The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Does Wordpress violate the Control commandment?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Sascha Venus

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 15, 2018
Germany
I'm seriously thinking about if a Wordpress website violates Control?
I have never seen or heard of a Wordpress website myself which was turned down by Wordpress and therefore the income stream of the owner. Also, I've never paid Wordpress any penny so far when building profitable websites. I only paid for hosting providers, plugins, and themes.
So, I'm wondering if it still violates the command of Control and if yes what the reason for that is, maybe I'm too close-minded to see the bigger picture on this...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 2, 2017
I'm not sure I'm understanding you right. Do you mean being hosted on wordpress.com (where your blog is thisblogsname.wordpress.com)? Or are you talking about using the self-hosted WP software in general?

It's good practice not to build a website you want to do anything "serious" with on somebody else's platform, so if you mean the first thing, then yes, I think it does violate control.

If you just mean using WP on your own server, then I don't see that it does any more than using a pencil and paper.

Sascha Venus

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 15, 2018
Germany
I'm not sure I'm understanding you right. Do you mean being hosted on wordpress.com (where your blog is thisblogsname.wordpress.com)? Or are you talking about using the self-hosted WP software in general?

It's good practice not to build a website you want to do anything "serious" with on somebody else's platform, so if you mean the first thing, then yes, I think it does violate control.

If you just mean using WP on your own server, then I don't see that it does any more than using a pencil and paper.
Thanks!
Yeah I mean using Wordpress as pencil & paper, well said!
I just wanted to be sure.

404profound

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 27, 2017
Desert of Desertion
I’m a heavy user of wordpress. The customer only has control of what they agreed to have control of in the terms of service. I’ll admit, I didn’t read it line for line. But I can tell you that for things like theme / plugin incompatibility, wordpress waives their liability. That’s one of the most common risks, and I’ve already encountered it. I advise having backup theme and plugin options at the ready once you have site requirements documented. Now, in terms of control of the site itself, that’s a service level agreement. If you were churning profit and wordpress denied access to your dashboard or something like that, that’s a lawsuit to the core.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry P

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 10, 2017
Richardson, TX
You're ok using WordPress and WordPress.com, as you can migrate your site and data to another hosting service. The data you build is yours and is easily redeployed eslewhere. The danger is getting locked into proprietary platforms like Wix, Weebly, Squarespace, etc. I do use Weebly, for simplicity and quick mock ups, but I know if I build out anything serious I can't easily move it to any other platform. My work and data is locked in to their platform. I also cannot backup and redeploy sites to other hosts as I could with a WordPress site.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Hi Fox, After reading your threat and watching some of your youtube I have several query ? 1...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
If you read the last message then you know I'm removing my courses from Udemy next month. You...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
PS. what do you think about the idea of setting up live Busking experiences on Air BNB? I could...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom