The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First Post

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
Most of what I learned about investing in apartments came from two books. It seems that combined, they would make a lot of sense and be benefitial to others. But, I like to golf and workout.

I like to own tropical islands where various models from around the world come to compete for the honour of being one of my many concubines, and workout.

*Sits back and waits 8 years for it to come true*

What's that? it involved hard work? Ok please revise to "I like to dream about owning tropical islands...etc"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

iAmTrade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 28, 2015
New Jersey
Most of what I learned about investing in apartments came from two books. It seems that combined, they would make a lot of sense and be benefitial to others. But, I like to golf and workout. There are still investments to be made. I would have to sacrifice something. :D

We can focus on reading MJ's book. I would enjoy seeing the content as we have taken very different paths.
Would it be okay to ask as to what books you have read? If possible just pm me if you don't want to state the books publically.

I understand you gain nothing from sharing information but I would love to learn more about it all. I broker deals, usually for large quantities of items and have become aware of a coal-mine being sold in North America. I do not believe you have had experience in something like this, but I would consider it "real estate" :) and perhaps you can share your wisdom on the matter.

The client I have can either buy the coal monthly for his requested 5 year contract (how they originally approached me) or (and as I suggested), the organization should buy their own coal mine, outsource development and mining and ensure themselves a great supply of coal about 50x more than what they are going to pay for-for 5 years, when they can just buy the coal mine entirely at the price of the 5 year coal contract quantity and ensure themselves greatly. (Not sure if this makes sense.)

Any insights/thoughts etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading @SteveO

From iAmTrade

Eagerly awaiting a reply even if a negative one towards me.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Would it be okay to ask as to what books you have read? If possible just pm me if you don't want to state the books publically.

I understand you gain nothing from sharing information but I would love to learn more about it all. I broker deals, usually for large quantities of items and have become aware of a coal-mine being sold in North America. I do not believe you have had experience in something like this, but I would consider it "real estate" :) and perhaps you can share your wisdom on the matter.

The client I have can either buy the coal monthly for his requested 5 year contract (how they originally approached me) or (and as I suggested), the organization should buy their own coal mine, outsource development and mining and ensure themselves a great supply of coal about 50x more than what they are going to pay for-for 5 years, when they can just buy the coal mine entirely at the price of the 5 year coal contract quantity and ensure themselves greatly. (Not sure if this makes sense.)

Any insights/thoughts etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading @SteveO

From iAmTrade

Eagerly awaiting a reply even if a negative one towards me.
The books that I learned from are old but still relevant. The examples would be using outdated numbers though.

How to Buy and Sell Apartment Buildings by Eugene Vollucci discusses market cycles and how to buy at the right place at the right time.

The Complete Guide to Buying and Selling Apartment Buildings by Steve Berges. He talks about the value play and how to buy distressed properties with the intent to make them operate better.

Some of us might be adventurous enough to evaluate the ownership of a coal mine. It seems that your client would need to know how much it would cost for the company they contract with to supply them with product.

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
The books that I learned from are old but still relevant. The examples would be using outdated numbers though.

How to Buy and Sell Apartment Buildings by Eugene Vollucci discusses market cycles and how to buy at the right place at the right time.

The Complete Guide to Buying and Selling Apartment Buildings by Steve Berges. He talks about the value play and how to buy distressed properties with the intent to make them operate better.

Some of us might be adventurous enough to evaluate the ownership of a coal mine. It seems that your client would need to know how much it would cost for the company they contract with to supply them with product.
You could say again the numbers have changed...lol

I just evaluated a deal in at best a secondary market in mid-West yesterday. My strike was plus or minus $7 mil. Called the broker - the seller wants $10 mil +. And you know what - they'll more than likely get very close in today's market. So - question:

Is there no rationale in this marketplace, or is there rationale but it is totally different from mine? I have my own opinions, as you know...:)

iAmTrade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 28, 2015
New Jersey
@SteveO Thanks on the reply and the book suggestion. Will pick them up.

I think the thing that turns away most people from the sale of rather- in my opinion, extraordinary properties, is the paperwork and research required for it all to be made possible. Definitely will take more than myself working on a deal like this and time of which I am currently diverting to other things I can forsee myself a broker to, in the short term.

@Everyone else here...if you read this and have experience, insights etc, feel free to get in touch with me through PM.

Thanks again SteveO. Appreciate it.

iAmTrade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 28, 2015
New Jersey
You could say again the numbers have changed...lol

I just evaluated a deal in at best a secondary market in mid-West yesterday. My strike was plus or minus $7 mil. Called the broker - the seller wants $10 mil +. And you know what - they'll more than likely get very close in today's market. So - question:

Is there no rationale in this marketplace, or is there rationale but it is totally different from mine? I have my own opinions, as you know...:)
When it comes to selling- and in my experience- price is the easiest thing to manipulate, by using things you can't change to manipulate it.

Find what the buyer secretly wants- and they'll hand over the $ for it. Price is "never" the issue, look into Grant Cardone's teachings :)

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
When it comes to selling- and in my experience- price is the easiest thing to manipulate, by using things you can't change to manipulate it.

Find what the buyer secretly wants- and they'll hand over the $ for it. Price is "never" the issue, look into Grant Cardone's teachings :)
Ha - the problem is that as a buyer I know how much shit costs. There's no magic to running apartments - most costs are fixed to a great extent. Therefore, my price is reflective of my projections of what the dynamics will be - the trailing pro forma matters but not for underwriting the financials.

but, there are different buyer in the world with differing objectives. Cardone's are very different from mine :)

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
my price is reflective of my projections of what the dynamics will be - the trailing pro forma matters but not for underwriting the financials.
But you already said it yourself... this is a crazy market and prices are not reflecting real operation cost but perceived potential appreciation.

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
But you already said it yourself... this is a crazy market and prices are not reflecting real operation cost but perceived potential appreciation.
In multifamily space the current high prices have less to do with potential future appreciation and more with the underlying need for big money (which is leverages at really cheap cost) to achieve yield - any yield. The current buyers are buying the delta between the Cap Rates and the cost of debt. In this environment, when Fannie 10-year non-recourse debt is 4.5%, institutional money figures that buying at a 7 Cap get's them 2.5% delta in yield.

They are wrong, because what they think is 7 CAP purchase is in reality a 5 CAP at best, because people don't know how to underwrite. However, with this being true, they still don't loose with debt as cheap as it is. And, remember, they are running out of the paper assets which they don't trust at all.

In the end, however, while their objective is to preserve wealth, mine is to create. I can't be breaking even. And my cost of money is a lot higher. This is why it's so difficult for guys like me to buy 100+ units. It still works fine in the small multi space, because the audience is totally different and their thinking is totally different...

Hope this helps :)

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
They are wrong, because what they think is 7 CAP purchase is in reality a 5 CAP at best
I agree with you. I stopped believing in CAP rates long time ago. What a waste of time and energy.
And my cost of money is a lot higher. This is why it's so difficult for guys like me to buy 100+ units.
Just curious, what are your sources for funding deals then?

--Shoot @SteveO sorry, we started talking about apartment buildings again, instead of golf courses...

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
I agree with you. I stopped believing in CAP rates long time ago. What a waste of time and energy.

--Shoot @SteveO sorry, we started talking about apartment buildings again, instead of golf courses...
Oh, I still believe in Cap Rates, just not the way most people do :)

And, for small deals I use portfolio notes with private money. Bigger deals (syndications) - private placements

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
Oh, I still believe in Cap Rates, just not the way most people do :)

And, for small deals I use portfolio notes with private money. Bigger deals (syndications) - private placements

What kind of rates are you seeing with smaller private notes? It's something I haven't tapped into yet or even pursue but might be a good avenue.

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
What kind of rates are you seeing with smaller private notes? It's something I haven't tapped into yet or even pursue but might be a good avenue.
Oh I can get 7.5%- 8% on a 5-year balloon pretty easily if need-be. There might be some amount of escalations. At this point I will only do that if it's a screaming deal that can't be passed upon, since I don't really want to be in a 5-year balloon unless totally necessary. But, the money is available...

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

Cap rates are a load of crap in most locations. The only cap rates that matter are the ones that you make from your own numbers. This is consistent with what Ben is stating. But @andviv is also correct that you cannot go out shopping for apartments based on cap rates. The numbers being used for comparison are out of calibration on ALL angles.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
Cap rates are a load of crap in most locations. The only cap rates that matter are the ones that you make from your own numbers. This is consistent with what Ben is stating. But @andviv is also correct that you cannot go out shopping for apartments based on cap rates. The numbers being used for comparison are out of calibration on ALL angles.

It's ok @SteveO, you can just say they're complete bullshit and sometimes made up. Massive due diligence is necessary before pulling the trigger on any apartment deal.

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
It's ok @SteveO, you can just say they're complete bullshit and sometimes made up. Massive due diligence is necessary before pulling the trigger on any apartment deal.
It doesn't even matter what the pro forma is. We know what shit cost :)

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
@SteveO
When are you going to develop that land in Utah with a nice scenic nook and write that book? I think it is time, what is your info so I can send money for my preorder ;)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
@SteveO
When are you going to develop that land in Utah with a nice scenic nook and write that book? I think it is time, what is your info so I can send money for my preorder ;)
Ha! Very busy these days.

Still working on my house in Yuma. Incredible views and seclusion. Also working on some land development here.

Probably won't build in Moab until the golf course is sold.

Not sure that I could sit long enough to write a book.

Thanks for the thoughts!

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I look forward to seeing a better behaved group of people in here.
I read this and thought to myself, "a legend is born".
Hey Steve, great to see you. You going to ever write that book for Dearborn? They are a great publisher and well noted.
SteveO, I'm assuming you're Steve Olafson from RD forums? If so, I second their motions. Write a book! I'd definitely buy it. I appreciate every bit of advice you have to say.
Then I saw your legend preceeded you...

This is quite a little bit of forum history right here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.