The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Every wantrepreneur look here!

Anything related to matters of the mind

Ryllban

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 15, 2013
Hello fellow fastlaners!

This post is for all of you (including me) who have for the past year/s been looking for the "best and easiest way to make much money". Everyone who suffer from "shiny syndrome object" and cant decide to stick with one business. Everyone who have read alot online and feel anxiety about starting something becuase it seems like a daunting task.

http://www.quicksprout.com/2009/05/25/how-to-be-a-better-entrepreneur-in-the-next-30-minutes/

Sometimes the only thing we F*cking wantrepreneurs need is to start. The business doesnt need to be world-class. I have been "stuck" in a mental prison for waaay to long now. Wanting to start a lasting business and feel a few days later that it wont work or that I might not solve a real problem, or that I need alot of cash. Its a never ending cycle.

What is my (and your) options?

1. Continue the same road and never, ever, ever creating anything longterm. Only read about other peoples success. Never feel your own.

2. Create a business and just start. Maybe it doesnt fill the biggest gap in the market. Maybe it doesnt have the best USP(Unique selling point), but now we atleast taking action to change something in our life. And maybe, it can become a homerun.

Dont let 2015 be like 2014, 2013, 2012..
Peace!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TrestonIngle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 10, 2014
Palm Beach, Florida
Hello fellow fastlaners!

Create a business and just start. Maybe it doesnt fill the biggest gap in the market. Maybe it doesnt have the best USP(Unique selling point), but now we atleast taking action to change something in our life. And maybe, it can become a homerun.
Doesn't this make us action fakers? It's not necessarily busy work to start a business, but if we jump into a niche that we know won't be the best usage of our time(most precious asset) then wouldn't the process be counter-intuitive to our goal of freedom? Please correct me if i misunderstood.

Oven

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Oct 31, 2013
Doesn't this make us action fakers? It's not necessarily busy work to start a business, but if we jump into a niche that we know won't be the best usage of our time(most precious asset) then wouldn't the process be counter-intuitive to our goal of freedom? Please correct me if i misunderstood.
If you wait for the perfect niche you'll never find it and if you've never started a business before you won't recognize it if you do. The experience that you get from starting any kind of business is worth the time investment, you learn so much more doing it than reading about it. If you've never started a business before you have no idea what niche is the best usage of your time because you've never done anything and can't predict the problems that will occur. It's a bigger waste of time to read about starting a business when you could be getting hands on experience. That's a much faster and more realistic way of learning. You might even be successful, you probably won't be though.

TrestonIngle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 10, 2014
Palm Beach, Florida
If you wait for the perfect niche you'll never find it and if you've never started a business before you won't recognize it if you do. The experience that you get from starting any kind of business is worth the time investment, you learn so much more doing it than reading about it. If you've never started a business before you have no idea what niche is the best usage of your time because you've never done anything and can't predict the problems that will occur. It's a bigger waste of time to read about starting a business when you could be getting hands on experience. That's a much faster and more realistic way of learning. You might even be successful, you probably won't be though.
This puts it into perspective. Thank you

AntEmpire

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 4, 2015
I failed at 3 businesses last year. The first business had too many different elements to it. It was like an ant nest (no joke) that, in hindsight, needed more than 1 person to make it work (something I obviously couldn't afford to do as a boostrapper).

The second required a specialized skill set that would've required possibly years of practice to pull off before I could even create and sell my first product. I foolishly believed I could shortcut my lack of talent by using some tricks I both learned and invented to make the process work. They didn't.

The third was just me jumping into something that looked profitable, only to find out $$ later that this particular business would always require time traded to make money, with the profit margins remaining consistently low unless you found a golden egg. It was the equivalent of checking pockets hoping to find a winning lottery ticket.

Only the first business was scalable and none operated on passion. They also weren't a good match for my skill set or the amount of time and money I could devote to them. My newest business does meet my requirements (scalable, skill set, time, money) and I'm hopeful things will work out.

But if it does fail I won't mourn too long, because with each failure I have picked up a valuable lesson that has helped ease my path going forward. Frankly speaking, with each failure I get better at what I do.

I agree with Ryllban. Just starting something is the best thing you can do as a wantrepreneur. I have learned far more in my own failures than from the successful people who have graciously shared their stories of failure in books, articles, blog posts, and threads.

TrestonIngle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 10, 2014
Palm Beach, Florida
I failed at 3 businesses last year. The first business had too many different elements to it. It was like an ant nest (no joke) that, in hindsight, needed more than 1 person to make it work (something I obviously couldn't afford to do as a boostrapper).

The second required a specialized skill set that would've required possibly years of practice to pull off before I could even create and sell my first product. I foolishly believed I could shortcut my lack of talent by using some tricks I both learned and invented to make the process work. They didn't.

The third was just me jumping into something that looked profitable, only to find out $$ later that this particular business would always require time traded to make money, with the profit margins remaining consistently low unless you found a golden egg. It was the equivalent of checking pockets hoping to find a winning lottery ticket.

Only the first business was scalable and none operated on passion. They also weren't a good match for my skill set or the amount of time and money I could devote to them. My newest business does meet my requirements (scalable, skill set, time, money) and I'm hopeful things will work out.

But if it does fail I won't mourn too long, because with each failure I have picked up a valuable lesson that has helped ease my path going forward. Frankly speaking, with each failure I get better at what I do.

I agree with Ryllban. Just starting something is the best thing you can do as a wantrepreneur. I have learned far more in my own failures than from the successful people who have graciously shared their stories of failure in books, articles, blog posts, and threads.

Considering these businesses failed, would It be out of line to ask for you to share what these businesses were?Maybe allowing others to pickup on things that you didn't. Considering that none of us would be competition or anything. But if someone was to pursue one of these niches with proper execution, you would see no loss.

I ask this because from what information you provided, I would probably see those businesses capable of fulfilling all of the commandments.

But I will not give up on my dream niche. I will build it into one of the largets companies in its industry. All other business ventures are to supplement that one. It fits every single commandment almost perfectly. So when I am ready to start that process, nothing will stand in its way.

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
Like a lot of wantraprenuers I had no idea where to start. Just recently I decided "F*ck it, im going to start SOMETHING", and in a couple of months I have learned a ton of new skills that can be applied to any online business.

I decided to make an info product that is evergreen, and to put a shitload of value in it at a very reasonable cost. I'm going to market it ethically and give a 100% money back guarantee if they are not satisfied.

I'm not doing this to make money RIGHT NOW.

I'm doing it to :

1) Learn new skills that I will have FOREVER. Copywriting, building landing pages,building websites, setting up payment method integration, how to write and export an ebook in Scrivener,Ebook cover design, Photoshop, how to edit video, etc.. the list goes on forever.

2) Build an email list and a customer base that you can sell other valuable content to later.

If it's one thing that my hard headed a$$ has finally learned, its that an object in motion stays in motion. JUST F*ckING START SOMETHING TODAY.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
The truth is that you likely can't and shouldn't handle all that yourself because you need to focus on your service/product. But you do need to select the right vendors to provide the services you need. [URL Removed] provides a great resource that shows early stage entrepreneurs the best vendors they can choose across 50 different service categories.

Are you affiliated with [Business Name Removed] by any chance AJ123?

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Sometimes the only thing we F*cking wantrepreneurs need is to start. The business doesnt need to be world-class. I have been "stuck" in a mental prison for waaay to long now. Wanting to start a lasting business and feel a few days later that it wont work or that I might not solve a real problem, or that I need alot of cash. Its a never ending cycle.

What is my (and your) options?

1. Continue the same road and never, ever, ever creating anything longterm. Only read about other peoples success. Never feel your own.

2. Create a business and just start. Maybe it doesnt fill the biggest gap in the market. Maybe it doesnt have the best USP(Unique selling point), but now we atleast taking action to change something in our life. And maybe, it can become a homerun.

That's my theory: It may suck in some ways, but how else you going to learn! I don't know a business that doesn't need improvements! :)

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
What makes a business a failure? Is it a lack of cash flow? lack of profit? lack of earth shattering creation? I feel that just by starting, especially if you are young, you get paid in what you learn. If you are gonna swing for the fences you may as well have loaded bases. Getting some failures under your belt is a good thing. It paves the way for future success. Better to get them done with now and learn from them. Running backs are taught to churn their legs and fall forward, you may pick up first downs in just that last little fall forward. Fail forward. You will learn from it. I was employed by a fortune 500 company and hardly scraped by, knew nothing, and was fresh out of high school. But from it I learned more than sitting around in a class room. Fail forward. You need to fail. Fail more.

Salem

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 25, 2014
Spain
Agree 100%

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
How is that working out for you?
How are you storing your precious time while you wait for this perfect world changing opportunity that will make you financially independent with no busy work? Do you put in the freezer, or can it stay at room temp?

TrestonIngle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 10, 2014
Palm Beach, Florida
How are you storing your precious time while you wait for this perfect world changing opportunity that will make you financially independent with no busy work?

How i'm using MY precious time is by spending it on my other priorities, finding passive sources of income so i can build capital to put towards my ''perfect world changing opportunity''. I take offense to your sarcasm about a idea you don't even have any information of. My niche is going to help people in need and change people's lives for the better, yet you mock it with ignorance. I don't know what your defining ''busy work'' as, but i put plethora of strategic planning for every outcome that would happen during operation. By plethora, i mean almost a YEAR and 4 MONTHS EXACTLY, from first idea, manufacturing. marketing/advertising, legal counsel, customer service, product quality, and daily operations that wouldn't have happened till the brand's 4th year of operation. idea's Based off the predicted/estimated net income and analyzed from similar niches in different parts of the world.
The only reason I halted is because i relied too much on other people to get things started. some of it out of my control, but won't make that mistake again.

TrestonIngle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 10, 2014
Palm Beach, Florida
How are you storing your precious time while you wait for this perfect world changing opportunity that will make you financially independent with no busy work? Do you put in the freezer, or can it stay at room temp?
It's in the freezer for now, but i'll be thawing it out when the time is right.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.