The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Earning money from religion, is it ethical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristofferR

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Mar 24, 2011
http://kristofferR.com
I've been thinking about the ethicality of earning money from religion. As an atheist I believe all religion are myths created by the human need for knowledge, but I have no problems with modern and tolerant non-hating expression of religion. Everybody should have the freedom of believing in anything they want as long as it is not infringing on the rights of others.

However, what do you guys think about using religion as a unique selling position? All the time I see ordinary products/services selling extraordinarily well just because they're positioned as the Christian alternative. I'm not thinking about scamming anyone or claiming that I've met God or anything like that. Just using Christianity/other religions if there's a market as a unique selling point for products/services that would be quite ordinary otherwise.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 5, 2011
People are doing it every day, all the time. I would say no.

I wonder what resistance you have if you're an athiest anyway?

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
[video=youtube;P8AqyEPkX3A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8AqyEPkX3A[/video]

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
This conversation is very likely to turn very nasty very fast.

D

Deleted21961

Why? It's just strange to ask other people about ethics. Doesn't kristofferR know what he considers good or evil?

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
How do you define ethics without being religious?

Right. Because ethics must all come from religion, there no such thing as common sense.

I think the question is: "How do you define something un-ethical, with-out looking at religious institutions"

(Not bashing directly on any religious person in here, I just find it funny how people tend to believe on the legitimacy of an institution led by Men, with hundreds of years of terrifying actions.)

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
I've got an interesting perspective on this topic. One of my buddies is starting a business centered around helping Christian groups fundraise more effectively. Essentially, they will be selling his product, earn a nice sized up front payment for each sold, but then also earn a little money in perpetuity.

It is pretty neat, he makes money of off religious establishments, but he is also meeting a need and helping solve some fundraising issues.

I think that he is doin it morally, but it can be done incorrectly as well.

D

Deleted21961

Right. Because ethics must all come from religion, there no such thing as common sense.

I think the question is: "How do you define something un-ethical, with-out looking at religious institutions"

(Not bashing directly on any religious person in here, I just find it funny how people tend to believe on the legitimacy of an institution led by Men, with hundreds of years of terrifying actions.)
Right, because religions must all come from institutions.
Oh, I don't care about institutions. My question was more like:
"How do you define ethics without resorting to some transcendental instance?"
Your "common sense" is no answer to this, because everyone has his/her own common sense, despite calling it "common".
But if ethics doesn't come from gods or other higher instance, then it is as arbitrary as ice cream flavor you like, which is my stand on it.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
However, what do you guys think about using religion as a unique selling position? All the time I see ordinary products/services selling extraordinarily well just because they're positioned as the Christian alternative. I'm not thinking about scamming anyone or claiming that I've met God or anything like that. Just using Christianity/other religions if there's a market as a unique selling point for products/services that would be quite ordinary otherwise.
You are targeting a niche like any other. I can see the ethical dilemma in, for example, selling water from Lourdes if you don't believe in it. But in your case, it's no different than targeting any other group of people. You can sell an accounting solution for carpenters, you can sell an accounting solution for Christian churches. My point - you are using religion as a way to group people in marketable segments, the nature of the grouping is not relevant.
"How do you define ethics without resorting to some transcendental instance?"
You don't need religion or transcendental beings to define ethics. If you are actually interested, you should pick up some works of relevant philosophers - you will walk away from that a changed man, I can assure you.

Last edited:

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut

An unmet need is an unmet need. As long as there is money to be made in it ... step right up and praise the lord! Salvation can be yours ... for three easy payments of $9.99. Buy now.

With that said ... religious fundamentalists ... are not my crowd. So from a quality of life standpoint ... I would rather promote other goods and services. I don't want to hang with a crowd that wants to take me church (and thinks I want to go). After all ... business is not just about money ... it is also about building a network of social contacts (or, at least, for me it is).

Ethics has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted21961

You don't need religion or transcendental beings to define ethics. If you are actually interested, you should pick up some works of relevant philosophers - you will walk away from that a changed man, I can assure you.
I was just curious about kristofferR's opinion on it. Have studied philosophers from Plato to Voegelin, but don't need neither religion, nor philosophy, nor ethics.
My personal opinion is that ethics doesn't exist, so you know...

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
Target whoever, but dont say something along the lines of "were a Christian organization" if youre not because its fraud and one day shit will hit the fan. Maybe someone sees your forum post saying you're an atheist :)

MorgothBauglir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Dec 23, 2013
Ethics depends on your intent. If your intent is to leverage something you believe to be bullshit in order to make money, I think we both know that what you'd be doing is morally questionable, if not objectively immoral.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
But if ethics doesn't come from gods or other higher instance, then it is as arbitrary as ice cream flavor you like, which is my stand on it.

Glad we agree on it then. (Although not exactly the same, is the same kind of though and why I define myself as Agnostic)

Theist: "Do you believe in God?"
Ignostic: "What is 'God'?"

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
I was just thinking this morning how religious institutions don't have to pay taxes, but collect huge piles of money.
So instead of starting a new thread, I used the SF and hitchhiked this one. Sorry everyone for distracting you.

And no @Grzegorz Gołda , it wasn't ethical, I'm obviously pure evil

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Amazing, what part of "no religion" is not clear? It's two words: NO and RELIGION.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!