The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hard to Make Decision To Dropout..

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
@alan3wilson
I think the most logical decision is to stay in school and complete this thing. It sounds like you can get some skills out of this educational path...

I second this. Two of the things schooling [should] teaches you are:
- how to learn, and
- the skill for which you've signed up

If you want to be world class, you're going to need both. Read, listen, and identify problems in your field.

If anything, this can be your test to both take action and finish what you started, which will be equally important in your entrepreneurial pursuits.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
I've just checked where I live (europe) and I should start again from zero if I go for an economics degree.
Also there are some subjects I don't care like governance or political economics lol and I don't see how these subjects will create value in the marketplace.

I think I should just stick with computer science and finish it even If I don't like it at all. It gives me good skills for the market and If I want to work in marketing and sales I could go for ICT sector.

What do you think guys of my logical decision now?

*Also I've realized that I'm not enjoying coding in classes because I still didn't get any success with it, so I should build some app

Last edited:

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
Guys something strange happened:

I fixed a website for a "client", I've just redirected an url with html code. The code worked and I felt like a God!
Now I think programming is all about practice and it's a valuable skills.
I think I didn't see success in programming before that's why I got some doubts, maybe I should just finish Computer science degree even while I'm working part-time without dropping out or changing major.

I've made 20$ in 20 minutes lol the easiest money of my life.

dbelov275

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 7, 2017
Europe
Hey guys here I'm again, I feel lost again.. I'm studying computer engineering and I can't see myself being a software engineer..

I should have graduated last year but now I'm at my forth year of bachelor.. I feel lost and dead inside..

What should I do? suck it up and finish the bachelor or dropout and do something better?

I really can't see being only a programmer but I think about sales and marketing every day for 24 hours day
It is good to do what you love. That is correct. But you have gone so far to just let it go just like that. Hang in there. It's just one more academic session. Sometimes we are blinded by vain pursue of happiness but that is what actually keeps us from being genuinely happy.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
It is good to do what you love. That is correct. But you have gone so far to just let it go just like that. Hang in there. It's just one more academic session. Sometimes we are blinded by vain pursue of happiness but that is what actually keeps us from being genuinely happy.

So you are saying to suck up and just finish it ? In the worst case it will take me 2 years to finish ...

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Guys something strange happened:

I fixed a website for a "client", I've just redirected an url with html code. The code worked ...

I've made 20$ in 20 minutes lol the easiest money of my life.

Can you find another client? This could work out for you (you'll learn a lot) while you "sort" things out. Lol.

You can start by asking your client for referrals.

Too easy if you can help people right?

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
You're deathly afraid of what people think of you...thus, my calculations say:

1. You've probably never done sales [as you need 0 shits about what people think]...ergo
2. You've never started a business

The honest truth:
Someone with your current mindset, lack of sales skills, and lack of entrepreneurship experience...
It's going to take many years before you're working full-time for yourself. That's not what you want to hear on a forum like this. Read other stories on here. Read MJs.​

---> You need a year to simply build up confidence and get a much better mindset
---> You need another year (or two) to 'master' sales and marketing
---> You're obviously a young kid (21 or less)...meaning you need more time to mature and get disciplined

STEPS TO TAKE:
1. Build your mindset now (read, read, read)
2. Learn marketing, sales and copy while you go to school
3. Graduate. Get a well-paying job. Work on your dream until 2am. Save your money.

GOOD NEWS:
You're a freakin' young bull. Stop reading about all these '18-year old' billionaires. Running a business is a LONG GAME. You have plenty of time. You need to break down that time into daily habits. Incremental improvements each day.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
Can you find another client? This could work out for you (you'll learn a lot) while you "sort" things out. Lol.

You can start by asking your client for referrals.

Too easy if you can help people right?

Yea will ask for referrals, it is better to learn more programming.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
You're deathly afraid of what people think of you...thus, my calculations say:

1. You've probably never done sales [as you need 0 shits about what people think]...ergo
2. You've never started a business

The honest truth:
Someone with your current mindset, lack of sales skills, and lack of entrepreneurship experience...
It's going to take many years before you're working full-time for yourself. That's not what you want to hear on a forum like this. Read other stories on here. Read MJs.​

---> You need a year to simply build up confidence and get a much better mindset
---> You need another year (or two) to 'master' sales and marketing
---> You're obviously a young kid (21 or less)...meaning you need more time to mature and get disciplined

STEPS TO TAKE:
1. Build your mindset now (read, read, read)
2. Learn marketing, sales and copy while you go to school
3. Graduate. Get a well-paying job. Work on your dream until 2am. Save your money.

GOOD NEWS:
You're a freakin' young bull. Stop reading about all these '18-year old' billionaires. Running a business is a LONG GAME. You have plenty of time. You need to break down that time into daily habits. Incremental improvements each day.

Thanks for the advice , really helpful.

I've just sold sometimes used items on craiglist/ebay.
Could I ask you how did you overcome your fear of caring what people think?

I know I need to improve my mindset really.

So you are saying to finish computer science without thinking other possibilities or changing major ?

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
Hey guys what do you think about following your Intuition ? Is it always right ?

I've tried meditation and writing without any distraction on a paper with a pen and here my Intuition thoughts , here what my intuition think:

1) I want to become a master in sales and marketing in 5 years

2) I'd spend all my time finding new ways to make money and sell to solve real problems

3) My ideal lifestyle is to travel the world and run multiple businesses

4) Do I see myself a coder in 5 years? No

5) Do I see myself a professional engineer/technician? No

6) Do I see myself a seller and marketer ? Yes

Best situation: continue college or change to economics or dropout while working on my own projects

Worse situation: finish computer science then get job and realize I hate it.

Do you think these thoughts coming from my Intuition are right ? How to trust 100% my own intuition?

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
Guys sorry again but my situation is going to drive me crazy lol

so I'm obsessed about making money online and making an online business so I surf all day on the internet and study like 1 hour for college lol

I just see myself next 5 years mastering marketing and sales, really I don't see me doing programming all day and I think that's why I keep doing internet marketing and so on

What should I do ? focus like 2 hours per day on college studies and rest of day on business?

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Guys sorry again but my situation is going to drive me crazy lol

so I'm obsessed about making money online and making an online business so I surf all day on the internet and study like 1 hour for college lol

I just see myself next 5 years mastering marketing and sales, really I don't see me doing programming all day and I think that's why I keep doing internet marketing and so on

What should I do ? focus like 2 hours per day on college studies and rest of day on business?

I'll tell you exactly what you should do.

Don't drop out of school. Get awesome grades and make your parents proud.

Start an online business and make money. If you manage your time correctly you will be able to do this and study.

Once your business makes money, THEN decide what to do.

Tell your intuition if it talks to you one more time before then you'll burn it alive.

MiguelHammond10

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jun 12, 2017
Seattle
Hey guys here I'm again, I feel lost again.. I'm studying computer engineering and I can't see myself being a software engineer..

I should have graduated last year but now I'm at my forth year of bachelor.. I feel lost and dead inside..

What should I do? suck it up and finish the bachelor or dropout and do something better?

I really can't see being only a programmer but I think about sales and marketing every day for 24 hours day

I think is better to finish,You have only one year left just finish it get the certificate then see what comes next.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
I think is better to finish,You have only one year left just finish it get the certificate then see what comes next.

One year if all are going to be good lol

in the worst case scenario maybe I'll need at least 2 years :(

J_Cup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 14, 2017
Poland
I think that confidence comes from small successes. And from hustling. Really. I risk a lot but I re-engineered myself. I listed what I can do to be who I want to be and now I stick to this plan. If you have fears- just plan your actions. Don't spend time thinking about it and surfing the web. I'm scared-like-shit when I know that I don't do as much as I can. Write down new plan. Be proud of it and check Magic of Thinking Big book.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
Ok guys I keep going foward, did some exams, now I can choose some exams to finish the last year.

I really like electronics and physics but it's difficult and not very useful in the real world maybe. Also I can choose a computer security exam (useful for real life) and video gam design and marketing course.

Problem is I got some very difficult exams to recover (previous years) that still need to be passed.

What would you do choose easier exams of the last year so I can recover and pass the previous years exams or just choose difficult exams for the last year and pass also the previous exams that are difficult as well?

Just asking because I want to finish college but still want to choose useful exams (that can help for my Fastlane journey) to do for my last year. Thanks for the support.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Ok guys I keep going foward, did some exams, now I can choose some exams to finish the last year.

I really like electronics and physics but it's difficult and not very useful in the real world maybe. Also I can choose a computer security exam (useful for real life) and video gam design and marketing course.

Problem is I got some very difficult exams to recover (previous years) that still need to be passed.

What would you do choose easier exams of the last year so I can recover and pass the previous years exams or just choose difficult exams for the last year and pass also the previous exams that are difficult as well?

Just asking because I want to finish college but still want to choose useful exams (that can help for my Fastlane journey) to do for my last year. Thanks for the support.
You have to make your own decisions and learn from them (though I will say there is a lot of value in doing hard things, and in finishing).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D3AC5VU/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R4TQNP6/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

I would do whichever route you see as more beneficial for your end goals

(Sounds like you intuitively know this, and just want some confirmation... so there you go)

Btw, electronics and physics can definitely be useful in the real world (ever hear of Tesla, Google, Apple, or Amazon?)... or not. It all depends what your goals are.

Best of luck!

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
You have to make your own decisions and learn from them (though I will say there is a lot of value in doing hard things, and in finishing).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D3AC5VU/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R4TQNP6/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

I would do whichever route you see as more beneficial for your end goals

(Sounds like you intuitively know this, and just want some confirmation... so there you go)

Btw, electronics and physics can definitely be useful in the real world (ever hear of Tesla, Google, Apple, or Amazon?)... or not. It all depends what your goals are.

Best of luck!

Thanks.

Yep I'd like to learn the most important skills for real world and business so I think doing an exam in physics or computer security is good but then I just want to get the degree to start working on my fastlane business full time.

College still takes 8-10 hours days while in that time I could already setup a business.

AG356

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
599%
Apr 19, 2015
I do understand your concerns about how it will benefit you later in life, but you're in your 4th year already how can this even be a question?

I started my 5th out of my 6 BA semesters this week and I will damn sure finish this even though the motivation right now is on a all time low. What keeps me going was reading about a success story on here of a 20-something y/o running a 7 figure business while going to college. He mentioned a comment his father told him on why to finish college and it was quite powerful for me:

Credibility.

Personally I barely care about how much academic titles a person has collected, but I know for sure that 95% of people do. And if you try to do business with a big cooperation, credibility in forms of education plays a huge role in getting your foot into the door. I will never work in a big company but I for sure strive to work with them. I for sure will finish this and I suggest you do the same.

College still takes 8-10 hours days while in that time I could already setup a business.

Besides the fact that I STRONGLY disbelieve you regarding this workload, if you sleep 8 hours a day you're still left with 6 hours of spare time.
This is plenty to get something started.

alan3wilson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jun 26, 2016
I do understand your concerns about how it will benefit you later in life, but you're in your 4th year already how can this even be a question?

I started my 5th out of my 6 BA semesters this week and I will damn sure finish this even though the motivation right now is on a all time low. What keeps me going was reading about a success story on here of a 20-something y/o running a 7 figure business while going to college. He mentioned a comment his father told him on why to finish college and it was quite powerful for me:

Credibility.

Personally I barely care about how much academic titles a person has collected, but I know for sure that 95% of people do. And if you try to do business with a big cooperation, credibility in forms of education plays a huge role in getting your foot into the door. I will never work in a big company but I for sure strive to work with them. I for sure will finish this and I suggest you do the same.

Besides the fact that I STRONGLY disbelieve you regarding this workload, if you sleep 8 hours a day you're still left with 6 hours of spare time.
This is plenty to get something started.

thanks so better to finish I know that! Where did you find this comment?

Interesting Life

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Oct 2, 2016
New York
They say that no matter how long you've been going down the wrong path to turn back...

If you're almost done though maybe it's worth burning the candle at both ends to finish up the schooling.

Like everyone said though, the choice is completely yours. You know your situation best.

AG356

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
599%
Apr 19, 2015
thanks so better to finish I know that! Where did you find this comment?

Post #7

This being said, wrap this thread up and focus on doing whats necessary.

Study as long as necessary to pass.
Start working on a business.
Use your spare time to work on yourself.

But most importantly do it NOW.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.