The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does your "get rich" internet guru only make $28K/yr?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
NOTE: This thread is NOT referencing anyone here at the forum, but the idea of it evolved from the plethora of internet gurus who now use this strategy as their "PROOF" of success.

$28,500 a year.

Not a big income right?

In Arizona, that's someone who makes $13.70 an hour working 40 hours a week all year. In Arizona, minimum wage is $10.

$28,500 is certainly not big enough of an income to consider yourself "rich" -- and certainly not big enough to PROVE that you're capable or qualified to give advice about wealth, money, or finance.

If you earned $28,500 a year in the United States, you would be considered lower-middle class, near poverty, depending on your family situation.

But what if you made $35,000 a year and lived at home with your parents, had no utility bills, no student loans, and you still hung out on your parents health insurance plan?

Well $28,500/year is all you would need to lease a Lamborghini Huracan and advertise yourself as the internet's next 25 year old "I'm rich" guru.

Yup, that's how much it costs to lease a Lamborghini, roughly $2,400 a month.

Screenshot-2018-3-16 2015 Lamborghini Huracan LP610-4 Coupe 2-Door eBay.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 1.21.44 PM.png

Is $2,400/mo the threshold to symbolize the ultimate in freedom and wealth?

Not exactly.

It's a start.

But it's not going to move any meter, unless your meter is an exotic car used as a prop to fool people into presuming you're making $240,000/mo.

I bring this up because it now seems the litmus test for guru legitimacy is to be standing in front of an exotic car, a Ferrari, Lambo, whatever. Heck, even I did this nearly 10 years ago (although I paid cash for my Lambo).

My point is: If your guru is standing in front of an exotic car, IS PROVES NOTHING. It doesn't prove he/she's rich. It doesn't prove he's "printing money". Heck, it doesn't even prove he/she leased it. Not a day passed in public when I had strangers taking photos in front of my Lambos, as if they owned it.

So please, next time you're evaluating a guru -- please don't look at his exotic car and presume it's a symbol of "oh wow, he's rich."

If anything, it might prove that he makes less than he's projecting.

Something to think about...

While I haven't owned an exotic in a few years, if I ever own one again I'm not sure I'm going to be taking pictures of me standing in front of it. Maybe 10 years ago, but in this day-and-age of using exotics as props, I think it might have the opposite effect. Or am I just too jaded because I'm aware of it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I'm probably one of the few but when I see someone standing in front of a car like that, here is what happens in my mind.... RED FLAG RED FLAG!!!! He is probably fake and works at Burger King.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to rent one of those mansions for the day to video in?

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
While I haven't owned an exotic in a few years, if I ever own one again I'm not sure I'm going to be taking pictures of me standing in front of it. Maybe 10 years ago, but in this day-and-age of using exotics as props, I think it might have the opposite effect. Or am I just too jaded because I'm aware of it?

It shames me to admit this given the quality of the book, but the "Lambos and road to wealth" theme came *this close* to putting me off TMF .

I think you're zeroing in on a real trend, though. You're not the first I've heard mention that the landscape is changing, as far as what kinds of images, writing, themes are effective in marketing.

For one thing I think that some segments of the population are getting more savvy to the standard Bro-marketing arsenal -- all the images and phrases are saturated and losing their force.

It can't capture attention if it no longer stands out from the background noise.

Here's a more interesting question: just who is getting clued in, and who isn't? And which of these do we want to do business with?

It's easy to game traffic, pull in the kinds of folks lured in by pictures of hot cars and diamond watches and other signs of consumption.

Is this traffic worth having?

Maybe for somebody. But maybe there are advantages to having more sophisticated customers.

It's a good reason to think hard about your market, and just who your message is reaching.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It shames me to admit this given the quality of the book, but the "Lambos and road to wealth" theme came *this close* to putting me off TMF .

I wrote TMF more than 10 years ago and it was a different time. But yea, that angle is probably costing me some readers in today's climate.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016

I think you're zeroing in on a real trend, though. You're not the first I've heard mention that the landscape is changing, as far as what kinds of images, writing, themes are effective in marketing.

For one thing I think that some segments of the population are getting more savvy to the standard Bro-marketing arsenal -- all the images and phrases are saturated and losing their force.

It can't capture attention if it no longer stands out from the background noise.

Here's a more interesting question: just who is getting clued in, and who isn't? And which of these do we want to do business with?

It's easy to game traffic, pull in the kinds of folks lured in by pictures of hot cars and diamond watches and other signs of consumption.

Is this traffic worth having?

Maybe for somebody. But maybe there are advantages to having more sophisticated customers.

It's a good reason to think hard about your market, and just who your message is reaching.

I still think this type of marketing still works as I believe it will always be a numbers game. If you can attract 100,000 people to look at your ad and read great copy you are almost guaranteed to lure in a few suckers who will shell out a few hundred for a course or consultation. It should be enough to cover the cost of marketing, everything after that is gravy!

You are forgetting that 99% of people are still stuck in the matrix. They want EASY money and someone to hold their hand. In comes the GURU. Without @SinisterLex, we would never have awoken to being played by these sleazy marketers.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I agree with you, though I think this marketing works and will work for a long time because there are so many people who just automatically see a Lambo and assume wealth, freedom, and credibility

What about the people that share bank statements/deposits to their social following saying "I made xx,xxx in ONE DAY"

I see those (and I see a lot of them through Youtube, Instagram, and Facebook) and can't help but think they are full of it...maybe I am just a skeptic though

But, flashing your bank statements and exotic cars screams red flag to me

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
You are forgetting that 99% of people are still stuck in the matrix. They want EASY money and someone to hold their hand. In comes the GURU. Without @SinisterLex, we would never have awoken to being played by these sleazy marketers.

I forget a lot of things these days, but I'm pretty sure this isn't one of them.

What you're saying here is not quite the point I was getting at.

I don't doubt this stuff works; in fact I said as much in the post you're responding to.

My question was more to do with whether some people might be getting "vaxinated" against the least-common-denomenator tactics, whether this is creating a difference in traffic quality that might be worth paying attention to.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I agree, most people see a hot car and a hot chick, put a cool pair of sun glasses on the guy and people will buy it almost every time. But yes, some are getting 'schooled' and won't fall for it these days. On the other hand, with the growing population, it's probably the same amount that will fall for it as far as numbers go.

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
I wrote TMF more than 10 years ago and it was a different time. But yea, that angle is probably costing me some readers in today's climate.

Hey @MJ DeMarco curious what your thoughts are on how you, with a real, valuable, actionable, insightful product to offer (TMF ) would approach the market in today’s world. Do you think it’s harder now for real gurus for lack of a better word with true and real knowledge to share to help others to get their voice heard and stand out in the market with so much noise and bad intent gurus out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
That income would be lower with taxes. I think at that bracket its 8% plus 2%? AZ income tax?

10% then.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Ha, I saw a vid the other week of a guy in a Hurrican and I just thought he must have a Rich Daddy never thought of the Elaborate conjob angle but you are right

I think you are being sensitive though cuz you also operate in the same market, so naturally you get to thinking "gah screw this guy" :p
I'm thinking I might lease one for a month and go on a road trip though
Take a bunch of pics to annoy people, lol xD

Last edited:

Lord Business

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Feb 24, 2018
finland
I don't know if it's by default or a learnt thing for me, but I'm automatically drawn to rich and successful people, who drive midclass cars, live in midclass homes and work long hours. For me this is much more amazing and aspiring to see than a "millionaire" with a lambo. Like Robert de Niro, dude is in a great grandfather-aged and still pumping out 2-3 movies a year like a it's the only thing that matters in life. That's what I want to emulate.
A little off the topic..sry
"With great power comes great responsibility" - Spiderman's uncle.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Without @SinisterLex, we would never have awoken to being played by these sleazy marketers.
I think (hope?) many of us know instinctively they are sleazy marketers? Especially as it’s so prevalent now-a-days.

It’s taken me a while to purge my Facebook feed of all the ads promoting the laptop & hammock or lambo & supermodel lifestyles.

Facebook seems to have realized how poor the user experience is getting - hence their recent algorithm updates.

The spammers will just adapt their strategies and/or move elsewhere. The cycle will continue as the current strategies are flogged to death and new ones pop up that differentiate the smart sleazy marketers from the me-too sleazy marketers.

Linkedin seems even worse, which surprised me since it’s supposed to be more business related than Facebook.

I do think the world is slowly waking up to the script, and MJ’s message is needed now more than ever - lest people dig themselves further into debt buying over-priced and over-hyped lifestyle courses that promise secrets and shortcuts that can’t be kept.

It seems like the whole internet is in a warrior forum feeding frenzy at the moment.

@SinisterLex showed us how premeditated and intentional the top guys are at getting their market to raise their hands and part with their cash.

Unfortunately, much of their market seem to be turning around and trying to apply those very same techniques to their past selves.

I’ve no doubt many people are getting the initial help they need to start their unscripted life.

I’ve also no doubt a lot of people are getting fleeced and a LOT money is changing hands... going from the hopeful to those preying on them.

I also see this as a massive opportunity for those of us whose heart is in the right place and who can genuinely help people get started in their entrepreneurial endevours.

The coaching and courses space is already huge and likely just going to keep getting bigger.

I just hope that those who do best will be those who can genuinely make a difference, and not those who are the cleverest marketers.

MJ’s books are a breath of fresh air in this space.

MJ stands out because he’s passionate about waking people from their slumber, rather than passionate about taking money from them.

It’s MJ’s *intent* that makes this forum an oasis online.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I don't know if it's by default or a learnt thing for me, but I'm automatically drawn to rich and successful people, who drive midclass cars, live in midclass homes and work long hours. For me this is much more amazing and aspiring to see than a "millionaire" with a lambo.
I totally agree. What I see, when I see that successful person still working, is a person with real character. They believe in the life they've built, and they are still contributing value to that life, and the community around them.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What about the people that share bank statements/deposits to their social following saying "I made xx,xxx in ONE DAY"

Like one of my brokerage accounts here?

fake-statement.jpg

Hey @MJ DeMarco curious what your thoughts are on how you, with a real, valuable, actionable, insightful product to offer (TMF) would approach the market in today’s world.

I probably wouldn't have written the book in today's market. Too many fakers, too much noise, too much saturation.

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
I'm a Ford F-150 kind of guy so the Lambos never impress me anyway....:)
Ditto! Perfectly happy with my F150

It’s taken me a while to purge my Facebook feed of all the ads promoting the laptop & hammock or lambo & supermodel lifestyles.
Damn, I need to do this.. never thought of it lol

I probably wouldn't have written the book in today's market. Too many fakers, too much noise, too much saturation.
Totally understand, and I think many honest folks like you think the same.. just makes me feel bad for the ton of people out there who are mostly stuck with the fake gurus out there getting scammed :(

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
I think (hope?) many of us know instinctively they are sleazy marketers?

I've been reading a lot of books on selling, persuasion and copywriting lately and one thing I have learned so far is that people are irrational and base their decisions on emotions.

Everyone will agree that the path that we take has many ups and downs, during these down times is when we are most vulnerable. When we are down in the dumps, our bullshit detector may not be functioning correctly as we are desperate for a solution. In the poker game of life, we are going off-tilt. Many pros have gone bust due to this. You know you are making bad decision, but who cares at this point?

ANYONE can get conned when your defences are down.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
I don't know if it's by default or a learnt thing for me, but I'm automatically drawn to rich and successful people, who drive midclass cars, live in midclass homes and work long hours. For me this is much more amazing and aspiring to see than a "millionaire" with a lambo. Like Robert de Niro, dude is in a great grandfather-aged and still pumping out 2-3 movies a year like a it's the only thing that matters in life. That's what I want to emulate.
A little off the topic..sry
"With great power comes great responsibility" - Spiderman's uncle.

Robert De Niro snaps at wife for 'spending all my money'

Robert DeNiro is a sidewalker. He makes movies because he has to. He is no different from the cubical rats. He hasn't made a good movie in years....Very sad

Lord Business

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Feb 24, 2018
finland
Robert De Niro snaps at wife for 'spending all my money'

Robert DeNiro is a sidewalker. He makes movies because he has to. He is no different from the cubical rats. He hasn't made a good movie in years....Very sad
Oh.. wasn't aware of that. But either way the point stands - you know the people I mean - rich and accomplished, but still grinding it out like crazy, because they have purpose @MJ DeMarco for example - something drives this man to spend absurd amount of time here every day, others - Grant Cardone, Gary V, Warren Buffet, Clint Eastwood, Daymond John ect.
It's the purpose or the drive or the mission I admire the most, not just the amount of money they make.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
As the saying goes, there is nothing new under the sun. I remember in the late 80s, maybe early 90s there was a guy pitching a get rich quick course (real estate based, I think) where most of the tv info-mercial was set on a yacht with a bunch of girls on it. The pitch was "I came to this country broke, and look at me NOW! You can do it too!!!" Rodney Wu I think? It was a long time ago but the yacht was the equivalent of the supercar in the picture.

If I recall correctly, the pitch man did eventually get jammed up for fraud or something along those lines. Nothing, not - a - thing new under the sun.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MJ stands out because he’s passionate about waking people from their slumber, rather than passionate about taking money from them.

You hit the nail on the head here.

In my value hierarchy, awakening is #1. Money is secondary. Most gurus have money #1 and their primary goal is extracting as much of it as they can from you.

As the saying goes, there is nothing new under the sun. I remember in the late 80s, maybe early 90s there was a guy pitching a get rich quick course (real estate based, I think) where most of the tv info-mercial was set on a yacht with a bunch of girls on it. The pitch was "I came to this country broke, and look at me NOW! You can do it too!!!" Rodney Wu I think? It was a long time ago but the yacht was the equivalent of the supercar in the picture.

Tom Vu, my favorite!

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
You hit the nail on the head here.

In my value hierarchy, awakening is #1. Money is secondary. Most gurus have money #1 and their primary goal is extracting as much of it as they can from you.

Tom Vu, my favorite!

Lol! I wonder what those guru super vague courses “teach” .. I’m assuming super high level, business 101 stuff.. or is it just self-help/motivation shit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Looking at your monthly lease payment made me feel sick to my stomach.

I have never owed anything for a vehicle in my life. Always purchased used cars in cash. For 15 years of my life I would purchase a "new" car every 3 or so years for $3-3,500, and then sell the "old one" for $1-2,000. My cars would require new tires, and regular maintenance, but nothing major. If they required major work (my poor Subaru needed a head gasket...) I would sell them with full disclosure as to the work required.

Oh, and I always worked in what was considered high-class corporate positions, or their equivalent in the oil field. Only recently did I splurge on something nicer. And that was a 3 year old Acura, also paid in cash at less than half of the new list price.

The thought of having a payment on anything puts a pit in my stomach. The thought of a payment on a super-car toy makes me sick.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Oh yea, I am also on a beach in a tropical environment right now. Should I post a picture of my laptop on my legs with palm trees and water behind me? With a nice big margarita beside me on a table? Baller! Must mean I am loaded, living the nomad-dream... right?

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I admit I was skeptical when I first bought MJ's first generation of the millionaire fast lane with the lambo cover. Officially now a collectors item with fair market value of $200 ;).

But I liked the book because it spoke to a different part of me of how to make money.

But these days everyone is trying to sell shit on a stick. I was just on youtube and saw an ad with some someone throwing around familiar fast lane concepts.o_O It's really getting out of hand.

I truly believe that 90% of success is self-awareness of our own thinking and being able to identify errors of thought. I think most people aren't drawn to this philosophy because it's difficult to make the connection of how this is gonna get them money and lambos. But the studies are clear that the most successful personality traits are awareness and consciousness.

Books and courses that don't advertise getting rich are usually the ones I'm drawn to. With the exception of one or two other books, unscripted and TMF are the only entrepreneurship books I have recently read in a long time. Everything else looks just plain boring to others :rofl: but has literally had a revolutionary effect in my thinking. The best material is not advertised as promising riches.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.