The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Has anyone here successfully "funded" their ideal lifestyle?

startuprob

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Feb 16, 2014
It's a topic that had consumed me for a really long time and, in my personal experience, it's never as easy as the books make it seem.

I'm really curious to know if anyone here has successfully done it. (similar to the four hour workweek, smart passive income, etc.)

I've funded mine, but I took a very different route than those books talk about.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Yeah, I do a 4 hour work week, and do my startup stuff.
I play it with bumpers though (like in bowling) because some months I hit a gutter ball etc.
I use high leverage (high paying for my time). And make sure to find the best places in the cities I live in and usually find an awesome deal.
The bumpers I mentioned, is I provide free services to a few different places on the provision that they lend or pay me cash when needed (its a more casual arrangement, because a more structured deal makes the relationship more finicky when I need it stable).

I have three income streams, so that if certain ones go down I can go to other things that have a similar set up.
I can live anywhere and have my time to work on things and have done this for several years whilst workin on biz.

Its NOWHERE near as hard as people make it sound. They make it sound mythical.
In my experience it is underwhelming. It is better than working a 9-5 though.
Just lower your overhead and focus on high returns.

Its just business on super super super low. I know we all think that being lazy sounds great, but tbh, I can't be lazy with it, I actually utilise the strategy to master patience, discipline and so on.

You eventually grow too big for it though I feel. Why just work 4 hours every week, when you can work a couple weeks a year/quarter and spend the rest of your time assessing things and doing more enjoyable biz stuff? I find that PUNCHIER strategy more satisfying than the flea biting at your #ss strategy of a set amount of hours a week.
Getting better at biz mindsets is what REALLY calms the anxiety, that and facing your fears. Once you feel the wind at your back, boy does that feel like, an oasis in the desert.

60-120 dollar an hour, about 10-16 hours a month
most people have too high of overheads for that, but when I go to more expensive cities I use arbitrage and currencies to my advantage.
So really I'm flexible for countries and expenses, and just don't spend stupidly like most people do.
(shrugs)

My mentor used to say to me "you live the millionaire lifestyle already", and I was like "what are you talking about", because even though he travels light and does a lot of stuff similar to me, there is a mental gap that is really important to fix before you lose that poor me mindset.
I'm interested really to hear what others say, because whilst I can sustain lifestyles etc, I haven't optimised to what absolutely makes me most satisfied, and thats what I look for.

Last edited:

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK

startuprob

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Feb 16, 2014
Thanks for the feedback. Psychological barriers really were part of my problem when I started up as well. Once you're able to think in the right way about things, everything else seems to come so much easier.

@cautiouscapy - I recommend checking out some of the stuff that Ramit Sethi (iwillteachyoutoberich.com) says about psychological barriers. (I think he calls them something else like "inner scripts" or something)

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
So RogueInnovation...just curious...are you a Millionaire or have you been?

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
YES! He is a millionaire and spending time in the Fastlane Forum from his private villa on some island in Pacific Ocean!

Sarcasm
dude there are people here doing that... idk if that's what rouge is doing but Id watch the sarcasm until you been here longer :p

nikiobicata

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 7, 2013
dude there are people here doing that... idk if that's what rouge is doing but Id watch the sarcasm until you been here longer :p
You can believe in whatever you want dude (dudes) :) Just ask yourself this question: If I'm a millionaire did i will be here replying to someone??? Or i will be on my vacation and enjoying life!

Peace

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
You can believe in whatever you want dude (dudes) :) Just ask yourself this question: If I'm a millionaire did i will be here replying to someone??? Or i will be on my vacation and enjoying life!
Peace

If you think being a millionaire keeps someone from being friendly and involved in a forum...you have a long way to go.

You are aware that MJ is around here commenting all the time right? And Zen, and JackEdwards?? And a dozen other forum members I don't know well enough. Step back from the keyboard and read a few posts before you make a fool of yourself.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If I'm a millionaire did i will be here replying to someone???

I guess you'll be too cool to be here once you become a millionaire eh? God, WTF was I thinking all these years? Wasting all this time posting on a forum, belittling my multimillionaire status. Can't believe it took me 12 years to be enlightened. Hopefully the other millionaires here won't realize their mistake either.

I'm really curious to know if anyone here has successfully done it.

Have you read TMF ?

While the "YOU" in the business equation is important, the market doesn't give a shit. This is why the idea of a MUSE, lifestyle design, etc is a bunch of self-loving garbage marketed to appease the selfish entrepreneur, which in itself, is a misnomer. Value creation is market centered, not self-centered. People fail in business because they haven't learned to get themselves out of the way. And yes, my lifestyle is fully funded. I never have to work another day in my life which should qualify my opinion as somewhat valid.

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Let's not get worked up over this topic.

I hang out here for a couple of reasons. One is that I make some acquaintances that invest in some of my deals. Primarily though, I have made some great friendships with people that think like me. It is difficult to find people with the same mindset. Our conversations in here are different than any that I have with friends outside of this forum.

rkmalo1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 14, 2012
Chicago
If I'm a millionaire did i will be here replying to someone???

Umm.....I can think of 6 members off the top of my head (there are probably many more!) that are def millionaires that post and help others here almost everyday.

Such a dumb statement.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
it doesn't matter what anyone says, don't you know
"The Internet, where men are kids, women are men, and kids are undercover FBI agents."
Anonymous

LOL its true in most cases but not all... its good to be skeptical but at least do research before sticking ones foot in ones mouth...

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok

Peace
When life is a vacation you have time for both.

Takers get less than they're after and givers receive more

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
No one will help you with that :) Every one looking for "idea" ... I'm like you :) I was reading a lot forums and i try 100 things but still no money :) So for now i'm stuck on my daily job

D

DeletedUser2

I guess you'll be too cool to be here once you become a millionaire eh? God, WTF was I thinking all these years? Wasting all this time posting on a forum, belittling my multimillionaire status. Can't believe it took me 12 years to be enlightened. Hopefully the other millionaires here won't realize their mistake either.

HOLY SHIT! MJ! you have Enlightened me! I wont waste 12 yrs here helping out, and commenting any more! out outta here! whoooo free at last from the confines of a forum!!! whooo hooo. party tonight!

Z

jpa0827

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Feb 13, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I was hoping @zen******* would comment on this thread. Don't leave us Z. We still have a lot of sock pictures we want you to post. Oh yeah.... your advice isn't too bad either ;)

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
'I don't take anything at face value, except what I take at face value.' - One of my friends, describing skepticism without research.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
Tis better to be a black sheep living on your own terms than a white sheep on the way to the slaughterhouse.
Amen!
I wanted to post along the lines of this but couldn't figure out how to word it... :p

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Ignore nio-bot-ica, we all know the score :p:cookoo::tiphat:
Anyone got any views on how to get it "just right" for you?

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
HOLY SHIT! MJ! you have Enlightened me! I wont waste 12 yrs here helping out, and commenting any more! out outta here! whoooo free at last from the confines of a forum!!! whooo hooo. party tonight!

Well shit ... there goes my free ride!

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
@nikiobicata Lol... wow... I'm just gonna assume you're one big giant forum troll, because no one would be so stupid as to come to this forum (of all forums) and make statements such as yours.

Today's lesson;
Never mind forum trolls on your fastlane journey:
eHSj02k.jpg

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
If you care to share, I'd LOVE some hints, author names, websites and podcast titles on this one please...it's an area in which I've recently been wondering how to up my game - apart from listening to these podcasts:

Its like riding a bike, when you are really slow you struggle keeping it balanced and the handlebars have a mind of their own. 4 hours of wrestling a stupid bike a week is much more irritating than riding the bike at sufficient speed for however long you want.

To get the bike up to speed you have to cross from perfectionism into making it happen.
I partially crossed that over a series of months after icecreamkid's thread, which just pushed me to do everything I could until I had no other choice but to stomach MOST of my avoidance tendencies.
So it is the real world that you really change that mindset, not podcasts (unfortunately).
You can read a hundred ways to ride a bike, but eventually you gotta face your fears and pedal.

Its ironic, but, you don't NEED a lot of big ideas, you just need to focus on some quality ones, once the bike is rolling. And those few ideas keep you steady and keep you refining your process.

ZenD only posts a few things, same with Vig and MJ, and its because they ride that business bicycle well, and all that is on their mind is gracefulness, "i don't care buddy", and a few key ideas that are graceful.

MJs book, is kind of like, the subconscious of business (I feel), in that, he doesn't use it consciously because its easier than that to HIM. He uses it to tell you how to hold the bike straight and leaves it up to you to pedal.

Now as newbies, we don't want to pedal, we want to reinvent how to hold the bike up. And it is a massive waste of our time. They know it, and so its a massive waste of THEIR time going over it a lot.

The key is to give, rather than retreat. To let go, rather than fear. To not worry too much about the how, but focus on how it should feel and what you should be/could be doing better. To not dive into "easy to read, but too vague to execute on" articles, to instead focus on one diagram, one concept, one guide and off the side construct what you need to do step by step, and then think on how you will do it.

Mindset in this instance is about genuinely facing your hesitations, until the above starts to change in you. And after it does, you can kinda ride ok and it feels better than a 4 hour work week, and it certainly feels better than walking everywhere!!!

I am still crashing into bushes and stuff though, so ahead of that skill is lay of the land and mastering the whole bike thing, figuring out the breaks, and all that stuff.

edit:
action steps is like pedaling too, because each step is harder at first and leads to easier and more frequent steps, until you can coast. And at the very start you need to push yourself forwards with faith so you don't get tangled in the starting process.
When you can and will do that is when you get the mindset.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.