The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Elon Musk acquires Twitter, Discuss

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So you would have to pay to allow that feature to work again? (I don't log in through Twitter, am just curious)

It should be on the free tier I think, but they want me to “contact support” and then fill out some long a$$ form that I don’t want to bother with.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, this seems incredibly boneheaded on Musk's part. Likely the beginning of the end.

I don't see CNN, NPR, or any company giving Musk money out of principle.

1685482346458.png

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
There will be angry opinion pieces about it for the first month but then quietly they'll all come on board.

Twitter has made some changes to how videos are uploaded on the platform and allowing various playback speeds etc... very basic stuff but my screentime on the app has gone way up. I'm now watching uploads from some of my favorite geopolitical/economics/finance bloggers on the platform. Previously they would post their thoughts on the site but you'd have to go to Youtube for long form video content. That is changing. He's also allowing them to begin to make a living by having subscribers pay for extra content on the site. Cutting out platforms like Patreon.

His ambition is to turn it into a X platform. Encompassing everything. Similar to the Chinese WeChat.

Years ago the Instagram Direct Messaging system was awful so I continued using Facebook Messenger even without using the newsfeed app. Then Instagram improved DM's and everyone stopped using messenger and went to Instagram instead. Twitter has also been improving its DM features.

Last edited:

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
#Genius
1685509261550.png

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

This is how simple innocent facts get twisted into an agenda.

Not sure how true this is as Twitter is now private. I'm sure it is far less bloated and more profitable. User metrics also aren't down 66%. This likely is merely an accounting gimmick on Fidelity's part.

If I can claim a billion dollar paper loss, it offsets real profits, making them tax free. So in other words, Fidelity has a great incentive to "mark down" this investment as a huge loss if it makes them pay less tax on realized profits.

This is lilkely creative accounting, not Twitter losing 66% of its value.

Perhaps an accountant can chime in.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

In what way has its values dropped.
All user metrics are up.

Did they ask one of the other richest people on the planet what they would pay for it? Lol

If this isn’t creative accounting as MJ said, then it’s probably hit pieces to try undermine Twitters influence.

For sure the mainstream media is worried. Election year is coming up and twitter now has more power than ever.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
it’s probably hit pieces to try undermine Twitters influence.

For sure the mainstream media is worried. Election year is coming up and twitter now has more power than ever.
Bingo!

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
In what way has its values dropped.
All user metrics are up.

Did they ask one of the other richest people on the planet what they would pay for it? Lol

If this isn’t creative accounting as MJ said, then it’s probably hit pieces to try undermine Twitters influence.

No idea to be honest, I don't own Fidelity or am I a part of it. I was merely reposting the article, stating they have marked down the value of their own equity stake in Twitter. No idea why they would lie, or creative account, however like MJ, I'm not an accountant so don't understand the finer points of these things. Thus I'm fully prepared to accept the article is wrong if proved so.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Musk is accused to have manipulated Doge and other Memecoins.
When he s guilty in the end, he will pay his peanuts and make another billion by manipulating via Twitter. If I take this into account, Twitter for him is the way to endless wealth. So what is Twitter worth? To him?

As far as I remember, in April he changed the Twitterlogo with the Doge dog logo to make a 30 % pump in hours. He sold Doge for 130 and made 30m in some hours. In the bear market!
Imo he will pull 100s of b out of Twitter this way. Thats fastlane CENTS par excellence.

Thats where the money is for him. Not in adds or anything.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
No idea to be honest, I don't own Fidelity or am I a part of it. I was merely reposting the article, stating they have marked down the value of their own equity stake in Twitter. No idea why they would lie, or creative account, however like MJ, I'm not an accountant so don't understand the finer points of these things. Thus I'm fully prepared to accept the article is wrong if proved so.

Wasn't directed at you - just how lame the mainstream media is these days.

I don't see any way it hasn't gone up in value:
- It is getting more users
- It for sure has more engagement
- It reduced its overhead costs by a lot (staff etc)
- It has become more influential / important
- It is working on better ads (they always sucked anyway)

To me the underlying asset of something like Twitter is "are people using it".
And Twitters user base is strong atm.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Tuckers new show on Twitter got 169m viewers.

But Twitter is dead guys.

Elon killed it.

I read about it being dead on cnn. Who gets like 200k views.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
I'm starting to think that Twitter will get rid of ads completely. They will charge for the "blue ticks" and they will allow users to have "premium tweets" for subscribers only. They will take a small cut of the subscriptions.

People will use Twitter as the start of their sales funnel. Your Twitter page will be your ad, rather than paying for ads separately.
I agree with JordanK above, it will end up as a blend of Patreon, Twitter, Youtube and Tiktok rolled into one.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Can't say I understand the rebrand to X.

Seems terribly stupid as the brand equity was much of the value in the company.

Now you're literally asking bureaucratic media companies to pivot away from Twitter as changing to "X" implies adoption.

This is the last thing they want to do.

Elon had momentum and inertia on his side... not so much any longer.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Still stuggling with cognitive dissonance, ever since he explained that the goal behind X is getting rid of annoying things like cash ... and because he basically chose the WEF as the new Twitter CEO. Hard not to reevaluate Neuralink in that context. He seems more and more like a long con for the new-normal-agenda.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Now you're literally asking bureaucratic media companies to pivot away from Twitter as changing to "X" implies adoption.

I doubt he actually pivots to X. I think this is just another one of his temporary "gotchas" to get back into the news.

Elon's marketing strategy is just like a circus barker or a yellow journalist (like National Enquirer or Randolph-Hearst) but with more $ 000's.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I doubt he actually pivots to X. I think this is just another one of his temporary "gotchas" to get back into the news.

Elon's marketing strategy is just like a circus barker or a yellow journalist (like National Enquirer or Randolph-Hearst) but with more $ 000's.
That would be epic. I hope he goes back to Twitter in a few weeks just to mess with everyone.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I'm just blinded by his genius.

I particularly like how he's suing the mergers & acquisition company that forced him to buy Twitter for $44,000,000,000 like he publicly stated he would, even though he had done zero due diligence

He states in the recent lawsuit, that the company shouldn't have got their $90,000,000 bonus, because his own original lawsuit was frivolous.

Such amazing genius.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

I think Elon wants Twitter to become like WeChat for the Chinese — meaning that you can do everything through it, including taking payments, sending money, etc.

Twitter is an ok name for a social media, but imo not great if the purpose is to turn the app into the “everything”-app.

X works much better for that.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior

Seems like he's back to trying to recreate WeChat.

That was apparently "the dream" back in early PayPal days but a lot of things stood in the way of that.

Modew

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jun 23, 2023
I think Elon wants Twitter to become like WeChat for the Chinese — meaning that you can do everything through it, including taking payments, sending money, etc.

Twitter is an ok name for a social media, but imo not great if the purpose is to turn the app into the “everything”-app.

I think the biggest part that he is wiping away how "tweeting" has become part of the language we use.

Similar to Hoovering or Xeroxing (I do know both of those brands are not so main stream anymore)

Feel there could have been a different path (like xtweet, twitter by x, or done a bird noise things like tweets or chirps).

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

Doesn’t WeChat basically have a monopoly because it’s like the Chinese govt?

Seems ridiculous to try and do this on an app that was already really niche before he started going against the govt, and now is even less mainstream.

He’s just paving the way for Zuk to copy him with these features on Zuks way more popular, friendly with the govt app

If people aren’t advertising on Twitter then people aren’t buying things on Twitter, so wtf does it need a payment platform for?

If companies refuse to advertise with him, I’m sure they’ll refuse or ignore accepting his new payment method

He’s got a vision for sure, be interesting to see how he grows it from here

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Oct 16, 2022
I've been pretty happy with everything Elon has done with Twitter so far, but this move to X is both dumb, sad, and a waste of time.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I've been pretty happy with everything Elon has done with Twitter so far, but this move to X is both dumb, sad, and a waste of time.
Everyone is overreacting. This is a consumer thing and a marketing thing. It's all about the news. You're doing it. We're all doing it.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Threads.net anyone? Haha I guess it's time to leave Twitter... wait.... X haha!

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
“In response to questions about what tweets would be called when the rebranding is done, Musk said they would be called "Xs."”

Bruh

I mean he seems to be able to do anything

But it seems hard enough to create a verb let alone throw it all away and try to get everyone to start using a different one

Tweeted = xed?

I tweeted at him

I xed at him

He xed about my ex on his x

He xed at my ex

I don’t know man

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
“In response to questions about what tweets would be called when the rebranding is done, Musk said they would be called "Xs."”

Bruh

I mean he seems to be able to do anything

But it seems hard enough to create a verb let alone throw it all away and try to get everyone to start using a different one

Tweeted = xed?

I tweeted at him

I xed at him

He xed about my ex on his x

He xed at my ex

I don’t know man
I agree with what you're saying, but I think that's looking at it too literally. He's not just swapping the name and keeping the business as-in. What we know as "Twitter" will be a small part of a larger ecosystem he's calling X. "Tweeting" will be a part of what X is going to become. I don't think X will look anything like it does in 5 years. I think he bought Twitter for the users and I trust he'll do exceptionally well long-term. Whatever he decides to call it will be worth much more than what he paid for Twitter. I really have no doubt about it.

Whatever happens, it will be very interesting to reread this thread in five years.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Doesn’t WeChat basically have a monopoly because it’s like the Chinese govt?

Seems ridiculous to try and do this on an app that was already really niche before he started going against the govt, and now is even less mainstream.

He’s just paving the way for Zuk to copy him with these features on Zuks way more popular, friendly with the govt app

If people aren’t advertising on Twitter then people aren’t buying things on Twitter, so wtf does it need a payment platform for?

If companies refuse to advertise with him, I’m sure they’ll refuse or ignore accepting his new payment method

He’s got a vision for sure, be interesting to see how he grows it from here
Yup, and it has spyware up the wazoo!!

A friend of mine was working with some Chinese supermarkets via the Chinese government, and they insisted he install WeChat on his phone.

Basically, they used it to spy on him, I didn't believe it at first, but then I blatantly heard weird clicking on his phone, and one time even got a snippet of someone speaking Chinese, as if we had a cross line.

So yeah, giving that much control to one individual, is a really, like really, bad idea.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.