The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Figuring Out YouTube

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You can’t get monetised with whiteboard + robot voice. You need a real voice
That dreamcloud guy mentioned in one of his videos that some bots sound too robotic, and others are more natural sounding. I think he mentioned wellsaidlabs as a source of good TTS voiceovers.

I’ve no idea how that would fare with being monetised on YouTube, but then I don’t particularly have a goal to earn via Adsense.

Maybe don’t have a voiceover? Or figure out some other way to do it cost effectively? Or maybe your accent isn’t the issue you think it might be?

If you can figure out how to earn for each video then a lot of these problems fade away. Or these problems could just be stepping stones in disguise.

Or maybe approach it with Steve Martin’s line in mind: “Be so good they can’t ignore you”?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
every time I read your threads, it oozes the vibe of a caring uncle.
Thanks for this comment @Angler.

Someone posted something similar years ago. I feel I should lean into this.

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
Well worth a listen:

I just finished listening to this and also watched Paddy's latest video where he breaks down Mr Beasts recent Squid Game video. It was nice to see his video has gone viral and his subscribers are now running at 10k a day rather than 300 - well deserved.

Both were very informative but I had a lightbulb moment when I watched the video. I need to switch the order of my own video scripts so the explanation comes after the initial demonstration. It should be Hook then Demo then Explain. That way I can change the pace of the delivery as well.

Thanks for sharing another golden resource.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I just finished listening to this and also watched Paddy's latest video where he breaks down Mr Beasts recent Squid Game video. It was nice to see his video has gone viral and his subscribers are now running at 10k a day rather than 300 - well deserved.

Both were very informative but I had a lightbulb moment when I watched the video. I need to switch the order of my own video scripts so the explanation comes after the initial demonstration. It should be Hook then Demo then Explain. That way I can change the pace of the delivery as well.

Thanks for sharing another golden resource.
Yeah, there’s real thinking behind YouTube. To date I just slap up a video. That’s not good enough.

All three of these podcasts were excellent btw, and the second linked has THE best blog page for a podcast I’ve ever read.
  1. ‎The Entrepreneur Experiment: Paddy Galloway - The man who launched a billion views! on Apple Podcasts
  2. "How are the world’s top creators growing on YouTube?" with Paddy Galloway
  3. The man who SOLVED YouTube - Paddy Galloway - The Kickstart Garage

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
Thanks. I don't usually listen to podcasts but I've added these to a list to listen to. There's a lot of good information. I've already seen some of my metrics improve after following the advice in the Film Booth videos. The end screen CTR has gone from a channel average of 1.5% to 13% in my last video. Longer term that must have a positive impact on my channel viewing figures.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I need to switch the order of my own video scripts so the explanation comes after the initial demonstration.
I think a lot of videos, podcasts, and written content suffers from over explaining.

If someone searches for a video or article on “how to do xyz”, then they do NOT want to watch a 5 minute explanation of what XYZ is and why it’s important they do it.

This is a bug bear of mine. Too many of us had it drummed into us that essays should follow the formula of “Tell them what you’re going to say. Say it. Tell them what you said.”

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I don't usually listen to podcasts
I love podcasts. Sometimes it’s the little throwaway comments that are the most insightful.

Another good person to follow is Laurel Portie. Her podcast and YouTube episodes are identical, and they’re short and actionable.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Are there any cheaper alternatives for editing and creating whiteboard videos? Would work amazingly for book reviews and explainer type videos.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Are there any cheaper alternatives for editing and creating whiteboard videos? Would work amazingly for book reviews and explainer type videos.
A lot of people use Videoscribe, or Doodly. I think I went with the $120/year package for Videoscribe. I don’t know if there are cheaper tools. Maybe it has a free version too.

A selling point was seeing MJ uses Videoscribe, and Paddy Galloway (who has a 30 minute course on Skillshare showing how he creates his videos).

I also think the Practical Psychology channel uses Videoscribe.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
I think a lot of videos, podcasts, and written content suffers from over explaining.

If someone searches for a video or article on “how to do xyz”, then they do NOT want to watch a 5 minute explanation of what XYZ is and why it’s important they do it.

This is a bug bear of mine. Too many of us had it drummed into us that essays should follow the formula of “Tell them what you’re going to say. Say it. Tell them what you said.”
100% this. Whenever I need to find how to do something in Photoshop or Premiere Pro, the channel "Adobe in a minute" is a life savior.

Sure, the channel won't rake in gazillions in ad revenue (or does it?). But it gets my views instead of the other ones.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A selling point was seeing MJ uses Videoscribe

I hate it. It does what it needs too, but it simply isn't very efficient or practical.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I hate it. It does what it needs too, but it simply isn't very efficient or practical.
Thanks for the feedback MJ.

I can definitely see how time consuming it can be. I’ve only done a few minutes so far and it took ages.

I think having less animations could make it exponentially easier to create your explainer videos, and might make them even more popular?

I’ve been studying channels with explainer videos, and the ones that do best seem to have simpler videos with less animated elements.

For example:

View: https://youtu.be/fxK_H-IhC4g

And this one (which also includes video clips):

View: https://youtu.be/c5-3gotpgz8

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm studying the 4 highest viewed (English speaking) Google Ads tutorials on YouTube.

Video Stats:
  • Grey columns are formulae.
  • As expected, the video with the highest engagement rate got the most views for the number of subs.
  • Very consistent naming.
  • I notice there aren't any 2022 tutorials out yet. I expect people are creating them right now, or maybe waiting to release them in Jan?
  • There's a lot of views, indicating there's a lot of people interested in Google Ads tutorials.
  • Note how the tutorial only needs to be 20 minutes long - right up my street as I hate fluff in tutorials.
  • There's one video that's 61 minutes long. It's the one with the most engagement.
  • Two channels are personal branded. Two are "agency" channels.
  • All videos are screenshares with the presenter in a small video in the corner. I can do that.

1638654215802.png

Descriptions:
  • I copied the video descriptions into a separate Google Doc for each video. I'll study these later.

Tags:
  • I can't figure out how to see what tags they're using.

Video Timestamps:
  • I copied the timestamps in the descriptions, noting that the lowest engagement video had none.
  • I already know what my timestamps would be.
  • Lol... I'm at 699 subs, not 700.
  • I'm curious if one good video can blow up my account.
  • Can I create a video that's 20 mins?
  • Can I create a free video that doesn't deter people from signing up for my course(s)?

1638656805934.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Actions Taken:
  • Unlisted every video that isn't Google Ads related (I've only 34 videos on the channel now).
  • Edited the banner to be Google Ads specific.
  • Changed the CTA in the banner to be "Visit AndyBlack.net" (when people click the button they get sent there).
  • Finally filled in the About section!

YT banner.png

Also added spotlit videos:

featured videos.png

They will show up like this:

featured video - screenshot.png

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
That makes a lot of sense and I'm looking forward to reading your progress.
I also took a look at some of your video descriptions and I think you could do with adding a little more:

1. I think you would benefit from including search keywords in the description and titles to help people find your video (on YouTube and in Google).
2. Do you have a free offer to entice people over you your website? You could publicise that in the description.

I've been going back through my old videos and adding a link to get my free book and have been tracking that with Bitly. I seem to get around 4-8 clicks a day and most of those subscribe to my newsletter to get the book. It may be worth trying something like this.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
That makes a lot of sense and I'm looking forward to reading your progress.
I also took a look at some of your video descriptions and I think you could do with adding a little more:

1. I think you would benefit from including search keywords in the description and titles to help people find your video (on YouTube and in Google).
2. Do you have a free offer to entice people over you your website? You could publicise that in the description.

I've been going back through my old videos and adding a link to get my free book and have been tracking that with Bitly. I seem to get around 4-8 clicks a day and most of those subscribe to my newsletter to get the book. It may be worth trying something like this.
Yeah, I’ve ignored the descriptions to date. YouTube was just where I hosted videos to embed in forums and to direct people to. I’ll sort out a lead magnet at some point too.

I can imagine creating new videos and unlisting all the old ones, or starting a brand new channel.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I’ve not seen this before. Go to the end for his CTA to download a PDF. After you opt in your get sent back to the video where he has an end card of another video.

After opting in you get the promised PDF.

His next email in his autoresponder series links to a Gumroad product where you can buy 75 of his PDFs for $9.95 one-off.

View: https://youtu.be/DFjTD8v7xuw

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Spent a while last night doing a screenshare recording of me creating a Google Ads account and campaigns from scratch. This will be the bones of my “Google Ads Tutorial 2022” video.

I recorded the screen without doing a voiceover as I worked. It made editing the video down a lot easier. I will record a voiceover later. It will be interesting if this process works better in the long run.

I edited the video down to 18 minutes but after sleeping on it I think I can still delete large chunks.

I’ll create explanation sections, the intro, and the outro, using Videoscribe.

I really like the double CTA from the video in my previous post. I’ll think if I should try that with this video.

EDIT: The bones has been ruthlessly cut down to 10 mins now.

Last edited:

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 25, 2021
UK
I’ve not seen this before. Go to the end for his CTA to download a PDF. After you opt in your get sent back to the video where he has an end card of another video.

After opting in you get the promised PDF.

His next email in his autoresponder series links to a Gumroad product where you can buy 75 of his PDFs for $9.95 one-off.

View: https://youtu.be/DFjTD8v7xuw
Thanks Andy. I like this approach at the end of the video and it should work well to gain more subscribers. I think that I'm going to try this myself when I have a video that doesn't naturally link to another of my videos.

I've also finished adding my book offer to the video description of all my old videos rather than using Cards in the video. I seem to be generating 8 - 12 clicks a day back to my site from the descriptions and I expect 50% of these will subscribe.

Something else that I've been doing since you recommended it following the advice in Film Booth about how to end a video. My end screen clicks went to around 10-12% when the average for my historic videos is only 1.5%. Then in my latest video, I decided to highlight a problem that I thought people would be experiencing and then tell them which video to watch to learn how to solve it. The CTR has rocketed to 25% for that video. I'll be watching the stats carefully over the coming weeks but it looks promising.

I suppose it's obvious that if you give people a compelling reason to watch another of your videos they will take the opportunity, especially if they liked the video they just watched.

Thanks for sharing all the things you are finding out. They are certainly helping me.

davidpn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Some interesting insights in this thread and I'm going to have to read this more closely + have a listen to those Paddy podcasts you mentioned (I've watched a few of his YT video breakdowns). As someone who is also growing a YT channel, it's interesting to read/compare how you are going about things or the behind the scenes stuff.

A month or so ago... I came across this really, really interesting podcast that might interest you. Especially since you already have a Google Adwords course... so there are a lot of parallels if you were to try a similar strategy as hers. She chose to be all in on short videos & not publish long-form videos on YT. Have you considered YT shorts as a strategy (I didn't read all of your thread... so apologizes if you've already covered this).

Where she is Miss Excel... you could be Mr. Adwords! :D

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Some interesting insights in this thread and I'm going to have to read this more closely + have a listen to those Paddy podcasts you mentioned (I've watched a few of his YT video breakdowns). As someone who is also growing a YT channel, it's interesting to read/compare how you are going about things or the behind the scenes stuff.

A month or so ago... I came across this really, really interesting podcast that might interest you. Especially since you already have a Google Adwords course... so there are a lot of parallels if you were to try a similar strategy as hers. She chose to be all in on short videos & not publish long-form videos on YT. Have you considered YT shorts as a strategy (I didn't read all of your thread... so apologizes if you've already covered this).

Where she is Miss Excel... you could be Mr. Adwords! :D
Funny you bring this up. I’ve been looking at YouTube shorts, and even TikTok. I even found that lady’s TikTok channel recently, but can’t stand her videos… lol. Yeah, I like the idea of doing short form videos. They’re quicker to churn out, and if something hits a nerve then I can expand on it.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
At 45:40 in that podcast:
If I was teaching my courses for free on YouTube no-one would pay for my courses.

It makes so much sense to publish sub 60 second tips for free.

It was this exact thinking that made me halt the work on the “Google Ads Tutorial 2022” video I was creating a week or so ago. Why am I trying to create a free version of my flagship course?

Investigating YouTube shorts and TikTok…

davidpn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Yup... I'd say that line would be the most relevant to you!

Though I think the other important one from that podcast was when she mentioned something around "at the end of the day social media/videos are about making people feel good". Especially true in short-form video content.

Imo, I think you need to be more creative with the short-form videos and also really know what kind of content your audience is going to enjoy/like. Yes... you can create a sub 15s or 60s clip where you give away a free tip, but can you do it in such a way that leaves your viewer smiling/laughing/wanting more? Then you'll get views (maybe even go viral) and very likely her strategy/success could be replicated to some extent.

I don't know who your customers are for your course, but if it's an older crowd you could make jokes about how you had to advertise your business back in the good ole days, compared to how you do it now with Adwords. Even with millennials... hit them with nostalge stuff like "yellow pages" paper book. Lots of angles you could play...

One guy I follow closely on YouTube (his business is basically selling an interactive course) and his audience are programmers/future programmers. He creates long-form video on topics that programmers are interested in, but NOT actually teaching anything from his course content. He just shamelessly plugs his business into most of his YouTube videos. I'm sure he converts a lot of that audience into paying customers, even though he isn't specifically teaching anything with regards to his business. He is targeting topics that would interest programmers.

So both approaches can/do work (short & long form video), but I believe creating the right type of content for your audience is critical to ones success. This is where we (as creators) have to figure that out, which is of course much easier said than done.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
1) I’ve deliberately not done anything with YouTube this year. I wanted to focus on DFY services and put growing my courses membership on hold.

The channel helps get me DFY business (people referred to me then Google me and find the channel).

A lot of the content on the channel is technical how-to content. I don’t think that interests the DFY crowd.

I’m tempted to unpublished all but my 90 minute pinned video, and then get someone to create lots of YouTube Shorts out of that video.

2) Just posted this on @Ernman ’s YouTube progress thread:

On regular uploads…

A line I heard last year that resonated with me was:

“Don’t tell different things to the same people. Tell the same things to different people.”

I’ve watched a few videos from big channels where they say a rigid upload schedule isn’t necessary, and may be harmful for the creator’s mental health. It certainly took all the fun out of Twitter for me when I tried to tweet once a day.

I’m using YouTube more as a place to host videos people can watch who’ve been referred to me and/or who I’ve chatted to.

Only this week someone was referred to me, sent me an email asking if I could help them, and then later sent another email saying:

“I'll book a time on Wednesday next, however, i watched your YouTube workshop earlier, really impressed with your knowledge and skill, id be happy to hire you straight away if we could have a chat.”

That’s after he found and watched the “pinned” video on my channel.

Other people I speak to mention they Googled me before hopping on a call. They find a lot of Google Ads content on various sites (including this forum).

I’m not saying NOT to have a regular schedule, just that it’s not the only way.

I may even unlist a lot of older videos and just keep a few choice ones there.

I’d rather have a few gems (and maybe put ad spend behind them) than have to publish to a schedule. I’d rather have ONE video on my channel that gets seen by different people every day than lots of videos that get seen mostly by the same people.

(Take with a pinch of salt of course. You do what works best for you.)

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
(Take with a pinch of salt of course. You do what works best for you.)
That is actually the most important part of what you said. Too many people don't take the time to think about where/how YouTube fits into their biz plan. OMG if I don't have 100K subscribers I'm not doing it right. YT is a very good tool IF used effectively with your biz model. There are an infinite number of ways to use YT but few take the time to understand that and use it effectively for themselves. If the biz is the YT channel then growth is essential for ad revenue, sponsorships, etc,. But if the channel is just a way to help customers get to know you or your products better, then YT growth is meaningless. How much time one spends creating/editing vids, what type of vids, schedule, ALL depend on what one is using YT to accomplish.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thought these two videos were interesting:

View: https://youtu.be/vRekFkXwSzY

I replied to the first video with this:

I love how you can create one piece of content and it can help people immediately and also help people for years to come.

Creating content is also good for your personal brand which I’m all in favour of since:

a) We all have a personal brand anyway so may as well intentionally develop it.
b) Our personal brand stays with us for life.
c) Our personal brand is non taxable!

Content creation is also a skill, and much of it is about communicating clearly and getting people to take action. Getting good at presenting and communicating will feed us for life, especially coupled with a technical skill people will pay for.

View: https://youtu.be/2GoX-HN-MMs

This was interesting for me as I don’t just want to talk about Google Ads on my YouTube channel. I think that’s why I’ve never been able to fully get behind my YouTube channel…

MaxT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Oct 22, 2020
France

Please SEARCH before posting.