The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Has Amazon become a monopoly?

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
When is the last time you contacted their customer support?
Their customer service is absolutely INCREDIBLE.

They will call you within seconds if you ask, or they will handle your issue INSTANTLY via chat.
They will always offer to credit you money back or Amazon gift card, whichever you prefer.

Their customer service is phenomenal- I truly believe their policy is to give the customer whatever they ask for- and make it go away as fast as humanly possible.

I order from Amazon 2-3 times a day. Smh
I am swearing it off for the next 90 days. I will not order from amazon!!!

I've only had a shitty experience on email when the seller sent the wrong item but I'm not loyal to Amazon so its not a big deal for me.

For me, Amazon is a commodity not a brand. If I can buy it cheaper on Wal-mart, Target, Best Buy etc - I will and I can usually find products cheaper outside of Amazon with cash back offers on top.

I'm telling most people to get off Amazon ASAP. Start building your own business instead of building Jeff Bezos' because they want to cannibalize FBA sellers anyway. The game is up and I'm glad I left when I did.

At this moment in time, I'm choosing to support the smaller brands and businesses with my purchases through FB ads. Lately, I've bought quite a few things and the service, packaging, entire experience was better than I'll ever get on Amazon.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NVious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 12, 2015
Because he doesn't have 5-10 billion dollars in liquid cash. Its tied up in stock and the board/market wouldn't let him sell that much anyway. Amazon stock would crash if he did.

Why would he need liquid cash, he couldn't get that money?

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Why would he need liquid cash, he couldn't get that money?

Being worth X amount and having X amount in your bank account are two different things.

Bezos' wealth is tied to his Amazon stock. He might be worth $100bn (or whatever) but that's not what he has in accessible cash.

He's still super rich though...

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Big companies, Amazon included, are too big, too slow and too much bureaucracy to invent something. They can only buy someone smaller or copy.

The Chinese manufacturer that I used to import from and sell on Amazon once messaged me asking:

"Hey, can you help me learn about selling straight on Amazon?"

And sooner or later he will do it, with or without your help. If he wants. Whether he is successful or not, is a completely different story.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Their customer service is absolutely INCREDIBLE.

LOL. For customers, not for sellers.

On the seller side, it absolutely sucks, unless you like talking to people who can't speak English and are trained not to solve a problem, but to cite policy or read off a pre-canned corporate script. Amazon is a typical "smoke and mirror" operation -- treat customers like gold, treat your employees and sellers like dogshit. (The beauty of the consumer side is what makes them a productocracy, not the ugliness underneath the operation)

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

On the seller side, it absolutely sucks, unless you like talking to people who can't speak English and are trained not to solve a problem, but to cite policy or read off a pre-canned corporate script. Amazon is a typical "smoke and mirror" operation -- treat customers like gold, treat your employees and sellers like dogshit. (The beauty of the consumer side is what makes them a productocracy, not the ugliness underneath the operation)
Email some journalists. I guarantee there are some libtard anti-corperate journalists that would love that type of INSIDERS experience. It might eventually do something to expose them and fix up their seller-side customer service.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
It's difficult with business models like Amazon's, cause I don't believe that something should be broken up simply because it's "too big".

On one hand, they encourage competition and small business growth by using almost exclusively 3rd party sellers.

On the other, they use that market data to enter the market themselves and run these same businesses out of business.

Beardbrand recently pulled out of Amazon and saw 58% revenue growth that year. They're absolutely killing it, and I think a lot of brands will do the same once they realize Amazon's goals don't align with they're own.

Amazon is the great commoditizer for the 21st century.

Huggies is shaking in their booties, BeardBrand not so much.

But there's one thing Amazon will never be able to copy.....

And that's good branding, with loyal customers.

NVious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 12, 2015
Being worth X amount and having X amount in your bank account are two different things.

Bezos' wealth is tied to his Amazon stock. He might be worth $100bn (or whatever) but that's not what he has in accessible cash.

He's still super rich though...

Again, why does he need cash? Credit.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed

Seller Central is savage - its almost like they DON'T want efficient merchants selling millions of units.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bezos called to testify before Congress...
(Which actually means absolutely nothing because Congressional hearings have become nothing but dog-and-pony shows, Kubuki theater to give the illusion that are elected leaders are actually doing something... to which point, nothing will happen except we can expect a few propaganda pieces from the Washington Post about the altruism of Bezos and Skynet, er, I meant, Amazon)

Mbc

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 22, 2013
Montreal
Bezos called to testify before Congress...
(Which actually means absolutely nothing because Congressional hearings have become nothing but dog-and-pony shows, Kubuki theater to give the illusion that are elected leaders are actually doing something... to which point, nothing will happen except we can expect a few propaganda pieces from the Washington Post about the altruism of Bezos and Skynet, er, I meant, Amazon)

I think that added to the AMZN selloff today. You're probably right that nothing comes of this. Most of these politicians barely understand the internet anyway.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
I've only had a shitty experience on email when the seller sent the wrong item but I'm not loyal to Amazon so its not a big deal for me.

For me, Amazon is a commodity not a brand. If I can buy it cheaper on Wal-mart, Target, Best Buy etc - I will and I can usually find products cheaper outside of Amazon with cash back offers on top.

I'm telling most people to get off Amazon ASAP. Start building your own business instead of building Jeff Bezos' because they want to cannibalize FBA sellers anyway. The game is up and I'm glad I left when I did.

At this moment in time, I'm choosing to support the smaller brands and businesses with my purchases through FB ads. Lately, I've bought quite a few things and the service, packaging, entire experience was better than I'll ever get on Amazon.
Man I'm sorry but I think you're biased, honestly I've never had a bad experience with amazon over hundreds of orders.
On the other side I've always had problems with fb ads buying etc.., last thing I bought was a gift for my gf, it didn't arrive as promised(before coronavirus), didn't look as on picture and they never answered an email.

That's why if I see an ad on fb now I check on amazon first, if the same company is selling there even for slightly more I'll buy there because of costumer service.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Man I'm sorry but I think you're biased, honestly I've never had a bad experience with amazon over hundreds of orders.
On the other side I've always had problems with fb ads buying etc.., last thing I bought was a gift for my gf, it didn't arrive as promised(before coronavirus), didn't look as on picture and they never answered an email.

That's why if I see an ad on fb now I check on amazon first, if the same company is selling there even for slightly more I'll buy there because of costumer service.
Unfortunately he’s right.

I’ve called Amazon the “great commoditizer” for a reason. They allow millions of small businesses to have a channel yet turn around and run them out of business with AmazonBasics.

Amazon as a brand is very shallow right now. Meaning they reach far and wide but have little brand loyalty.

Outside of the tech world, the Amazon brand holds about as much weight as WalMart.

Not that that’s a bad thing for Amazon, but it’s a value skew for us little fish.

D

DeletedUser0287

They playing the volume game mostly. Not too concerned as long as your products have high magnitude, which Amazon does not do at all it seems.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Unfortunately he’s right.

I’ve called Amazon the “great commoditizer” for a reason. They allow millions of small businesses to have a channel yet turn around and run them out of business with AmazonBasics.

Amazon as a brand is very shallow right now. Meaning they reach far and wide but have little brand loyalty.

Outside of the tech world, the Amazon brand holds about as much weight as WalMart.

Not that that’s a bad thing for Amazon, but it’s a value skew for us little fish.

In my opinion, Amazon doesn't give a flying F about third party sellers or anyone else for that matter. Here's why:

1 - As MJ pointed out, they're cannabilizing their own sellers by using seller's data to launch competing products.

2 - They're leasing planes so they don't need to rely on Fedex, UPS, DHL etc.

3 - They're using drones and other types of robots to complete 'last mile' deliveries.

4 - They've made Seller Central as difficult as possible. If you wanted more sellers, shifting more units - you'd make it as EASY as possible to use.

5 - My suppliers in China told me Amazon is opening it's own factories in collaboration with Chinese vendors. They want to control the entire supply chain.

6 - FBA pricing goes up every year.

7 - Working for Amazon in their fulfilment centers sucks. I know a guy who did it for 3 years and hated every moment. I've been a center in the UK and all the staff looked miserable.

I was selling on Amazon about 5 years back and I'm glad I left. Going solo with my own stores and controlling my own destiny is the best decision I've ever made.

Last edited:

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed

If you buy from shitty dropshipping stores - it will be a shitty experience.

If you do your homework on the store: check their ads, the social content, read reviews on Trustpilot etc its only a great experience.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
In my opinion, Amazon doesn't give a flying F about third party sellers or anyone else for that matter. Here's why:

1 - As MJ pointed, they're cannabilizing their own sellers by using seller's data to launch competing products.

2 - They're leasing planes so they don't need to rely on Fedex, UPS, DHL etc.

3 - They're using drones and other types of robots to complete 'last mile' deliveries.

4 - They've made Seller Central as difficult as possible. If you wanted more sellers, shifting more units - you'd make it as EASY as possible to use.

5 - My suppliers in China told me Amazon is opening it's own factories in collaboration with Chinese vendors. They want to control the entire supply chain.

6 - FBA pricing goes up every year.

7 - Working for Amazon in their fulfilment centers sucks. I know a guy who did it for 3 years and hated every moment. I've been a center in the UK and all the staff looked miserable.

I was selling on Amazon about 5 years back and I'm glad I left. Going solo with my own stores and controlling my own destiny is the best decision I've ever made.
Damn. I’m getting flashbacks of Carnegie and standard oil from history class.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Damn. I’m getting flashbacks of Carnegie and standard oil from history class.

Yep, and breaking up Amazon won't make any difference. They'll get even bigger just like Standard Oil did.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
IMO, the company is getting too big, too powerful, and too disruptive to whatever industry it enters. At this point, we don't even know what industry Amazon is within anymore as their interests are all over the place.

Just to give you an example, Audible (Amazon owned) recently changed their payment policy for their audiobook bounties. The cleverly worded the change in an email that actually made the change sound GOOD. But when you examined it closer, it was absolutely terrible and a total MONEY GRAB. This one simple change will cost me thousands of dollars per month -- and my say in the matter is NIL. Amazon has the exclusive on all my audiobooks. (Commandment of Control anyone?!?).

Anyhow, if Amazon's ruthlessness continues unchecked, there might come a day when 90% of your consumer goods, from food to healthcare to clothing to shoes -- is all bought at Amazon. And at prices that are punitive.

It's some scary shit and the chatter is starting to get louder. (I started sounding the "monopoly" alarm a few years ago)

Amazon 'terrifies me as a company,' says a valuation professor

View attachment 20372
What are you thoughts?
IMO, the company is getting too big, too powerful, and too disruptive to whatever industry it enters. At this point, we don't even know what industry Amazon is within anymore as their interests are all over the place.

Just to give you an example, Audible (Amazon owned) recently changed their payment policy for their audiobook bounties. The cleverly worded the change in an email that actually made the change sound GOOD. But when you examined it closer, it was absolutely terrible and a total MONEY GRAB. This one simple change will cost me thousands of dollars per month -- and my say in the matter is NIL. Amazon has the exclusive on all my audiobooks. (Commandment of Control anyone?!?).

Anyhow, if Amazon's ruthlessness continues unchecked, there might come a day when 90% of your consumer goods, from food to healthcare to clothing to shoes -- is all bought at Amazon. And at prices that are punitive.

It's some scary shit and the chatter is starting to get louder. (I started sounding the "monopoly" alarm a few years ago)

Amazon 'terrifies me as a company,' says a valuation professor

View attachment 20372
What are you thoughts?
They are not forcing anyone to use their services. Microsoft kicked them in the privates on the cloud business for the government and if they keep screwing people like you and all the Amazon "partners" they will create a massive hole in the market. This pandemic really screwed people who sell "non essential" items on Amazon by delaying the shipment of their orders for over a MONTH or longer! Also I am a Prime member and I pay $120.00 year for that. I believe it's a great value, BUT I pay for it because I want the 2 day shipping they were guarantying! I am no longer getting that and that's not cool. Also I am now buying all my "non essentials" elsewhere (Sam's, Walmart and eBay etc) because they ship much faster than Amazon does now. Have you seen Walmart's stock lately? So what do you think all the people selling non essentials on Amazon are doing now? They are looking for other venues and going elsewhere. And yes as you rightly point out they violated the C in CENTS but this will be a wake up call to get their business off that platform. They are no longer the only game in town. I am striving to make my business fit your CENTS model as you are truly NEVER free as long as someone else can pull the rug out from under you. Here's to FU money. All the best to you MJ. Thanks

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
Yep, and breaking up Amazon won't make any difference. They'll get even bigger just like Standard Oil did.
Amazon? Look at Google! Now "Alphabet". It's like splitting a worm it just becomes two worms. LOL

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
If you buy from shitty dropshipping stores - it will be a shitty experience.

If you do your homework on the store: check their ads, the social content, read reviews on Trustpilot etc its only a great experience.
or instead of checking all that I can look on amazon in 5 seconds and find the same thing with some reviews, if anything goes wrong I know I'll get my money back or whatever, + it's not like they'll tell you they dropship.

I think it's just point of view same as going to walmart or your local small shop argument.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
Here in Italy I can confirm they treat employees bad but most are satisfied because they have no other option... so idk between bringing food on the table for your family and your "rights" sometimes eating means more.
I hope amazon changes their behaviour but until then the only ones who'll protest/sabotage are those who have a plan B, it's literally the worst time to get fired.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
There's a great Business Wars podcast episode on Amazon vs Wal-Mart.

Bezos gets stick (and rightly so for their current practises) but people forget to acknowledge that he created Amazon at a time when Wal-Mart was dominating US retail and took them head on.

There's nothing stopping a new company or idea from disrupting Amazon now.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
There's a great Business Wars podcast episode on Amazon vs Wal-Mart.

Bezos gets stick (and rightly so for their current practises) but people forget to acknowledge that he created Amazon at a time when Wal-Mart was dominating US retail and took them head on.

There's nothing stopping a new company or idea from disrupting Amazon now.
“Your margin is my opportunity” -Jeff Bezos

^ Except for this little gem of a quote.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.