The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From Freelance to Fastlane - 1-5 steps a day, looking for accountability

Aristoss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 11, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Following @fastlane_dad's advise on @NeoDialectic insightful thread,
I'll write here everyday the 5 new steps I'm taking from Freelance to Fastlane.

I'm originally a classical music composer, conductor and pianist, but I recently started a videography freelance business.
I'm barely making ends meet, so my plan is to first do more freelance video jobs in order to have enough peace of mind to start new ventures. I need roughly 1500$ a month for that.

Today I'm doing 2 gigs so I won't have much time to focus on Fastlaning.
However, here I might steps:
1. Since I know very thoroughly the niches I belong to, I'll write down 5 pain points of Composers/Conductors
2. I'll write down at least 2 processes to help me do a better job as a videograph
3. I'll research an idea I had to make a stronger kind of physical product than the one I'm using right now (which everyone is complaining about on Amazon) I have never produced a physical product before. So I don't know where to start to manufacture it. Any idea?
4. I'll talk to at least one of my friends about the pain points they have.
5. I'll buy the hosting for my media company and start thinking of how I wanna do the website.

Voilà,
Talk to you tomorrow!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Aristoss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 11, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
1. 2. 3. and 5. done.
I haven't taken the time to talk to friends about their pain points. Maybe not the most actionable right now?
Talk to you tomorrow.

Aristoss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 11, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Today I managed to only:
1. Think about improving my systems of gathering and deploying my gear on a gig
2. Had a business idea (software)

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
460%
Mar 15, 2018
Talk to @mikecarlooch
May save you some time & pain re: video business.
Good luck.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
349%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Following @fastlane_dad's advise on @NeoDialectic insightful thread,
I'll write here everyday the 5 new steps I'm taking from Freelance to Fastlane.

I'm originally a classical music composer, conductor and pianist, but I recently started a videography freelance business.
I'm barely making ends meet, so my plan is to first do more freelance video jobs in order to have enough peace of mind to start new ventures. I need roughly 1500$ a month for that.

Today I'm doing 2 gigs so I won't have much time to focus on Fastlaning.
However, here I might steps:
1. Since I know very thoroughly the niches I belong to, I'll write down 5 pain points of Composers/Conductors
2. I'll write down at least 2 processes to help me do a better job as a videograph
3. I'll research an idea I had to make a stronger kind of physical product than the one I'm using right now (which everyone is complaining about on Amazon) I have never produced a physical product before. So I don't know where to start to manufacture it. Any idea?
4. I'll talk to at least one of my friends about the pain points they have.
5. I'll buy the hosting for my media company and start thinking of how I wanna do the website.

Voilà,
Talk to you tomorrow!
Talk to @mikecarlooch
May save you some time & pain re: video business.
Good luck.

Hey @Aristoss - I'd like to share a post I made in my INSIDERS progress thread that may help you -

"After reading @Envision 's thread. I puckered up and reached out to someone I look up to who runs a big company with value and hopes of getting a position in the marketing department. Lead with value and have the interview on Monday.

My plan is to do exactly as Roc did.

Work 9-5, gym from 5:30-6:30, 7:00-12:00AM is working on fastlane business.

@Kak 's thread on "Jobs are not giving up" really gave me the push.

I decided that instead of running a video editing business, having to acquire my own customers, everything like that, AND building a fastlane, I would just take the job so that I have no guilt when working on fastlanes that A. are big and risky B. I don't know which one will work C. to have constant predictable capital to test my ideas.

As cuban said, you only have to hit one homerun in business and you're set for life.

I put off jobs of any kind for a long time because my ego was so big, but I now see that if I want to make my fastlane dreams real, if I really want to one day build a billion dollar company, I need to set the ego aside and get the job while taking risks on the side.

I dont want to be satisfied in a video business that eventually makes 40k a month. No. I want to shoot for the moon and go big or go home."

rjdgreat

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 28, 2022
I put off jobs of any kind for a long time because my ego was so big, but I now see that if I want to make my fastlane dreams real, if I really want to one day build a billion dollar company, I need to set the ego aside and get the job while taking risks on the side.

I dont want to be satisfied in a video business that eventually makes 40k a month. No. I want to shoot for the moon and go big or go home."
Collaboration is the better than competition especially when starting out as an ambitious entrepreneur.
pawn to king is way long process brother, one step at a time. May we hit the aim we're locked in. Good luck!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Today I managed to only:
1. Think about improving my systems of gathering and deploying my gear on a gig
2. Had a business idea (software)
Are you putting off engaging the market? You need paying clients to be in business. What will you do to make a sale this week?

Check out @BigRomeDawg 's marketplace ad. He's providing video marketing as a service and doing quite well I believe.

Aristoss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 11, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Hey @Aristoss - I'd like to share a post I made in my INSIDERS progress thread that may help you -

"After reading @Envision 's thread. I puckered up and reached out to someone I look up to who runs a big company with value and hopes of getting a position in the marketing department. Lead with value and have the interview on Monday.

I decided that instead of running a video editing business, having to acquire my own customers, everything like that, AND building a fastlane, I would just take the job so that I have no guilt when working on fastlanes that A. are big and risky B. I don't know which one will work C. to have constant predictable capital to test my ideas.

As cuban said, you only have to hit one homerun in business and you're set for life.

Awesome!
It does apply to my situation :)

The thing is, my strong skills are classical music composing, piano playing and artistic creativity in general. I've been in this business for a while and I (and my ego) don't feel like getting a job with that. That's why I started a freelance video business, so I can potentially earn more while learning about the "real world"

Would you go about getting a job in something else entirely?

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
349%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Awesome!
It does apply to my situation :)

The thing is, my strong skills are classical music composing, piano playing and artistic creativity in general. I've been in this business for a while and I (and my ego) don't feel like getting a job with that. That's why I started a freelance video business, so I can potentially earn more while learning about the "real world"

Would you go about getting a job in something else entirely?
@Aristoss I'm probably not the best person to ask this as I'm also in the weeds trying to figure out this journey.

However, there are many people on this forum who have been there and can help guide people like you and I in the right direction! The key on this forum is to ask questions, you can get amazing responses from great people.

Aristoss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 11, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Are you putting off engaging the market? You need paying clients to be in business. What will you do to make a sale this week?

Check out @BigRomeDawg 's marketplace ad. He's providing video marketing as a service and doing quite well I believe.
Thanks for the prompt!
I've posted here mostly about Fastlane steps.

I've had a few clients in the past weeks, but mostly unpaid, as part of expanding my portfolio.
Today I did a quick job through a marketing agency for a quite wealthy and interesting business owner and I suggested we would meet to shoot stuff, as I didn't feel "good enough" yet to do a hard pitch.

I think if I can get a bigger foot in the door by shooting a nice video for him and then make a pitch.

Steps today:
As I'm still sick, I need a rest, but I will:

1. research other local businesses in the same field aw my last paid customer (high end coaches in self development and meditation) that I could contact when I have something to show for)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for the prompt!
I've posted here mostly about Fastlane steps.

I've had a few clients in the past weeks, but mostly unpaid, as part of expanding my portfolio.
Today I did a quick job through a marketing agency for a quite wealthy and interesting business owner and I suggested we would meet to shoot stuff, as I didn't feel "good enough" yet to do a hard pitch.

I think if I can get a bigger foot in the door by shooting a nice video for him and then make a pitch.

Steps today:
As I'm still sick, I need a rest, but I will:

1. research other local businesses in the same field aw my last paid customer (high end coaches in self development and meditation) that I could contact when I have something to show for)
Why don't you let everyone you know, or have ever worked with, know that you're getting into video editing and ask if they know anyone who needs help?

This might help:

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022
Thanks for the support! What are you working on rn?
In this precise moment of y life i've managed to find a good job that i like, with free weekends, I'm working a lot on my jujitsu at the moment, and I'm studying the guitar more. I'm enjoying the flow right now, managing what life thwos at me in this moment, for now I've stpped doing startups.

Aristoss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 11, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands

By the way, I can't find Kak's "Jobs aren't going away" thread. is it for INSIDERS only?

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
349%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
By the way, I can't find Kak's "Jobs aren't going away" thread. is it for INSIDERS only?

Aristoss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 11, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I edited the title of the tread in order to make it more actionable.
1-5 steps a day sounds more doable and will get me far.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Aristoss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 11, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
How many jobs did you apply to?
I like that!

I posted an announcement today.
I got offered to run a podcast studio, but it doesn't have any client yet and the only gig I did turned out terrible...
So I'm on the look out again!
I'm doing editing gigs now, and it sounds more simple and reliable than running around as a videographer.

1. I reached out to people to offer my services as a musician, editor and videographer again.

Aristoss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 11, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Update:
This is a messy post, but I preferred to follow-up with messiness rather than abandoning this progress thread.

I. I've been doing a few video jobs, but have been thrown off by the inefficiencies and expectations of being more paid/having less friction.

I notice that I love filming and have a great contact with costumers, but when it comes to editing, respecting deadlines, keeping in touch with client, things get tough.

1. I'm considering partnering up with an editor. This could further reduce margins, but would make me more efficient as I would focus on getting good footage consistently.

2. I could also see this as a learning experience and find a way to have a better editing workflow.

II. I'm also looking at music teaching jobs
Tomorrow I'll get Dutch introduction letter proof-checked and will start applying in my city.

III. I have also been playing with the idea of offering coaching/accountability program for composers, as I most deeply understand my/their pain points.

However, I keep stopping myself with limiting thoughts (I don't want to deal with people like me, I won't be able to be consistent, composers don't have money etc.)

Any idea on how to be most actionable with coaching when you have no prior experience and being stopped by these kind of thoughts?

Cheers!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Any idea on how to be most actionable with coaching when you have no prior experience and being stopped by these kind of thoughts?
Just start helping people, with no expectations?

Aristoss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 11, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I've been completing projects, improving my environment and work ethic.
I feel less overwhelmed and slowly start reaching out to more people that need videos.

I still feel that cold emailing or reaching out to friends I haven't spoken to in a while is spammy.
It's hard to remember that it could be useful to them.

Aristoss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 11, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Yesterday I reach out to 7 music schools offering my various services.
It feels hard to focus on one skill or skillset, but I gotta make ends meet this month.

I also took some footage from a festival I shot, edited and sent a free reel to a participant, without much expectation.
I like this way of reaching out. It feels more genuine and follows the "show, don't tell" approach highlighted by
@Andy Black.

Aristoss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 11, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Today so far I wrote to 7 more people offering my accompanying services.
I also asked for help to find a part-time job in my town, which will allow me to have less stress and pressure with my other ventures (freelance/fastlane)

Aristoss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 11, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Today I've got a few more answers and another paid video gig.
and 1 offer to work as an unpaid intern in a marketing agency (3-5 months, at least 3 days a week)
As I'm struggling to pay bills this month, it seems unwise for me to enroll before finding a sustainable income.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
an unpaid intern in a marketing agency (3-5 months, at least 3 days a week)
Yikes. 39-65 days unpaid??

Personally, I'd rather do bits of free work for businesses and build a portfolio and get testimonials.

Hmm... now I think about it, I started out doing bits of free work and still do to this day. I hop on calls almost every week where I consult with businesses for free for an hour or so. I learn a lot, get lots of experience looking inside dozens of accounts a year, and some end up referring clients to me, or becoming clients themselves.

Aristoss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Apr 11, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Yikes. 39-65 days unpaid??

Personally, I'd rather do bits of free work for businesses and build a portfolio and get testimonials.

Hmm... now I think about it, I started out doing bits of free work and still do to this day. I hop on calls almost every week where I consult with businesses for free for an hour or so. I learn a lot, get lots of experience looking inside dozens of accounts a year, and some end up referring clients to me, or becoming clients themselves.
Very valuable answer Andy. It helps clarifying my thoughts.
I am attracted to marketing, but not as en end, and my financial situation wouldn't allow me to take on such a commitment now.

Thanks a lot!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Very valuable answer Andy. It helps clarifying my thoughts.
I am attracted to marketing, but not as en end, and my financial situation wouldn't allow me to take on such a commitment now.

Thanks a lot!
Get paid to learn - in a paying job or with paying clients. Free has it's place, but not as a dogsbody in some sweatshop agency, in my humble opinion. I think they're preying on people desperate to get into the industry. At least pay something.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...