The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Freelancing: what skills to learn in 2022?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

The Questioner

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 28, 2021
Hi guys,

I have an idea for a business that I want to start, there is only one problem: I need more money to start it. So I want to earn some extra money with freelancing on Upwork (or similar platforms).

Can you guys maybe give me some tips on what freelancing skill is in demand right now that can also be learned relatively quickly? (I have about two months to learn the skill, at most. Then I have to see how I can make money with it.)

(Regarding the skills I already have: I have a bit of experience with web design. I designed three websites for free for companies where I knew the owners a few years ago, but haven't done anything since.
I also currently earn my money as a content writer in my day job. As English is unfortunately not my first language, I'm not sure if that makes much sense.
I also have experience with Google Ads. I've launched ad campaigns for a good dozen online stores in my day job, writing a few thousand ads and then teaching other people how to do it, although again, the last time I worked with Google Ads was a few years ago.
I also currently do a little bit of video editing, but I have only done that for a couple of months, so I am not really good at it yet.
No idea if those skills are in demand right now. I would also have to polish up and improve those skills first, because I haven't used them in so long. Therefore, my question is whether there are currently skills that would be a better idea for freelancing.)

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I can do all those things, to varying degrees of competence. I consider video editing to be the easiest.
1) content writing - English isn't your native language, so that's a barrier
2) web design is good money, but having an eye for good design is a challenge (at least for me). I default to using prebuilt themes and then doing some light customization. This is great for my needs, but doesn't work well for charging others.
3) Ad Words: I think a fair amount has changed in recent years, so your skills may be out of date. Perhaps others who are more current could chime in.

Video editing is pretty straight forward. You don't even need to pay for software, as Da Vinci resolve is free software and has more than enough features to do some basic editing for smaller channels.

It's also easy to get leads. Go to youtube, search for random topics. Find small channels and offer to do inexpensive work to build a portfolio / your skillset. Then start to climb the ranks.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You can make a living with any of your skills. Go find some clients and brush up on those skills by doing the work?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hi guys,

I have an idea for a business that I want to start, there is only one problem: I need more money to start it. So I want to earn some extra money with freelancing on Upwork (or similar platforms).

Can you guys maybe give me some tips on what freelancing skill is in demand right now that can also be learned relatively quickly? (I have about two months to learn the skill, at most. Then I have to see how I can make money with it.)

(Regarding the skills I already have: I have a bit of experience with web design. I designed three websites for free for companies where I knew the owners a few years ago, but haven't done anything since.
I also currently earn my money as a content writer in my day job. As English is unfortunately not my first language, I'm not sure if that makes much sense.
I also have experience with Google Ads. I've launched ad campaigns for a good dozen online stores in my day job, writing a few thousand ads and then teaching other people how to do it, although again, the last time I worked with Google Ads was a few years ago.
I also currently do a little bit of video editing, but I have only done that for a couple of months, so I am not really good at it yet.
No idea if those skills are in demand right now. I would also have to polish up and improve those skills first, because I haven't used them in so long. Therefore, my question is whether there are currently skills that would be a better idea for freelancing.)

Thanks.

Video editing is the easiest sell out of all of those on Upwork. You don't need to be great at it. I would start immediately and spend the next 2 months learning to sell yourself and how to create value for clients.

Content Writing has an enormous amount of competition for the lowest possible rates. If you don't mind low rates, you might be able to get a foot in the door, but it won't be easy to make worthwhile money.

Web design is good if you skip Upwork and source clients elsewhere. You'll get lowballed on Upwork and clients will be hard to come by.

Google Ads... no Upwork client is hiring a new freelancer to handle Google Ads unless you bring a massive portfolio with proof that you can get the client results. Better to find clients locally, through LinkedIn, or some other means.

Generally speaking, ALL freelance skills are in demand. It is possible to make money with anything that anyone needs help with. The hard part is answering why should they hire you over someone else?

The Questioner

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 28, 2021
Video editing is the easiest sell out of all of those on Upwork. You don't need to be great at it. I would start immediately and spend the next 2 months learning to sell yourself and how to create value for clients.

Content Writing has an enormous amount of competition for the lowest possible rates. If you don't mind low rates, you might be able to get a foot in the door, but it won't be easy to make worthwhile money.

Web design is good if you skip Upwork and source clients elsewhere. You'll get lowballed on Upwork and clients will be hard to come by.

Google Ads... no Upwork client is hiring a new freelancer to handle Google Ads unless you bring a massive portfolio with proof that you can get the client results. Better to find clients locally, through LinkedIn, or some other means.

Generally speaking, ALL freelance skills are in demand. It is possible to make money with anything that anyone needs help with. The hard part is answering why should they hire you over someone else?

Thanks for the valuable insights. After what @lowtek and you wrote, I will go the video editing route.

Any tips on how to learn to sell and create value for clients?

I am curious: How would you answer, why a client should hire you over someone else?

Ywan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Dec 3, 2018
@Lex DeVille
I have a question concerning freelance skills. What is your opinion on translation services? Is it similar to content writing with an enormous amout of competition and low rates (if one translates from english to german)?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thanks for the valuable insights. After what @lowtek and you wrote, I will go the video editing route.

Any tips on how to learn to sell and create value for clients?

I am curious: How would you answer, why a client should hire you over someone else?

There are a lot of threads on both of those topics on this forum.

SIDE HUSTLE - Tips for Getting Started on Upwork in 2022 & Beyond...

NOTABLE! - SIDE HUSTLE - Lex DeVille's 2019-22 Step-By-Step Upwork Tutorial for Brokeass Bootstrap Beginners Who Need Cash Now!

How I answer the question is way different from how you will. I've used Upwork for almost 10 years, have enormous social proof, and sales and mindset skills that give me an edge.

You have to come up with something that will make you valuable compared with others. Sometimes that means targeting a niche, sometimes it's faster delivery, sometimes it means accepting rates way too low for the work and time, etc.

Try to put yourself in the client's shoes. See the world from their eyes. They want to snag a good deal on video editing. What problem are they trying to solve? What would the *ideal* solution to that problem look like? How can you become that?

@Lex DeVille
I have a question concerning freelance skills. What is your opinion on translation services? Is it similar to content writing with an enormous amout of competition and low rates (if one translates from english to german)?

Translation is usually a good skill. There's a lot less competition than with writing. Less people can do it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.