The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Living like a king without working - a man living on government assistance for over 30 years

Speculatooor

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOmhPkf8W0U

It's a dutch video, so to watch it you'll have to set auto-translation on to get english subtitles.

Basically, this dude lives off of welfare (for his sickness which isn't asked further about) for over 30 years by living really simple. He gets 1200 a month cash from the government, where he lives of 300 after living expenses to do groceries. By only spending 7 euro's a day he actually saves money every month and even bought a ~3000 euro chessboard on impulse.

On the question "Then what do you do on vacation?" he answers with "I have vacation everyday. I have no care in the world or obligations. I have my freedom, which I redeem by saving". He even warns the interviewer to not work too hard or he will be burned out when he hits 30 lol.

The comments are mixed with a lot of people angrily calling him to just start working and stop being lazy and people jealously congratulating him on beating the system.

In my opinion, this dude is on the opposite end of being unscripted than what we are striving for. I thought this was interesting enough to share with you guys.

(I also would like to add that there was a report recently that calculated that people who work minimum wage full time only earn 30 euros more a month than people who don't and get government assistance with all kinds of benefits)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Speculatooor

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
I would say that this guy is the ultimate consumer. Wageslaves who spend all their money on consuming are atleast partly producers by the value of their work.

flower_girl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 9, 2019
I doubt this gentleman is lazy - look how immaculate his place is.

Some people have serious illnesses and disabilities you cannot see by looking at them e.g. heart conditions, lupus, Crohn's disease, brain injuries, rheumatoid arthritis, mental health issues. There are some which cause chronic pain or fatigue or dizziness for example which are not visible to onlookers.

If doctors signed all this off - which I assume they did - and if he has a certain entitlement and lives under that entitlement, maybe by being very frugal in particular areas, then I think he's probably quite a good manager.

I really wouldn't like to judge this guy (not that I'm fond of judging people at all anyway) without more information.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
This guy is a common thief. He just got to use the biggest weapon, political power, to rob productive citizens. So that makes it all right?

I hope he is in prison and I am NOT a big fan of jailing everyone for everything.

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
I doubt this gentleman is lazy - look how immaculate his place is.

Some people have serious illnesses and disabilities you cannot see by looking at them e.g. heart conditions, lupus, Crohn's disease, brain injuries, rheumatoid arthritis, mental health issues. There are some which cause chronic pain or fatigue or dizziness for example which are not visible to onlookers.

If doctors signed all this off - which I assume they did - and if he has a certain entitlement and lives under that entitlement, maybe by being very frugal in particular areas, then I think he's probably quite a good manager.

I really wouldn't like to judge this guy (not that I'm fond of judging people at all anyway) without more information.
Not saying you're wrong but I have cousins who brag about being on disability even though nothing is wrong with them. Many doctors will sign off on just about anything. That is one reason why so many people abuse pills here in Ohio. Tell a doctor you have a little ache and he gives you a script for Vicodin. Pathetic.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Many doctors will sign off on just about anything. That is one reason why so many people abuse pills here in Ohio. Tell a doctor you have a little ache and he gives you a script for Vicodin. Pathetic.

This is why many European systems avoid the doctor getting a kickback from prescriptions,even if pharmaceutical companies and doctors and patients are honest their is too much chance of unitended consequences.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Maybe they “have” something with this approach but my bet is they “feel” terrible.

Being a freeloader in life and offering zero value is going to undermine your self respect and self confidence in a massive way. You are in many ways a leech.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Seems like a boring unambitious existence. So in exchange for defrauding the dutch government and insane frugality he gets to live like a mendicant hermit?

Sorry but if im gonna be a bike riding vegan in a tenement building thats going to be a personal choice not a budget constraint.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
It's hard for me to comment on this without english subtitles. He may have a legitimate condition that prevents him from working, and $1200 isn't much.

There are some people with legitimate problems and she that are just milking the system. Without knowing what he's saying it's hard for me to tell which he is.

Edit: how do I set it to English? All I get is Dutch.

Nvm, got it

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
honestly live and let live.
the government gonna tax ur a$$ anyway.

If this guy has a genuine disability then i support the measly 1200 bucks a month all the way.

if he's not disabled at all then he's leaching the system at 1200 a month, god knows that NOTHING compared to the corruption that's really going on.
One day he's gonna die, at least on his deathbed he won't regret 40 years wasted on a shit career. He might regret not pushing himself to his full potential but at least he got to chill out his whole life lol

I honestly aint gonna hate on this guy.
Because if i had no drive whatsoever and i found a way to get 1200 bucks a month, it would take quite a lot of willpower to reject it and go work a shitty 9-5.

from the translation i gather he doesn't smoke, drink, or do any drugs.
there was a part where he talked about sex but the translation was bad, im curious whether he indulges in prostitution regularly or he stopped that as well lol

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
if he's not disabled at all then he's leaching the system at 1200 a month, god knows that NOTHING compared to the corruption that's really going on.

Yeh actual welfare fraud costs taxpayers a pittance vs say just medicare fraud , or the losses because were in a kleptocracy and the billionaires can lobby to be untouchable. They live in woowoo fantasy ayn rand land and the rest of us actually have to deal with the crumbling infastructure and junkies.

A few trillion for some ears in the middle east no one bats an eye , some guy mooches food stamps and everyone's up in arms. Classic divide and conquer.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Do you also judge people who park in the handicap parking spot and have a handicap sign yet don't look handicapped?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I don't think this guy is committing welfare fraud though. I think he's just getting the same amount as any other disabled person and spending it wisely. No alcohol, no smoking, no candy. He's just pinching pennies and then spending it on things he truly values.

I mean this is all contingent upon his illness being genuine of course, but he doesn't strike me as a scam artist. He strikes me as a conscientious older man taking the same amount other sick people get and just spending it more wisely.

I have mixed feelings about this because he probably could do some administrative work from home, but the world isn't really set up like that.

Keep in mind, we don't know what his illness is. He strikes me as the type of guy who would work if he could. My father was one of the top engineers at a medical company until a heard attack caused him to not be able to work. The company paid him after that, not the government. But he would have loved to have stayed, but he couldn't. Not everyone who collects is a scammer.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Yeh actual welfare fraud costs taxpayers a pittance vs say just medicare fraud , or the losses because were in a kleptocracy and the billionaires can lobby to be untouchable. They live in woowoo fantasy ayn rand land and the rest of us actually have to deal with the crumbling infastructure and junkies.

A few trillion for some ears in the middle east no one bats an eye , some guy mooches food stamps and everyone's up in arms. Classic divide and conquer.

yup,
and its important to be clear here.
If the dude aint disabled im not saying hes right.

But lets tackle the big fish criminals first right, not some aging dude in a small apartment who splurged on a chessboard, i mean come on right?

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ

Why even live? , When I make it i'm getting me a blimp sized pinata , with my name on it in big gold letters. We're talking big rock candy mountain status. Is that a valid "why"? Early onset diabetes? :hilarious:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
He is a good saver. I give him credit for that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.