The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fast Food Business Systems

Forza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Mar 14, 2008
My parents and I are starting a fast food business. We want to build several of them, but the problem is building the system that would enable us to trust others with the money and the stock.

So would anyone know what systems we need to have, and have an example on how complex/thorough it has to be?

Right now I'm thinking along the lines of:
Counting and weighing every stock item and inputting into a laptop
Recording every conversion of raw stock into cooked inventory
A wastage sheet
Having a till system that automatically subtracts cooked inventory from the laptop as orders come in
Security cameras
Knowing exactly who is on the till at all times (if any till theft occurs, they are the ones responsible)

Thanks for any help :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I'm a little confused about your question. Are you looking into starting your own fast food business or are you looking to buy a franchise from an existing fast food restaurant?

If you're interested in starting your own, you should definitely read "The E Myth." Michael Gerber basically outlines how to create the positions in your company and dictate every position's responsibilities.

PurEnergy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 4, 2008
I don't know about the systems but I have a nephew who is in the BBQ business. He said they are buying cooking equipment cheap right now.

White8

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 6, 2007
Salem, OR
What you are looking for is a restaurant point of sale system. I don't know of a software product but I'm sure they are out there. Be sure to pick something simple to use at least on the front end as you will have a large employee turn over. You should select software that supports multiple tills so each person has their own and it can be counted down by someone other than that person at the end of their shift. Also, data mining is invaluable. If you pick a good POS system it will be able to tell you after it's be in use for a while that the restaurant sells 350 hamburgers on Friday nights in the fall between 10:00-12:00pm (because that's when the football game gets over at the local high school). Using this information you can adjust your stocking and staffing levels and will be able to identify potential problems quickly such as why only 150 hamburgers sold during the time that normally sees sales of 350. (is the quality of the food or service deteriorating, or is the place down the street cutting into sales?)

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
When I had a restaurant/bar we used a system called 'Aloha'. I would think that it could be modified to fit a fast food model, but don't know for sure. ...Have you guys thought about maybe calling some fast food managers and seeing if you can interview them? (People love to feel important, and I bet they'd make time for you.) Make a list of all your questions and see if they'll let you pick their brain. I would think that theft, turn over, hiring and quality control would be your biggest issues, and the areas in which to ask the most questions. ...If you guys don't have any fast food experience, I would go get a job in a fast food place for a couple of weeks (minimum) to get a feel for what you can expect for customers, employees and the system/routine of the place. Good luck and keep us posted!

mm2003

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Aug 15, 2007
Ohio
Their are numerous types of POS systems available. Radiant Aloha is a popular one for the QSR industry and more upscale restaurants. Micros is also another big player. Both of these systems are capable of doing what your wanting and they can be customized to your specific needs. The down fall is their price tag. They will be substantially more than most others. These are also POS systems with the software already built for you application.

Your other option is to use your own hardware and purchase a software package that fits your needs. Microsoft POS and RMS is an example. You will have to set it up and configure it the way you feel is best for your business but overall the program is fairly simplistic. You are able to keep track of inventory, assign cash drawers, track customers, etc. The RMS version is a bit more complex and will support a larger operation. I put a couple links below for you to check out the different systems.

posnation.com
posworld.com
radiantsystems.com
micros.com
westronconsulting.com

Forza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Mar 14, 2008
I know of one Mcdonald's manager I could talk to. I guess a POS system is the way to go. Thanks everyone :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.