The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does Wordpress violate the Control commandment?

Sascha Venus

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Jan 15, 2018
Germany
I'm seriously thinking about if a Wordpress website violates Control?
I have never seen or heard of a Wordpress website myself which was turned down by Wordpress and therefore the income stream of the owner. Also, I've never paid Wordpress any penny so far when building profitable websites. I only paid for hosting providers, plugins, and themes.
So, I'm wondering if it still violates the command of Control and if yes what the reason for that is, maybe I'm too close-minded to see the bigger picture on this...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
I'm not sure I'm understanding you right. Do you mean being hosted on wordpress.com (where your blog is thisblogsname.wordpress.com)? Or are you talking about using the self-hosted WP software in general?

It's good practice not to build a website you want to do anything "serious" with on somebody else's platform, so if you mean the first thing, then yes, I think it does violate control.

If you just mean using WP on your own server, then I don't see that it does any more than using a pencil and paper.

Sascha Venus

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Jan 15, 2018
Germany
I'm not sure I'm understanding you right. Do you mean being hosted on wordpress.com (where your blog is thisblogsname.wordpress.com)? Or are you talking about using the self-hosted WP software in general?

It's good practice not to build a website you want to do anything "serious" with on somebody else's platform, so if you mean the first thing, then yes, I think it does violate control.

If you just mean using WP on your own server, then I don't see that it does any more than using a pencil and paper.
Thanks!
Yeah I mean using Wordpress as pencil & paper, well said!
I just wanted to be sure.

D

Deleted50669

I’m a heavy user of wordpress. The customer only has control of what they agreed to have control of in the terms of service. I’ll admit, I didn’t read it line for line. But I can tell you that for things like theme / plugin incompatibility, wordpress waives their liability. That’s one of the most common risks, and I’ve already encountered it. I advise having backup theme and plugin options at the ready once you have site requirements documented. Now, in terms of control of the site itself, that’s a service level agreement. If you were churning profit and wordpress denied access to your dashboard or something like that, that’s a lawsuit to the core.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry P

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Oct 10, 2017
McKinney, TX
You're ok using WordPress and WordPress.com, as you can migrate your site and data to another hosting service. The data you build is yours and is easily redeployed eslewhere. The danger is getting locked into proprietary platforms like Wix, Weebly, Squarespace, etc. I do use Weebly, for simplicity and quick mock ups, but I know if I build out anything serious I can't easily move it to any other platform. My work and data is locked in to their platform. I also cannot backup and redeploy sites to other hosts as I could with a WordPress site.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.