• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Has Amazon become a monopoly?

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by MJ DeMarco, Jul 27, 2018.

1. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,220
    I'd invest now

2. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $374,484
    Admin Post
    EU begins investingation into Amazon w/respect to small merchants...

EU Starts Preliminary Probe into Amazon's Treatment of Merchants

I think someone here mentioned this... how Amazon will use internal data from their smaller merchants to eventually enter new spaces and eventually compete on... @Vigilante was that you?

So if Amazon sees small merchant XYZ KILLING IT on something, Amazon will use that data to determine if they want to enter the space, and hence, eventually SQUASH small merchant.

Predatory and monopolistic? Nawwwwwwww...

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 8.21.58 AM.png

3. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $190,489
    There was an expose article done a few years ago on this topic. Amazon waits in the weeds, and when they see someone develop something successfully Amazon would go directly to the source. It was a well written and highly publicized article... that went nowhere.

The solution for a while was private branding, but when the flood gates opened to China that kind of changed the easy ability to differentiate products/brands.

This might have been the article, and if so you can see this is nothing new to Amazon. Competing With Amazon on Amazon

rpeck90, MooreMillions, Xeon and 2 others like this.
  4. Bryan James

Bryan James Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $925
    I'm not invested in Amazon and I don't encourage any of my clients to invest in Amazon; overpriced valuation and shaky foundation in my opinion. No dividend on a $2k/share stock quote and a 3% profit margin (they only became a profitable company over last 1 or 2 years!), $45 BILLION in debt with $27 BIL cash, plus all of the negative governmental/political interest coming in? Hell no. It had an impressive run but don't see much long-term potential. 5 years ago, oh hell ya, but I would've sold out (as an investor) by now. That's where I stand.

5. Fabio1

Fabio1 New Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $87
    Hello,

It's a way for them to slowly investigate how to increase their market share in European countries.

A Dutch financial article said that their effort is still limited however, because their main focus is increasing market share in India.

I'm curious about how they will compete with the two biggest eshops in The Netherlands, who have a 3 and 4 times higher revenue than Amazon, free shipping for quite small priced products already and deliver in 24 hours and for an increased number of product even same day delivery; a service that you have to pay at Amazon. The most obvious scenario will be a complete takeover. Time will tell.

Kind regards,

Fabio

Xeon likes this.
  6. Walter Hay

Walter Hay Legendary Contributor Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $64,207
    I think Amazon might have an uphill battle in India. Flipcart is solidly entrenched in the marketplace, and during the Walmart takeover the Indian board got Walmart to agree to a great share buyback deal that should help maintain the strong loyalty that Flipcart have earned from their employees.

There is always the risk to Amazon that Walmart's experience in India together with now having a lot of brilliant and experienced Indian experts now on their staff, Walmart might do better in the USA after settling down in India.

Walter

7. MTEE1985

MTEE1985 The world belongs to the risk takers Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $935
    Amazon to Raise Its Minimum U.S. Wage to $15 an Hour

Cliff notes: All U.S. workers will get a $15/hour minimum wage, top 25% in starting pay for general warehouse jobs AND it will be effective in a month. They aren’t waiting 2-3 years like other retailers.

Love them or hate them, you have to admit, they/Bezos are exceptionally good at appealing to the “99%”

MooreMillions, SMH, Kak and 1 other person like this.
  8. theresgot2bemore

theresgot2bemore Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $10
    This was a clever strategic move and, as usual, will have predictable outcomes.

MooreMillions, Kak and Xeon like this.
  9. Robert Williams

Robert Williams New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $41
    In my thoughts YES, you are right. Nowadays Amazon becomes a disrupted machine as it will sooner ruin the life line of retail marketers as all the youth and upcoming generation are shifting towards it. This all because of the best marketing strategies it provide, but in my knowledge it will prove a big problem for the retailers.

MooreMillions and Xeon like this.
  10. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $190,489
  11. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $190,489
  12. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $190,489
  13. Xeon

Xeon All Cars Kneel Before Pagani. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,190
    Those article links above are highly worrying. On track to capture 50% of the US ecommerce market?! Jesus. Imagine a world where Amazon controls 100% of the eCommerce market.

It's really a bit of a grey area : being a platform provider and then coming up with your own brands based on the information you got from your 3rd-party sellers and customers are just.....

While this may sound very "loser-ish" and whiny, and perhaps highly naive and stupid, but...

I hope the US government will break up Amazon into smaller companies.
    Bezos is getting far too powerful for his own good.

Is it time to break up Amazon.com? Here’s how it gets done
    Amazon will be broken up by antitrust regulation, expert warns

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    MooreMillions likes this.
  14. tammymorton313

tammymorton313 New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $61
    Its always said that "what goes up must come down". Amazon is the Walmart online. Amazon is into every industry because of "What goes up must come down". So, when one industry is down the others are up which keeps the money flowing in no matter what happens; they got it covered. That's Amazon!

Xeon likes this.
  15. 404profound

404profound Gold Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,754
    Someone should start "Antizon" to compete with a similar business structure, only you get presented random products and swipe left or right on them.

Just kidding.

CaptainAmerica and Xeon like this.
  16. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $374,484
    SMH, Dramolion, Roz and 4 others like this.
  17. 404profound

Rep Bank:
    $3,754
    Xeon likes this.
  18. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,220
    Xeon likes this.
  19. B. Cole

B. Cole In thine hand is power and might. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,069
    Xeon and Kruiser like this.
  20. MTF

MTF Never give up Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $75,298
    This is crazy. Add to that 83% (2017 data, it's probably even higher now) in ebook sales and it's extremely hard to run a business without being at least partly exposed to Amazon.

404profound likes this.
  21. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $374,484
    Admin Post
    The scary part is imagining if Amazon banned you, including any website that ran AWS. That could turn your life upside down and immediately transport you back to 1980.

The could take away your business.
    Your internet.
    Your media.
    Your ability to consume needed goods.

That's FN power, too much power.

22. 404profound

Rep Bank:
    $3,754
    Yea, people should definitely be afraid of AWS. I'm trying to avoid it in my app for all considerations.

23. Kruiser

Kruiser Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $1,512
    Part of the challenge is that "monopoly" doesn't mean "really really big company I don't like," but is a technical term of art. From what I recall, monopoly and anticompetitive practices need to be analyzed in the context of very specific and narrowly defined markets.

Amazon is in a ton of separate and distinct markets now. I think monopoly/anti-competetive practices would need to be proven in each distinct market. The feds take forever to bring antitrust actions and those cases drag on endlessly. I recall that the case against Microsoft bundling of Internet Explorer and Windows was still being fought 10 years after the technology and market had moved on.

Separately, I was searching for some organic coffee kcups on Amazon a few days ago. I was surprised to see that Amazon itself was offering its own organic kcups, co-branded with Keurig, at about 25% less than all the other organic coffee brands. How does a smaller coffee company compete with that?

Xeon likes this.
  24. Fabio1

Fabio1 New Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $87
    Here's a graph of some countries with their top three online sellers (made by the ING Bank). As you can see, there's still a lot of growth potential for Amazon. ING_EBZ_marktaandelen_tcm162-163044.png
    Hmmm, what does China and the Netherlands have in common...?

Xeon likes this.
  25. jcalvin21

jcalvin21 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $6
    Amazon is definitely a monopoly just as google has a monopoly on search advertisement but the big question is a monopoly on what? Amazon and the other tech giants have been able to avoid been slap with the antitrust law by framing them selves as a small fish in the big ocean. A good example is Google who frames themselves as "technology company" "competing" with different "competitors" on phones, self driving cars, laptops,cloud,etc... even though 84% of their revenue comes from their advertisement business.

Xeon likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.