The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From 10 Dollar to 10 Grand Gigs- My 6 month freelance journey.

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Sully1994

Business Development @ Sprout Social
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Nov 5, 2016
Chicago
My freelance writing journey over the span of 6 months:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Hired by a man on Upwork to write articles about Facebook Live Murders.
Strangely, he insisted that they be comedic. Of course, I obliged him.

Pay: $10.00 per article. Well, actually $8.00 after those nasty 20% Upwork fees.

2. Hired to write landing pages and Facebook Ads for a wonderful lady's digital marketing course. She messaged me on FB after seeing one of my posts on @SinisterLex 's FB copywriting page. So thanks Lex. To be honest, I would never have even tried freelance writing had you not planted the idea in my head all those months ago. I owe you.

Pay: $20 an hour

I put in about 10x as many hours as I billed the client for. Gotta deliver value upfront when you're a newbie

3. Hired to re-write an entire website for a startup company in the public transportation industry, in preparation for their Shark Tank episode coming out this Fall.

Pay: $20 an hour. ( Again, I put in way more hours than I billed for).

4. Hired to direct an Ad campaign to raise money and house 24 chronically homeless people in Lake County IL.

Pay: $10,000.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If someone trusts you enough to give you control over how their business is perceived, you OWE them 110% of your effort. When you've created something that delights them, your reward is being able to leverage that success into your next higher paying gig.

I'm not making big bucks yet. That's okay.

I will grow, improve, and serve as many people as I have to until I deserve higher rates.

To new entrepreneurs reading this: Take action. Do something meaningful for someone.

Our life progression is connected in mysterious ways. Every step you take will lead you to your next victory

-even when it's nowhere in immediate sight.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
Our life progression is connected in mysterious ways. Every step you take will lead you to your next victory

-even when it's nowhere in immediate sight.

Nailed it.

It's like the Steve Jobs quote: "You can only connect the dots looking back." If you're taking action (not action-faking), real action...you'll find a path. You won't find a path standing in one spot.

Sully1994

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Nov 5, 2016
Chicago
Nailed it.

It's like the Steve Jobs quote: "You can only connect the dots looking back." If you're taking action (not action-faking), real action...you'll find a path. You won't find a path standing in one spot.

Totally. I try to remind myself that every day. Btw, I love your thread on copywriting! I've been so inspired by your incredible success, and perhaps even more by your transparent accounting of the trials that you went through- and still go through today!

If you're not getting rejected, you ain't trying.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Watching like a hawk. Keep up the phenomenal work!

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
I put in about 10x as many hours as I billed the client for. Gotta deliver value upfront when you're a newbie

Reminds me of this Zig Zigler quote...

"When you do more than you're paid for you'll eventually be paid more for what you do"

Rosie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 14, 2017
United Kingdom
This is flipping awesome! Way to go! I'm just starting out on my freelancing journey. I've written my first landing page, didn't have a clue if what I was doing was right but my client (who happens to be my darling sister) said she absolutely loved it! Such a great feeling. I'm on day 13 of @SinisterLex 's Copywriting Challenge. I'm really enjoying it and really excited for what's to come.

:)

Sully1994

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Nov 5, 2016
Chicago
This is flipping awesome! Way to go! I'm just starting out on my freelancing journey. I've written my first landing page, didn't have a clue if what I was doing was right but my client (who happens to be my darling sister) said she absolutely loved it! Such a great feeling. I'm on day 13 of @SinisterLex 's Copywriting Challenge. I'm really enjoying it and really excited for what's to come.

:)
Fantastic! Congrats on your first big win. Glad you're enjoying the process. And when you get your first random client- someone impartial, with no reason to validate your work , that feeling will be even sweeter.

I was never really confident in my writing ability until that happened for me.

Keep up the great work!!!!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.