The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Had An Amazing App Idea! Until I Found It Has Been Done...

Idea threads

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I have an idea for an app, found the datasets needed for it, and was going to start on a requirements process for it.

I did some deeper digging, and found two apps (only on android) that are exactly what I was thinking of making both with 100-500k downloads each.

I was planning on making this app iOS/Android/Web synced but was going to focus on iOS first.

I feel like I can do it better than them, and I have the idea for everything I need done. Is it worth pursuing? I know for a fact that people want it and are already using it, but how do you determine whether or not to try to compete with a market like that?

The combined downloads are well within the hundreds of thousands and presumably there are more apps with some downloads too.

Any thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I know it's tough to stomach when it's you in this spot, but because someone else is doing it isn't a good reason not to pursue something.

The fact that other apps with lots of downloads exist demonstrate there is a need for it.

Plus, if you can build it so it better solves that need, it can give you an advantage.

One thing is for sure though: If you're going to do it, you need to DO IT.

Don't second guess yourself and half-a$$ it because you're not sure if it'll work.

Also, look for complaints about those apps in the reviews and solve them.

You can use those features for selling points later to steal their customers away.

Good luck.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I know it's tough to stomach when it's you in this spot, but because someone else is doing it isn't a good reason not to pursue something.

The fact that other apps with lots of downloads exist demonstrate there is a need for it.

Plus, if you can build it so it better solves that need, it can give you an advantage.

One thing is for sure though: If you're going to do it, you need to DO IT.

Don't second guess yourself and half-a$$ it because you're not sure if it'll work.

Also, look for complaints about those apps in the reviews and solve them.

You can use those features for selling points later to steal their customers away.

Good luck.

Exactly what I was thinking in regards to the reviews. I was looking through the reviews and found that the app doesn't offer enough options, and is quite set for a certain set of people though different sets of people use it. I'm going to go ahead with it. I'm not sure if I even need to validate it because it has already been validated by the fact that there are others that use this app.. Right? As far as a landing page goes with an email list.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
100-500K downloads is validation enough for me (assuming no fraud, etc.).

My only concern would be whether building the app accomplishes whatever goal I'm after.

If I want to make money, but you can only generate $100 a month, I'd pass.

I'd still build an email list leading up to the app launching so you can beta test it and get downloads at launch.

You just don't need it for validation.

Similar to how MJ is launching his new book - he already has preorders and it won't be released until May.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
100-500K downloads is validation enough for me (assuming no fraud, etc.).

My only concern would be whether building the app accomplishes whatever goal I'm after.

If I want to make money, but you can only generate $100 a month, I'd pass.

I'd still build an email list leading up to the app launching so you can beta test it and get downloads at launch.

You just don't need it for validation.

Similar to how MJ is launching his new book - he already has preorders and it won't be released until May.
How would one know what the apps create for income though?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
@wade1mil hit the nail right on the head.

You already have the one thing answered most app developers don't have. Do people want it? Those download numbers say yes.

You've already identified ways you can improve upon it and identified a key differentiator, it's not on iOS.

I'd check the update history on the two apps and see how regularly they've been updated. If they haven't been touched in months then you know you have a complacent competitor that probably won't even notice you coming into the market.

As far as what income they're generating, who cares.

The question is, what monetization do you see for it?

You can put your own spin on it.

Put out a landing page, get emails for a beta test for sure.

I expect a good progress thread out of this.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
@wade1mil hit the nail right on the head.

You already have the one thing answered most app developers don't have. Do people want it? Those download numbers say yes.

You've already identified ways you can improve upon it and identified a key differentiator, it's not on iOS.

I'd check the update history on the two apps and see how regularly they've been updated. If they haven't been touched in months then you know you have a complacent competitor that probably won't even notice you coming into the market.

As far as what income they're generating, who cares.

The question is, what monetization do you see for it?

You can put your own spin on it.

Put out a landing page, get emails for a beta test for sure.

I expect a good progress thread out of this.

Dug deeper... Found a couple of iPhone apps that do the same thing. I hate the itunes store because you can't see downloads so no idea how big they are. I'm going to have to do some more research into their reviews.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
The idea is an app that you input your weight height age female male and goals for if you want to gain mass, lose weight, maintain etc. It builds you a meal plan and gives you a workout plan that you can follow. I found a web API that has nutritional information and recipes that you can pick from.

Sounds like a sweet idea, and everyone I've talked to said it sounds great. But there are a few like that already, though the market obviously isn't huge, I know myfitnesspal just sold for 500m and it isn't close to the capability of what it could be... just thoughts..

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
The idea is an app that you input your weight height age female male and goals for if you want to gain mass, lose weight, maintain etc. It builds you a meal plan and gives you a workout plan that you can follow. I found a web API that has nutritional information and recipes that you can pick from.

Sounds like a sweet idea, and everyone I've talked to said it sounds great. But there are a few like that already, though the market obviously isn't huge, I know myfitnesspal just sold for 500m and it isn't close to the capability of what it could be... just thoughts..

Take a look at what bodybuilding.com does. If you could tie that, MyFitnessPal together and do it better. That would be an app I'd use.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.