The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From Drop-shipping Wantrepreneur to Fastlane

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Xolorr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
520%
Jun 4, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
Okay, so time for some business progress.

I Made My first sale.

Someone found my site (It's live, but I didn't mean to make any sales) through Google, and bought a product for $35 incl Shipping.

Now, I was not ready for this. I'm currently in London, and all my products are at home, plus I had NO international logistics organized. My instagram is currently inactive with 3 posts on it. I don't know how the dude found my store, BUT it is a huge confidence boost and reassurer that I'm onto a good product. It has been lingering on my mind that my product was not good enough, it'll never sell, etc, but this put all of that to sleep.

I've got a flight booked to Greece on Tuesday, and have accommodation there for a week. I'm currently working on some vlogs which I would like to put out as a way to increase my social brand, and I'm grinding hard on my online presence and my content.

I'm in two minds about carrying on travelling. It would make sense for my YouTube and facebook videos, as it is SO easy to make good content while you're traveling, but I'm also itching to get back home so that I can focus on my business + health, and get back into some form of routine.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Xolorr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
520%
Jun 4, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
Wow.
Wow.
Wow.

I honestly feel like An entirely new person after this trip. I have newfound energy, ambition, and hustle like never before.
Jumping out of my comfort zone with both feet was the best thing I could've ever done.
Period.

I have clarity like never before, and it's unbelievable. I'm back "home" now, and I have so many stories and lessons that I cannot wait to post and share here, but they will have to wait for now. It's too much to process at this point in time, and I want to take my time with it.

For now, I'm going all in on my Ecom that's been brewing for the last month or two, and the sole reason I started this.

To Do:
  • Email every courier service I can find with an office / drop off point in my town. Organize rates, meetings, and finally get the logistics for my products sorted. This is the number 1 priority because without this I can't sell. I'm going to spend the rest of the afternoon (Sunday) researching and writing emails so that by tomorrow morning I should have some replies, and I can then get them on the phone and go through the nitty gritty of this.
  • Double and triple check my site. I know it's not perfect, but there's no such thing as perfect, and if you chase perfection you never get anything finished. Time to throw it out into the market and get feedback. Act, Assess, Adjust.
  • Market, Market, Market. This is key. My demo is hugely into instagram, so that will be the priority. I have realized through various podcasts, etc, how important facebook actually is. I do not use Facebook AT ALL. I hate it for my own social needs, but it will be hugely beneficial to learn it and get effective at it. To start, I'm going to interview and give influencers in my niche my product. I will buy them coffee, ask them a bunch of questions, write a blog post about them, and then take them for a photoshoot, in return for their posting about my business and using my product. This will cost me: A product ($6 actual, $25 opportunity), a coffee ($2), transport ($~) BUT it will be huge for my social presence. My goal is to get all of the big influencers in my region using my product and posting about it. I will then have INSANE content to use in a digital marketing strategy, using facebook and youtube ads. (I think YouTube ads are extremely under used, and will be especially effective for my demographic. I haven't researched the costs of this as of yet. One step at a time.
Amount Earned: $35

Last edited:

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
Wow.
Wow.
Wow.

I honestly feel like An entirely new person after this trip. I have newfound energy, ambition, and hustle like never before.
Jumping out of my comfort zone with both feet was the best thing I could've ever done.
Period.

I have clarity like never before, and it's unbelievable. I'm back "home" now, and I have so many stories and lessons that I cannot wait to post and share here, but they will have to wait for now. It's too much to process at this point in time, and I want to take my time with it.

For now, I'm going all in on my Ecom that's been brewing for the last month or two, and the sole reason I started this.

To Do:
  • Email every courier service I can find with an office / drop off point in my town. Organize rates, meetings, and finally get the logistics for my products sorted. This is the number 1 priority because without this I can't sell. I'm going to spend the rest of the afternoon (Sunday) researching and writing emails so that by tomorrow morning I should have some replies, and I can then get them on the phone and go through the nitty gritty of this.
  • Double and triple check my site. I know it's not perfect, but there's no such thing as perfect, and if you chase perfection you never get anything finished. Time to throw it out into the market and get feedback. Act, Assess, Adjust.
  • Market, Market, Market. This is key. My demo is hugely into instagram, so that will be the priority. I have realized through various podcasts, etc, how important facebook actually is. I do not use Facebook AT ALL. I hate it for my own social needs, but it will be hugely beneficial to learn it and get effective at it. To start, I'm going to interview and give influencers in my niche my product. I will buy them coffee, ask them a bunch of questions, write a blog post about them, and then take them for a photoshoot, in return for their posting about my business and using my product. This will cost me: A product ($6 actual, $25 opportunity), a coffee ($2), transport ($~) BUT it will be huge for my social presence. My goal is to get all of the big influencers in my region using my product and posting about it. I will then have INSANE content to use in a digital marketing strategy, using facebook and youtube ads. (I think YouTube ads are extremely under used, and will be especially effective for my demographic. I haven't researched the costs of this as of yet. One step at a time.
Amount Earned: $35

Hey man happy to hear you are motivated again and pushing kings forward.

What made the sudden switch back from your video business into eCommerce again? Last post seemed like you were gonna go all in on video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xolorr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
520%
Jun 4, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
Hey Bro!

Glad you pointed this out.

I wouldn't say this was a switch at all, as both are going ahead, and before you lose faith in me and think I'm doing too much, they really supplement each other and are mutually beneficial. I've been doing video for a year and a bit now, and I am still going all in on it, but that is my personal brand. I do freelance gigs as a way to get cash and fund my business venture.

I didn't switch at all, I'm going all in on BOTH.
Video and creation is my passion, but I don't want it to be my main income source, which it is at the moment.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
@Xolorr this is a great thread, just noticed it.

Happy for your success and progress. Much respect for setting out to do your own thing.

Hope this is not off-topic, because what you said really inspired me and made my day:

My biggest take away was definitely the value of being resourceful. This dude does this for a living (and gets paid well for it), and he knows a lot less about video and photo than I do. I WAS TEACHING HIM things about content creation. He has very minimal camera gear, which every film/photography student would laugh at the thought of shooting a commercial on

Question for you - would you say a guy with a consumer grade HD camcorder but GREAT ideas could make it work? Or at least something semi-professional is required? Is 4K a must? My thing is also travel but with my own unique spin.

I guess my questions look stupid, but there are things I rock at, like web development, so if you're ever stuck with something, you can PM me:)

Xolorr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
520%
Jun 4, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
@Xolorr this is a great thread, just noticed it.

Happy for your success and progress. Much respect for setting out to do your own thing.

Hope this is not off-topic, because what you said really inspired me and made my day:

Question for you - would you say a guy with a consumer grade HD camcorder but GREAT ideas could make it work? Or at least something semi-professional is required? Is 4K a must? My thing is also travel but with my own unique spin.

I guess my questions look stupid, but there are things I rock at, like web development, so if you're ever stuck with something, you can PM me:)

No question is stupid, and I will definitely take you up on that PM sometime soon!

Bro, a consumer grade camcorder or your damn iPhone is all you need. I make youtube videos, and don't have a lens wide enough to vlog on my main camera, so I use my iPhone for all my talking videos. A gopro is also extremely under rated for what it can do.

Check these out if you don't believe that an iPhone is good enough:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aYOd1mAJXg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNjGkfBphVo&index=2&list=PLrXADhP6uzG5GCp7SCNqscevAk-6y6bZy

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj7AJPijjtQ&index=8&list=PLrXADhP6uzG5GCp7SCNqscevAk-6y6bZy

I don't shoot 4K at all, and when I do, I use it for fake camera movements. All my videos are 1080p and do great. If all you're doing is youtube/insta/facebook (BTW, facebook is HUGE for video. I might make a thread on this once I've found the ins and out of it, and feel I've practiced enough) , 1080P is all you need.

The most important thing is consistency. Stop trying to make your videos perfect, and focus on putting out m0ore videos.

Quantity over quality. Sounds counterintuitive, but in today's digital landscape, it's the only way to win. People are in a never ending scrolling frenzy, and they'll watch your video then just keep scrolling.

Xolorr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
520%
Jun 4, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
Monday 13 August 2018:

Damn. I type A LOT. I kinda just run away with whatevers on my mind. I haven't even reread this thread at all, because it's just too much to go through. I'll try keeping this updated only when something important happens from now on.

Man oh man. Over 2 months since I started this thread. I know I was travelling for a lot of it, but that's just pathetic that I've only made one sale (By mistake) from this.

So what have I been doing this past week? I had a video and photo job in another town. I took my product with, and managed to shoot some great content for my social media outlets during that time. I have about a month's runway for consistent posting of photos on Instagram, so now I need to move on.

I also spent a lot of time emailing couriers. THEY WANT SO MUCH back and forth before you can ship with them. It's honestly retarded. I had a meeting with one today, and have another meeting tomorrow to discuss rates etc.

This has been a huge limiting factor for me, but I'm just going to push past it.
Yupp. I'm just going to start selling, and I'll organize the logistics somehow, even if it works out a bit more expensive.

Oh. Fun fact, I also haven't covered ANY of my legal work.
Whoops.
I'm getting onto that now. I was so naive, thinking I can trade under my name. I'm waiting on the paperwork to go through, but my company will be registered soon.

I'm also trying to get a job!

Wait, whut?

Yeah. I want to get a job at the restaurant near my apartment. It will be part-time, and should pay well. All of the money I earn will be put back into the business. I also drastically need to improve my social skills (They're not bad, but I want to be amazing with people, they are so important in business.) and a job waiting tables at a fancy restaurant should do this. I've also investigated that they have a terrible Instagram and online presence in general, but they're one of the most popular restaurants in town. I'm going to offer to take photos and manage their Instagram for free, and try and add as much value to this business as possible.

To DO:
- Register the company
- Write up influencer blog posts (I have three in the making)
- Meet with courier company 2
- Schedule Instagram posts for the Business account using Hootsuite/planoly/ or similar. I'm aiming to post at least 3 times a week going forward.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Monday 13 August 2018:

Damn. I type A LOT. I kinda just run away with whatevers on my mind. I haven't even reread this thread at all, because it's just too much to go through. I'll try keeping this updated only when something important happens from now on.

Man oh man. Over 2 months since I started this thread. I know I was travelling for a lot of it, but that's just pathetic that I've only made one sale (By mistake) from this.

So what have I been doing this past week? I had a video and photo job in another town. I took my product with, and managed to shoot some great content for my social media outlets during that time. I have about a month's runway for consistent posting of photos on Instagram, so now I need to move on.

I also spent a lot of time emailing couriers. THEY WANT SO MUCH back and forth before you can ship with them. It's honestly retarded. I had a meeting with one today, and have another meeting tomorrow to discuss rates etc.

This has been a huge limiting factor for me, but I'm just going to push past it.
Yupp. I'm just going to start selling, and I'll organize the logistics somehow, even if it works out a bit more expensive.

Oh. Fun fact, I also haven't covered ANY of my legal work.
Whoops.
I'm getting onto that now. I was so naive, thinking I can trade under my name. I'm waiting on the paperwork to go through, but my company will be registered soon.

I'm also trying to get a job!

Wait, whut?

Yeah. I want to get a job at the restaurant near my apartment. It will be part-time, and should pay well. All of the money I earn will be put back into the business. I also drastically need to improve my social skills (They're not bad, but I want to be amazing with people, they are so important in business.) and a job waiting tables at a fancy restaurant should do this. I've also investigated that they have a terrible Instagram and online presence in general, but they're one of the most popular restaurants in town. I'm going to offer to take photos and manage their Instagram for free, and try and add as much value to this business as possible.

To DO:
- Register the company
- Write up influencer blog posts (I have three in the making)
- Meet with courier company 2
- Schedule Instagram posts for the Business account using Hootsuite/planoly/ or similar. I'm aiming to post at least 3 times a week going forward.
To improve social skills check these out:
Youtube channel: Charisma on Command

Books:
How To WIn Friends and Infuence People
Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
The Charisma Myth
Compelling People

These have helped me with my social skills

Xolorr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
520%
Jun 4, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
Want to know what the best sound ever is?

Download the Shopify app on your phone, and make a sale when you are least expecting it.
That's what just happened to me.

Yupp, I made my first proper (And local!!!) sale 5 minutes ago! I'm beyond stoked now!

I'm assuming that the sale came from my activity from my Instagram account. Her email address was already listed from last year during the dropship days, and I think she must've seen the new content and gone about it that way.

So what have I been doing?
  • Googling a crap load about driving traffic and sales (I don't have access to Amazon here in South Africa! So all of my sales need to come through my Online store or Wholesale) I still don't have a solid strategy, so I've been writing up blog posts with what I do have trying to populate the store with content!
  • Posting and engaging on Instagram A LOT! I've been posting high quality images every day via Planoly (Going to switch to something else soon, I used up all the free plan) I've also been following the Gary Vee $1.80 strategy for growth! It's time-consuming, but I love it. I don't stick to the 9 X 10 hashtag rule strictly, but just go on a spree of genuine comments for content in my niche whenever I catch myself mindlessly scrolling (Which is very little ever since I took a break from instagram a while back)
  • Meeting with couriers, setting up accounts, etc.
  • Been working hard for my mentor. He's releasing a digital product, and I've been helping him a lot on that! He asked how much I want him to pay me for the work, but I told him not to worry until it's making him money, from then he can decide based on my value. TBH I'm more than happy doing it for free because I'm learning SO much from him. I think the knowledge and experience will pay back 100X what he would pay me to be a glorified VA. We also confirmed another film job soon, so I'll be going on another overseas trip at the end of September.

Going forward:

I'm very stoked to say that I'll be doing the Udacity Digital Marketing Nano Degree starting tomorrow! If you're wondering how I'm affording this, I'm not. My parents are paying for it, they encourage me to pursue as many qualified courses as possible, especially with the course my life is taking, and they agreed to fund my education (within reason). I saved a lot of money by studying my degree online rather than generic uni, so now I'm using some of that on more specialized skills which I can see myself using long term.

I need to find a solid way to bring in sales to my store! I'm very interested in what I'll learn from Udacity about digital marketing and will save my money for FB ads once I have the knowledge from this course. For now, I'm going to carry on giving a load of products to a load of influencers, do blog posts and photoshoots with them, and get them to spread the word.

I really want to get a job, but I'm struggling to have any structure to my life right now. I get the feeling that my family is getting annoyed with how little they've seen me, and they're nagging me to come back and visit. I'm going to go back early next week and spend time with them, and that will be a week where I will be back in my hometown. After that, it will be the beginning of September. I will be traveling for the last week of September, so I would only be able to work a job for 2 weeks if September. I can't imagine any employer would like me only for two weeks? I got a wake up call today when I was listening to Ray Dalio's book "Principles", and he spoke about how his mom died when he was 19. That's my age. I cherish my family way more than any travel or money, and it made me realize I've been disregarding them in my pursuit for my dream lifestyle, so I need to find the balance between them.

I need to get on top of tracking my expenses, and quickly. Going to research basic accounting tomorrow, and get a spreadsheet set up so that I can keep track of this.

Amount Earned $65

Last edited:

Xolorr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
520%
Jun 4, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
Wow, okay. Everyone probably thinks I've quit by now I can assure you, this is not the case.

I'm just having a rough time juggling everything going on in my life at the moment.
Progress update:
- Been going through the Udacity Digital Marketing nano-degree. Will post a review once I've graduated
- Worked non-stop with my mentor on his website, and helped him launch a digital product. It did €20000 on its first day and is now sitting at €40000 a week later. We are now going to launch a fb ads strategy and other forms of promotion, as well as more products. This was such a crazy experience for me. I worked on it as if it were my own business, and without being paid a cent, and I learnt way more than any money was worth, gained the utmost respect of my mentor, and may get a % of the profit from that.
- I will be going to Egypt and Bali at the end of the month, working on projects with my mentor.
- I made another sale for my Ecom company, tracked all of my expenses, and have begun the process of forming a company. I have also worked with 3 more influencers and will be getting promotion from them in the coming months.
- I will be contacting B&M stores, and selling my products at wholesale through niche stores
- Outsourced transcription of interviews with my influencers on fiverr, and am cleaning up two of those transcriptions into blog posts.

I've also been focusing hugely on my health and fitness, which has had a huge influence on my productivity. I'm feeling more present, clear-minded, confident, and sure of myself than I have EVER experienced before, and have been feeling this way over a period of the last month, not in short-lived bursts.

I have also started to realize now more than ever, that you just have to DO (take action) on something, and you learn that way.

I'm learning many lessons which I had heard before through all of my online mental-masterbation, but have only made sense after experiencing them myself.

The next few months are looking hectic, but I will try keep this as up to date as possible!

Also, I made a thread on my productivity system, which you can view Here!

As well as a couple desktop and mobile backgrounds as motivational reminders, which you can grab in the attachments.

Amount Earned:
$95 Ecom

Attachments

• Jet Desktop.jpg
    Jet Desktop.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Jet Mobile.jpg
    Jet Mobile.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Lambo 2.jpg
    Lambo 2.jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Lambo 3.jpg
    Lambo 3.jpg
    836.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Lambo Desktop.jpg
    Lambo Desktop.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Lambo Mobile.jpg
    Lambo Mobile.jpg
    904.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Travel Desktop.jpg
    Travel Desktop.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Travel Mobile.jpg
    Travel Mobile.jpg
    589.2 KB · Views: 12

Xolorr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
520%
Jun 4, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
Progress:
2 more sales through Ecommerce store
12 sold through wholesale @ 50% off.

Massive thank you to @Scot ! After reading his thread on Wholesaling, I landed this buy 4 hours later. In conversation with 4 other stores regarding more wholesaling. Can't wait for tomorrows business hours to get some responses!

I have 16 days left until I'm away for another month. That should be insane networking wise. I'll be traveling to 2 new countries, and I'm not paying a cent, plus I will earn from the trip. I'm also learning a lot from various marketing resources, and that's enabled me to up my pricing on freelance video work, as well as invest in some new gear. Long term, I want to scale this up into an agency, and start outsourcing a lot of the work.

Revenue:
$305
Profit:
$145

Xolorr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
520%
Jun 4, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
WOW.
Update, I'm sitting in a Mc Donalds in Milan airport, about to board a flight to Egypt, where I will be creating content and being paid for it. I then have a month in Bali before I go back home. I have several other film jobs lined up for when I am home aswell.

It is the weirdest feeling being paid to travel.

I know this goes against the fastlane notion because it is very much "Do what you love", but it sure as hell beats a job!

My online store is slowly ticking, with a sale rollling in every few days. I've also done a consignment deal with a large retailer in my niche, which is doing well.

I have realised that I made a huge error picking this product, and buying so much stock of it. (I literally found a YouTube tutorial explaining how to make my product for <$10, lol ) SO, I know this is not the product or business which will get me to the fastlane, but I have learnt so much from the experience, and I will not stop untill I have doubled my money. I should reach my BE point soon.

I have also met up with a bunch of entrepreneurial minded / creative individuals, and we're planning on being roommates next year, which should create a more motivational and growth orientated environment.

JoshA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Apr 14, 2017
USA
Just posting to let you know that I've been silently following your thread. Keep the posts coming.

Xolorr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
520%
Jun 4, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
Egypt was crazy. The job was for a 5 star resort, and everything was covered, and I had some of the best experiences of my life.

I'm now in Bali, and I have been for around a week. It's crazy here, because there is a huge community of "digital nomads" which I'm meeting and getting to talk to. Everyone is much older than me, which is really cool because
A) they're all amazed I've managed to get to where I am at 19 (even though I don't feel like accomplished anything near what I want to get done)
B) They've all turned into little teachers, and just through conversations, I'm having with everyone. With every successful business owner I meet here, I learn something new. And with my experience with random moments like this, potentially life-changing.

A good example of this is that I was out learning to surf the other day, and a completely random guy asks me: "Hey, where in South Africa are you from?" (he picked it up from the accent)

Long story short, it turns out he owns 30 (major popular) restaurants and a hotel in my city. This dude is doing well. I got his number, both for when I'm back home and I'm in bali, and I've offered to buy him lunch while he's here to talk about business.

Want to know something else that's crazy about all of this?

I know more about business and marketing than a lot of the business owners I've met.

I'm not saying this as a boast, because if you're reading this, you probably know more than them aswell.
Why am I saying this? Because these guys didn't all spend years reading forums and books before they started. They just picked ONE thing and took action on that one thing until it was successful.

^^ This is the biggest lesson I've learnt from my travels so far, and I'm loving every second of this learning process.

Xolorr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
520%
Jun 4, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
Catch up / brain dump:
This year has definitely been the best and most life-changing. In the beginning of this year, I wrote down 3 goals that, at the time, seemed so far out of my reach it was ridiculous. For some of you reading, these goals might sound retarded and tiny, whereas to others they may, as to me in the beginning of this year, sound scary and "life changing".

They were:
- Make $1000 a month by the end of the year
- Get a visible 6 pack
- Go on a self-funded trip (travel)

That was in January. I worked on them practically every day, with a lot of action faking, but less and less as the year progressed.

I started training 3 times a week, cut out sugar, and ate more consciously.
I started taking photos and videos at least 3 times a week. This one is very much "do what you love", but it is my only source of income right now, and it is the easiest to hustle hard on because I'm passionate about it. This is definitely not the end goal for me.
I started networking as much as I could, mostly in the social media space, and did a lot of work for free just to get to meet gatekeepers in certain areas of my life.

By halfway through the year, it did not look like I would reach ANY of these goals.

In the month of November, I have made $1200. Please note, This is not sustainable yet, and this is a problem I've seen with this goal. It's purely chasing money, and while $1000 is a load of money for me, it has had a very little impact on my life. I need to build something with legacy which is more sustainable. I earnt it through freelance filmmaking, my online store (which is barely turning a profit due to neglect, more on that later), and an Instagram hustle, which is a one-off, but I managed to get paid and grow my following.

I also arrived back from a month and a half overseas, completely paid for by others who I was helping with photo and video. This was the most life-changing experience and solidified for me that I need to create a business which I can run from anywhere.

I am also the most confident I have ever been with my body, and am in the best shape of my life. My heath has been slightly derailed since I arrived back because of a weekend of partying with my friends, but I am course correcting, and I have also found a mentor in the fitness space who is going to help me.

The only regret I have this year is not making my goals bigger, and not taking more action.

Going into 2019, I'm going to be 10Xing my goals, and following the Grant Cardone 10x journal method (i don't own the journal, I just like the idea of writing down my goals twice daily) here they are:

• Be earning $10 000 P/M online, location independently.
  • Have 50 YouTube videos on my channel (This is roughly 1 video a week for the year)
  • Help my dad build his online marketing efforts and bring him to a 90% occupancy level, and sell two properties he has on the market. (He is involved in office rentals)
  • Live a healthy lifestyle, working out at least 4 times a week, and training Maui Thai
  • Pass my university exams for the year (I study online)
Looking at these makes me nervous, really nervous.

But, experience has taught me that when I look back on them, I will wish I aimed higher.

Xolorr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
520%
Jun 4, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
So, what am I doing going forward?

Firstly, I need to define my destination and how I'm going to get there. I'm really out of touch with the unscripted /TMF framework, so I am going through unscripted with a fine-toothed comb (Read: Highlighter) and getting that back in my head.

Daily process: Read 10 pages of unscripted and highlight important parts

Don't get me wrong, I've already read unscripted and tmf , but I'm going to treat this like school and STUDY it.

From that $1000 I'm going to buy myself an INSIDERS subscription, and try to absorb and implement that information aswell. The main point here is that I highlight the important parts and actually put them to action.

The biggest issue I'm facing right now is spreading myself too thin.

I get excited easily, and I jump from business to business. I'm also unorganized as hell. You've probably picked that up from this progress thread so far. I don't spend enough time on one project to see it come to fruition. I need to be monogamous to one idea for a year, and I'm giving myself the remainder of this year to close / finish my already established projects.

What projects do I have at the moment?

- My online store, selling a product for $25 that anyone can make at home for $5. I know, I f*cked up. I'm going to push through with this, at least to get rid of my remaining stock. I have ~ 250 units to move, and I will be happy to see them go at BE or even a small loss, but I refuse to just give up on this. This has been self-funded, as it was a dropshipping store turned private label.

- Udacity Digital Marketing course: This falls under education I guess, but I need to graduate this course, and I am a month behind on my projects etc. I get lifetime access to these resources, if I graduate in time, and they are extremely good. The plan was to follow Sean's digital marketing agency guide once I've finished this.

- Videos and personal branding: I'm a small Instagrammer, and I love photography and video work. This is how I've seen most of the success in my few short years. The problem with instagram is that you have to be insanely consistent, which isn't always possible with travel content. The standard is also ridiculously high, and it has No Legacy! You post, it gets consumed, and then it falls into the ever growing abyss of scrolled posts. This is why one of my focuses in this aspect is Youtube, because when people disco ver a youtube channel, they Binge watch a bunch of videos, and your videos can show up as recommended, even if you posted months ago. YouTube compounds, Instagram doesn't.

- Freelancing: Going into 2019, this will be my main source of income. I'm freelancing for my mentor, helping him manage his website, digital products, and marketing. This is a priority, as it is a commitment I have made and will be my only stable source of income, but is very much trading time for money.

Ideas:

- Digital marketing agency
- E-commerce (FBA style, but not with Amazon, will explain later)
- EBook publishing service
- FinTech app

I will go into detail for these Ideas later, and break each down logically and mathematically to decide which to pursue.

Xolorr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
520%
Jun 4, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
As another way to up productivity / remain on track, I want to list out what I ACTUALLY do in a day, because lately a lot of it has gone to waste in a post-travel daze. I've been feeling extremely low energy, and want to get my discipline levels up, and actually, F**king do something instead of wasting my life rations :)

• Woke up at ~ 8AM and instantly checked my phone.

- This needs to change. I only have a small studio flat, but I will charge my phone on the other side of the room, and I also need to buy an alarm clock to actually replace my phone.

• Spent the morning reading through the forum, and replying to random emails.
  • Edited a video for Instagram, nearly finished, but took way longer than it should've.
  • Meditated for 10 mins (Work in progress / habit forming)
  • Snuck into the local university library and caught up on udacity work
  • Had lunch watching Gary Vee content on FB ads
  • Wrote all of the above

What I need to do:

• Approach a bunch of IG Influencers to post about my product
  • Create content around my product for IG
  • Write blog posts for SEO / Content marketing
  • Start building an FB messenger list
  • Edit some photos for a brand
  • Do a freelance photoshoot
  • Edit 4 Youtube videos

I don't really know the point of me writing all this, but it helps give me an objective view on whats happening in my life. :)

Xolorr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
520%
Jun 4, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
Nothing much to add, except that I love the idea @bytecode had about tracking his Pomodoros to become more productive!

I've implemented pomodoros into my work structure, and I love it!

From now on I'll do a lot less mindless ranting about life, and more tracking of work / execution.
I'm going to be logging how many pomodoros I do each day, as long as it's all good with @bytecode for completely stealing his idea!!

Pomodoros: 8
Pretty solid for my first day, but it was definitely the most productive day I've had in a very long time. Caught up on a lot of university projects I was behind on, as well as finished some photo and video projects that were on the backlog. Started organizing an outreach program for the e-commerce business. Found some decent influencers who should promote for free! I'm going to dm all of them tomorrow and see what happens :)

Nick M.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jul 13, 2018
Nothing much to add, except that I love the idea @bytecode had about tracking his Pomodoros to become more productive!

I've implemented pomodoros into my work structure, and I love it!

From now on I'll do a lot less mindless ranting about life, and more tracking of work / execution.
I'm going to be logging how many pomodoros I do each day, as long as it's all good with @bytecode for completely stealing his idea!!

Pomodoros: 8
Pretty solid for my first day, but it was definitely the most productive day I've had in a very long time. Caught up on a lot of university projects I was behind on, as well as finished some photo and video projects that were on the backlog. Started organizing an outreach program for the e-commerce business. Found some decent influencers who should promote for free! I'm going to dm all of them tomorrow and see what happens :)
Go for it!

I've just caught up on your thread and your story is quite inspiring!

And if you find my idea of tracking Pomodoros each day helpful for you, then by all means do it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.