The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

Has Amazon become a monopoly?

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Speedway Pass
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Very slimy Amazon. Competing directly with its users.
I was surprised to see that Amazon itself was offering its own organic kcups, co-branded with Keurig, at about 25% less than all the other organic coffee brands. How does a smaller coffee company compete with that?
Slimy and scummy indeed. I hope the MacKenzie-Jeff divorce goes through.

If MacKenzie has half of his Amazon shares and she decides to work there, she will probably have differing opinions on the operations and directions of the company. Hopefully there'll be an internal war within Amazon to the point of company meltdown, affecting daily operations and service gradually, with shares eventually plummeting and Bezos getting hit with losses after losses, before the whole thing wraps up in an epic "Fall Of The Empire" scene.

Bezos needs to be cut down to size.

Ok, back to work.

Sanj Modha

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 16, 2016
Do I worry about Amazon? Nope.

Have I seen Mark Cuban reject a Shark Tank pitch because of Amazon competition? Nope.

Amazon is a monopoly but you shouldn't let that stop you.

The richest man in Asia isn't Chinese; he's Indian (as of June 2018) and he doesn't manufacture products. Amazon hasn't stopped him either.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Well, in Ireland, or The Rip-off-republic as some people call it, Amazon is our saviour to be honest.

We have little selection here and margins are astronomical. It's a pity they don't deliver real estate and motor insurance for the Irish market too..... maybe some day...

But as for any monopoly.

I wonder if they are going to crush the competition and then raise the prices (see broadband companies or any other monopolies).

I don't think so personally as big companies have one huge disadvantage.

They are big, slow and every decent small company will be able to outmanoeuvre them with a little effort. The only way keeping big companies afloat is bribing and corrupting 'the system', but that's for another story... (see the number of licences you need to start a business in any industry and then you will know how corrupted it has been - retail is not one of them... yet... e.g. you need to crash 1000s of cars to 'test' them before they are 'consider' safe, so imagine the Wright brothers operating in this environment, or Mr Daimler or Mr Benz, there were no licences then...)...

Last edited:

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Can’t be Amazon and Walmart at the same time. They will run their own customers out of business, trading their entrepreneurs in for consumers.

Plot twist - Alibaba acquires Amazon. Turns it back into an e-commerce platform with no slimy private labeling of its own, and begins heavily developing it as an import/export channel for all manufacturers.

Acquires ThomasNet, Maker’s Row, Shopify, etc., top to bottom monopoly on anything in the global B2B market. Suddenly you can go there and find any factory - America, Europe, Africa, anywhere. Product development resources, design and marketing. Funding and investment channels, “Kickstarter” campaigns, they manage inventory and distribution. Heck, might as well acquire DHL or UPS and control their own shipping. Everything commerce related in one place.

Too big? Too messy and diversified?

Yzn

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 1, 2018
Could it be that the U.S government are the ones behind making companies like Amazon, Facebook, Google etc. this huge in order to dominate worldwide industries?

I mean look at what happened to Huawei in recent news, they're literally butchering the company as hard as they can. Why? Because they spy for the Chinese...oh really? I don't deny that claim looking as to how the Chinese government operates....but is the U.S government any better? Hell no, they are the masters at this shit.

Obviously all this talk I wrote here has no evidence or proof it's just an opinion

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Speedway Pass
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Could it be that the U.S government are the ones behind making companies like Amazon, Facebook, Google etc. this huge in order to dominate worldwide industries?

I mean look at what happened to Huawei in recent news, they're literally butchering the company as hard as they can. Why? Because they spy for the Chinese...oh really? I don't deny that claim looking as to how the Chinese government operates....but is the U.S government any better? Hell no, they are the masters at this sh*t.

Obviously all this talk I wrote here has no evidence or proof it's just an opinion
This falls into the realm of unpopular opinion, but it's entirely possible.

MJ DeMarco

Raving Lunatic
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Jul 23, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
getUnscripted.com
Separately, I was searching for some organic coffee kcups on Amazon a few days ago. I was surprised to see that Amazon itself was offering its own organic kcups, co-branded with Keurig, at about 25% less than all the other organic coffee brands. How does a smaller coffee company compete with that?
They don't. And that's the problem. They're starting to do this in many markets.

Do I worry about Amazon? Nope.

Have I seen Mark Cuban reject a Shark Tank pitch because of Amazon competition? Nope.

Amazon is a monopoly but you shouldn't let that stop you.

The richest man in Asia isn't Chinese; he's Indian (as of June 2018) and he doesn't manufacture products. Amazon hasn't stopped him either.
I worry about any public or private company that has the power to destroy a person's life, from how he eats and buys the necessities of life, to how he makes his living. We already have an entity with that type of power, it's called a government.

Of course Amazon shouldn't stop us at this moment in time, but it eventually will at its current trajectory of predatory practices.

To the victor goes the spoils, or in this case, to the victor goes to those who predict and forecast the future. And if Amazon is destroying small business and micro-entrepreneurs, then all of us should be concerned.

I fear the day where the unstated prerequisites to be an entrepreneur is a Harvard degree, millions of dollars in funding and VC backing, and an address in Silicon Valley. Because to compete with Amazon, that's what ya'll are gonna need!

Sanj Modha

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 16, 2016
They don't. And that's the problem. They're starting to do this in many markets.

I worry about any public or private company that has the power to destroy a person's life, from how he eats and buys the necessities of life, to how he makes his living. We already have an entity with that type of power, it's called a government.

Of course Amazon shouldn't stop us at this moment in time, but it eventually will at its current trajectory of predatory practices.

To the victor goes the spoils, or in this case, to the victor goes to those who predict and forecast the future. And if Amazon is destroying small business and micro-entrepreneurs, then all of us should be concerned.

I fear the day where the unstated prerequisites to be an entrepreneur is a Harvard degree, millions of dollars in funding and VC backing, and an address in Silicon Valley. Because to compete with Amazon, that's what ya'll are gonna need!
I don't see the future in such dystopian terms but I agree that if you, as a business owner, don't level up - Amazon will eat you.

I was in talks with a local business that sells bath salts from 8 physical locations but NO e-commerce presence. The owner said to me, and I quote: "We are an experience business/product. We don't need e-commerce". I replied: "That's what every bookstore said before Amazon came along".

I give his business 2 or 3 years tops to survive before A) Amazon eats him or B) his competition dominates the ecomms space.

Last edited:

FORUM SPONSOR

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Post thread…

Search the Forum

New Topics

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers