The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION Giving local workshops

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
www.andyblack.net
I'm working up to giving some local workshops. Thought I'd start a progress thread, but please feel free to chip in if you're already doing this or thinking of doing it.

Why?
  • I enjoy it.
  • I'll see what resonates with the attendees.
  • I'll get to hone the workshop down and maybe create an online version.
  • I'll get to know local business owners.
  • I'll start to get known locally (I'm known more online in forums and Facebook groups).

Step 1: Last week I mentioned on Facebook and LinkedIn that I was thinking of giving a 1 day Google Ads workshop for €350. I've 550+ connections on Facebook and 11,000+ on LinkedIn. I had someone mention they were interested on Facebook, and someone on LinkedIn. They're people I've been on (paid) business courses I also attended, so already know me in person.

Step 2: Realise I'm not well known enough locally for folks to just drop €350 on a Google Ads workshop. Go to my original plan which is to do a FREE (or €20) workshop for a couple of hours. I don't know whether to do it in the day or the evening.

Step 3: Suddenly a free 2 hour workshop pops up in front of me in a Facebook group of Irish business owners. It runs tomorrow evening, is an hour away from me, and is for "Facebook and Instagram for Business". I'll take my stepson and get to learn that stuff, and see how a free workshop is run. I booked via an event platform here in Ireland called EventBrite.ie. Nice... I don't even need to have a website or landing page to do this.

Last edited:

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

Siddhartha

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 30, 2019
Giving workshops and teaching opportunities always seem so dope.
You get to hone what you know, look like a pro, and make friends while potentially even getting paid for it.

Watching this thread.

NewbieBrit

New Contributor
May 27, 2019
London
I guess you gotta look at the long game - if you can add value up front and covey you’re bloody good at what you do then cost is outweighed by value and it’ll be a no brained for them to engage with you!
Just my view but has worked a few times in the past for me...
Look forward to hearing how it goes
Best
Cam

Jeff Noel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
jfnoel.com
About that Step #2, I can relate: My girlfriend is offering consulting services for web marketing and whenever she does a "Free advice" day, she's getting flooded.

Gotta remember free leeches don't always become customers though.

NewbieBrit

New Contributor
May 27, 2019
London
About that Step #2, I can relate: My girlfriend is offering consulting services for web marketing and whenever she does a "Free advice" day, she's getting flooded.

Gotta remember free leeches don't always become customers though.
Agreed! That’s on you though to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff! I’ve fallen foul a few times!

reedracer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
Give great value in your free workshop... well worth their time. Offer a limited Master mind group to hold their hand as they implement your teaching.

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
www.andyblack.net
Thanks everyone.

Yes, screening for the people in motion could be important.

I’m tempted to put a small fee on it to deter the freebie seekers.

If I hold it during work hours then I think it will be more likely to get business owners attending too. Not sure. I gave a course during office hours one time and it was full of employees who had no interest in being there. That was hard work.

I’ll see what tomorrow’s workshop is like and report back.

Matt Hunt

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2019
Following! I agree, think a small fee may deter the leeches.
But even if you do it for free, it'd be great PR, and I'm sure you'll still have several attendees who decide it's too much work for them to do themselves, and guess who will be top-of-mind for them to hire to do it?

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
www.andyblack.net
Following! I agree, think a small fee may deter the leeches.
But even if you do it for free, it'd be great PR, and I'm sure you'll still have several attendees who decide it's too much work for them to do themselves, and guess who will be top-of-mind for them to hire to do it?
Good point about free being great PR. I’ll bear that in mind!

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

Bertram

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Oct 25, 2015
Maine, Arizona, Kunshan
I'm working up to giving some local workshops. Thought I'd start a progress thread, but please feel free to chip in if you're already doing this or thinking of doing it.

Why?
  • I enjoy it.
  • I'll see what resonates with the attendees.
  • I'll get to hone the workshop down and maybe create an online version.
  • I'll get to know local business owners.
  • I'll start to get known locally (I'm known more online in forums and Facebook groups).

Step 1: Last week I mentioned on Facebook and LinkedIn that I was thinking of giving a 1 day Google Ads workshop for €350. I've 550+ connections on Facebook and 11,000+ on LinkedIn. I had someone mention they were interested on Facebook, and someone on LinkedIn. They're people I've been on (paid) business courses I also attended, so already know me in person.

Step 2: Realise I'm not well known enough locally for folks to just drop €350 on a Google Ads workshop. Go to my original plan which is to do a FREE (or €20) workshop for a couple of hours. I don't know whether to do it in the day or the evening.

Step 3: Suddenly a free 2 hour workshop pops up in front of me in a Facebook group of Irish business owners. It runs tomorrow evening, is an hour away from me, and is for "Facebook and Instagram for Business". I'll take my stepson and get to learn that stuff, and see how a free workshop is run. I booked via an event platform here in Ireland called EventBrite.ie. Nice... I don't even need to have a website or landing page to do this.
Could you offer an online live seminar please?

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
www.andyblack.net
Could you offer an online live seminar please?
Well now. That jammed my brakes on.

Thanks for the “shut up and take my money” moment.

Let me figure that out.

Lee H

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 8, 2018
Good luck with this @Andy Black

I'm following with interest as it could be an approach I can adopt for my business...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom