The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

eCommerce Supply Question

Npl9

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Dec 27, 2014
I have an idea for an ecommerce website, but I'm a little unsure about this part. I'll be selling a number of different products, mostly sourced from overseas. However, I'm not sure how to keep them in stock. My problem is I have very little money and no place for storage. I could be able to get enough of 1 or 2 products, but I don't have enough money or space to pay for MOQs for multiple things. What are my options about getting my products and then selling them to customers? Hopefully this question makes sense.

I suppose drop shipping would take care of the storage issue, but I'm still left with the money thing. Do I simply have to either find more money or sell 1 or 2 products to start?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Start with one product. If it sells, scale it. It it scales profitably, add more products.

Npl9

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Dec 27, 2014
I'll just give a little bit of information..

I'm interested in selling art/designs/decoration type things specifically aimed at college students for their dorm rooms. I'm a freshman in college and myself and my friends are having a difficult time finding nice looking decorations without paying hundreds of dollars. I'm not sure how I could start a website geared toward dorm decoration with only one product.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Just like EVERYONE else.

Start with some samples. 100 bucks. Test and sell them, order more. Find suppliers that will let you buy a lower MQO.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
At 1 or 2 pieces, just ask your supplier you're doing a sample order. Of course you'll pay much higher (1 piece shipping from China is expensive, unless you're product is small and don't mind waiting 30 days). Take the samples, sell them, doesn't matter if you're at a loss and go from there.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
Get a job, rent a storage unit, hustle at night.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
How many college students are looking to decorate their dorms with art/designs or with anything at all?

Now many. Now, those who are, are they willing to spend much money to do so? You just said they/you don't.

Small niche, small need/profits. You need to find a problem worth solving.

I don't think I am wrong, but if I am, prove me wrong. (Seriously)

Btw, Ikea.

Npl9

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Dec 27, 2014
How many college students are looking to decorate their dorms with art/designs or with anything at all?

Now many. Now, those who are, are they willing to spend much money to do so? You just said they/you don't.

Btw, Ikea.

Well every college student I know. I've talked to my friends and they thought it was a good idea.

The idea is that they wouldn't have to spend as much, that's the problem I'm solving. All of the stuff out there right now is way overpriced for what you get.

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urba...L&cm_sp=NAV_HOVER-_-APARTMENT-_-A_FURN_WALL#/

https://www.jackthreads.com/accessories/artwork/293

http://www.pbteen.com/shop/accessories/canvas-wall-art/?cm_type=gnav

I would be able to offer the same types of artwork, designs, whatever as these and at a lower price, one that is more likely to appeal to college students. Also I realized that it doesn't have to be marketed specifically at college students, it could be more of a low cost aesthetic supply kind of thing for young people in general. I also think I would be able to market my brand/website much better than anyone else.

In reference to Ikea, it would be about the same, just different (better) selection.

I also thought that, beyond importing from China, this could give a way for college art students to sell some of their work. They normally wouldn't have a market and wouldn't think about selling their work, but this could offer one. I would easily be able to start this at my school and if it worked would be easy to expand.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington

Btw, Ikea.
at least he is talking to his target audience?
good job op

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Get creative. How bad do you want it?

I moved home at 28 and stored stuff in my parents garage.

My friend who runs a multi-million dollar business started in his apartment closet.

Many businesses were started out of car trunks, closets, and parent's garages - because the people that started them didn't make excuses.

Get a credit card, take a risk, and store the stuff ANYWHERE you possibly can.

Stop making excuses. Go.

Npl9

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Dec 27, 2014
Get creative. How bad do you want it?

I moved home at 28 and stored stuff in my parents garage.

My friend who runs a multi-million dollar business started in his apartment closet.

Many businesses were started out of car trunks, closets, and parent's garages - because the people that started them didn't make excuses.

Get a credit card, take a risk, and store the stuff ANYWHERE you possibly can.

Stop making excuses. Go.

I'm not making excuses, I'm using a resource (this forum) to plan a course of action. Trying to find different possibilities so I can make more informed decisions. I'm just recognizing that I don't know very much, and some people here do.

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013
Plan a course of action is good if you dont get too absorved on it.

You dont need to spend too much time in planning a course of action. And if you think you have too, is just your brain giving you an excuse to stay quiet without getting dirty.

No matter how many hours you spend planning , you will only start learning and get something when you put yourself out there. You have to experience it to really learn some lessons in business.

"80% of success is showing up".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.