The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Great morning today

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
So I had a great day today. Since I have a 9-5 I get my 2 days off a week. Today was one of those days. I woke up early and went for a 5 mile walk with my dogs. I then went up to the cabin and just hung out and enjoyed the mountains. I stopped at the local bakery and had a fresh baked cranberry muffin. ($1.19 Russ :smxB:) All the while I kept thinking, "What would I do with my time if I was financially free?" A large smile spread across my face and I thought, "I would be doing this." I enjoyed the moment and vowed to myself to be able to repeat that morning as often as I could...and to focus on getting more cabins and weaning myself off my paycheck. ...My jump date to quit my job is July 31, 2008. After this date I will no longer work for anyone else- ever.
What a great morning.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Good luck buddy!!

Ever since I decided that jobs suck I've gotten better and better jobs. right now I am getting paid for basically being a cool social person. Who knows what happens next, but I am aiming at "money spending and lavish living fun thrills seeker" job :)

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Yves, your day sounds great.

I'm now working more than I have in the past because of all of the business changes, but I get to choose when I work.

Next week, David, our 16 y.o. son is off to Germany for 10 days and my husband and I are taking a drive from Phoenix to San Francisco to visit his oldest son and family. I love to drive and having the time to do that is a huge plus for me. We're taking a car up to them, so we'll fly back. In the past, I'd have hired someone to drive the car - which probably to many people makes more sense. But to have the time to take that drive and spend good quality time with my husband is ++++.

I couldn't even imagine working for someone else again. I think I'd get fired before lunch. :banana:

Poudda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 7, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I think my perfect day would begin with sleeping in (kid wont let that happen though so that means 7:00am and if I'm very very lucky, 8:00). If it was summer, I'd brew up some coffee and sit outside on the porch. Since it's cold as death outside in the morning at this time of year, I'm happy sitting downstairs on the computer or playing video games with the fireplace on.

I'd do this until about 9:00 and hang out with the family for the rest of the day. Maybe we'd play board games, maybe the kids are still too young so my wife and I just watch them run/crawl around bouncing off of the floor, the walls and the furniture. Maybe I'd take a break and go to the gym. Maybe we'd all read, and if was nice out, we would go for a walk or a drive. We would be able to go camping more than just a couple of times a year, and across country.

Our strategy begins with my wife quitting her job first (she's the breadwinner). As soon as our house is sold (possibly before the end of this October), she's free. My freedom will take a bit longer and depends on how well and how fast our plan works. In the interim, I'll probably go back into the trades - because I'm quitting my sh$@y banking job. This way I will at least get the benefit of the exercise and the added experience of fixing up houses.

triple J

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Aug 8, 2007
Utica, NY
I then went up to the cabin and just hung out and enjoyed the mountains.

Yves, you might have discussed this somewhere but I was curious what you do with the cabin? Rent it, I assume, weekly, nightly? Is it seasonal?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
triple J-

A little due diligence, please. Dozens of yveskleinsky's posts mention her cabin rentals.

It's great to show interest in what another member is up to-- but it's considered good manners around here to read some of their past posts first if you want to learn about who they are/what they do. :)

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
yveskleinsky-

Besides the PLAN exercises, I think this is one of the first posts I've seen you do that is focused on who you are, and what is important to you.

That's what it's all about. :)

As you identify the things that are part of who you are, your life starts to align in that direction. It just happens.

Setting goals works great, too. But identifying what feeds your soul is a powerful motivator.

As my Aussie friends say, "Good on you, mate!" :hurray:

-Russ H.

tbsells

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 27, 2007
Ohio
Yves,
Congratulations! I like and respect the "jump date." I personally have not done that and I need to. I'm self employed and don't work as much as I used to. I'm able to have some mornings and days like you described. Thats nice. But, it can lead a person into a slump where they are not productive enough because they are not focused on the goal. Maybe because the goal is not concrete enough. The "jump date" is concrete and motivational. I think it should be part of the fastlane mentality and lingo. Such as "Whats your jump date?" or "I jumped back in 05!"

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
Congrats on your jump date: Hope it happens just as you are planning or even better. :thumbsup: Last night we motored down to the coast :fastlane:I am sitting on the pier looking at the bay with my laptop reading my email drinking my coffee & reading this board. We just interviewed a property manager about handling one of our properties. We are going to look at a water front property in a few and for lunch we will be at my most fav restaurant in the world having jumbo margaritas & shrimp cocktail Mexican style:cheers:. It really is a great day.
Janet

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I should also add that the rest of the day was spent engaged in really productive ways- I went to a business seminar, spent time researching a 7 plex (in the mountains) and hung out with WildAmbitions. Overall it was a great day, not just a great morning. :) Russ- what you mentioned about finding what is important to me really hit home yesterday. There was this a ha moment about me owning my time and how I wanted to spend it. ...I have no desire to be financially free and lounge around all day- I want to be financially free so if I do come across an interesting potential deal (7 plex) or fresh cranberry muffins, I can stop and "research" them.

John

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Sep 18, 2007
Congratulations for setting a "jump date," and for coining such a great new term!

Your Jump Day is something that you'll always remember. Every year on the anniversary of mine I have a whole celebratory ritual that includes a 3-drink lunch and watching Office Space (to remind me of what I'd be doing if I hadn't made the jump.)

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Another aspect that Yves and I discussed was to not only focus a "jump date" but set a "jump amount". For example, in addition to setting the date, also set a specific amount of passive income to attain to have as a goal to accompany your "jump date".

This can also help to keep you moving forward toward the "final destination".

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Yes good point WildAmbitions! I was really focused on the date, WildAmbitions laughed and said she didn't think it would take me that long to get to where I could or would quit my job. (She might be right!) She had the great idea of focusing on an amount, like as soon as I get $2000/month passive (or whatever) I will leave my job and own my own time. Love it! I love having smart friends. :smxB:

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
Thats a great story yves! When you get to the point that allows you to repeat your day on a regular basis, keep going. My wife an I used to dream about living at the expensive beach community that's by us. We came to realize over time that it wasn't really what we wanted or who we wanted to be around.......but we still still have a bunch of property that has afforded us a pretty nice life :)

Best of luck with the countdown!

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
"I would be doing this." I enjoyed the moment and vowed to myself to be able to repeat that morning as often as I could...and to focus on getting more cabins and weaning myself off my paycheck. ...My jump date to quit my job is July 31, 2008. After this date I will no longer work for anyone else- ever.
What a great morning.

Cool! Start a thread in the goals section with...

Your goal - including your dead line.
Your plan -

And keep us updated.. (we, in turn can hold you accountable!)

S928

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 7, 2007
All the while I kept thinking, "What would I do with my time if I was financially free?" A large smile spread across my face and I thought, "I would be doing this." I enjoyed the moment and vowed to myself to be able to repeat that morning as often as I could...What a great morning.

Yve.sky, reading your post brought a smile to my face since your comments highly resemble my own. Oh, I'm cheering for you too.

:hurray:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.