017
London
I've lived in the UK most of my life. I'm miserable most of the time, but only when it's cold. I think I have severe seasonal depression. On the rare July days that it's scorching hot and the sun comes out, you can tell the difference in everyone. People are actually smiling, are kinder to you, more optimistic. In my mind, all my problems are meaningless. I feel like how a person should feel. Unfortunately 99% of the time the weather in the UK is despicable. The word "hate" isn't strong enough. It's not just cold, it's character-less. The sky is completely white, like someone has placed the city on an endless sheet of paper.

Some people aren't affected by this. I was reading a study on how people from northern countries need less vitamin D to function well. I'm from southern Europe, where it can get up to 40 C. I'm definitely moving.

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
www.jasoncuellar.com
I've lived in the UK most of my life. I'm miserable most of the time, but only when it's cold. I think I have severe seasonal depression. On the rare July days that it's scorching hot and the sun comes out, you can tell the difference in everyone. People are actually smiling, are kinder to you, more optimistic. In my mind, all my problems are meaningless. I feel like how a person should feel. Unfortunately 99% of the time the weather in the UK is despicable. The word "hate" isn't strong enough. It's not just cold, it's character-less. The sky is completely white, like someone has placed the city on an endless sheet of paper.

Some people aren't affected by this. I was reading a study on how people from northern countries need less vitamin D to function well. I'm from southern Europe, where it can get up to 40 C. I'm definitely moving.
I’m sorrry to hear that!

Here in Texas, you get tired of the heat & humidity pretty fast. Lol

WJK

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 9, 2017
Nikiski, Alaska

Then move. Just remember that you have to take yourself with you. Your problems don't get left behind in the UK.

Personally, I would test the theory and land in the South very lightly. I have known a lot of people who move and then come back. It's the adage that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I know better. I believe that happiness is choice. I'm going to thrive wherever I land. If they drop ship me to the moon, I'll be the best rock-picker that they have.

Good luck!

• nikita •

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2017
London
Then move. Just remember that you have to take yourself with you. Your problems don't get left behind in the UK.

Personally, I would test the theory and land in the South very lightly. I have known a lot of people who move and then come back. It's the adage that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I know better. I believe that happiness is choice. I'm going to thrive wherever I land. If they drop ship me to the moon, I'll be the best rock-picker that they have.

Good luck!
100%. I used to believe moving would get rid of all my problems in the past (haha) but I know that’s not true.

I’m going to eventually move, I just know staying for the next few months is a smarter move, especially as I’m getting my business off the ground. Summer is coming anyway, so it’ll be relatively pleasant for a bit.

Since I got a remote job the weather issue has been affecting me less, as I don’t have to face the rain and heavy traffic. I like your mindset, I’m trying to be more optimistic too (or at least less of a pessimist).

WJK

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 9, 2017
Nikiski, Alaska
100%. I used to believe moving would get rid of all my problems in the past (haha) but I know that’s not true.

I’m going to eventually move, I just know staying for the next few months is a smarter move, especially as I’m getting my business off the ground. Summer is coming anyway, so it’ll be relatively pleasant for a bit.

Since I got a remote job the weather issue has been affecting me less, as I don’t have to face the rain and heavy traffic. I like your mindset, I’m trying to be more optimistic too (or at least less of a pessimist).
Mindset is a matter of survival. You can rewrite just about anything, using the same fact pattern. By adjusting your perspective, you can turn your worst failures into the materials and/or lessons necessary for your next success. No, I'm not a Pollyanna. I expect rejections, failures, and setbacks. Sometimes they really hurt. But, each is just another step. They are the cost of doing business -- not a disaster. When they happen, I remind myself that I learn a lot more from failures rather than successes. By looking at the situation piece by piece, I can look for the hidden treasures.

Sanj Modha

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 16, 2016

I hear you. I left the UK for Asia and never looked back.

Living in the sun and by the sea makes a MASSIVE difference to health.

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
I lived in Australia for nearly 3 years and moved back to Ireland then lived in the England for a few years and right now 5 years later, I am still missing the Australian sun. Winter time sucks a$$ here big time. I'm currently taking a 4 month course about online business and starting an online business soon. F*ck staying around for winter. Life is too short to be miserable.

Thomas Baptiste

Third of His Name
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
If you've read my introduction you'll know that I'm from the Commonwealth of Dominica, which is geographically in the dead center of the Lesser Antilles in the Caribbean. As someone who was born in and lived in a hot/tropical climate all his life I can testify to the following:
  1. It's hot everyday. Rainy and sunny days are hot. The cool temperatures only come in during the night. It's moderately cool, but nothing unbearably cold like the snowy or negative degree climates some here may face during the winter. However ,there are many parts of the island that are shielded from the hazards of the hot sun by the surrounded rain-forests. These parts enjoy micro-climates that are usually always chilly; you'll mostly find this in-land closer to the rain-forests, but seeing most of the population lives on the coasts it's always hot for us. Even if it's a hot climate you'll find that everyone uses air conditioning because it's so hot (even at night ). If you're looking to relocate, think it through; it's like trying to escape the cold by entering micro-pseudo-cold environments in an otherwise extra hot land.
  2. In any tropical/hot climate you'll find mosquitoes and other pests/nuisances. As an islander, I've become very efficient in dealing with many swarms of mosquitoes. They're an inevitable part of the tropical life but are easy to deal with when you learn how they behave and what they like/ don't like. Also be prepared to have your sunglasses on for the entire day. The glare from the sun here is especially harsh and heat is extra hot. You'll literally feel like you're frying up under the sun even if you're indoors! Even here we have our fair share of miserable people forever complaining and acting out because of the heat.
  3. Most importantly, the heat/cold hasn't affected my productivity, but everyone is different. I've been to very cold places and honestly I embrace the change from the constant heat when I get the chance. Every climate has its pros and cons, but I concentrate better in cold environments. My productivity goes up the lower the temperatures, though i believe everyone has an optimal temperature for productivity.

Thanks for reading, hope this helped.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 1, 2011
@momomaurice, where did you live in Australia?

Thank you for sharing your experience, @Thomas Baptiste. I've been to the tropics and other places during the extremely humid season and realized that for me personally, the best climate is arid or semi-arid. I can't stand high humidity and can't imagine dealing with it all year round. High temperatures don't bother me as long as it's dry heat.

Olimac21

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
I moved to Belo Horizonte, Brasil 2 months ago and for sure it made a difference, however after a few months you get used to it (having sun everyday, nice temperature).

I believe what happens is you get to some kind of hedonic adaptation during the process, nevertheless I know for sure if I go back to cold/cloudy weather I would struggle again.

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
@momomaurice, where did you live in Australia?

Thank you for sharing your experience, @Thomas Baptiste. I've been to the tropics and other places during the extremely humid season and realized that for me personally, the best climate is arid or semi-arid. I can't stand high humidity and can't imagine dealing with it all year round. High temperatures don't bother me as long as it's dry heat.
Hey, I lived in Perth. Great climate there. Winter time there was like an Irish summer.

Reactions: MTF

AlessioLC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 19, 2017
France
Tbh, Sun is making more happier, i'm way better when it's sunny and warm outside. However i can't stand the heat too long, i just love the feeling of the sun and the vitamin i'm getting from it.

But the heat all day long is unbearable.
I guess i need to go live in Italy ;)

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 1, 2011
Hey, I lived in Perth. Great climate there. Winter time there was like an Irish summer.
How about summers? I saw that temperatures are very high, but is it dry or humid heat?

ygtrhos

Contributor
Dec 27, 2016
I am from Turkey, from Ankara. Winters with heavy snow and summers burning above 40 degrees.

I have moved to Germany about 8 years ago and for the last 6 years, I had winter blues. I was always prone to depression but I believe the weather has a huge effect on me.

Besides, there is nothing more exciting than riding motorbike under sunny weather!

Vanderbilt

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
I live in SE Asia now and its just WOW.

The weather (there's no winter), the people and of course the food!

Great beaches, world class healthcare and SO much fun. I couldn't have picked a better place to live
what country/city do you live in or recommend?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 1, 2011
I live in SE Asia now and its just WOW.

The weather (there's no winter), the people and of course the food!

Great beaches, world class healthcare and SO much fun. I couldn't have picked a better place to live
That's funny. I met many people who love SE Asia and very, very few who dislike it like I do. I just don't see its allure.

Hate the local cuisine, don't appreciate the way foreigners are usually perceived there (impossible to blend in), don't feel safe and comfortable (the infrastructure of the third world + a general lack of safety standards; people just don't care) and don't like the weather that much (way too humid). Prices might be low, but they aren't that low, and the quality is often much worse than what you can get in a more developed country in a different part of the world.

Vanderbilt

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
That's funny. I met many people who love SE Asia and very, very few who dislike it like I do. I just don't see its allure.

Hate the local cuisine, don't appreciate the way foreigners are usually perceived there (impossible to blend in), don't feel safe and comfortable (the infrastructure of the third world + a general lack of safety standards; people just don't care) and don't like the weather that much (way too humid). Prices might be low, but they aren't that low, and the quality is often much worse than what you can get in a more developed country in a different part of the world.
hey where are u right now, did u find somethhing appealing? :

• nikita •

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2017
London
I think the Canary Islands are a great candidate for a perfect place to live. Hot year round, no rainy reason, it's still Europe so high standards of living, and they speak Spanish (easy and common language). If i move, I'll probably move there.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL

Going off of your points, I just wanted to throw in a quick overview for anyone that's interested in Southeast Asia.

Cuisine:
  • Vietnam - there's like four dishes that I like. The rest I don't care for.
  • Thailand - not a big fan, a lot of Americans love it ... I can't see what they're into
  • Philippines - horrible. Other than barbecue, the local food is really bad.
  • Cambodia/Laos - don't care for it
  • Indonesia - Food is amazing. Some of the best in the world. Great mix between spice and taste
Blending in
  • Vietnam - Easier to blend in. Most Vietnamese have a "communist" attitude to them and ignore you.
  • Thailand - you're a tourist target most of the time
  • Philippines - depends where you are, but usually you're a target
  • Indonesia - you stand out, but not in a bad way
  • Bali - Maybe someone else can comment
Safety
  • Look up the stats on any of these countries. I'm from Chicago. Statistically, southeast Asia is a lot safer than Chicago; even Manila where every security guard has a shotgun, is safer than Chicago
Comfort
  • Where are you living in these third world countries?
  • There are parts of Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh, Jakarta, and even Manila where only the rich people live, and your quality of life is 10x better than back home.
Weather
  • Humidity sucks.
Prices
  • A lot cheaper than the U.S., but you end up spending more after partying/exploring

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 28, 2014
Flanders, Belgium
Going off of your points, I just wanted to throw in a quick overview for anyone that's interested in Southeast Asia.

Cuisine:
  • Thailand - not a big fan, a lot of Americans love it ... I can't see what they're into
  • Indonesia - Food is amazing. Some of the best in the world. Great mix between spice and taste
Blending in
  • Vietnam - Easier to blend in. Most Vietnamese have a "communist" attitude to them and ignore you.
Safety
  • Look up the stats on any of these countries. I'm from Chicago. Statistically, southeast Asia is a lot safer than Chicago; even Manila where every security guard has a shotgun, is safer than Chicago
Comfort
  • There are parts of Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh, Jakarta, and even Manila where only the rich people live, and your quality of life is 10x better than back home.
Weather
  • Humidity sucks.
Prices
  • A lot cheaper than the U.S., but you end up spending more after partying/exploring
Great write-up man. Curious if you could do this with your favorite destinations.

Sanj Modha

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 16, 2016

I live in Singapore which is amazing and I have friends in Thailand, Malayasia and Bali too.

I'm a foreigner and its fine. I also meet with expats and they tell me the same - Singapore isn't even that expensive compared to the rest of the world.

I'm from London and its cheaper here. I also know an Israeli girl who told me the supermarkets in Israel are much more expensive vs Singapore.

Sanj Modha

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 16, 2016

Cuisine:
Blending in
Safety
Comfort
Weather
  • Humidity sucks.
Prices
Bali is one of my favourite destinations in the world: great people, food, beaches and weather. Lots to see and do too (We met Jean Claude Van Damme at the elephant sanctuary!).

We go at least 2/3 times a year since its a short flight from Singapore.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 1, 2011
hey where are u right now, did u find somethhing appealing? :
Back home, somewhere in Europe :) The weather here is okay during the spring and summer (particularly the last few years), it's just that it's not really that great nature-wise as I don't live near the coast or by the mountains and don't have any real wilderness close by (but to be clear, there's little real wilderness anywhere in Europe).

I think the Canary Islands are a great candidate for a perfect place to live. Hot year round, no rainy reason, it's still Europe so high standards of living, and they speak Spanish (easy and common language). If i move, I'll probably move there.
Yeah, they're a pretty good place and for me personally, it's great that they speak Spanish as I enjoy this language a lot, plus love the Spanish/Latin culture and genuine warmth of the people.

I'd say that Canary Islands are warm year round, but not exactly hot - which is both good and bad. Summers aren't as crazy hot as for example SE Asia where humidity is unbearable. Winters in certain places in the Canary Islands can be chilly, particularly if your place doesn't have heating. I have a friend who lives on Tenerife and she needs to wear a sweater and a scarf indoors during winter.

But yeah, overall, particularly for a person from Europe, Canary Islands are probably one of the best choices. It's one of the most likely candidates for a second home for me.

Safety
Comfort
When I referred to safety and comfort I meant a general feeling which is highly subjective.

Some people don't mind dirty, loud, crowded, and polluted big cities and don't mind being harassed like in some of the countries you described. I'm not a fan of that. For me, it doesn't matter where exactly you live in these cities because you're still exposed to air pollution, a lot of noise, crowds, etc. I spent a week or so in Bangkok in a nice neighborhood but it didn't really matter for me personally as Bangkok is a concrete jungle without any tranquil places to escape to (even Lumphini Park was crowded with people).

I don't feel comfortable in a place with a lot of beggars and/or homeless people and with unsafe or "creative" infrastructure. I refer to stuff like cracked sidewalks (if at all), the risk of falling into a manhole when walking an unlit street, horribly designed streets and junctions that are a death trap for pedestrians, etc.

A friend recently spent almost three weeks in Thailand and his general perception of safety was the same.

But just to reiterate: to each his own, and I by no means think that this part of the world is inferior or people who enjoy it are in the wrong. It's just my highly subjective opinion.

I understand why certain people would enjoy it there. I myself prefer a different vibe, and no, it's not just about the level of economic development, though I generally do feel better in a wealthy country, ideally with no visible disparities like in the US.

There's no safety issues either. Not sure where that's come from and I've travelled the entire region.
I mostly referred to other, poorer SE Asia countries. As for what I mean by safety, look above (this doesn't apply to Singapore, though).

I've been to Singapore and didn't enjoy it. I mean, it was fine, but nothing spectacular. I was glad I was there only for a stopover. I expected a futuristic country and in a lot of places I couldn't even pay with my card which was unbelievable for a place that claims to be so developed.

I liked how green it was and loved the nature reserves around the city. Couldn't imagine living in such a small place long-term, though.

Bali is one of my favourite destinations in the world: great people, food, beaches and weather. Lots to see and do too (We met Jean Claude Van Damme at the elephant sanctuary!).

We go at least 2/3 times a year since its a short flight from Singapore.
Did you read this thread?

AMA: Sold Everything - Moved to Bali

Curious what you think about Dennis' observations.

Sanj Modha

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 16, 2016
Back home, somewhere in Europe :) The weather here is okay during the spring and summer (particularly the last few years), it's just that it's not really that great nature-wise as I don't live near the coast or by the mountains and don't have any real wilderness close by (but to be clear, there's little real wilderness anywhere in Europe).

Yeah, they're a pretty good place and for me personally, it's great that they speak Spanish as I enjoy this language a lot, plus love the Spanish/Latin culture and genuine warmth of the people.

I'd say that Canary Islands are warm year round, but not exactly hot - which is both good and bad. Summers aren't as crazy hot as for example SE Asia where humidity is unbearable. Winters in certain places in the Canary Islands can be chilly, particularly if your place doesn't have heating. I have a friend who lives on Tenerife and she needs to wear a sweater and a scarf indoors during winter.

But yeah, overall, particularly for a person from Europe, Canary Islands are probably one of the best choices. It's one of the most likely candidates for a second home for me.

When I referred to safety and comfort I meant a general feeling which is highly subjective.

Some people don't mind dirty, loud, crowded, and polluted big cities and don't mind being harassed like in some of the countries you described. I'm not a fan of that. For me, it doesn't matter where exactly you live in these cities because you're still exposed to air pollution, a lot of noise, crowds, etc. I spent a week or so in Bangkok in a nice neighborhood but it didn't really matter for me personally as Bangkok is a concrete jungle without any tranquil places to escape to (even Lumphini Park was crowded with people).

I don't feel comfortable in a place with a lot of beggars and/or homeless people and with unsafe or "creative" infrastructure. I refer to stuff like cracked sidewalks (if at all), the risk of falling into a manhole when walking an unlit street, horribly designed streets and junctions that are a death trap for pedestrians, etc.

A friend recently spent almost three weeks in Thailand and his general perception of safety was the same.

But just to reiterate: to each his own, and I by no means think that this part of the world is inferior or people who enjoy it are in the wrong. It's just my highly subjective opinion.

I understand why certain people would enjoy it there. I myself prefer a different vibe, and no, it's not just about the level of economic development, though I generally do feel better in a wealthy country, ideally with no visible disparities like in the US.

I mostly referred to other, poorer SE Asia countries. As for what I mean by safety, look above (this doesn't apply to Singapore, though).

I've been to Singapore and didn't enjoy it. I mean, it was fine, but nothing spectacular. I was glad I was there only for a stopover. I expected a futuristic country and in a lot of places I couldn't even pay with my card which was unbelievable for a place that claims to be so developed.

I liked how green it was and loved the nature reserves around the city. Couldn't imagine living in such a small place long-term, though.

Did you read this thread?

AMA: Sold Everything - Moved to Bali

Curious what you think about Dennis' observations.
Every country has safety issues but I'll be 100% honest - I've never felt unsafe in SE Asia. People are curious and the middle classes are growing exponentially (the fastest growing cities/highest GDP countries are all coming from Asia).

I don't even use a card in Singapore: its either GrabPay, Apple Pay or AliPay. I pay friends with PayNow (I only need their phone number) so I rarely use cash.

I'm not sure if its 'futuristic' but its definitely modern. The UK feels like a developing nation to me now - everything is harder and the Internet is slower when I go back.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Post thread…

Search the Forum

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom