Has anyone here had any success executing an idea that was gimmicky or trended temporarily? Think fidget spinners.
A friend recently bought a few bottle opener/cap guns for his house. They open glass bottles and allow you to shoot the cap afterwards. He then brought up the idea of creating a drink koozie that was capable of launching cans once the can was empty. It would be called "The Mortar". Interesting little idea, but very gimmicky and I can't really see it selling for a long time.
I have some mechanism ideas designed and thought about building a prototype. It would be cool just to have one for myself or my friend. If the prototype worked successfully, I would maybe look into designing it for manufacturability and start sourcing vendors that had the tooling capability to create this koozie design.
I'm not sure what a minimum order quantity for a product like this would be, but if you got a website like Barstool to promote it in a post, I'm sure you could land quite a few sales from the drinking crowd.
I wonder if it's worth going through all the trouble of design and sourcing a manufacturer. I'm curious how companies that create and sell these gimmicky ideas, like a bottle cap gun that you would find at the liquor store counter, go through the product design, manufacture, and sales cycle.
Does anyone have any insight into products like this or have experience designing and selling items that trend only temporarily?
A friend recently bought a few bottle opener/cap guns for his house. They open glass bottles and allow you to shoot the cap afterwards. He then brought up the idea of creating a drink koozie that was capable of launching cans once the can was empty. It would be called "The Mortar". Interesting little idea, but very gimmicky and I can't really see it selling for a long time.
I have some mechanism ideas designed and thought about building a prototype. It would be cool just to have one for myself or my friend. If the prototype worked successfully, I would maybe look into designing it for manufacturability and start sourcing vendors that had the tooling capability to create this koozie design.
I'm not sure what a minimum order quantity for a product like this would be, but if you got a website like Barstool to promote it in a post, I'm sure you could land quite a few sales from the drinking crowd.
I wonder if it's worth going through all the trouble of design and sourcing a manufacturer. I'm curious how companies that create and sell these gimmicky ideas, like a bottle cap gun that you would find at the liquor store counter, go through the product design, manufacture, and sales cycle.
Does anyone have any insight into products like this or have experience designing and selling items that trend only temporarily?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
