The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dressing For Success... Stop looking like a fool.

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
It has come to my attention that few people give this enough thought.

A common theme of my posts is thinking big and leadership. Both of these REQUIRE interaction with other people. Sure you can build some onepreneur super outsourced company and make good money... But the VAST majority of the extremely wealthy got that way by making strategic deals, establishing influence and leading others.

Which brings me to LOOKING THE PART. It's popular, and often considered a badge of honor, in entrepreneurial circles to not own a suit, to almost intentionally dress like shit and not give a F*ck. To that, I ask, why? To what end?

I have learned how to dress properly when interacting with influential politicians and high-level C suite executives of very large companies. I have learned how to dress properly when I have to approach the lower offices with hourly workers. From formal meetings to business lunches, I have done it all. To say looking professional in every single interaction pertaining to your business is important would be an understatement.

Now, I'm no expert, but I am observant and have years of experience meeting people in person. There is no excuse not to look your best and present like someone who can back up the talk. It also doesn't have to be expensive.

Ask me anything.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
I enjoy Eastern spirituality for its simplicity and non duality. In those philosophies you are taught to look at everything the same. A homeless man, a rich man, a stone or a nugget of gold you're to look it at with the same eyes. Even though I do my best to follow those principles, I know other people do not.

The majority of people judge you by what you wear. Specially in today's western society where people wear the things which they identify with. In my case I'm sort of stuck in my teenage years style wise. I have no clue where to even begin to change my dressing style. I dress like I just came out of 2006's rap music video (without the baggy pants). On top of that I'm a minimalist, if you went in my closet you are only going to find some white t's and jeans and one pair of shoes.

Honestly I'm starting not to like that, for the simple fact that I know people are judging me for what I wear. I don't mind buying more items to add to my closet to get a new look even if it means breaking the rules of minimalism. Can you please help me get a new style. I want something simple, something that I can wear everyday but still looks business like.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

You'd look great if you were a mafioso undertaker from the Jersey Shore about to go to a ridiculous club after work... Not to a business meeting. Still better than the Zuckerberg hoodie.

The biggest problem is not enough contrast between the shirt and suit. The suit is solid black, which, outside of very formal circumstances, can make you look like the help, or an orthodox Jew wearing it for religious purposes. I can almost completely reccommend against buying black unless it is a tuxedo for a black tie event. Shirts need to be ironed. I have the cleaners use starch on the collars and cuffs.

A white shirt and a nice blue or red tie would clean this up and make it very business appropriate, but get yourself a gray or navy suit with very subtle patterning soon if you don't already have one. That would be very versatile.

Unbutton the bottom button and never button it again.

On a 2 button jacket. Unbutton the top button when you sit, rebuttoning it when you stand. Unbutton it when you walk outside on a hot day. Roll unbuttoned to make it a bit more casual if the situation calls for it. I would do it even more often because of the formality of the solid black suit.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks @Kak . All you say is true and correct. Except... when you no longer need someone else's approval... thus Zuckerberg...

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Thanks @Kak . All you say is true and correct. Except... when you no longer need someone else's approval... thus Zuckerberg...

I won't even pretend for a second that I know what its like to be Mark Zuckerberg. Those of you that know me absolutely know that I am not out to appease others, however, professionalism and dressing the part is absolutely in my best interest.

Hell, it is probably in Zuckerbergs best interest too, whether he cares or not. He can afford not to, but most on this forum, like myself, can't.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Thanks, @Kak!

Now, many 9-5ers hate this apparatus....NECKTIES.

But I guess it's part of the attire.
What tie colours would you prefer? Why?
And do you have a standardized way of tying a tie? I used to wear one to school every day, I just tied my ties without strict measurements....so I got a random length of tie many times until I had some kind of gut feeling behind tying ties correctly lol.

And on shoes, I feel the definition between a formal shoes and non-formal is pretty blur, given that I have seen businesspeople wearing LOAFERS...felt weird to me.

@Kak, how would you pick your shoes? Is it the Kingsman saying: 'Oxfords, not Brogues'?:playful:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Thanks for doing this. I have two questions.

1. Can you share pictures of what kind of suits/outfits you'd recommend everyone have in their closet? I'm planning to get some new ones made.
2. My business requires a lot of blue collar sales and I find it detrimental to over dress as it loses trust with the customer. Would you agree? Or how would you sell to blue collar small business owners?

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
2. My business requires a lot of blue collar sales and I find it detrimental to over dress as it loses trust with the customer. Would you agree? Or how would you sell to blue collar small business owners?
Maybe just a regular office shirt would do fine? With short sleeves, as it may get hot in factory locations?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Maybe just a regular office shirt would do fine? With short sleeves, as it may get hot in factory locations?

I currently go with long pants, sneakers that can get dirty since I go on construction sites, and a nice polo.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Thanks for doing this. I have two questions.

1. Can you share pictures of what kind of suits/outfits you'd recommend everyone have in their closet? I'm planning to get some new ones made.

Yes, will do.

Is this blue collar sales role your primary need?

Weird question, but what part of the country are you in?

Jeans and a sport coat work great in Texas and probably most of The South for anything from blue collar/meetings with the working class, up to lunch meetings at all, but formal venues.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Thanks, @Kak!

Now, many 9-5ers hate this apparatus....NECKTIES.

But I guess it's part of the attire.
What tie colours would you prefer? Why?
And do you have a standardized way of tying a tie? I used to wear one to school every day, I just tied my ties without strict measurements....so I got a random length of tie many times until I had some kind of gut feeling behind tying ties correctly lol.

And on shoes, I feel the definition between a formal shoes and non-formal is pretty blur, given that I have seen businesspeople wearing LOAFERS...felt weird to me.

@Kak, how would you pick your shoes? Is it the Kingsman saying: 'Oxfords, not Brogues'?:playful:

Shoes for a suit... Hands down Oxford lace ups. I prefer cap toe or wingtip with leather soles. I wear Allen Edmonds.

Wingtips can work well for more casual stuff too so if I was buying one pair they would be black wingtips.

Cap toe is more formal.

I would argue that there is a large difference between a dress shoe and shoes that would be worn with a tux which are generally a super high gloss patent leather.

Ties... Whatever, I buy conservative patterns. Not weird things. I am not a fan of skinny ties. I like red and blue the best. I usually use a half Windsor knot... Look it up. I have never found a need for anything else. A full Windsor can be a big bolder knot if you're feeling like it. You have to just practice to get the length right.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Shoes for a suit... Hands down Oxford lace ups. I prefer cap toe or wingtip with leather soles. I wear Allen Edmonds.

Wingtips can work well for more casual stuff too so if I was buying one pair they would be black wingtips.

Cap toe is more formal.
Ohhhh now I know what to call them!!! (after a googling session on wingtip images) Where I come from, everyone just calls them 'smart shoes' lol....

I must have surrounded myself with some folks who are less aware of the nicer things in business.

I think I have what you call cap toes. Don't think it is Allen Edmonds though. I don't think the brand is in my country anyways, unless it s a minority brand here.

Now on belts, @Kak, what would you recommend? Anything more special than the ordinary?

And on socks, somehow I have spotted folks wearing short white socks with the shoes, and it doesn't feel good to me intuitively. What do you typically wear? The longer dress socks?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Now on belts, @Kak, what would you recommend? Anything more special than the ordinary?

And on socks, somehow I have spotted folks wearing short white socks with the shoes, and it doesn't feel good to me intuitively. What do you typically wear? The longer dress socks?

Belt- The ultimate would be to buy one that matches the styling of the shoes. Otherwise just match the color.

Socks- You can't go wrong by matching the slacks. Yes long dress socks. No wild patterns, subtle conservative patterning if any.

Cruze

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 6, 2016
Really interesting thread - and thats right. The first impressive to your business partner is very important. You perceive someone in a different way who is well dressed than when he comes around the corner wearing T-shirts and flip-flops.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Really interesting thread - and thats right. The first impressive to your business partner is very important. You perceive someone in a different way who is well dressed than when he comes around the corner wearing T-shirts and flip-flops.
Same goes for university.

I have never been so disgusted seeing male peers coming in dressed in lazy slippers, dressed rather weakly in sleepy t-shirts, and looking as if they came to take a nap than attend a class (and yes, they do take naps in class!). Turns out that the free-loaders in group projects also DRESS shabbily. So, that can be a red flag to look out for.

My horror applies the same for girls. Wearing shorts that are too short, with flip-flops that scream 'immaturity' to classes.

Folks who dress like that don't tell me that they are game for the task at hand.

And on hairstyles, please don't dye your hair too harshly! A slightly different hue of brown is fine, but a screaming orange or a sharp dash of pink? What does it tell people? I feel that this is a pet peeve for me.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Don't.

Ever.
Why not?

I haven't found the need for construction site visits yet, but I read newspapers with business folks attending to project openings in somewhat that entire, with safety helmets.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I love you brother but after I finish my current gig the only suit I will ever own again is from Billabong

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Last edited:

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
For those interested in dressing better, I find two youtube channels: Based Zeus (dating+fashion advice, cheap clothes and tips on mindset too) and Teachingmenfashions (a lot of grooming advice and clothes).

That being said, my recommendation would be to go minimalist with clothes because is very easy to overspend if you listen to all people´s advice on what you should were.

If you do not like minimalist or owning just a few clothes, try sharing clothes with people who have a similar size than you, buy second hand or just keep a budget limit to it.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Yes, will do.

Is this blue collar sales role your primary need?

Weird question, but what part of the country are you in?

Jeans and a sport coat work great in Texas and probably most of The South for anything from blue collar/meetings with the working class, up to lunch meetings at all, but formal venues.

Thanks. Midwest. Chicago.

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
I understand this dressing advice, but a large part of why I am not climbing the corporate ladder and not owning a human resource based business is that I hate wearing suits and ties. I hate meeting new people as well, haha. That's just me.

Doing things that I do not like doing adds an unnecessary stress on me that I can better live without. I'd rather spend my energy doing something worthwhile than wear uncomfortable clothes to impress some people whose opinion I do not care about.

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
For those interested in dressing better, I find two youtube channels: Based Zeus (dating+fashion advice, cheap clothes and tips on mindset too) and Teachingmenfashions (a lot of grooming advice and clothes).

I watch Real Men, Real Style, the Gentlemen's Gazette, and Sartorial Talks. I will check out the TeachingMenFashions.

These were helpful in learning about little things such as how to wear a pocket square and new ways to tie a necktie.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
I have probably 60-70 ties -- and I haven't worn one in years. My current function has me interacting with customers frequently, but as a tech expert, not as a sales guy. I started out with a jacket and tie, and rapidly realized I was dressed about 3 levels higher than 98% of my clients. Now I wear slacks and a nice shirt and I still out-dress the clients.

I really don't care for the current fitting style for jackets and suits -- fitted so snug that it looks like you're busting out of them. Fabric puckered and straining a bit against the buttons when you're in a relaxed neutral position, and worse if you actually move. It's like the "skinny jeans" of jackets, but it seems to be the style for young men. I'm 61 and I don't care for it. I'll stick with jackets that have enough fabric to reach the buttons, and pants with enough inseam to reach my shoes.

Suit.jpg

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I understand this dressing advice, but a large part of why I am not climbing the corporate ladder and not owning a human resource based business is that I hate wearing suits and ties. I hate meeting new people as well, haha. That's just me.

Doing things that I do not like doing adds an unnecessary stress on me that I can better live without. I'd rather spend my energy doing something worthwhile than wear uncomfortable clothes to impress some people whose opinion I do not care about.

The way I see it is that @Kak plays the game on a different level. Do you need to dress for success if you're a solopreneur working on your e-commerce store? Not really as you don't interact with people face to face so there's no point in buying a nice suit if you aren't going to wear it anyway. If you're fine with running a small business, I don't think that Kak has a problem with that.

Should you pay more attention to your clothes when you negotiate with millionaires or billionaires who can potentially sign a 7-figure contract with you? I think so. It's a completely different world where every single detail matters.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
The way I see it is that @Kak plays the game on a different level. Do you need to dress for success if you're a solopreneur working on your e-commerce store? Not really as you don't interact with people face to face so there's no point in buying a nice suit if you aren't going to wear it anyway. If you're fine with running a small business, I don't think that Kak has a problem with that.

Should you pay more attention to your clothes when you negotiate with millionaires or billionaires who can potentially sign a 7-figure contract with you? I think so. It's a completely different world where every single detail matters.

Yeah, when I attend an event or dinner where I have to dress up, I do. My mom always taught me to dress exact to the occasion. Right now at my desk doing computer work, I'm naked, tonight we have to go to Dallas and I have to get dressed up and all fancy. I do hate when I think others are going to be dressed up and I get there and I'm one of the only people dressed up. There is a time and place for dressing every way, if only some people could match those times and places to the correct clothing.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
So I am at a shareholders meeting tomorrow on behalf of my company. I will be wearing a tie (sigh) but most of the shareholders will be less formal. I figure for the few times I actually plan to do this, I can play a role. To me it's like putting on a costume.

My mentor always dressed on step ABOVE everyone. That was his thing. He always wanted me to dress for success. I generally wore a polo or Tommy Bahama shirt and pants.

The one and ONLY time he ever saw me in a full suit and tie was at his funeral, as my final show of respect.

Kyle meets with senators, government officials, lobbyists, and CEO's. They still have a uniform.

I prefer to meet with my kid at the beach.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.