• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Has Amazon become a monopoly?

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by MJ DeMarco, Jul 27, 2018.

1. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,268
    I'd invest now

2. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $336,911
    Admin Post
    EU begins investingation into Amazon w/respect to small merchants...

EU Starts Preliminary Probe into Amazon's Treatment of Merchants

I think someone here mentioned this... how Amazon will use internal data from their smaller merchants to eventually enter new spaces and eventually compete on... @Vigilante was that you?

So if Amazon sees small merchant XYZ KILLING IT on something, Amazon will use that data to determine if they want to enter the space, and hence, eventually SQUASH small merchant.

Predatory and monopolistic? Nawwwwwwww...

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 8.21.58 AM.png

3. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $177,807
    There was an expose article done a few years ago on this topic. Amazon waits in the weeds, and when they see someone develop something successfully Amazon would go directly to the source. It was a well written and highly publicized article... that went nowhere.

The solution for a while was private branding, but when the flood gates opened to China that kind of changed the easy ability to differentiate products/brands.

This might have been the article, and if so you can see this is nothing new to Amazon. Competing With Amazon on Amazon

Xeon, MJ DeMarco and Out of Touch like this.
  4. Bryan James

Bryan James Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $378
    I'm not invested in Amazon and I don't encourage any of my clients to invest in Amazon; overpriced valuation and shaky foundation in my opinion. No dividend on a $2k/share stock quote and a 3% profit margin (they only became a profitable company over last 1 or 2 years!), $45 BILLION in debt with $27 BIL cash, plus all of the negative governmental/political interest coming in? Hell no. It had an impressive run but don't see much long-term potential. 5 years ago, oh hell ya, but I would've sold out (as an investor) by now. That's where I stand.

Denis from BE and Xeon like this.
  5. Fabio1

Fabio1 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $31
    Hello,

It's a way for them to slowly investigate how to increase their market share in European countries.

A Dutch financial article said that their effort is still limited however, because their main focus is increasing market share in India.

I'm curious about how they will compete with the two biggest eshops in The Netherlands, who have a 3 and 4 times higher revenue than Amazon, free shipping for quite small priced products already and deliver in 24 hours and for an increased number of product even same day delivery; a service that you have to pay at Amazon. The most obvious scenario will be a complete takeover. Time will tell.

Kind regards,

Fabio

Xeon likes this.
  6. Walter Hay

Walter Hay Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $54,326
    I think Amazon might have an uphill battle in India. Flipcart is solidly entrenched in the marketplace, and during the Walmart takeover the Indian board got Walmart to agree to a great share buyback deal that should help maintain the strong loyalty that Flipcart have earned from their employees.

There is always the risk to Amazon that Walmart's experience in India together with now having a lot of brilliant and experienced Indian experts now on their staff, Walmart might do better in the USA after settling down in India.

Walter

Vigilante and Xeon like this.