The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Facebook ada - how to properly split test?

Marketing, social media, advertising

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I can't seem to find a guide on this but if lets say I launch a facebook ad to go to my website, and its got 2000 impressions but no conversions what am I supposed to do? Do I just run the same ads again with the same settings, completely change it, or? I'm not sure how to find out what isnt working. Aswell as how long to test a product for.

The only thing I can think of is to look at the data I was given and make an ad based off that. Like in terms of the gender, device, etc. But then leaves me the question if I should change those variables until I get a conversion. Just looking for a point in the right direction.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheFunnelExpert

I'll build your next funnel
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jun 22, 2015
Bengaluru
It could be quite a few things.

Impression alone is not enough. How many clicked and how many ended up on your landing page?

What is your campaign objective sign-up or a sale?

1. Ad scent - A term defined by DigitalMarketer. Is your messaging on the ad and landing page consistent?
2. Landing page - Is it your generic page or your home page? Or a page specifically designed and written to the audience targeted by you on Facebook?
3. Bounce Rate/Time spent - Use a heat-map tool like HotJar to figure out if people are clicking and scrolling. Also install Google Analytics.
4. Messaging - Do you have the right message for the right audience?

Let me know if you need help setting up the tracking tools.

Boychamp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 13, 2019
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
The things said above are true. Also, you want to look at what you're optimizing for in the campaign (and ad set). This can have a major impact on what you get.
Secondly, start breaking down the data you've got from Facebook. Did people progress through the sales process or funnel? Check your click through rate, the amount of people that viewed the landing page, added to cart, etc etc. You can start to figure out where the drop off happens and that'll give you a better idea of what to focus on.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
2000 impressions is statistically too insignificant to make an informed decision. Keep running it.

Boychamp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 13, 2019
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
2000 impressions is statistically too insignificant to make an informed decision. Keep running it.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. If your CTR is absolute garbage and CPC is extremely high, it's okay to kill something after 2-3000 impressions. Typically means your audience match isn't a good fit or your creative just isn't cutting it.
But I will agree that if your front-end metrics are good (CTR, CPC, LPV), let it run longer.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
It could be quite a few things.

Impression alone is not enough. How many clicked and how many ended up on your landing page?

What is your campaign objective sign-up or a sale?

1. Ad scent - A term defined by DigitalMarketer. Is your messaging on the ad and landing page consistent?
2. Landing page - Is it your generic page or your home page? Or a page specifically designed and written to the audience targeted by you on Facebook?
3. Bounce Rate/Time spent - Use a heat-map tool like HotJar to figure out if people are clicking and scrolling. Also install Google Analytics.
4. Messaging - Do you have the right message for the right audience?

Let me know if you need help setting up the tracking tools.
I did conversions for goal. I spent 100 AUD and got 50 clicks not much

The landing page is my product page that im trying to sell. also people hang around for a couple minutes sometimes. They scroll up and down the page check the images even read my product description somewhhat indepth

TheFunnelExpert

I'll build your next funnel
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jun 22, 2015
Bengaluru
Looks like this is cold audience. Make sure to re-target and see what happens.

PM me your ad copy and landing page.

The landing page is my product page that im trying to sell. also people hang around for a couple minutes sometimes. They scroll up and down the page check the images even read my product description somewhhat indepth

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I think 4 Hour Workweek covered a lot about split testing

mattsteinman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
May 13, 2019
Michigan
There are so many variables that go into running successful Facebook ads.

One of the best things you can do from a testing perspective is to create MULTIPLE Ad Sets, with multiple Ads inside each Set.

Here is a basic example of running split tests.

Facebook Ad Campaign Example

Each Ad Set should be targeting different audiences (interests and behaviors).

Inside of the Ad Sets, you should be testing different ads. A couple of things to test while creating ads:
  • Images
  • Headlines
  • Descriptions
  • Call-to-Action Button
Make sure to duplicate those same Ads to ALL your ad sets in order to see what audience converts.

Depending on your budget, I would recommend 3-5 Ad Sets and 5-10 Ads inside each set. This will allow you to scrub out all the low performing ads and scale ones that are working.

Obviously, there is much more to it than this but this is a good place to start when testing Facebook Ads.

Hope that helps.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia

The landing page is my product page that im trying to sell.
There are so many variables that go into running successful Facebook ads.

One of the best things you can do from a testing perspective is to create MULTIPLE Ad Sets, with multiple Ads inside each Set.

Here is a basic example of running split tests.

View attachment 26247

Each Ad Set should be targeting different audiences (interests and behaviors).

Inside of the Ad Sets, you should be testing different ads. A couple of things to test while creating ads:
  • Images
  • Headlines
  • Descriptions
  • Call-to-Action Button
Make sure to duplicate those same Ads to ALL your ad sets in order to see what audience converts.

Depending on your budget, I would recommend 3-5 Ad Sets and 5-10 Ads inside each set. This will allow you to scrub out all the low performing ads and scale ones that are working.

Obviously, there is much more to it than this but this is a good place to start when testing Facebook Ads.

Hope that helps.
That sounds great. Is this correct? Do it with same product? I was thinkibg of 3 adsets each adset focus on different audience but text and image of the adset is the same in each adset is this right? Or would it he spammy as its the same images repeated?
Nevermind i misread what u wrote lol. I sre what to do. Is a 3 dollar budget each ad ok? Becuase that is ALOT of adsets. What countries should i test aswell all my sales are from australia but my audiece seems alot bigger in america but no sales from there.

mattsteinman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
May 13, 2019
Michigan
Is a 3 dollar budget each ad ok? Becuase that is ALOT of adsets. What countries should i test aswell all my sales are from australia but my audiece seems alot bigger in america but no sales from there.

You'll need at least a $5/day budget. Depending on what you budget is, the more you can spend, the quicker you'll get results. So if you can afford a $20/day budget and let it run for 7 days, that would be ideal. Just think of it like you are collecting data.

Set your budget at the Ad Set level. You can also put a budget on the Campaign level as well so you don't go over a certain amount.

It all depends on what you're selling. I start by targeting the top countries;
  • United States
  • United Kingdom
  • Netherlands
  • Canada
  • Australia
Hope that helps.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics