The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dressing For Success... Stop looking like a fool.

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
What do you think of the Allen Edmond "Lloyd" shoes for business casual? (Or maybe even in a non-black suit?) Would they look strange for that? I just bought a pre-owned pair in excellent condition off of ebay for $45.
lloyd.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
What do you think of the Allen Edmond "Lloyd" shoes for business casual? (Or maybe even in a non-black suit?) Would they look strange for that? I just bought a pre-owned pair in excellent condition off of ebay for $45.
View attachment 25389
When I was young, and a trophy wife, the people at the corporation that employed my husband judged others on the shoes that they wore. Good call. Shine them up and put them on.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
View attachment 25389
View attachment 25389
These are good.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Haven't read the whole thread so sorry if this was already answered...

I still have a slowlane job. Is it okay to dress better than your boss?

I typically wear jeans, polo, street boots, watch. I've intended to upgrade to jeans, button down, loafers, watch. But perhaps I should go to <better pants>, button down, sport coat, loafers, watch?

:happy:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States

I snagged a few allen edmunds on ebay for $40-50 a pop as well. Great condition. I love them!

I'll post a pic in this thread sometime.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Why are you guys cutting your own hair?

Find a stylist with good reviews. Spend the $50 on an "overpriced haircut". Get it done right.

Hair is the easiest way to change your appearance for the better:

before-after-men-haircut-transformations-231-59dcc9c576c01__700.jpg

before-after-men-haircut-transformations-223-59dcb4647bb14__700.jpg

a6cc54d2261b64674edacd83e3a9a1ee.jpg

before-after-men-haircut-transformations-122-59e0585fa4889__700.jpg

59e0d04946b86-before-after-men-haircut-transformations-241-59de25f83a7bc__700.jpg

79799181422befae4ffab915e1ae7514.png

These are just some random pictures I took off of Google Images.

Haircuts are a fraction of the cost of clothing per year and improve your appearance drastically. You can choose exactly the perception that you want to give off and all it costs is an hour and a little bit of money.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I snagged a few allen edmunds on ebay for $40-50 a pop as well. Great condition. I love them!

I'll post a pic in this thread sometime.

Another tip:

Go on slickdeals.net.
Make an account.
Set up an alert for the keyword "Allen Edmonds".

3-4 times per year they have sales. Buy a few pair of shoes - the main colors and styles you need.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I'm cutting my own hair, too. But I have the Jeff Bezos/The Rock/Vin Diesel hairstyle. 0,4mm machine cut on the head, which almost looks like a wet shave (using this machine) and wet shaved face. Has to be done nearly every day...

IMO the guys in your example pics went from hippie/surfer to metrosexual. Not really professional, but obviously an improvement...

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
I'm a fan of the suits of Suit Supply, quite a big player and found in my city!

NVious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 12, 2015
Most important fashion tips:

If you're going to spend money, SPEND ON A WATCH, SHOES AND A HAT aka things you wear all the time, THUS YOU GET THE BEST BANG FOR BUCK!

The important thing is NOT name brand, it's FIT and colors that work well with your skin tone and body type

Also make sure you take care of your body, no you don't need to be "jacked," but don't be a sloppy oaf. Being 14-16% bodyfat (for men, women it's obv higher) with muscle mass is impressive to the average person and incredibly easy to maintain, so take care of yourself as well, you want to talk about wearing things 24/7? Try looking up this thing called your "body" apparently you can't get rid of it!

Finally, make sure you have GOOD POSTURE, there is nothing worse than seeing a good looking or even fit person with a hunched back or severe posture issues, especially in the day and age when you can correct that shit in a few weeks

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
View attachment 25389

They are awesome for about all but the most formal business occasions. Nicely done. I have a well loved pair of Allen Edmond wingtips in black as well. Those look nicer than mine.

You should also look for a captoe which can encapsulate everything but the least formal like wearing jeans with a sport coat. I will even wear a well polished captoe with a tuxedo.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
When I was young, and a trophy wife, the people at the corporation that employed my husband judged others on the shoes that they wore. Good call. Shine them up and put them on.

This is no joke... Whether or not someone is wearing a good suit is harder to tell than good shoes. Crap shoes are a dead giveaway.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Find a stylist with good reviews. Spend the $50 on an "overpriced haircut". Get it done right.

Hair is the easiest way to change your appearance for the better:

before-after-men-haircut-transformations-231-59dcc9c576c01__700.jpg

before-after-men-haircut-transformations-223-59dcb4647bb14__700.jpg

a6cc54d2261b64674edacd83e3a9a1ee.jpg

before-after-men-haircut-transformations-122-59e0585fa4889__700.jpg

59e0d04946b86-before-after-men-haircut-transformations-241-59de25f83a7bc__700.jpg

79799181422befae4ffab915e1ae7514.png

These are just some random pictures I took off of Google Images.

Haircuts are a fraction of the cost of clothing per year and improve your appearance drastically. You can choose exactly the perception that you want to give off and all it costs is an hour and a little bit of money.

I agree that men should absolutely have well taken care of hair. Your advice is not one size fits all though.

The only reason that I cut my own hair is that I trust myself more than I trust a barber at this point. I literally know I will do a good job. My hair is always perfect and never hipster.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
IMO the guys in your example pics went from hippie/surfer to metrosexual. Not really professional, but obviously an improvement...

Lol. I just took the first five images off google. There weren't many pictures of non-metrosexual guys that agreed to do before and after pictures.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Kak, many thanks for taking the time to help elevate our fashion sense!

I work in a corporate setting, and am used to business professional/casual attire for our business meetings. One thing I've strayed away from, has been revealing my tattoos. I have a few on my chest and on my arms, and I absolutely love them. If I unbutton my dress shirt how I would normally wear it, you can catch glimpses of my tattoos. I personally love this look, I think it communicates that I'm a professional, well dressed, well mannered, well groomed individual, but that I've got my own personality and am not afraid to share who I am with the world.

At the same time, I work in a conservative sector with most of my peers in their 50s and 60s, there are very few young people at our not-too-long-ago entrepreneurial and small company. I've kept my buttons closed so as to not sound off any alarms with our leadership team, but I would love to be more expressive of who I am.

My question for you is, if attire/grooming/hygiene/style is all immaculate, would it appear unprofessional if I complemented the look with tattoos? I just want to reveal my inner-badass and not be afraid of who I am, but I don't want to lose credibility in first-impression scenarios. What's your take?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
If anyone wants an intro, send me a message. I don't wear suits as much since it's not suitable for my business, but used to order bespoke suits from China (suits made from scratch to perfectly fit your body).

Basically the process:

Pick a suit from a magazine, tv show, or high end clothing brand you like.
Get your measurements.
Send the image to the Chinese connect. Have them price it out.
Get a perfectly fitting suit for $130 to $300.

The price difference was based on the quality of materials and the expertise of the tailor that they used.

Could be a good way for you guys to get top suits for cheap.

DavidTT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Aug 3, 2016
I agree that men should absolutely have well taken care of hair. Your advice is not one size fits all though.

The only reason that I cut my own hair is that I trust myself more than I trust a barber at this point. I literally know I will do a good job. My hair is always perfect and never hipster.
+1

Cutting your own hair is the way to go. It's also much easier than I expected it. I started cutting them myself one day when I was so broke (only had $30) and had to choose between either eating or getting a haircut and I told myself, f*ck it, I have to eat ahah. Not to mention, I could not find a consistent barber nor was my haircut ever 100% the way I wanted it. Once I started cutting it myself, it a million times better!!!

The thing about hair is that it's one of the only things that we don't have control over when it comes to our appearance. We shave and dress up and cut our nails etc but it is very rare that I person cuts their own hair and if they do, it's often only a buzzcut. However, if you do your own haircut, once you're used to it, it's as good at it gets.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Most important fashion tips:
Kak, many thanks for taking the time to help elevate our fashion sense!

There is a difference between timeless professionalism and fashion. A fashion forward man will often times look like a flashy douche.

The word fashion is wrong. It reminds me of 30k millionaires, not real ones. A guy interested in fashion probably leased an Audi A4 and wears polyester suits from banana republic with a $200 mall watch.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
My question for you is, if attire/grooming/hygiene/style is all immaculate, would it appear unprofessional if I complemented the look with tattoos? I just want to reveal my inner-badass and not be afraid of who I am, but I don't want to lose credibility in first-impression scenarios. What's your take?

Sorry brother not a fan. If I had tattoos I would cover them up completely for professional business dealings.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If anyone wants an intro, send me a message. I don't wear suits as much since it's not suitable for my business, but used to order bespoke suits from China (suits made from scratch to perfectly fit your body).

Basically the process:

Get your measurements.

The price difference was based on the quality of materials and the expertise of the tailor that they used.

I'd try this! Thanks for the tip.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
This is no joke... Whether or not someone is wearing a good suit is harder to tell than good shoes. Crap shoes are a dead giveaway.
Could it be the same for the ladies? Are the professional gals also judged in that same manner?

I hear that high-heels can be quite stressing for the feet, yet I see the business ladies wear them all year round to meetings and such.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Could it be the same for the ladies? Are the professional gals also judged in that same manner?

I hear that high-heels can be quite stressing for the feet, yet I see the business ladies wear them all year round to meetings and such.

I have almost no clue about business attire for women. The only thing I have observed is an extremely wide variety of clothing that works. I guess they have a lot more flexibility than men.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

Basically the process:

Get your measurements.

I remember watching Anthony Bourdain - The Layover one night. He got a custom suit made in Hong Kong. Very interesting to watch that.

John D.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Aug 26, 2016
Well Built Style is one resource I follow that consistently provides solid advice on how to look sharp by utilising classic, versatile pieces of clothing.

The author argues that the timeless, classic look is superior to the flashy, balls-tight skinny jeans style you see on the streets nowadays.

His blog and twitter have been pure gold for me.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
@Kak If it isn’t a hassle, would it be okay if you post an outfit that you would wear?

There’s a lot of gold in this thread, but I’m having a hard time actually visualizing, let alone trying to think, “what would match.” But I also do find the posts relating to one item as well. Once I get back in the U.S, I’m for sure having my measurements taken at an Allen Edmonds store.

In addition, I’m just now learning that a button down collar isn’t necessarily business. (That alone, rings the alarms on how far behind I am.) Would you recommend a spread collar instead?

Thank you

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
When inside Starbucks, I usually wear T-shirt with shorts and crocs. :)

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
@Kak Any thoughts on hair styling products? Gel, pomade... dos and dont's of putting stuff in your hair?

New territory for me... trying to figure out to get it consistent... and balancing hold with look.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@Kak Any thoughts on hair styling products? Gel, pomade... dos and dont's of putting stuff in your hair?

New territory for me... trying to figure out to get it consistent... and balancing hold with look.

I use light hold hairspray out of convenience. I spray it in when my hair is still wet after I shower and run the comb through my hair. It looks more relaxed as the day goes on.

awestbro

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 13, 2018
West Virginia

I've tried a lot of different stuff. This is the best balance of hold/ look I've found so far. Very matte, not shiny, doesn't leave residue in your hair over time.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
wow! interesting and most well known.

I nearly allways wear jeans and Tshirt, when it comes on business and work things. I love it to see people to be convinced through me and not through my look.

I dont like Allen Edmonds and similar. Maybe I should wear them, but I dont like them. They stay in my wardrobe.
I dont like wearing a watch, I hate them. I sold most of them.

Yes, its possible to wear alternative wear and I dare.

But I m old and I can afford that luxury!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.