The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

GO TO COLLEGE... A little Rant.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
On this site, over and over, people ask, should I go to school, It's free, it's expensive, is it a waste of time? It's this or that.

Let me tell you something. For all your wanting to be great, for all your needing to be great, for all the lies you tell yourself about how great you are.

You are probably not and odds are you are going to fail. Sorry but it is true. Business is tough, if you think School is hard, wait tell you open a business.

It's 4, well maybe for some of you slow ones 6 years. from 18-22... Go get the experience. Go live your life, have fun.

Do you really think all those losers who do nothing but party and bang chicks are going to be sad in 10 years.

They might be, but they are going to have some great memories..

You on the other hand took a shot, it failed, and all the memories you got out of 18-22 is your business failing, your parents yelling at you, you losing friends. etc.

I myself never went to college, and I am one of the lucky ones who made money right out of the gate. But most of you won't be lucky. Trust me on that.

Go to School, have fun. learn. Open a business if you have to and see. Even the great Bills Gates had a business going before he dropped out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tiger

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 8, 2011
Good thoughts Jack.

Let me add though, please don't get yourself in debt to go to college. School debt has now exceeded credit card debt as the top source of consumer debt. You cannot get out from under it, even from bankruptcy.

The world has quickly changed. Universities no longer hold the monopoly on knowledge as they have for centuries. Until the past few years, they were the gatekeepers of wisdom and financial success. No longer. The internet has opened up the books of knowledge to the masses of the world. You no longer need to get into debt, mortgage your future and subject yourself to the sociopolitical brainwashing of university professors to obtain the knowledge you desire.

I'm not saying don't go to college; Just don't get yourself into debt doing it. And don't do it because you think it's necessary to become financially successful today.

Like Jack said, do it for the memories. Do it for the relationships and connections. Do it for the experience and fun. Just don't get into debt.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I thought rumors of your book were just that!

First half is slow lane jobs for slow lane people. Second half is awesome though... an alphabetical listing of several hundred people who made it HUGE with no college degree.

The intro and the alphabetical listing are worth the cost of the book.

:)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
What if you're already over 22, party a lot already and have found yourself in the world. Now you want to get on the road to money as quick as possible to enjoy the fruits while young. Would you still say go to College?

no --- for the most part, there's only 2 reasons to go to college :

1. to postpone adulthood for a while or
2. because you want to enter a field, such as being an automotive engineer, that require it

I am more and more convinced that business degrees are worth almost nothing.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
2. because you want to enter a field, such as being an automotive engineer, that require it

I am more and more convinced that business degrees are worth almost nothing.

Let's say you enter the world of consultancy (can make lots of money there slowlane, make a book about your expertise..or hire employees..to get fastlane), do you think a degree might matter in those cases? Wouldn't a company want to see that you know what you are talking about?

That's probably what you meant with the second?

Tiger

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 8, 2011
There are many things that can be fastlane eventually but there are also fast and slow on-ramps to the fastlane ;)

cilaes

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Mar 3, 2011
What if you're already over 22, party a lot already and have found yourself in the world. Now you want to get on the road to money as quick as possible to enjoy the fruits while young. Would you still say go to College?

I joined the military and didn't get started with college until recently. It's paid for, and I get an extra $1200/m for going to school "full time", and I enjoy the challenge. I was always a horrible student in high school, because I was always more into self-study. I passed classes, obtained the same degree as my peers with A's and B's. Now that I'm a 4.0 student, it kind of adds credibility to my business through the people that know me. Plus, it adds some satisfaction and confidence to my own agenda.

Not to mention, in my situation anyways, it cannot hurt. Any comments?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Let's say you enter the world of consultancy (can make lots of money there slowlane, make a book about your expertise..or hire employees..to get fastlane), do you think a degree might matter in those cases? Wouldn't a company want to see that you know what you are talking about?

I did consulting for Bose (the #1 speaker manufacturer in terms of marketshare in the world). They didn't care what piece of paper (or lack thereof) I had. They wanted what I knew from first hand experience. So, for me... no degree was required. The degree doesn't demonstrate you know ANYTHING. At least half of all people that emerge from 4 year institutions in 5 or 6 years with a degree in hand majored in drinking and volley ball.

The people that generally are impressed with higher education for the most part are other people with higher education. In the United States, 50% of high school kids go on to college. Of those 50% that go into college as Freshman, less than HALF of them ever graduate. So, 25% of the United States population has a degree. Of that 25%, it is estimated that somewhere in the neighborhood of 75% of them are not working in their field of "expertise."

Unless you want a specific vocation that requires it, a degree is not a requirement for 80%-90% of the United States population.

Kuz

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 18, 2012
College is jokes. Depressing waste of time. At 31, i've only kept two solid friends from that period - neither of whome I've seen in more than a year.

Most of the friends i "chill" with are (ex)work colleagues, random roommates, people at my MMA training facility and girls i bang - i.e going out and meeting girls in bars, clubs, the street, internet dating site (on a relentless basis) some broad i bumped into the airport a few weeks ago. etc. etc.

College was a depressing whole that i left me in a mountain of debt, scraping by barely enough to eat - going several days in a row without food cos i was LITERALLLY BROKE, partying way to hard on hard drugs i shouldn't have touched - and, in fact, hardly having any sex at ALL

A desperate lonely time for.

Did a "HIstory" degree - learnt NOTHING that i couldn't have gleaned from watching the Discovery challenge and reading books, which i do avidly anyway.

As for my writing talent which i exploit, yeah, part of that was honed with the sophisticated essay skills I develoiped at uni - but i did not need to be slaughtered for four years to do that.

Mass college education is a SCAM that feeds these overblown university systems with untold wealth

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I joined the military and didn't get started with college until recently. It's paid for, and I get an extra $1200/m for going to school "full time", and I enjoy the challenge. I was always a horrible student in high school, because I was always more into self-study. I passed classes, obtained the same degree as my peers with A's and B's. Now that I'm a 4.0 student, it kind of adds credibility to my business through the people that know me. Plus, it adds some satisfaction and confidence to my own agenda.

Not to mention, in my situation anyways, it cannot hurt. Any comments?

cilaes --- in your situation, I am with you 100%. The fact that it is paid for makes it totally worthwhile. There's NO downside for you.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
where do you live ciales?

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
College is fantastic. As a senior in college majoring in finance I am totally satisfied with the decision. You gain a new perspective in life. Girls everywhere. Partying. Some of the professors were successful entrepreneurs, they help a lot. A shit load of entrepreneur programs. A big a$$ library filled with business books. Very interesting classes(i'm taking RE development this year :)) You become way more liberal(at least for me) lol.

BUT you have to pay attention to the COST. State universities cost around 20k a year to attend; 7k for tuition and 13k for housing. Thats the MINIMUM its gonna cost you except if you go to a community college. If you go private were talking 30-50k a year.

For the most part yeah a business degree is pretty useless. Its not what it used to be. Its not a safety net anymore. Why? The market is so saturated. Business degrees are a dime a dozen for employers.

I totally agree with Jackedwards point that most entrepreneurs think that theyre gonna kick a$$ in business right off the Fckn bat from high school. Some will but most don't. Thats why i think people should take a year off before making a decision.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Where I live, it's not so much about what you study, but more about the prove you have a certain intelligence that comes with a certain type of degree. That means, like Vigilante says, that you might end up in a job which you did not study for in college.

If you are young, you can go to college for free while working on your business with all the free time available. I really think that's the smartest move. The number 1 argument is 'college is a waste of time'. I disagree. I disagree a lot actually. You spend 3/4 years of your time getting a degree. It's not that you work 24/7 on getting your degree. So, how you spend your free time, can be as valueable as you make it. Partying or building a business, your choice. When you are done, most are 22.. 23. What did you lose? Not much. What did you win? First, a degree. You can atleast work a job that pays well if your entrepreneurship dreams fail and you have to provide for your family (or just yourself). Second, you have build a network. Thirth, you have wonderful memories.

I really don't see how so many people can be so against it. I am not convinced.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

College does not teach you how to be a consultant in anything. Experience does.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
I've been graduated from high school for two years now and I must say i am a bit jealous of the college life of my buddies however they are usually getting free rides from parents or are burying themselves in dept.

The sole reason I'd like to go is for the experience. That being said I can hold an intelligent conversation about finances/business with my college bound buddies while my knowledge comes only from books.

So, is having fun worth every penny I've saved up to this point? I have yet to justify that.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
College does not teach you how to be a consultant in anything. Experience does.

I agree. Expierence is ofcourse big in consultancy. When you have been selling product for a decade, people will not look at your degree when you sell yourself as a consultant.

If you are in a different kind of business, lets say, you are a coperate internal auditor, I think you get asked for your degree.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
My name is not a E.D. drug. Mannn, I'll have to get that changed.

Anyways, I'm back and forth. Louisville at the moment. Why?

I wasn't sure if you were in the United States or not... but since you are... THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE to this great country. :thankyousign:

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I wasn't sure if you were in the United States or not... but since you are... THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE to this great country.

I second that. :patriot:

Speaking of service. You can join the Air Force right out of high school for four years and go to a state university full time. You get FREE housing and FREE 4 meals a day at a U.S. air base!! PLUS I think they will pay half of your tuition. So lets say its 3.5k/year times 4 years thats 14k for bachelors degree!!!!

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
I usually steer clear of this discussion, but I'll wade in this time.

Too often I read "I was in school, but it was just a waste of time. I'm going to work on my Fastlane business instead". I'm gonna say 90% of the people that choose to drop out "because it was a waste of time" are just lazy and use the Fastlane Business pursuit as a convenient excuse.

One of the best attributes college graduates have is the badge of "stick-to-it-iveness". It's hard fought credibility. If you complete all the coursework required to get a degree, you've got the moxy to tackle big projects. If you bail out of school, I write you off as a quitter, a loser. Win me back by building a successful business, but know this: that's not what most quitters do. Most quitters just quit.

I'm gonna miss out on thanks from the younger demographic for this, but: High school graduates are typically immature. They're on their way, but they're not there yet. Their judgement can be wildly biased and will swing all manner of random directions. Growing up tempers that. College age is when that transition typically happens. So, college grads have that going for them too - a little more age, some maturity, and the improved judgement that goes along with it.

If, however, at 16 you are wise beyond your years, have a good head on your shoulders, learn quickly, perhaps skipping college is a good option. I can think of a couple examples on this forum that I believe fit this description. I'm astonished how inept many college grads are. We hire junior engineers out of some prestigious universities, and the pickings are pretty slim. There is a lot more value in four years of work than four years of school, but that work has to be at a high level.

So high schoolers and high school grads; if you're that 10% (1%?) that truly, honestly, unreservedly understand what it takes to start a business and are 100% committed to making it happen, if you have real adults urging you to do it and lining up happy to follow you into the breach, then have at it. If you're not, and rest assured you're probably not, then PLEASE don't give up the opportunity to continue maturing in an environment you can prove you have the chops to take on big projects and see them thru. Avoid debt wherever and however you can, but if you have a ride don't squander it being a quitter.

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
This thread reminds me of the "is college a waste of time" thread. These are very generalized premises to declare: "Everyone should go to college!" or "college is a scam, don't go!".

Everyone has a different series of variables that make up their circumstances. The decision to go to college is gonna be different for everyone. The key in making these decisions is to CLEARLY know its marginal benefits(experiences, education etc) and its marginal costs(80 GEES in debt, time, etc). Everyone's marginal costs and marginal benefits are gonna be different.

College is one of those things where correlation does not imply causation. Someone with only a high school degree might be a great fastlaner because of hard work, determination and discipline compared to another high school degree dude who didn't go to college because he was lazy, dumb, unmotivated etc.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Too often I read "I was in school, but it was just a waste of time. I'm going to work on my Fastlane business instead". I'm gonna say 90% of the people that choose to drop out "because it was a waste of time" are just lazy and use the Fastlane Business pursuit as a convenient excuse.

This.

If you don't wanna put the work in to complete a degree, what makes you think that you'll put in the work to build a business?

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
To tell a target audience of 18-22 that college is a waste of time, in a phase of their life so easily influenced, is pretty dangerous.

I am sure a lot of entrepreneurs finished their college, worked hard and made money slowlane and then went fastlane. The same as a lot of entrepreneurs did it without going to college. It's not a key element to be succesful, going to college. Making money is a key element to be able to have a comfortable life.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
To tell a target audience of 18-22 that college is a waste of time, in a phase of their life so easily influenced, is pretty dangerous.

I am sure a lot of entrepreneurs finished their college, worked hard and made money slowlane and then went fastlane. The same as a lot of entrepreneurs did it without going to college. It's not a key element to be succesful, going to college. Making money is a key element to be able to have a comfortable life.

I agree. You have to remember that there are many people here that think it will be easy to be an entrepreneur. It is hard and most give up. My take is, if you have no business activity going on, GO, but go cheaply. If you get something started you can always quit and if that doesn't work out you can always go back.

Personally. I would rather be a waiter on the weekends to hold my head up and work on a business during the week than ever working a 9-5 slowlane salaried job that my degree can get me. So for ME (not everyone) college was pointless, but I have a degree, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I may be wishing I had one if I didn't.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.