The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dumb question, but is the Fastlane Bookstore (“Books Fastlaners Recommend" in any particular order?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Sorry if that’s a dumb question, but based off your guys’ recommendations I was gonna pick up a few of the ones I haven’t seen and if they were in order I’d start with the most important ones. I notice that Unscripted and TMF are in the first 5, so maybe this list is tiered or ordered somehow.

Are the top books near the beginning, while the less important ones are toward the end?

And if they’re not in order maybe you can hold a vote or something to see a good way to order them?

@MJ DeMarco , @Andy Black , @AllenCrawley

Books Fastlaners Recommend

Thanks guys. ;D

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

Blackadder

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Sep 17, 2013
The Ozark Mountains
Yep that was it!

My top choice

How to get rich by Felix Dennis

His advice about owning your core company 100% will echo with you every time you read about Steve Jobs, Mr Selfridge, Mr money mustache and count other buisness men being tossed from their companies without even a thought. That one line of advice could have kept many men wealthy and happy. (And he speaks from experience there, by his own account he spent 100 million on hookers and blow over a decade, and as he owned the company 100% no one could kick him out.)

So keep your company read “how to get rich”

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The most important book/article is the one that will help you solve the problem you’re currently confronted with.

Not knocking reading higher level stuff. That helps too. I just find it works better to read about stuff I’m taking action on.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
The most important book/article is the one that will help you solve the problem you’re currently confronted with.

Not knocking reading higher level stuff. That helps too. I just find it works better to read about stuff I’m taking action on.

Yes.

Read, interpret, apply.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Are the top books near the beginning, while the less important ones are toward the end?

They're in no particular order, just added as I hear 'em.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

I agree, but I drive a lot so I like to have a number of Audiobooks to play in the background. Also when I’m mowing the lawn, going to the gym, etc. I just let the higher level stuff rock when I’m doing my thing.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ha, that’s funny because I was just looking at your post where you were just learning what podcasts were, so I guess you liked them

NOTABLE! - AndyTalks with Forum Members (Master Thread)
Oh, I’ve liked podcasts and audio books for a long while. Especially when I had to commute each day.

I just didn’t know whether I’d created a podcast myself by just recording chats and putting them up on Soundcloud, or whether it needed something else.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
They're in no particular order, just added as I hear 'em.

Can I make a recommendation?

Mindware: Tools for Smart Thinking by Richard E. Nisbett

Read the description of the book on goodreads, it says it all.

It’s so fundamental to accurate thinking. It takes the things being taught about the scientific method and allows you to apply them to real life. Accurate thinking may sound boring, but flawed reasoning leads to flawed results.

Another one is Julia Ross’s book “The Mood Cure: The 4-Step Program to Take Charge of Your Emotions--Today". I posted a thread on another forum about her books and it started a sh--storm. Like page and pages of people saying it changed their lives. They’re books about nutrition and she explains how nutrition drastically improves our mood, focus and performance. It’s not fluffy self-help crap. It’s real, actionable advice.

If you read the reviews on Amazon/Goodreads you’ll see:

This book is a miracle. Can't say enough. Who knew that a fifteen-year anxiety problem could be caused by a dietary problem. I made a few changes to my diet and took some amino acid supplements, and the problem went away. It's a quick read, and the explanations make so much sense. This is one of those books that you wish you could share with everyone.

I started implementing the recommendations in this book, and I'm feeling better in less than a week! I only started with one supplement so if I improve, then I'd know exactly what was working. There's one more I want to try now.

Those are my 'Top 3 of All Time' when I include Unscripted ... which I enjoyed thoroughly.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Mindware:

Many scientific and philosophical ideas are so powerful that they can be applied to our lives at home and work and school to help us think smarter and more effectively about our behaviour and the world around us. Surprisingly, many of these ideas remain unknown to most of us.
In Mindware, the world-renowned psychologist Richard Nisbett presents these ideas in clear and accessible detail, offering a tool kit for better thinking and wiser decisions. He has made a distinguished career of studying and teaching such powerful problem-solving concepts as the law of large numbers, statistical regression, cost-benefit analysis, sunk costs and opportunity costs, and causation and correlation, probing how best to teach others to use them effectively in their daily lives.
In this groundbreaking book, he shows that a course in a given field--statistics or economics, for example--often doesn't work as well as a few minutes of more practical instruction in analyzing everyday situations. Mindware shows how to reframe common problems in such a way that these powerful scientific and statistical concepts can be applied to them. The result is an enlightening and practical guide to the most powerful tools of reasoning ever developed--tools that can easily be used to make better professional, business and personal decisions.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Another one is Julia Ross’s book “The Mood Cure: The 4-Step Program to Take Charge of Your Emotions--Today". I posted a thread on another forum about her books and it started a sh--storm. Like page and pages of people saying it changed their lives. They’re books about nutrition and she explains how nutrition drastically improves our mood, focus and performance. It’s not fluffy self-help crap. It’s real, actionable advice.

She dogs vegan/vegetarianism and provides no data/sources to back up those claims, so I'll pass.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
She dogs vegan/vegetarianism and provides no data/sources to back up those claims, so I'll pass.

I’m guessing you’ve read it

I don’t think her claims were specifically anti-vegetarian.. I think her point is that vegetarians, if not careful, are at greater risk of a protein deficiency.

Edit: Yea, I just ran a search and that’s what it looks like (tryptophan being a protein)

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 4.59.45 PM.png

Matter of fact she even has a full chapter on how vegetarians can get adequate protein.

I dunno.. whenever I recommend that book to people they rant and rave how it changed their lives.

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 5.09.35 PM.png

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Oh, I’ve liked podcasts and audio books for a long while. Especially when I had to commute each day.

I just didn’t know whether I’d created a podcast myself by just recording chats and putting them up on Soundcloud, or whether it needed something else.
Why don’t you upload your AndyTalks to iTunes as a Podcast?

I would subscribe to that cast and it’s probably so east just to copy them over.

Maybe even give them a title so non-forum members can figure out what they are.

“AndyTalksBiz” ... I mean it would add a ton of value.

Such a great time we live in where value is literally copy/pastable ;D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.