The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Growing Runum's Youtube Channel

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
In response to @Prodox 's post and my critiques of his videos, I thought it would be fair for me to post my latest video for critiques. We are definitely in a different niche and my videos are not nearly as polished as his as far a lighting and pacing. This channel is a small part of the overall system, one method to build a customer base. Kind comments and suggestions are always welcome.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5tEEBB0vJE

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Definitely would like it (your channel) to succeed! Best wishes!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Goodie... another YouTube channel. Following.

(Not watched the video yet.)

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
My latest video is a summary of what I would do differently. The following are mental ramblings, constructive criticism is always welcome.

I have been at this regularly for about 3 years now and 180 videos for this channel. Here is the dilemma I see. You have to post videos to have content and to learn. You don't want to post trash but you know what you are putting out can be improved, always. My own brain is hammering me while I am recording and editing, "You can do better." At some point you have to publish.

Also, not all of your videos are going to be home runs and you have to be ok with that. But, if you are putting out videos that you know are not going to be home runs, are you doing your best? I guess, for me, the topic will not always be a home run but my effort in each video will be my best and I will learn to get better.

Also, I do expect that this video will do very well for my channel.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF0lD4MmqRg

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My latest video is a summary of what I would do differently. The following are mental ramblings, constructive criticism is always welcome.

I have been at this regularly for about 3 years now and 180 videos for this channel. Here is the dilemma I see. You have to post videos to have content and to learn. You don't want to post trash but you know what you are putting out can be improved, always. My own brain is hammering me while I am recording and editing, "You can do better." At some point you have to publish.

Also, not all of your videos are going to be home runs and you have to be ok with that. But, if you are putting out videos that you know are not going to be home runs, are you doing your best? I guess, for me, the topic will not always be a home run but my effort in each video will be my best and I will learn to get better.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF0lD4MmqRg
I’ll have separate channels. My personal channel is for videos I embed in here or share with people. I’ll build other channels for laser focused videos.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I’ll have separate channels. My personal channel is for videos I embed in here or share with people. I’ll build other channels for laser focused videos.

I like that strategy. I do post several other channels that I learn from as well.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
Ideally, i'll have a health channel, a beauty channel, and an entrepreneurial channel.

We'll see.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
We crossed 2000 subs today. It took me about 18 months of consistency to reach my first 1000 subs and about 9 months for the second 1000. We add about 7 subs a day at this time.

That "What Would I Change" video is doing extremely well for my channel. About 3000 views in a month. Right now it is getting about 170 -180 views a day.

This is what I am seeing, at the beginning of a new channel most of your views are from friends so the analytics will say they come from browse features or suggested videos.

In order to expand your videos need to get on YT search more often. That is SEO, keywords, and titles. Hopefully the content will lead to viewers.

At this stage, more of my content is back to browse features and suggested videos.

My "What Would I Change" video is 90% browse and suggested and 10% search. This is totally a new stage for me. Almost all of my prior traffic has been YT search and social media links.

Another milestone reached this month that is more important to me is we crossed 1000 channel views a day! 1000 pairs of eyes a day are watching my stuff, I would have never thought that many people would care. And, it's trending up.

More to come...

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I also have a secondary YT channel, a baby channel. It only has about 100 subs. I do shop stuff how to's there. Woodworking, metal working, mechanical stuff.... I am going to try my hand at this epoxy craze also. I have lots of LED lights from past projects and want to join them together with some future projects. We will see how that goes.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
My conversions channel is at 2400 subs now and adding 11 a day. and about 1400 views a day. We should be at 3000 subs around Thanksgiving. Impressions, watch time, and views are up 20% month to month. Revenue should be up 25% in September, my CPM is at $19.05 now(up from ~$15). My traffic for the last 28 days comes from suggested videos 35%, browse features 25%, YT search 21%, external 7%, channel pages 2%, and playlists 2%.

My DIY channel is at 130 subs, adding little less than 1 a day, about 30 views a day. My traffic for the last 28 days comes from browse features 43%, YT search 30%, external 10%, suggested videos 8%, and channel pages 5%.

I am getting traction in both channels by being in FB groups and seeing the common questions being asked. Then I make a relevant video to directly answer the question. The next time the question is asked I reply with short, polite comment and a link to my video. I am not pushing it out there, I let them ask for it. I have gotten push back only one time for being a "youtuber".

Here is my latest video for my how to channel. I used to do live narration while working and changed to voice over. This allows me to focus on the task, lighting, background, and camera angles. In a small shop backgrounds are always a challenge.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUA-pBFfURw

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My conversions channel is at 2400 subs now and adding 11 a day. and about 1400 views a day. We should be at 3000 subs around Thanksgiving. Impressions, watch time, and views are up 20% month to month. Revenue should be up 25% in September, my CPM is at $19.05 now(up from ~$15). My traffic for the last 28 days comes from suggested videos 35%, browse features 25%, YT search 21%, external 7%, channel pages 2%, and playlists 2%.

My DIY channel is at 130 subs, adding little less than 1 a day, about 30 views a day. My traffic for the last 28 days comes from browse features 43%, YT search 30%, external 10%, suggested videos 8%, and channel pages 5%.

I am getting traction in both channels by being in FB groups and seeing the common questions being asked. Then I make a relevant video to directly answer the question. The next time the question is asked I reply with short, polite comment and a link to my video. I am not pushing it out there, I let them ask for it. I have gotten push back only one time for being a "youtuber".

Here is my latest video for my how to channel. I used to do live narration while working and changed to voice over. This allows me to focus on the task, lighting, background, and camera angles. In a small shop backgrounds are always a challenge.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUA-pBFfURw
Well done!

I hope you framed the YouTuber comment.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Good Afternoon

Congratulations on your channel growing. And indeed your channel.

If I may just take my cue from Prince Harry and stick my British nose into the affairs of an American citizen, these were my thoughts on your channel. :)

Your channel is called GB Conversions and Adventures and having a quick scroll through the videos I didn't see much in the way of adventure.

People interested in doing up/building their own camper trailers would be out-doorsey types keen on adventure.

I would therefore have thought you would have more videos of you hauling your trailer up and down some fiendish roads, doing some minor repairs to whatever pops off and having a nice argument with your wife about how she told you it was loose, showing a bit more of the scenery then sitting with a beer and a BBQ as the sun sets.

A story with beginning, middle and end. Doesn't need to be that long.

Some of the scenery ones you have are truly stunning yet they are 3 minutes or less, and few and far between.

People into the adventure, scenery would be attracted to the channel and possibly get into the trailer van scene and vice versa

Do you see what I am getting at?

Dan

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Good Afternoon

Congratulations on your channel growing. And indeed your channel.

If I may just take my cue from Prince Harry and stick my British nose into the affairs of an American citizen, these were my thoughts on your channel. :)

Your channel is called GB Conversions and Adventures and having a quick scroll through the videos I didn't see much in the way of adventure.

People interested in doing up/building their own camper trailers would be out-doorsey types keen on adventure.

I would therefore have thought you would have more videos of you hauling your trailer up and down some fiendish roads, doing some minor repairs to whatever pops off and having a nice argument with your wife about how she told you it was loose, showing a bit more of the scenery then sitting with a beer and a BBQ as the sun sets.

A story with beginning, middle and end. Doesn't need to be that long.

Some of the scenery ones you have are truly stunning yet they are 3 minutes or less, and few and far between.

People into the adventure, scenery would be attracted to the channel and possibly get into the trailer van scene and vice versa

Do you see what I am getting at?

Dan
I agree with you. I have not been able to translate my adventure videos into high numbers of views versus the conversion videos. The bar is set very high on the adventure, scenery videos. We visit some spectacular places. We rarely have anything to repair because all the work was done correctly at home. I do not like having to repair on the road at all. My wife and I are not prone to dramatic disagreements and "I told you so's" that play well on social media, not our personality. Also, we are not young and beautiful, so, not many want to see me model in a speedo under a scenic waterfall. LOL

So I keep the adventure videos short but scenic, to show the viewers we actually do get out. Our adventures are usually very low key for us though.

I did attempt to change the name of the channel at one point but a few viewers were not happy with it. So I left it as is.

I do agree, this is a segment that can be expanded. So far, my attempts have not been near as successful as the conversion part. I would like to capitalize on the adventures side though, we are planning several months in Alaska next year and about a year of nomading following that. Plenty of opportunity.

Thanks for bringing that up Dan, I need to do some expanding on that.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
My conversions channel is over 2600 subs now and adding about 7 a day and about 1500 views a day. The subs have slowed some. We still should be at 3000 subs around Thanksgiving. Impressions, watch time, and views are up 4% month to month. Revenue are up slightly, my CPM is about $15.00 now.. My traffic for the last 28 days comes from suggested videos 34%, browse features 25%, YT search 20%, external 10%, channel pages 2%, and playlists 2%.

My channel focuses on means to travel and the subs tapered off some from the peak season. I knew this would happen. However, one of my tow vehicles, 2004 GMC HD2500, had a leaking heater core in April 2020. The repair bill would be ~$1000 which I could pay and get it done. I also had the time and skills to do it myself and record the video. This is a bear of a heater to fix and there were not any good videos of how to do it. I made a series of 11 videos in April and replaced the heater core. Now that cold weather is here those videos are the high performers and will bolster traffic to my YT channel over the winter. Meanwhile I can make content for the spring season. Those videos and those millions of trucks will be around a long time.

As far as the other channel. I decided to not commit to the time it needs to grow it. I may post vids on it from time to time to build content for later, but not going to grind on it like the other.

Edit: We also achieved 500,000 views yesterday! Now, on to the next 500K.

500,000ViewsMilestone!.png

My latest:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPjIKp2fx1U

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.