The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

For those who haven't made a sale yet...

AnonMV

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
May 15, 2023
Mumbai, India
When will you find out the answer to this void? When will you determine whether the product is of value to the target market?
Over the course of this month. By July 1st, I will have made my first sale.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Over the course of this month. By July 1st, I will have made my first sale.
How long does it take to do it? Hope you don't take unnecessarily long on something people won't need.

Can you test at the end of the week? You don't need to sell. Test if someone wants what you are offering.

Tomco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 9, 2023
Thanks for the reply @Andy Black. So, back to the drawing board.

I suggest you stop thinking about an app and just start helping folks?

What I'm getting here is that I'm too focused on building or creating. It's better if I start interacting more, online (like this forum) or in person. Then let the people I interact with decide where to go. So instead of focusing on a sale, I should just genuinely be present and aware?

Thanks for the related material aswell.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Tomco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 9, 2023
So basically, stop thinking about the what (build an app) and how (programming languages) but who (others who are similar in my situation) and why (overall kindness to others, since I've already been there so I could help ease the situation for them).

This could be achieved by fixating a singular large goal (Help others) where the other steps fall into place (great example btw on the chain, helped me to change my posture as well!). So then I should interact more to help more.

So, now my focus needs to be to help others more often then.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So basically, stop thinking about the what (build an app) and how (programming languages) but who (others who are similar in my situation) and why (overall kindness to others, since I've already been there so I could help ease the situation for them).

This could be achieved by fixating a singular large goal (Help others) where the other steps fall into place (great example btw on the chain, helped me to change my posture as well!). So then I should interact more to help more.

So, now my focus needs to be to help others more often then.
BINGO.

WHAT you're doing and WHY is more important than HOW.

Who will you help, what will you help them with, and how will you do it?

Is what you're doing now helping anyone?

Can you invoice anyone for what you're doing?

When we get fixated on a HOW (build a website), we miss the chance to help people and get paid without a website.

Here's an example of how quickly you can test the market (albeit I obviously have a following of people who know, like, and trust me, and see me as an expert in Google Ads):

Also, here's a video and a radio interview describing how I got started in my current business:

Tomco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 9, 2023
Lots to take in from this one, let's see:

Who will you help, what will you help them with, and how will you do it?

This question is a challenging one...

I guess this is the specific problem / specific person scenario Tony talked about.

I think I'll focus on people with a specific problem, specifically, want good results but don't know where to start (hence why I shared recipes, why I tried YouTube as well).

I'll do it by explaining (either written or verbally) in simple terms that they are familiar with

Is what you're doing now helping anyone?

Yes, at least I think so.

The YouTube thing I started, I got some likes on a video that I took seriously and put in extra effort.

Those recipes I compiled together, colleagues come up to me telling me how I saved them time and effort.

Can you invoice anyone for what you're doing?

I think this could be another mental hurdle blocking the way. I don't feel like charging money for what I do. Need to work more on this one as well.

Thank you!

Jose huzaifah

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Apr 1, 2023
Let's help those who haven't made a sale yet.

For those who haven't made a sale yet, reply below with what you're struggling with.

In the meantime, here's some questions for you to ponder:

1) What currently keeps a roof over your head?

2) What do people already come to you for help with?

3) If someone had a gun to your head and said you need to make a sale this week then what would you do?

4) If money was no object what work would you be doing?
Basically, to be honest I am struggling with the confidence of myself and overwhelmed with the thoughts of having imposter syndrome.. That makes me overthinking about the competition and the demand for my product. And perhaps the thoughtd of not yielding any result, by wasting time.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Basically, to be honest I am struggling with the confidence of myself and overwhelmed with the thoughts of having imposter syndrome.. That makes me overthinking about the competition and the demand for my product. And perhaps the thoughtd of not yielding any result, by wasting time.
I think you're overcomplicating what business is. You have something of value that people want to pay for. The market doesn't care whether you're overwhelmed or suffering from imposter syndrome.

What are people already spending money on? Can you deliver it too?

Jose huzaifah

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Apr 1, 2023
I think you're overcomplicating what business is. You have something of value that people want to pay for. The market doesn't care whether you're overwhelmed or suffering from imposter syndrome.

What are people already spending money on? Can you deliver it too?
Yupp totally. They spent on courses and things that me myself spent it. I guess I can deliver it too.. Thanks Andy!

May God bless you, love your podcast.

lizzy 94

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 3, 2023
I have an idea for a restaurant for people with autoimmune digestive problems but I need help finding start up financial help because I don't have any money of my own.. can anyone help point me in the right direction for a good startup business loan... for people with a min credit score of 600

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I have an idea for a restaurant for people with autoimmune digestive problems but I need help finding start up financial help because I don't have any money of my own.. can anyone help point me in the right direction for a good startup business loan... for people with a min credit score of 600
What worries me is you want to get a loan for a "startup idea". Have you made any sales yet to people with autoimmune digestive problems?

lizzy 94

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 3, 2023
What worries me is you want to get a loan for a "startup idea". Have you made any sales yet to people with autoimmune digestive problems?
so im in this business paradox where i need the business to sell things to people but i need sales to get the business up and running.. so if business funding isnt my next step what is my next step after making a detailed business plan... please help

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
so im in this business paradox where i need the business to sell things to people but i need sales to get the business up and running.. so if business funding isnt my next step what is my next step after making a detailed business plan... please help
I'm curious. Have you helped many people with autoimmune digestive problems? Have any of them paid for help yet?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
In two years from now I will be in a much better position, not worse. The product I intend to sell (myself) will be sold astronomically easier with what I will have then than if I tried to sell myself now. I appreciate the uplifting words but I try not to be swept away by sensationalism. This "GO GO GO HUSTLE GRIND RISK IT ALL NOTHING TO LOSE LIFE OR DEATH" mentality is truly overplayed. I think it's foolish to quit my job and dive all in. Why not wait, continue with the job, start once I'm ready whilst still working the job?

I do have a plan. It's less vague than "2 years" from now but I use that time frame as an example as it's easier to understand from the outside looking in. In the meantime I intend on improving my shape and competing at least once. I'm willing to let this take time.

Is it monotonous to reserve myself to being a Security Guard for the next 2 years? Absolutely. But I genuinely look at bodybuilding as my one and only goal in life at the moment. One that I eventually intend to monetize beyond $100k a year. I live and breathe nothing but bodybuilding. I research it all day, read, watch videos, think about it, prep for it, train, and talk about it. I know in time that I will be successful in the field as I'm completely devoted. But I wish to be my version of ready, and that isn't now.

I realize this is the fastlane forums, but it also depends on what your idea of success is. For example, if I could make a Security Guard salary being a bodybuilder full-time, I'd consider that success as I'd get to do what I love for a living. I know there's a chance for an income far greater than that but my bare-minimum ambition is in close reach.
I agree with the guy who says to do it now. You have no idea what can happen in the next two years. I could list the bad things that can happen, but I rather concentrate on the good stuff you could put together during those years. UNLESS you have a plan to use the security job to have the time at work to complete a degree or something. I've seen students take that type of job because they man a front desk or a chair and spend all of their time studying while getting paid to sit there.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
It does not feel like you are pointing in any direction. You are pointing at me and saying what I do is wrong. No pointers.
You posted last month and you were pretty depressed. How are you doing? Better? Did you get some help?

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
You posted last month and you were pretty depressed. How are you doing? Better? Did you get some help?
Did better for a while, but things are getting ... overwhelming again. There is just too much going on. Too many things demanding time and energy.

Besides sticking to going to sleep at 10 pm more strictly and saying no to a few things, I think I need to make some painful decisions.

There probably is just no way I can keep my workout routine going and stay sane.
I might have to give up on language learning as well.
I spend too much time following AI developments.

This means that out of my 4 dream goals in GoalSumo.com, only the business one will survive.
Networking and socializing will be on hold for 5+ years, party tricks (currently piano and languages) will be reduced significantly and the material goals will also not play much of a role.

Pretty bitter pill to swallow, still trying to get used to the thought.

Edit: The book project is not dead, it just swallows more time than I would like and I spend too much time elsewhere. Is it possible to attach the current state of the "Drawing Heads" project?

Attachments

• DrawHeads_20230604.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
There probably is just no way I can keep my workout routine going and stay sane.
I spend too much time following AI developments
Perhaps you are trying to juggle too many eggs or balls.

Focus may work.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Did better for a while, but things are getting ... overwhelming again. There is just too much going on. Too many things demanding time and energy.

Besides sticking to going to sleep at 10 pm more strictly and saying no to a few things, I think I need to make some painful decisions.

This means that out of my 4 dream goals in GoalSumo.com, only the business one will survive.
Networking and socializing will be on hold for 5+ years, party tricks (currently piano and languages) will be reduced significantly and the material goals will also not play much of a role.

Pretty bitter pill to swallow, still trying to get used to the thought.

Edit: The book project is not dead, it just swallows more time than I would like and I spend too much time elsewhere. Is it possible to attach the current state of the "Drawing Heads" project?
I ask myself all day, "What can I do at this moment to further my goal of ______?" Today, this exact moment, is all we really have. Keep swinging.

Last edited:

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL

For those who haven't made a sale yet, reply below with what you're struggling with.

3) If someone had a gun to your head and said you need to make a sale this week then what would you do?

Some thoughts about where I am vs. the original ask by Andy:

I have "made" sales before, but it's been a while and it's been tightly related to my day job (engineering).

Examples:
Was tasks to do preliminary redesign of a large component. Was the only person doing work, with a light touch of guidance. Sat down in front of reps for large aerospace manufacturer and sold our capability by doing quick calculations on the fly to resolve problems. Our company ended up getting over a year of work (somewhere in the mid 7 figures). Unfortunately, I was an engineer so no commission on that...

Did get some small affiliate marketing going but stopped.

Full time employment as an engineer. Hard to let go of as it's good money for the area, fully remote, and mostly enjoyable

At work I have a pretty broad experience in my field and people come me for historical understanding of why designs are the way they are. But, due to the type of work, it's filled with NDAs as well as other limits of what I can share. It would be very interesting to other people I think but it's hard to deliver for other people than my employer without crossing a line. I'm wary about having lawyers crawl all over me with that stuff. It was hard earned and I'm well respected for that though.

I would probably throw a template together of improved websites, and a new website for someone I know doesn't have one, and use the earlier one as a small portfolio. I could also probably figure out how to get some form of affiliate sale with my existing channels in one way or another.

Probably out on the ocean sailing somewhere, up in the mountains hiking, or maybe even building and designing something more interesting to me with less bureaucracy to deal with.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
While working on the book I've started a Twitter account that I will use to promote it later. Hard to find an angle with tags that people actually search for. Guess few people are looking for #reference and #art. Will try #howtodraw next, but this part of Twitter might be pretty smol. I'm trying to provide something and get a feel for what people are actually looking for (ordered the domain greatartref.com): https://twitter.com/greatartref

The filesize has escalated quickly. This is a 300DPI (instead of 600) version and still 7MB. Must do some math and research what people will actually tolerate. Not sure what the policy is regarding attachments here, might have to check.

Not happy with how the reference images are arranged next to each other. Might have to eliminate the grid to make it flow better. IMO it seems cheap the way it is.

Attachments

• DrawHeads_20230604_3_smol.pdf
    7.7 MB · Views: 6

DW85014

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Feb 10, 2022
While working on the book I've started a Twitter account that I will use to promote it later. Hard to find an angle with tags that people actually search for. Guess few people are looking for #reference and #art. Will try #howtodraw next, but this part of Twitter might be pretty smol. I'm trying to provide something and get a feel for what people are actually looking for (ordered the domain greatartref.com): https://twitter.com/greatartref

The filesize has escalated quickly. This is a 300DPI (instead of 600) version and still 7MB. Must do some math and research what people will actually tolerate. Not sure what the policy is regarding attachments here, might have to check.

Not happy with how the reference images are arranged next to each other. Might have to eliminate the grid to make it flow better. IMO it seems cheap the way it is.
Keep moving forward. A client likes to send that back to me when I'm updating him on stats or ads or strategy or whatever.

The first few attempts don't have to be perfect as long as you are moving forward and getting better as you go.

Keep moving forward.

ajakupi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jun 1, 2023
Croatia

My entreprenur endaveour doesn't still need sales but it needs emails.
1) I work 2 jobs: family restaurant business (only during summer) and software engineer
2) Not really sure about this question, but in terms of myself: school collegaues ask me for software advice because I am one of the best in our class and generaly I am abititous. In terms of my business, they don't put their emails much.
3) Push ads? Refine the website?
4) I would probably do software and hardware (which I don't know yet), because my ultimate goal is to create a space mining industry.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My entreprenur endaveour doesn't still need sales but it needs emails.
1) Is it a business if it doesn't make sales?

2) What's your goal for getting emails?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

Do less, but still do something. Don't try to grow muscle, or lose weight, or anything like that. Keep the habit intact. Aim for small progression to keep things interesting. One more rep. That's all.

Maintain the languages you wish to maintain and don't commit to learning a new one yet. If you got to B1 or higher in a language, just reading a little every day will be enough to maintain it.

How can you use that time to your benefit? What AI can you implement right now to help you achieve your goals?

Networking and socializing will be on hold for 5+ years

Why? Network with people who will support your goals.

You have lots of goals which is great but you cannot expect to achieve them all at the same time. You'll just end up juggling too much and you'll get nowhere in any of them.

My guess for you is that you're financially comfortable since you have a corporate job that pays your bills. You just know you want to do bigger and better things. You want to be a fit rich polyglot musician with an awesome social life but you're stuck in the patterns of a dude who doesn't believe in himself and can't stick to shit. All of those things you want take time and there's a reason why these types of people are so rare.

What you want is possible, it's just not possible soon. Start with the thing that you find the most important. That doesn't mean deleting all your GoalSumo.com goals, it just means focusing your monthly and short-term goals on only the thing you find most important. When you achieve them, then start moving forward on the other goals.

ajakupi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jun 1, 2023
Croatia
1) Is it a business if it doesn't make sales?

2) What's your goal for getting emails?
I am currently in Proof (Soft) phase.
My websites purpose is to turn visitors in subscribers by joining the waitlist for the product. I am doing this so I can refine my product and website and it is a proof that there is demand.
MY WEBSITE

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My websites purpose is to turn visitors in subscribers by joining the waitlist for the product. I am doing this so I can refine my product and website and it is a proof that there is demand.
MY WEBSITE
Can you start closer to the end and get into conversation with people rather than add them to an email list? Or have you already had many conversations with people?

ajakupi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jun 1, 2023
Croatia
Can you start closer to the end and get into conversation with people rather than add them to an email list? Or have you already had many conversations with people?
Could you be more specific? I feel like I am missing something.

Do you mind in terms of somekind form where user would send some feedback or something else.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Could you be more specific? I feel like I am missing something.

Do you mind in terms of somekind form where user would send some feedback or something else.
How many people have you been in conversation with?

Fasted

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 18, 2021
UK
MY WEBSITE
You spelt ingredients wrong. I rate the can graphics, that’s cool. Will it taste like white monster ultra? I love that stuff but pretty sure that it’s slowly killing me

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.