The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Eric from Erics Cheesecakes

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
So in my current business, I am recognizing two type of people and friends. Nothing is wrong with either, just different mentalities.

I sell dog collars, and sometimes when browsing the orders I'll see orders from my friends. My roommate from college who I haven't seen in 15 years recently ordered, some friends of my parents too, etc... These friends just go online and order. If I see their order and I refund them the money and send the product. These friends support my company by purchasing my goods at full price and expect nothing back.

Now, I have other friends that are the opposite. They say "my dog would love to wear your collar. You should give him one. I'll help spread your brand and advertise for you." In their mind, they are doing me a favor by having their dog wear my brand. They shouldn't have to PAY for my collar, in fact, I should be paying them for the exposure.

I don't think either way is wrong. It is just a different mindset among people. Both sets of people think that they are helping my brand.

So here you have two different mindsets of how to reach the same goal, the goal of learning how to ship a cheesecake. Both may get you there, but one is in my opinion, better than they other.

Very true and motivating. Sadly by time l got my shipping in perspective, the cost of the actual shipping burned me. 2 days plus 5 hours sitting in 85° heat and the cake was still cold, is an absolute success at the wrong time. That on me. However the process was a big hurdle to jump and l nailed it. But the cost sucked. That's on me too.
By the way, l even found a way to ship for less. Too late. All on me.
So no matter how it is all coming along, for me it's coming together, despite the Crawley mishap. Lession learned.
Again, thanks for that example. Means alot for my mindset adjustment.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
Allow me to illiustrate an alternate ending for those of you using this thread in your own application. Imagine...

Eric, after getting a test package from Harry&David and looking at how they pack their consumable shipments...

Packs out a gift box including four of his best cheesecakes, along with a personal thank you note to @AllenCrawley. The shipment costs him a ton, but that wasn't the point.

Allen gets home from a long hike in the desert, only to find the shipment from @Ericito waiting for him. The shipment was HUGE! He opens it up, and the first thing he notices is the thank you note on top, and then the chill from the package because Eric used a crazy amount of temperature controlled dry ice.

Allen unpacks the surprise. Four of the most delicious cheesecakes your eyes have ever seen - what looks like a chocolate one, fresh berries, peanut butter... everything.

Eric doesn't know but Allen is an artistic photographer. He won't allow his family to dig into them until Allen takes the photos. He gets out some cake plates, and after his fistigious arranging, he posts an upload of the cakes to the FastLane forum. Before he even hits send, a half dozen people inquire as to how they can order. Its 11PM before his family is allowed to dig in to the cakes.

The next day, Allen has to figure out to do with these amazing cheesecakes. He calls @biophase and several other prominent forum members, and they agree to attend his cheesecake pool party the following night.

Allen chills the champagne for the perfect evening, as the Fastlane Forum powerhouses converge on his place. Even @MJ DeMarco, who doesn't eat cheesecake, stops over to check out the spectacle.

More photos, as people devour the amazing exotic byproduct of a story that unfolded through the forum. They love it. They want more. They each individually start posting their own reviews. The thread takes an amazing turn as one by one they each endorse Eric's Cheesecakes.

And...

a brand is born.

All it cost him was four cheesecakes, a thank you card, and a bit of ingenuity. Epic. Does anyone watching debate this was a possible outcome? If ever given the chance, this is what you do.

Now that is an absolutely fantastic concept. Seriously speaking, l wish l had thought that way.
It's a bit late now, or maybe not. But definitely useful for future reference.
Thank you sincerely.

WJS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 3, 2017
MY
..... It is partial mindset because and of reality. So it's up to me to change everything, if it means changing the laws/regulations. But that is on me. No one else can do it but me.... Actions speak louder than words. So be it...

.... Sadly by time l got my shipping in perspective, the cost of the actual shipping burned me.... Too late. All on me.
So no matter how it is all coming along, for me it's coming together, despite the Crawley mishap. Lesson learned.

... Seriously speaking, l wish l had thought that way.
It's a bit late now, or maybe not. But definitely useful for future reference...

@Ericito like many other forum members I've been silently reading and following your progress.. many have given you great advice, and some have even forked out cold hard cash to make you realize that

1) it can be done
2) it's really all in your head

Problem-solving is a very important aspect of being an entrepreneur, and I'm sure many people (myself included) are working through our issues in order to make it work. Can you imagine where Domino's would be if they say "we're a pizza place, NOT a delivery company, and if you can't accept it then so be it!" ?

Perhaps watching this CLASSIC clip from America's Next Top Model would give you a new perspective. There is A LOT of great advice in the video.. Hopefully you'll get over your issues soon

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6OhhUDQJU4

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
It's a bit late now, or maybe not. But definitely useful for future reference.
Thank you sincerely.

It's not late. Not for future reference. Do it now. Now that you have figured out some cheap shipping option, try to find cheap option for Dryice and packaging and ship 4 cakes to @Vigilante or ZCP or Allen and see the response.

Money you are spending is for Trial and testing + Plus expert feedback.

Do it now!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
raise your collar prices to $125 and see how many of your friends still buy them
Maybe the collars are anti-allergic?:playful:

I've spotted wrist bands, undershirts and pants that are designed to ward off the eczema itch.

I've tried a few, but nothing happened. My eczema still raged on, many years back. Prices were as bad as $500.

SDE

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
Jul 9, 2018
Last edited:

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
MJ has some great content in here to reference for his next book, if he's writing one.

I'm so far past bewilderment and being flabbergasted that I don't even have a word for how confused I am. The amount of mental blocks that you have had for years and continue to have, despite people giving you a solid roadmap to success, confuses me beyond words. Most people don't have the luxury of people laying out a business plan for them to follow.

@Vigilante kicked my a$$ back in 2013 and instead of feeling attacked, I felt angry at myself, but blessed that someone that I had never met at that time, cared so much about my success.

Vigilante:
"Classic action fake. You get no shoulder to cry on from me. Some people have "it" and some people don't.

You know what I see in the Raven's Shadow? Death.

So welcome to your 2014. Want to know what your 2014 looks like? Take a look at your 2013. Look in the mirror.

Take everything you learned and stick it on the shelf. Tell yourself that some day you will break free of the chains that bind you.
Then go back to your xBox.

Do I think you can make it? Yes. Will you? That chapter has yet to be written.

Good luck, kid. I was once like you. It ends in some random cubicle working for someone else. That's my past. That's your future.

Let your INSIDERS subscription expire. You're wasting your money at this point and our time.

Some day, I hope to see your name in lights. Not today. Today you're still eating from your parents refrigerator.

You called this a self improvement thread. Are you going to let the world just happen to you?

Come on, man. Pull your head out of your a$$."

Everyone here cares about your success Eric.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
MJ has some great content in here to reference for his next book, if he's writing one.

I'm so far past bewilderment and being flabbergasted that I don't even have a word for how confused I am. The amount of mental blocks that you have had for years and continue to have, despite people giving you a solid roadmap to success, confuses me beyond words. Most people don't have the luxury of people laying out a business plan for them to follow.

@Vigilante kicked my a$$ back in 2013 and instead of feeling attacked, I felt angry, but blessed that someone that I had never met at that time, cared so much about my success.

Vigilante:
"Classic action fake. You get no shoulder to cry on from me. Some people have "it" and some people don't.

You know what I see in the Raven's Shadow? Death.

So welcome to your 2014. Want to know what your 2014 looks like? Take a look at your 2013. Look in the mirror.

Take everything you learned and stick it on the shelf. Tell yourself that some day you will break free of the chains that bind you.
Then go back to your xBox.

Do I think you can make it? Yes. Will you? That chapter has yet to be written.

Good luck, kid. I was once like you. It ends in some random cubicle working for someone else. That's my past. That's your future.

Let your INSIDERS subscription expire. You're wasting your money at this point and our time.

Some day, I hope to see your name in lights. Not today. Today you're still eating from your parents refrigerator.

You called this a self improvement thread. Are you going to let the world just happen to you?

Come on, man. Pull your head out of your a$$."

Everyone here cares about your success Eric.

Damn that was harsh. I am softer now.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Damn that was harsh. I am softer now.
Agreed.
In a way though, it reminds me of Dan Pena...

I watched one of his recent opening videos for his seminars.

He told his students that in the 90s, he would actually BEAT his mentees who screwed up, and lock them up in his castle (yes, he lives in a castle)

The result?
Many of his best-performing students actually were from the 90s.

Today you're still eating from your parents refrigerator.
That's why I don't tell my parents I'm working late nights, even though I 'don't have to'.

I just realised that, when I drew my Upwork earnings some months ago...

I was earning minimum wage back then on Upwork.

Something hit my mind, 'What kind of Fastlaner doesn't earn on his own?'

I was like a student that didn't learn, or a car that didn't move.

Really made me ashamed of myself.

Last edited:

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
@Ericito

I would like you to read this short PDF.

http://abraham-pop.s3.amazonaws.com/mindshift-challenge.pdf

( Thanks @LibertyForMe. He posted this in one of Vig's threads)

It might help you to see things from a different perspective in your business.

Also, add this to your vocabulary -

"I will figure out a way..."

Divert your FOCUS from excuses to execution.
I am practically hyperventilating at how AMAZING this document is, and I'm only halfway through. I feel like sprinting. This is so good!

Thank you @Roz for the post and @LibertyForMe for the original share.

If this is not enough to open up your eyes to a new way of seeing, I don't know what would be.

Whoa.

Whoa.

Whoa.

I've been following Jay Abraham for a long time, but I had never seen this document. Seriously amazing.

=========
Edit: After finishing the doc...
Oh my word.

The macadamia nut cookie story!
The Porsche story!
The motorcycle parts company story!
Allllll the out-of-the-box arbitrage stories!
The Icy Hot story!

The number of creative solutions and out-of-the-box thinking in here are so many and so varied, it's really not a stretch to compare it to the difference between something linear and something 3D.

This was more value packed into 95 pages (for free) than almost anything I've ever read.

Last edited:

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I am practically hyperventilating at how AMAZING this document is, and I'm only halfway through. I feel like sprinting. This is so good!

Thank you @Roz for the post and @LibertyForMe for the original share.

If this is not enough to open up your eyes to a new way of seeing, I don't know what would be.

Whoa.

Whoa.

Whoa.

I've been following Jay Abraham for a long time, but I had never seen this document. Seriously amazing.

I'll have to have another go at it. WAY too much hyperbole for me. I wouldn't be all gushing at what I've read so far.

If that impressed you - then you have to take it up a few notches. But, that's another point...

(Hate that writing style, as I'm sure you see by now! It's the Guru dance - talk a lot but say nothing. Mic drop. Ain't nobody got time for dat.)

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
@Ravens_Shadow

Hey Man if you don't mind I will use your comments as an example - nothing personal. It fits well here and confuses me what is 'real' and what is 'not real'.

Over the last months I have noticed there is a thin line between building our own ego (on someone else's expense) and helping that person... and it is sometimes the same... It's difficult to say on the internet without body language and a real person talking.

If a person acts defensively, says you 'attacked' him, then in his mind it is true and nothing you can do or say will change it. You can only ACKNOWLEDGE it. The first thing we can do to release 'the tension'. To actually prove that we are smarter, and want to help. This is also more or less same to 'putting ourselves into this person's shoes'.

What might this person feel or have been through that makes him act like this (or that)? "I know that I know nothing". Maybe he doesn't have a leg, a middle finger, an eye... he is sick... has other obligations...

@Vigilante kicked my a$$ back in 2013 and instead of feeling attacked, I felt angry at myself, but blessed that someone that I had never met at that time, cared so much about my success.

Maybe the people don't give him what he needs? Have you thought about this? Anyone? Seems like banging your head on the wall, doing the same thing and expecting different results... And the results have been the same for the past months?

Everyone needs tailored advice. What has worked for you, might not work for someone else. Tailored advice is selling 101 with 'high ticket' items (I am only guessing?)? When our ego and balls are on the line, it makes this the highest ticket item everyone can have...

Maybe he needs something else than a business plan and '3 simple steps'. Something beside his actual business... Just thinking really loud...

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
@Ravens_Shadow

Hey Man if you don't mind I will use your comments as an example - nothing personal. It fits well here and confuses me what is 'real' and what is 'not real'.

Over the last months I have noticed there is a thin line between building our own ego (on someone else's expense) and helping that person... and it is sometimes the same... It's difficult to say on the internet without body language and a real person talking.

If a person acts defensively, says you 'attacked' him, then in his mind it is true and nothing you can do or say will change it. You can only ACKNOWLEDGE it. The first thing we can do to release 'the tension'. To actually prove that we are smarter, and want to help. This is also more or less same to 'putting ourselves into this person's shoes'.

What might this person feel or have been through that makes him act like this (or that)? "I know that I know nothing". Maybe he doesn't have a leg, a middle finger, an eye... he is sick... has other obligations...

Maybe the people don't give him what he needs? Have you thought about this? Anyone? Seems like banging your head on the wall, doing the same thing and expecting different results... And the results have been the same for the past months?

Everyone needs tailored advice. What has worked for you, might not work for someone else. Tailored advice is selling 101 with 'high ticket' items (I am only guessing?)? When our ego and balls are on the line, it makes this the highest ticket item everyone can have...

Maybe he needs something else than a business plan and '3 simple steps'. Something beside his actual business... Just thinking really loud...

I know Eric personally and have met him a few times because of the forum. Its a mindset issue for him, not an ego building exercise for me. He has a family and obligations that stem from having one. He works a day job and hustles his cheesecakes on the side. He just doesn't see that it is possible to scale his baking business the way we tell him to. He wants to scale but can't see past his own mental blocks to get it done, and that's okay.

At first when you start some big project that seems impossible. It pretty much is impossible with what you know at that time. By just starting and taking the leap to get that big project done, the impossible becomes possible by growing as a person and learning what you need to know on the fly.

It is an insurmountable task at his stage to build a national cheesecake brand that America or the world loves. By taking action he can take that insurmountable goal and make it possible by doing whatever it takes to get to that goal. Even if Eric never grows "Eric Cheesecakes" to a national brand while trying, that's okay, because the people he will meet and the things that he will do while trying to get there, will make his life so much more interesting and full of opportunity than if he just sat on the couch all day and watched Seinfeld for the 18th time. Eric is baking cheesecakes daily most likely, and he's probably selling them to the neighborhood. He has tried shipping cheesecakes and that's a good first step. He's got a long way to go and if he thinks bigger and acts on that, he'll have a very fulfilling journey, instead of having one wrought with should haves and could haves.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
I quoted you because your comments are great and I was right to do so, now I can see.

Its a mindset issue for him, not an ego building exercise for me.

Nobody has never said it was for you. Hence my comment 'it's not personal'. I just valued your previous comment as being more constructive than 'average'.

He has tried shipping cheesecakes and that's a good first step.

It's great. I should have said it too. Everyone should cheer the guy (s), but the internet makes it so impersonal and awkward. Still, we can write 'great job' and follow with 'ok, it was a bit this and that (pricey / not perfectly executed), but you now have some feedback'. What I can see is a bit of 'he took action - bad, he didn't take action - bad...'.

He just doesn't see that it is possible to scale his baking business the way we tell him to. He wants to scale but can't see past his own mental blocks to get it done, and that's okay.

I am being more selfish here (maybe?). So what a person in his shoes should do to overcome the obstacles / mental blocks? I am asking because I am similar and I also want to learn, but 'tough love' advice - 'take action' won't work...

Is there any technique that has helped you, provided you have had similar blocks in your life? Or daily exercise he / I can do to make it better?

Taking action i.e. 'go sell some cheesecake' - doesn't help in many instances.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
hi @Ericito how are you doing?

Any news you can share?

All the best for you Man

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
Anyone feel like offering to go 50/50 in the building process and fund him. Maybe someone has already, I only read the first two pages and the last two.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Was it @B.cole who predicted this thread will get resurrected a week back? LOL he's right

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Anyone feel like offering to go 50/50 in the building process and fund him. Maybe someone has already, I only read the first two pages and the last two.

Even if he's funded I don't see it succeeding, it's his mindset. Sure the money is an issue but the mindset is the biggest.

He can turn it around he hasn't logged in for a while though.

He can turn it around stress, bills, providing for his family it's probably alot for him to deal with at this pot.

@B.cole predicted this lmao.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
He can turn it around stress, bills, providing for his family it's probably alot for him to deal with at this pot.

I think he is busy executing or doing something important. This is what I believe in (him).

SarahO

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Dec 30, 2019
Denver, CO
Allow me to illiustrate an alternate ending for those of you using this thread in your own application. Imagine...

Eric, after getting a test package from Harry&David and looking at how they pack their consumable shipments...

Packs out a gift box including four of his best cheesecakes, along with a personal thank you note to @AllenCrawley. The shipment costs him a ton, but that wasn't the point.

Allen gets home from a long hike in the desert, only to find the shipment from @Ericito waiting for him. The shipment was HUGE! He opens it up, and the first thing he notices is the thank you note on top, and then the chill from the package because Eric used a crazy amount of temperature controlled dry ice.

Allen unpacks the surprise. Four of the most delicious cheesecakes your eyes have ever seen - what looks like a chocolate one, fresh berries, peanut butter... everything.

Eric doesn't know but Allen is an artistic photographer. He won't allow his family to dig into them until Allen takes the photos. He gets out some cake plates, and after his fistigious arranging, he posts an upload of the cakes to the FastLane forum. Before he even hits send, a half dozen people inquire as to how they can order. Its 11PM before his family is allowed to dig in to the cakes.

The next day, Allen has to figure out to do with these amazing cheesecakes. He calls @biophase and several other prominent forum members, and they agree to attend his cheesecake pool party the following night.

Allen chills the champagne for the perfect evening, as the Fastlane Forum powerhouses converge on his place. Even @MJ DeMarco, who doesn't eat cheesecake, stops over to check out the spectacle.

More photos, as people devour the amazing exotic byproduct of a story that unfolded through the forum. They love it. They want more. They each individually start posting their own reviews. The thread takes an amazing turn as one by one they each endorse Eric's Cheesecakes.

And...

a brand is born.

All it cost him was four cheesecakes, a thank you card, and a bit of ingenuity. Epic. Does anyone watching debate this was a possible outcome? If ever given the chance, this is what you do.

This is very cool. The type of mindset an entrepreneur should have!

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
maybe @Ravens_Shadow could pick me one up and ship it to me? lol

VsX07cZ.gif

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.