The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Government/Taxes lecture

Taxes and regulation

eqjohnso

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 27, 2007
I attended a lecture today which went over the basis of what will happen between now and 09' depending on the election results. I found it very informative even though I have not been very involved with politics this year, but we went over four main topics:
  • How close are we to a recession and what the government will do about it
  • Taxes
  • The election
  • Geopolitics
Apparently, even though the chances are slim of the government saving the economy, they have two options.
  1. The Fed will have to do some "heavy lifting"
  2. The "stimulus package" (which is the hope that the election year will have a big impact on the economy.
Taxes will more than likely increase in 09' for a number of reasons.
  1. Trying to reduce the budget deficit
  2. pay for new plans for elected president
  3. Rich are not paying enough in taxes (kind of chuckled when I heard that)
  4. Bush tax cuts will be expiring soon
Taxes on capital gains now are around 15% and they will probably change to around 20%, as well as the dividends tax which is 15% will be around the 20% range too.

On the geopolitical topic, there was some talk about the US/China relations and so far it looks as though everything will be fine. But what really caught my attention was our Pakistanian worries. Apparently we discovered that they had 50 nuclear bombs? I don't know if this is old news, but it really caught my attention.

:eusa_naughty:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Redshft

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Nov 5, 2007
Greenville, NC
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke spoke with Congress today pushing a quick implemented yet temporary stimulus package. Basically proposing that money in the hands of people that would spend it the quickest would slightly boost the economy.

Careful with this topic though as it heavily circulates around politics.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Thanks for your post. Yes, the tax and economic predictions are interesting. The geopolitical and political parts are not what we like to discuss here.

Who were the speakers/presenters for this lecture?

So, about the taxes, the prediction is that they capital gains will increase 5 points. That seems to be a consensus everywhere I look. Maybe it will make sense to get your capital gains this year while it still is 15% and 'save' that extra tax.

What were the main points about the Fed's 'heavy lifting' and the 'stimulus package'? I'd like to know more about that.

eqjohnso

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 27, 2007
Sorry about that .

I can not remember his name, but I ask the Economics Dept. if you want to know andviv.
The two points about how the economy could be saved, is where he did not go into very much detail, I am guessing because there is such a low chance of it actually happening. The election year in general is the "stimulus package".

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.